Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Re: Paolo Banchero 

Post#141 » by toooskies » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:21 pm

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:honestly only thing that makes sense was that they were both drunk and Sav took one for the team because Paolo is an NBA prospect

So they were both drunk but the cop only arrested one of them and let the other underage one go on his way while drunk?

They've both been charged with crimes, so they didn't "let him go". Savarino is booked for the more serious crime.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#142 » by CptCrunch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:honestly only thing that makes sense was that they were both drunk and Sav took one for the team because Paolo is an NBA prospect

Sav registered a 0.08. What likely happened was that Sav was supposed to be the designated driver and 'only' had a drink or three. Paulo was probably more drunk, so Sav drove Paolo's car. Got pulled over for driving a flashy car late at night. I imagine Paolo has a nice ride.

Durham County DA charged Paolo because he is a Duke basketball player. No other person in NC would get this charge. I doubt neither of them knew this law on the books.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,490

Post#143 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:47 pm

Never heard of this change before. With that said in the age of Uber and Lyft, no reason to be driving when drunk. Especially when you’re living in Durham and you play for Duke. Even if you don’t want to pay for an Uber, your Kings of the school and area. There is a long line of people willing to come pick you up.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#144 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 pm

To do this a few weeks after Ruggs just killed someone...not a good look.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#145 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:40 pm

TraBuch wrote:

So they were both drunk but the cop only arrested one of them and let the other underage one go on his way while drunk?

i mean, there are the options here:

1) Paolo wasn't drunk, and allowed his drunk friend to drive, which in some ways worse considering he should've offered to drive himself if he wasn't drunk

2) Both were drunk and made a stupid fkn decision to drive, and since Paolo is the possible #1 pick, Sav took one for the team and drove instead.

which one do you think it is?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#146 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

1) Paolo wasn't drunk, and allowed his drunk friend to drive, which in some ways worse considering he should've offered to drive himself if he wasn't drunk

2) Both were drunk and made a stupid fkn decision to drive, and since Paolo is the possible #1 pick, Sav took one for the team and drove instead.

Ya there is no option where Paolo looks good here. Unless Sav was the DD then at the party he secretly took shots without anyone knowing and did he best not to show he was drunk and drove. I highly doubt that happened haha. But I wont be surprised if a story similar to that gets pushed out haha.

Again no reason at all to drive dunk, especially in today's age. Take an Uber or take a Lyft. Or again if you dont want to pay for one, Duke players are essentially gods in that area. No shortage of people that would come and pick them up. You basically have to go out of your way to choose to drive drunk or drive with someone who is drunk nowadays. Way too easy to avoid it now.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#147 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

I dunno what happened. What I do know is that he wasn’t cited for underage drinking and the cop left him there with his car. Savarino had a .08 BAC, which is what, 2 or 3 beers? One shot? Having a BAC of 0.08 may make you legally intoxicated, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re drunk.
GoodPointBear
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#148 » by GoodPointBear » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Paolo was charged because Savorino was driving Paolo’s car. Savorino was taken by the officer; while Paolo was left to drive his car back to Durham. Doubt the officer would let Paolo drive home if he thought Paolo were intoxicated / impaired.

Regardless, stupid situation in which to find yourself.

Duke has long forced parties off campus, and, with COVID, they’ve *really* forced parties off campus. Students are renting fields in the country to have parties.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#149 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:07 pm

then Paolo let Sav drive his car while he was drunk and Paolo wasn't, which is soooo dumb. doesn't make sense levels of dumb.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,223

Post#150 » by SNPA » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Not a single NBA team would let this effect drafting him.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#151 » by CptCrunch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:36 pm

GoodPointBear wrote:Paolo was charged because Savorino was driving Paolo’s car. Savorino was taken by the officer; while Paolo was left to drive his car back to Durham. Doubt the officer would let Paolo drive home if he thought Paolo were intoxicated / impaired.

Regardless, stupid situation in which to find yourself.

Duke has long forced parties off campus, and, with COVID, they’ve *really* forced parties off campus. Students are renting fields in the country to have parties.

What source did you use to indicate Paolo was allowed to drive. If that was indeed the case, Durham County DA is once again playing politics with Duke Basketball.

clyde21 wrote:then Paolo let Sav drive his car while he was drunk and Paolo wasn't, which is soooo dumb. doesn't make sense levels of dumb.

Yes, under the influence according to the letter of the law. Right on the line for NC BAC limit, but any amount is over the limit for underaged kid. The point is that that Sav wasn't really 'drunk'. If Paolo was indeed sober and was let off by the cop, then this is a non-story.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#152 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 pm

clyde21 wrote:What is aiding and abetting a DWI? weird charge

i would think what it means is either Paolo was the one who provided the booze to Savarino and/or it was paolo's car that Savarino was driving and paolo said it was ok for savarino to drive the car (possibly because Paolo was even more drunk than savarino was)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#153 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Never heard of this change before. With that said in the age of Uber and Lyft, no reason to be driving when drunk. Especially when you’re living in Durham and you play for Duke. Even if you don’t want to pay for an Uber, your Kings of the school and area. There is a long line of people willing to come pick you up.

when you're that drunk, you don't think logically.

getting drunk is what college kids do.

with that being said, obviously as a D-I student athlete you need to hold yourself to a higher standard - especially if your Coach K's grandson or a projected top pick in the NBA Draft. As a student athlete if your name shows up in the paper for something crime related, it reflects poorly on the team and the school. So they both obviously messed up..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#154 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Never heard of this change before. With that said in the age of Uber and Lyft, no reason to be driving when drunk. Especially when you’re living in Durham and you play for Duke. Even if you don’t want to pay for an Uber, your Kings of the school and area. There is a long line of people willing to come pick you up.

when you're that drunk, you don't think logically.

getting drunk is what college kids do.

with that being said, obviously as a D-I student athlete you need to hold yourself to a higher standard - especially if your Coach K's grandson or a projected top pick in the NBA Draft. As a student athlete if your name shows up in the paper for something crime related, it reflects poorly on the team and the school. So they both obviously messed up..

Sav had a .08 BAC. Its not like these two were belligerent. Also its not that hard to plan ahead. If you plan on going to a party and getting drunk, take an Uber there. If my buddies and I go to a baseball game, we know we plan on getting drunk so we plan ahead and we dont drive, we hop on the train. That's not just being an adult thing either, we've been doing that since we were as young as these guys and its far easier now to plan like that with Uber and stuff.

Again nowadays with all the different options available and again these guys essentially living like kings where they're at. No excuse at all to be driving drunk.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#155 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:37 pm

i'd assume Paolo isn't playing tonight?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#156 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:i'd assume Paolo isn't playing tonight?

Id assume not. I assume he will get a slap on the wrist and miss tonight's game and maybe even Friday's game as well. Both against 2 horrible teams so that is why I wouldnt be shocked if they call it a "week long punishment". Sounds better and Duke isn't at risk of losing these games. But ya most likely just going to miss tonight's game.

On the flip side, just like Sallis last night. Here is an opportunity for AJ to get some legit minutes and play himself into the rotation.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#157 » by CptCrunch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:23 pm

I feel like if Paolo just skips the season (gets suspended for the whole season hypothetically), he goes top 3.

If he plays poorly later on or gets injured, he can drop...
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#158 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Well looks like he’s playing tonight. He’s out there for warmups and Sav isn’t.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,255

Post#159 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:07 am

I guess I'll look at this the other way and give props to him that he didn't drive while drunk. Maybe he thought Coach K's grandkid was okay to drive.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#160 » by DCasey91 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:26 am

Not a good sight in this day and age and not condoning it but boys will be boys. Wouldn’t look too much into it. Life lesson is the better conclusion.

Return to NBA Draft