ImageImageImage

Trade rumors-Bagley

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,692

Re: Trade rumors-Bagley 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:47 pm

440BB wrote:If Diallo can't be traded until December 19, three months after he signed, I expect Bagley will be gone before the Pistons have enough to offer, probably by December 16. The Kings also don't need point guards so I can't see us being able to unload Joseph on them. Even the Kings have a bit of common sense.
:lol:

(Bolded)

Thanks, I needed the laugh. Whew.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#22 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Our GM should be looking for another Christian Wood - someone who has the height/length/athletic ability to catch some lobs from Cade and Saben Lee - once our coach removes his head from his rear and stops playing CoJo. Any shooting ability would be a bonus, even 10 feet out.

This team completely lacks a big with length and hops that can catch a lob. Who would have thought we would be praying for someone as athletic as Mason Plumlee?

Look at every G-league team and find an underappreciated, athletic big. Cut McGruder if need be. Or honestly, bring McGruder back as our 3rd string PG, play Saben Lee and cut CoJo.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#23 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:35 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Our GM should be looking for another Christian Wood

Riddle me this... name an NBA GM who _shouldn't_ be looking for another Christian Wood.
<deep sigh>
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#24 » by Manocad » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:54 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Our GM should be looking for another Christian Wood - someone who has the height/length/athletic ability to catch some lobs from Cade and Saben Lee - once our coach removes his head from his rear and stops playing CoJo. Any shooting ability would be a bonus, even 10 feet out.

This team completely lacks a big with length and hops that can catch a lob. Who would have thought we would be praying for someone as athletic as Mason Plumlee?

Look at every G-league team and find an underappreciated, athletic big. Cut McGruder if need be. Or honestly, bring McGruder back as our 3rd string PG, play Saben Lee and cut CoJo.

Or just draft one.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:18 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:

Riddle me this... name an NBA GM who _shouldn't_ be looking for another Christian Wood.
<deep sigh>

Yeah, so why aren't we? I don't expect Weaver to hit on every move - but our bigs right now are Stewart and Garza (if KO and Lyles are both out).

OK, start looking at every G-league big - who he can cut and bring in a big. That's his job, right?

Maybe he needs to bring up Chieck Diallo. Maybe he needs to find a big that doesnt have a 2-way contract and sign them.

Another thing to consider: Pistons cut Louis King a couple years ago - hes scoring 30+ points a game in the g-league. Maybe he is better than McGruder?

Always be closing/improving.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#26 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:26 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

<deep sigh>

Yeah, so why aren't we? I don't expect Weaver to hit on every move - but our bigs right now are Stewart and Garza (if KO and Lyles are both out).

OK, start looking at every G-league big - who he can cut and bring in a big. That's his job, right?

Maybe he needs to bring up Chieck Diallo. Maybe he needs to find a big that doesnt have a 2-way contract and sign them.

Another thing to consider: Pistons cut Louis King a couple years ago - hes scoring 30+ points a game in the g-league. Maybe he is better than McGruder?

Nope. That's the "win now" approach. It doesn't work.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#27 » by chrbal » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:55 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

<deep sigh>

Ignoring the fact that I’m pretty sure we’re already at 17 players, these guys don’t really bring anything long term.

If there’s another Christian Wood situation, sure you take a chance. But that’s always true.

King has had TWO really good games so far in the two he’s played.

Teams better off developing what they have. Would have made more sense to leave a spot open, but whatever
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#28 » by Pharaoh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:28 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:

<deep sigh>

But you're underestimating the value of veterans on the roster.

You can't have 17 dudes 23 and under out there all trying to learn, develop and earn their way. That would be a disaster IMO.

Guys like McGruder have value in other ways than playing actual games. He's not stealing minutes or blocking anyone but I imagine in the locker room, on the bus, on the plane, on the road, at practice and shoot arounds he does provide value to the team.

Otherwise Weaver wouldn't have him on the roster. Regardless of any family connection or whatever. Cause if they are that close than you know Weaver has a high expectation of what McGruder should be bringing and if he's not bringing that he'd get sent off real quick.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Riddle me this... name an NBA GM who _shouldn't_ be looking for another Christian Wood.
<deep sigh>

You can't have 17 dudes 23 and under out there all trying to learn, develop and earn their way. That would be a disaster IMO.

Guys like McGruder have value in other ways than playing actual games. He's not stealing minutes or blocking anyone but I imagine in the locker room, on the bus, on the plane, on the road, at practice and shoot arounds he does provide value to the team.

Otherwise Weaver wouldn't have him on the roster. Regardless of any family connection or whatever. Cause if they are that close than you know Weaver has a high expectation of what McGruder should be bringing and if he's not bringing that he'd get sent off real quick.

I think Casey leans far to the 'vets are what make the NBA' compared to most coaches.

For vets we have: Grant, Cojo, KO, Lyles, Josh Jackson has been in the league 5 years. Is it really important to have the 15th guy on the roster be 30 years old and the towel waver, hype guy?

It may be the right move but I still like the idea of looking for talent. Even looking for under-valued vets. D.Rose was brought in. I dont like the idea of having a roster spot be saved for Rodney McGruder. This team is bad. Swing for the fence. Saving a spot for McGruder is not swinging.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#30 » by vege » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:10 am

Sacramento tried to showcase Bagley in the first half and his value probably dropped some more lmao.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#31 » by FloridaMan78 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:12 am

vege wrote:Sacramento tried to showcase Bagley in the first half and his value probably dropped some more lmao.

And Grant looks checked out. Hmmm. 2 unprotected first rounders and it’s a done deal.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#32 » by Pharaoh » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

I think Casey leans far to the 'vets are what make the NBA' compared to most coaches.

For vets we have: Grant, Cojo, KO, Lyles, Josh Jackson has been in the league 5 years. Is it really important to have the 15th guy on the roster be 30 years old and the towel waver, hype guy?

It may be the right move but I still like the idea of looking for talent. Even looking for under-valued vets. D.Rose was brought in. I dont like the idea of having a roster spot be saved for Rodney McGruder. This team is bad. Swing for the fence. Saving a spot for McGruder is not swinging.

FJ, JJ, Diallo etc were all swings. Lyles is a swing. Look at all the additional picks we've used too.

If McGruder wasn't bringing something to the table he'd be gone by now.

Manocad
RealGM

Post#33 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:32 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

Look for undervalued VETS? For what? More wins now? McGruder was one of the handful of players who wasn't an embarrassment in tonight's game.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#34 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Idk about Bagley now rather find a guy that can play better defense down low.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
jordan3202
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#35 » by jordan3202 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Bags has a negative value right now so unless you can get him for cheap and think he could improve with a change in scenery I would leave it alone. I'm all for riding out this season, draft a big. There is plenty at the top of the draft.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#36 » by Sort » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Christian Wood defines rebuilding a career from the ashes and I totally respect that, but man, I don't think the Pistons lost much long term and Houston hasn't gained much short or long term. He's a good player, and he certainly is a position of need right now for the Pistons, but Wood isn't helping Houston even be competitive most games.

Bagley is Internet fodder. Long term the dream should be Ayton. No idea what you can meaningfully do at this point after the roster has been constructed with a starting four that doesn't do rebounding and a starting five that's really a starting four glue player. Casey might not be doing a dream job in any sense, but that doesn't change the fact that the pieces don't fit together.

I don't see Bagley moving the dial.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#37 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:54 pm

Sort wrote:Christian Wood defines rebuilding a career from the ashes and I totally respect that, but man, I don't think the Pistons lost much long term and Houston hasn't gained much short or long term. He's a good player, and he certainly is a position of need right now for the Pistons, but Wood isn't helping Houston even be competitive most games.

Bagley is Internet fodder. Long term the dream should be Ayton. No idea what you can meaningfully do at this point after the roster has been constructed with a starting four that doesn't do rebounding and a starting five that's really a starting four glue player. Casey might not be doing a dream job in any sense, but that doesn't change the fact that the pieces don't fit together.

I don't see Bagley moving the dial.

Yeah, I'm looking at this and making a clear distinction of "need" vs "will improve." As I've posted previously the Pistons don't NEED to do anything right now, whether it be short term or long term. They're likely not making the playoffs this year so making moves right now just to get better, i.e. win more games, don't make sense to me. Stick with the rebuilding plan and address the needs when the time is right. And certainly if a deal comes along for a young player at the right price, i.e. contract and what the Pistons would have to give up, that benefits the team long term, go for it. But I don't think Bagley falls into that category because he IS a flyer, so what's the point? It's not like there won't be other flyers out there and flyers IMO are what you use for those last pieces, i.e. players 8-12 who are adequate but that flyer could make a pretty nice improvement if he hits. And if he doesn't, no biggie.

Certainly some will claim that it's disheartening for young players to keep losing games because they don't have X player who fills a position of need, but it's not like they're not being told "Stay the course, we have a plan to build something long term, and we'll address needs in the proper fashion." Of course that makes the assumption that that IS what they're being told, but I'd bet my house they're not being told "What we've got is what we've got. Suck it up and deal with it because this is all you're gonna get."

Return to Detroit Pistons