Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

Jorgeglez7
Sophomore
And1: 92

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#81 » by Jorgeglez7 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am

Hey guys what do you think about this:

Cut Dean Fking Wade and simply bring someone else.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,983

Post#82 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Jorgeglez7 wrote:Hey guys what do you think about this:

I'm not sure anyone else you could bring in at that salary slot would be better than Wade. He's a passable two-way guy who can play multiple positions with some size. You're unlikely to replace him and come out ahead with another league-minimum player.

The problem I saw was that once Bickerstaff decided to go small ball out of necessity, he struggled to get the offense/defense balance right. He had Valentine, Garland, and Rubio in the same lineup too often, for too many minutes, and that's too many defensive liabilities out there at once. At this point in his career, Rubio's an okay defender when he's the one being hidden and he's rested. But if he's being tasked with defending the better guard, and he's played too many minutes, it's no bueno. Valentine can't guard anyone and putting him on Tatum, for any minutes, was mind boggling. The value in having a player like Okoro is you can insert him between two below average defenders who provide spacing on the other end.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jorgeglez7
Sophomore

Post#83 » by Jorgeglez7 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone else you could bring in at that salary slot would be better than Wade. He's a passable two-way guy who can play multiple positions with some size. You're unlikely to replace him and come out ahead with another league-minimum player.

The problem I saw was that once Bickerstaff decided to go small ball out of necessity, he struggled to get the offense/defense balance right. He had Valentine, Garland, and Rubio in the same lineup too often, for too many minutes, and that's too many defensive liabilities out there at once. At this point in his career, Rubio's an okay defender when he's the one being hidden and he's rested. But if he's being tasked with defending the better guard, and he's played too many minutes, it's no bueno. Valentine can't guard anyone and putting him on Tatum, for any minutes, was mind boggling. The value in having a player like Okoro is you can insert him between two below average defenders who provide spacing on the other end.

That's fine if he can make the shots. But in the final quarter, he was at center position and was completely unable to stop one single drive to the rim. Only one. I don't know if that's on him or JBB but was at BEST ANNOYING. If he can't do that, which is maybe not his job, please, you hace 2 consecutive WIDE OPEN THREES and supposed to be a shooter, don't BRICK them. Rubio had to bail out the team being NO shooter or scorer. So he is actually not providing defense and not providing offense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:52 pm

Jorgeglez7 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

That's fine if he can make the shots. But in the final quarter, he was at center position and was completely unable to stop one single drive to the rim. Only one. I don't know if that's on him or JBB but was at BEST ANNOYING. If he can't do that, which is maybe not his job, please, you hace 2 consecutive WIDE OPEN THREES and supposed to be a shooter, don't BRICK them. Rubio had to bail out the team being NO shooter or scorer. So he is actually not providing defense and not providing offense.

Well, he's not a center and they had him on Horford who was out at the perimeter. You could've put Cedi on Horford and Wade on Tatum, but Wade shouldn't be helping off of Tatum either.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#85 » by JonFromVA » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Jorgeglez7 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yep, one of the main ways Dean can contribute is by shooting 3's and he's been missing a lot of them ... just like Lauri, Collin, Kevin, and Isaac. Boston was as brutal on our offense as we were on there's, and we're not doing much to get Dean involved. He got up 2 shots and missed them both? It's not that surprising.

Kevin Love is a lot better at making sure he gets his shots up and can find his own groove, but he can fire up a goose-egg too. We had a whole lot of things working based on the threat of our triple towers ... and by the end of this last game - they were all gone.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Post#86 » by toooskies » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 am

Dean Wade is fine as an 11th man, which is what he is when everyone is healthy. Unfortunately that's a long way off.
Jorgeglez7
Sophomore

Post#87 » by Jorgeglez7 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 am

Right now, he is starting, and is where you can see all the flaws.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#88 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:28 pm

we probably will struggle to win a single game when Mobley is out, depending on when Lauri/Love come back. Wade is our 11th guy and a fill in. He's fine for that spot. the 11th guy on every team kinda stinks.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#89 » by Revenged25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:we probably will struggle to win a single game when Mobley is out, depending on when Lauri/Love come back. Wade is our 11th guy and a fill in. He's fine for that spot. the 11th guy on every team kinda stinks.

With Garland/Okoro/Lauri/Allen they'll put up some kind of fight but they'll be lacking a key piece in either type of game plan to win games in Mobley's defense or Sexton's ability to score (assuming he got back to his 24+ ppg due to necessity).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:25 pm

Jorgeglez7 wrote:Right now, he is starting, and is where you can see all the flaws.

The point is that the league minimum guy you replace him with is going to have plenty of flaws as a starter as well. At least Dean can get hot from 3 point range and play his way up to neutral value on the court.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst

Post#91 » by toooskies » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Honestly it's mostly because of schedule. The Cavs' next 11 games seem to be all the best teams in the league, and then Orlando. The Cavs would've struggled even with Mobley.
Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#92 » by Jingles2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:24 pm

I have to say Cavs are one of my favorite teams to watch this year. Unfortunate injuries and missed time due to covid, but I still think they have a good chance of making the playoffs. That being said I know there have been rumors linking Simmons to Cleveland. When Markkanen becomes trade eligible would a package of Rubio and Markannen get Simmons and would the Cavs want to do that even if it would? Simmons, Garland, Okoro, Mobley and Allen as a starting five.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#93 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Jingles2 wrote:I have to say Cavs are one of my favorite teams to watch this year. Unfortunate injuries and missed time due to covid, but I still think they have a good chance of making the playoffs. That being said I know there have been rumors linking Simmons to Cleveland. When Markkanen becomes trade eligible would a package of Rubio and Markannen get Simmons and would the Cavs want to do that even if it would? Simmons, Garland, Okoro, Mobley and Allen as a starting five.

Presumably that wouldn't be enough to get Simmons without a pile of future draft picks and swaps so Morey can continue to go star hunting with his "treasure chest".

As talented as Simmons is and even if the Cavs figured out a way to cope with his lack of shooting, I simply don't want a player with his attitude/behavior on the team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Jingles2 wrote:I have to say Cavs are one of my favorite teams to watch this year. Unfortunate injuries and missed time due to covid, but I still think they have a good chance of making the playoffs. That being said I know there have been rumors linking Simmons to Cleveland. When Markkanen becomes trade eligible would a package of Rubio and Markannen get Simmons and would the Cavs want to do that even if it would? Simmons, Garland, Okoro, Mobley and Allen as a starting five.

Allen, Okoro, and (probably) Sexton would have to go out in a three-team deal for it to even begin to make sense for the Cavs. Otherwise the spacing would be irreparable. We'd have a pretty serious hole at SG, and if we have to add picks, we couldn't fill it.

The Sixers have Harris so I don't see them being interested in Lauri. They'd want Garland. I have less than zero interest in trading him. He and Mobley are the two guys who the Cavs need to build around.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#95 » by Jingles2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Allen, Okoro, and (probably) Sexton would have to go out in a three-team deal for it to even begin to make sense for the Cavs. Otherwise the spacing would be irreparable. We'd have a pretty serious hole at SG, and if we have to add picks, we couldn't fill it.

The Sixers have Harris so I don't see them being interested in Lauri. They'd want Garland. I have less than zero interest in trading him. He and Mobley are the two guys who the Cavs need to build around.

Yeah, if I was the Cavs front office no way I'm trading Garland, Mobley or Allen to get Simmons. Honestly, I would be worried about an overpayment to keep Sexton who I don't think fits well with Garland. Hoping Okoro can be that 3 and D SG of the future.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#96 » by toooskies » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:35 am

Jingles2 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yeah, if I was the Cavs front office no way I'm trading Garland, Mobley or Allen to get Simmons. Honestly, I would be worried about an overpayment to keep Sexton who I don't think fits well with Garland. Hoping Okoro can be that 3 and D SG of the future.

I'm not worried about overpayment since we didn't overpay last off-season and Sexton will have only a handful of disappointing games to add onto his previous performance.

No one on the market is going to offer a big guaranteed contract to a speed-dependent guy coming off a knee injury except the team that's walking him through his rehab.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#97 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:47 pm

Jingles2 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I was hoping we'd have more than 66 minutes with our super-sized lineup before we'd need to make up our minds whether Sexton fits with Garland or not. There were some positive signs in spite of Lauri and Collin struggling to get their offense going in their new roles and Evan getting his feet wet.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#98 » by mcfly1204 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:55 pm

With Miles Bridges solidifying himself as the SF of the future for Charlotte, I wonder what it would take to pry Hayward away from the Hornets? Love looks like he could help there, but then the question is what Cleveland would have to add to the pot.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#99 » by JonFromVA » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:29 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:With Miles Bridges solidifying himself as the SF of the future for Charlotte, I wonder what it would take to pry Hayward away from the Hornets? Love looks like he could help there, but then the question is what Cleveland would have to add to the pot.

It's not like they could count on Love as their starting PF moving forward, there's no reason they shouldn't keep on doing what they're doing. If anything I'd expect Kelly Oubre to be moved or possibly Terry Rozier if Charlotte can find an upgrade.

Hayward's age and injury history makes him problematic for us ... technically for Charlotte too, but MJ is running that team and he'll presumably enjoy any wins he can squeeze out of Gordon while he can.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:With Miles Bridges solidifying himself as the SF of the future for Charlotte, I wonder what it would take to pry Hayward away from the Hornets? Love looks like he could help there, but then the question is what Cleveland would have to add to the pot.

They desperately need a center. They'd want Allen and Cedi. Hayward's owed too much given his injury history IMO to part with any kind of real value.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers