ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,347

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 

Post#1001 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 pm

TheBunk wrote:Scottie can absolutely guard sgs. Let's not get ridiculous.

His defensive game last night was terrific when you consider how tough this defensive system is for a rookie.

Huh? No, it wasn't. Scottie was not doing that great on CJ (but neither was OG) and Scottie cannot guard quick PGs like Lilliard. Yet. Nuse can't put him on a island against guys like that, he's going to get blown by. And he was not getting funnelled into help.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,332

Post#1002 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Among rookies:

1st PPG
1st REB
2nd BLK
5th AST
9th STL
2nd in FG% (min 50 attempts)
4th in FT% (min 10 attempts)
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,814

Post#1003 » by TheRealDeal » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Ive noticed Scottie almost purposely letting guards by him at times because he loves using his sneaky length & long strides to recover quickly and block people from behind

That might’ve worked in college but it’s a lot more difficult in the NBA. Especially when there’s no rim protector backing him up
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,691

Post#1004 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:13 pm

I think he got a bit rattled and amped by the trash talk yesterday. I know everyone says just run the offense through him but clearly he’s not that guy. I like the opportunities he’s getting, and a bit more would be nice. Playing in other lineups without Fred or Siakam would be best to get that imo. Trade off is less chemistry with those two guys though, which is ultimately long term goal.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
The G-Man
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1005 » by The G-Man » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I think he got a bit rattled and amped by the trash talk yesterday. I know everyone says just run the offense through him but clearly he’s not that guy yet. I like the opportunities he’s getting, and a bit more would be nice. Playing in other lineups without Fred or Siakam would be best to get that imo. Trade off is less chemistry with those two guys though, which is ultimately long term goal.

I think he will become that guy soon. He makes quick reads with the ball and more times than not makes the right decision.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#1006 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
TheBunk wrote:Scottie can absolutely guard sgs. Let's not get ridiculous.

His defensive game last night was terrific when you consider how tough this defensive system is for a rookie.

Huh? No, it wasn't. Scottie was not doing that great on CJ (but neither was OG) and Scottie cannot guard quick PGs like Lilliard. Yet. Nuse can't put him on a island against guys like that, he's going to get blown by. And he was not getting funnelled into help.

Not many that size can guard those smaller players maybe Ben Simmons but even then it still is rough(trey young last years playoffs.. Trey went off)
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,330

Post#1007 » by links135 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Eh, they were actually only 6-14 against Barnes last night. He also posted the best defensive rating in the 2nd half.

More concerning is when Barnes is off the court the last 6 games, the other team is shooting 49% from 3.

We also barely grab any offensive rebounds and we also turn in over 3rd highest on the team when he's off the court, resulting in lost possessions, which means even though we shoot slightly better with him off the court, our offensive rating goes wayyyy down, to the point we have a -18 rating with him off the court.

The bench has been hot garbage the last 6, with them all having roughly a -15 to -18 rating, in fact the starting lineup with Siakam has been doing pretty well, they had a +12 last night and played half the game. Portland also only shot 29% from 3 against the startling lineup.

As soon as Svi or Banton came into the game they basically shot 80% from 3. Really kind of hard to put that on Barnes.
links135
Bench Warmer

Post#1008 » by links135 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Also Mobley went 0-11 as a center, which is similar to how Barnes has to play PF/C right now when he's pretty clearly an SF.

They also shot 9-14 against Mobley, so far showing signs that my theory is right that it's the combination with Allen that's dangerous, Mobley at center would struggle.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#1009 » by alienchild » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,169

Post#1010 » by niQ » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=5AYGhuXFIPeOw7rteRGY9g&s=19
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,890

Post#1011 » by vulture » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:45 pm

https://noceilings.substack.com/p/welcome-to-the-scottie-barnes-experience

At this point, I'm clearly in the wrong with the tier I put him in. Can I feel good about pegging him as one of the five best guys in this class? Absolutely, but what he's already shown on film in the first portion of the 2021-22 NBA season has me re-evaluating not just for tier 2, but possibly tier 1 consideration which is an MVP-caliber player in time.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,917

Post#1012 » by Vorticity » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:30 pm

links135 wrote:Eh, they were actually only 6-14 against Barnes last night. He also posted the best defensive rating in the 2nd half.

More concerning is when Barnes is off the court the last 6 games, the other team is shooting 49% from 3.

We also barely grab any offensive rebounds and we also turn in over 3rd highest on the team when he's off the court, resulting in lost possessions, which means even though we shoot slightly better with him off the court, our offensive rating goes wayyyy down, to the point we have a -18 rating with him off the court.

That's crazy! do you have the link that shows the difference in OffRtg?
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Post#1013 » by ruckus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:55 pm

What astounds me about Scottie this early in his career is that he just has a nose for the ball. He's getting 10-ish ppg just on cleaning up. Once he incorporates an actual offensive game outside of his surprisingly money midrange, he'll be at 25+ ppg scorer.

And I think thats conservative. Just building off what he's currently doing and increasing his usage, he's going to be an offensive beast in a few years.

2/6 3PA = 6 points
5/6 FTA = 5 points
5/10 2PA = 10 points
Plus 5-10 garbage points and he's already there.
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#1014 » by JJ From Deep » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Scottie is back on top on the Rookie Ladder
https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-nov-17-2021-edition

You want poise? Barnes has been even better on the road (19.6 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 54.2% shooting) than at home. That and more earned him high praise from Brooklyn coach Steve Nash: “He can impact the game in a lot of ways. Offensively, I think there is a player that has a high ceiling but is still going to continue to develop. Defensively, he is very versatile and can guard multiple positions, skill sets and actions.” And a slightly less nuanced but more audacious compliment from TNT’s Charles Barkley, predicting the No. 4 pick in the Draft will be Rookie of the Year.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#1015 » by Mikistan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:17 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:Ive noticed Scottie almost purposely letting guards by him at times because he loves using his sneaky length & long strides to recover quickly and block people from behind

That might’ve worked in college but it’s a lot more difficult in the NBA. Especially when there’s no rim protector backing him up

I dont like when he puts his arms down/behind his back to defend on the perimeter - you can get with a little bit of hand-checking in the current nba, you just cant be reaching in/grabbing all the time in front of refs
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#1016 » by Ref_from_hell » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter
links135
Bench Warmer

Post#1017 » by links135 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:06 pm

Vorticity wrote:
links135 wrote:Eh, they were actually only 6-14 against Barnes last night. He also posted the best defensive rating in the 2nd half.

That's crazy! do you have the link that shows the difference in OffRtg?

Yeah, I mentioned it was the last 6 though, since Siakam's been back and this 1-5 losing skid.

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612761/onoffcourt-advanced/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=6&sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,342

Post#1018 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:35 pm

Mikistan wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:Ive noticed Scottie almost purposely letting guards by him at times because he loves using his sneaky length & long strides to recover quickly and block people from behind

I dont like when he puts his arms down/behind his back to defend on the perimeter - you can get with a little bit of hand-checking in the current nba, you just cant be reaching in/grabbing all the time in front of refs

He started doing that because he has been picked on by refs. There have definitely been at least one or two phantom calls against him per game. He has even picked up two technicals in a row now.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#1019 » by Mikistan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:35 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

He started doing that because he has been picked on by refs. There have definitely been at least one or two phantom calls against him per game. He has even picked up two technicals in a row now.

Yup refs know how to **** us
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 22,975

Post#1020 » by HumbleRen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Since OG is out, we're gonna need to stretch the floor even more.

Lemme see some 3's Scottie, don't be scared, let them fly.

Return to Toronto Raptors