ImageImageImage

Game 13: Kings (5-8) @ Pistons (3-9) - Nov. 15 7:00 PM EST

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Game 13: Kings (5-8) @ Pistons (3-9) - Nov. 15 7:00 PM EST 

Post#221 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:33 pm

whitehops wrote:cade and hayes did well and combined for 25 points, it's a shame the rest of the team couldn't help them out.
Lol be careful the Killian Hayes police are out and active.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#222 » by zeebneeb » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:35 pm

NYPiston wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Okay hold on here. I wonder how much NBA basketball some people are watching this year. To get to the damn line this year, you almost have to have a police report to give to the refs.

Cade not getting to the line(he is a ROOKIE)is him not knowing what triggers the refs, and like the rest if the league, are having a tough time getting a whistle, let alone get to the line.

Last year hes probably getting to the line twice as much.

As it should be. The product is WAY more watchable this season as a result outside of the Pistons of course haha. I've watched more NBA regular season games this season than I've seen in years.
Don't misunderstand me, I am loving it. No blood no foul. Im just responding to some who after 8 games are discussing Cades free throw attempts, in any serious tone.

This year has been the best season of basketball I can ever remember. The flow of the game is amazing.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#223 » by TurboTitan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 pm

regardless of how the season is going, getting 12 pages worth of content on a game thread vs the Kings brings the smile to my face. are we back?
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#224 » by Tecmo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:59 pm

My take is that for this specific game, Kings v Pistons, criticism that Cade didn't draw enough fouls isn't warranted. He drove to the hoop when the opportunity presented itself and he wasn't afraid to play physical basketball. He took it to guys. There were a couple times Cade went to the floor and gave that look of "Where's my whistle?" to the refs. They didn't give him the call. I just don't agree with any takes about Cade and free throws right now.

1) He's driving to the hoop.
2) He's playing physical.
3) He's drawing contact.
4) He's scoring and putting the ball in the hoop.
5) He's not getting calls from refs.
6) He's not calling the offense game plan (Casey I suppose is haha).

What do those of you suggest Cade actually do if you think he's not doing enough to get calls? I just don't get the hot take at all. I'd love to see Cade get more calls, but it is out of his control.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#225 » by zeebneeb » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Titan77 wrote:My take is that for this specific game, Kings v Pistons, criticism that Cade didn't draw enough fouls isn't warranted. He drove to the hoop when the opportunity presented itself and he wasn't afraid to play physical basketball. He took it to guys. There were a couple times Cade went to the floor and gave that look of "Where's my whistle?" to the refs. They didn't give him the call. I just don't agree with any takes about Cade and free throws right now.

3) He's drawing contact.

What do those of you suggest Cade actually do if you think he's not doing enough to get calls? I just don't get the hot take at all. I'd love to see Cade get more calls, but it is out of his control.
Here's the thing;

Cade is a rookie, and he is a reserved rookie at that. You can tell he wants to win, and is very vocal out there, but he's not a Jalen Green type in terms of getting pumped up. Cade is even keeled. This also translates to when he goes to the hole. A bunch of NBA players use excessive histrionics to get a call;

1.)Loud yells
2.)flapping of arms like birds
3.)covering face while holding the ball
4.)lobbying the refs everytime down the floor

Cade just doesn't do these things, and to exacerbate the situation, neither does Hayes, Stewart or Grant. Bey is the only one in the starting group I've seen get animated with the refs, but in comparison its tame as hell compared to the rest of the league. In turn, the Pistons are able to play physical defense(especially Hayes)and get away with a bunch. They also get the short end of the stick on calls.

Now, getting one of the "wild screaming" types to occupy the Center position would be a boon. He would draw attention to their plight. Casey, again is to blame for this because there has been several occasions when he should be taking a technical for his players, and hasn't done so. This draws attention to the refs, and helps the lobbying.

Nobody likes whining players, floppers, or "and 1!!" All the damn time, but the reality is that it gets results.

Edit* Add Rasheed Wallace to the group as starting Center and watch how quickly things change. He gets animated as hell, and that would rub off on the other players. You need an emotional leader of the team, and right now, there isn't one.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#226 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Titan77 wrote:My take is that for this specific game, Kings v Pistons, criticism that Cade didn't draw enough fouls isn't warranted. He drove to the hoop when the opportunity presented itself and he wasn't afraid to play physical basketball. He took it to guys. There were a couple times Cade went to the floor and gave that look of "Where's my whistle?" to the refs. They didn't give him the call. I just don't agree with any takes about Cade and free throws right now.

3) He's drawing contact.

Wrong. It's a skill. If you have the skill then nothing else matters. Not the refs, not the rules, not the need to get FT's, not the pace or play of the game. Players who have this skill, like Harden, will get FT's no matter what.

Oh wait--wasn't it Harden who was just bitching about the lack of calls/FT's due to the rule change? Does that mean that the rules and refs ACTUALLY DO HAVE AN IMPACT ON PLAYERS GETTING TO THE FREE THROW LINE?!? Madness!!!
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#227 » by Tecmo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:40 pm

I'm watching the games. Cade is talking to the refs. Sure, he's not flopping, overly acting, or throwing a tantrum but he's talking to the refs. I don't think any of us can assume what he is or isn't doing to work the refs to get calls unless we're privy to the conversations. I'd wager he's got his own approach but it's not going to pay off right now because this early part of the league is a whole different game than year's past.

It's reaching this early into a rookie's career along with the NBA changing how fouls are called to critique Cade. It's also a silly talking point specific to the Kings and Pistons game based on the success Cade experienced.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#228 » by flow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:35 pm

mattao313 wrote:
whitehops wrote:cade and hayes did well and combined for 25 points, it's a shame the rest of the team couldn't help them out.

Speaking of Hayes, Haliburton looked damn good last night.

mattao313
General Manager

Post#229 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:48 pm

TurboTitan wrote:regardless of how the season is going, getting 12 pages worth of content on a game thread vs the Kings brings the smile to my face. are we back?
Lol wish but I just think it's cause Cade had a good game.

Championships
mattao313
General Manager

Post#230 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:50 pm

flow wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

He did I was wrong about wanting Hayes over him so far. I thought he would be more of a role player type looks much better than that tho.

Championships
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#231 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm

flow wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Speaking of Haliburton, Cole Anthony looked damn good last night.

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#232 » by flow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:10 pm

Manocad wrote:
flow wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Lol be careful the Killian Hayes police are out and active.

Speaking of Haliburton, Cole Anthony looked damn good last night.

Anthony wasn't really part of the #7 debate on here (or elsewhere) last year. Hayes & Haliburton are tied at the hip in that regard. And they started against each other for the first time last night.

But no doubt, Cole has surprised a lot of people & is balling out.

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#233 » by Billl » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm

Preseason fans - "All I want this year is for Cade to show out, Casey to play the young guys, and another lotto pick at the end"

12 games in fans after cade dropping 25/8/8, Bey at 25, and killian and stewart starting , all in a loss- "Let's go sign some vets and fire casey so we can win some of these games!"

Obviously we all want the guys to play hard, but this is what happens when you are starting 4 guys who are rookies or 2nd year. And then the 2 top bench minute guys were a rookie and a 23 yr old. If you don't want to watch the youngsters take their lumps, you should just take this year off and do something else.

Return to Detroit Pistons