ImageImage

Giannis - 2X MVP - FMVP - DPOY - Offseason discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Re: Giannis - 2X MVP - FMVP - DPOY - Now Brewers owner 

Post#761 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not gonna give this a second of my thoughts until he actually indicates he wants out.

Not me, I keep reminding myself how lucky we have the best player in the NBA and he could leave at any time. This (or his close knee injury in the playoffs) are a Bucks fan version of a near-death experience. You can become paranoid and anxious, or you can put everything in perspective and enjoy the ride.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,648

Post#762 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:07 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Giannis is really special, and is a pretty unique persona in modern sports in the best way possible. But with this, clearly he's not totally immune to modern sports.

As a fan, yeah i want him here forever. But as a person, is it some kind of flaw to not want to live in Milwaukee when he was randomly put here through a draft? Guy has spent almost a decade here. I was born here and debate every year if I should move somewhere else.

I've heard a lot of things about how he wasn't planning on staying in MKE long-term. You can say it was disproven when he signed the max contract, but I don't think it is that simple. Heard 2 years ago that he was more likely to leave if we won a championship because in his mind that is what he owed the city. What else can he do besides be indebted forever? I think there was a real possibility he was thinking of becoming a FA and it was an extremely tough decision. Who knows if he stays or go. I only care about how he handles it. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the ride.

What I was pointing out isn't about this. It's about the modern sports persona (more specifically, the NBA) of being wishy-washy in commitment to where you are and being very public about it, effectively treating the league as open free agency at all times. There's nothing stopping guys - not just Giannis, but anyone - from not commenting about leaving their current team. It doesn't change that they effectively can at any time, but they just don't have to comment on it. It plants a seed that sends the media wild, especially when you are said best player in the league playing in a small market. We're gonna hear about this forever now.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#763 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Matches Malone wrote:There is a difference between leaving in their twilight vs in their prime if he's saying two-years as a hypothetical in the quotes.

**** would have to go so sideways in the next 2 years (like, career altering injuries to Midds, Jrue, or both) for this team to not still be a contender. It's a zero on the worry scale for me.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,488

Post#764 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Heads we lose tails we lose with that article. Probably just poorly worded English from him, but that doesn't help us on Twitter even though his actions speak much louder than whatever he was trying to say there.

Oh well. He either is here for at least four more years or we trade him for everything and then some.
otmshank1
Junior
And1: 416

Post#765 » by otmshank1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Have you ever set a goal for yourself, accomplish it, and it doesn't feel as good as you thought? And you're left wondering now what? I think he's going through that currently, and his priorities are shifting from basketball to being a father and husband/partner. I used to dedicate my entire identity to my career, but now it is now 4th or 5th on my list of importance after starting a family.
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#766 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:01 pm

I think it's also his continuing tactic to keep the pressure in our front office. Like "show me each year you want it as much as I want it". Take nothing for granted. It worked pretty well so far.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#767 » by emunney » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:56 pm

He could be thinking about his life after basketball for all we know. Def annoying that he chummed the water but I'm not going to waste my energy on this.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#768 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:There is a difference between leaving in their twilight vs in their prime if he's saying two-years as a hypothetical in the quotes.

**** would have to go so sideways in the next 2 years (like, career altering injuries to Midds, Jrue, or both) for this team to not still be a contender. It's a zero on the worry scale for me.

I'm not saying we should be worried but there is a real possibility this team is a shell of it current self in two years.

Downside
-I think it is less than 50/50 on if BroLo will be a passable center on the wrong side 35
-I would expect at least some decline in Jrue (33)/Kris (32)
-DDV likely gone after this year
-Only a late first in the next 2 drafts
-$0 in Tax Space
-If we lose before finals the next 2 years, will owners really want to pay the tax again? (TBH, I wouldn't)

Upside
-Giannis will be getting better
-Always a ring chaser or two add
-Core of Giannis/Midds/Jrue/Allen in tact; maybe Bobby re-upped
-Add tMLE?

Feel free to correct my negativity. But I'm not betting on Midds/Jrue being proper sidekicks on a contender 2 years from now. I could see Giannis wanting a goodbye Milwaukee year before they blow it up.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,848

Post#769 » by Dick Tate » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm

greekbuck34 wrote:I think it's also his continuing tactic to keep the pressure in our front office. Like "show me each year you want it as much as I want it". Take nothing for granted. It worked pretty well so far.

That's the way I read it.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,461

Post#770 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Cool article on Giannis passing.

OMG WHAT? Oh no oh no oh no, please don't be true.

His bounce passes this year I've noticed are much smoother than ever.

RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#771 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:37 pm

I think people are worried too much about that quote. It's almost certainly just him being overly honest, just saying, "I love it here, but who knows what the future holds?" He probably should have thought twice about it, but I don't think there's anything more to it than him just saying that he doesn't have a crystal ball. I mean, I love my wife and plan on being with her until she dies first, but hey, who knows? Maybe she'll destroy my collection of retro video games/consoles and I'll have to send her packing. She was just supportive of me considering buying Packers stock, though, so I think we're probably good until at least next decade.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#772 » by mke_design » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Giannis is a complicated fella.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,201

Post#773 » by Chad34 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Dick Tate wrote:
greekbuck34 wrote:I think it's also his continuing tactic to keep the pressure in our front office. Like "show me each year you want it as much as I want it". Take nothing for granted. It worked pretty well so far.

That's the way I read it.

yeah, I don't think he'll have patience with the current penny pinching mindset of ownership. He wants to be all in every year, and isn't going to be content just making the playoffs. If they want to have someone like giannis, they can't cheap out, or it's going to be adios, and I won't/don't blame him.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#774 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:41 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:I think people are worried too much about that quote. It's almost certainly just him being overly honest, just saying, "I love it here, but who knows what the future holds?" He probably should have thought twice about it, but I don't think there's anything more to it than him just saying that he doesn't have a crystal ball. I mean, I love my wife and plan on being with her until she dies first, but hey, who knows? Maybe she'll destroy my collection of retro video games/consoles and I'll have to send her packing. She was just supportive of me considering buying Packers stock, though, so I think we're probably good until at least next decade.

Lupus
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#775 » by Lupus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Its the first time i write in the forum though i read your threads for years now. Im watching the bucks since the day Giannis drafted (im greek). My opinion about the statement of Giannis is that he seems that he is not feeling ok with the team the new season. You can easily understand that Giannis feels uncomfortable with the Jrew and Khris relationship on and off the court and that he feels there is no connection. Go and watch the last press conferences of Giannis, (he seems unhappy and not having a good time) and compare them with last years. Especially the body language of the press conference with George Hill. Or watch the bucks bench during the games, it is like they lost connection and chemistry...
Chad34
RealGM

Post#776 » by Chad34 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Lupus wrote:Its the first time i write in the forum though i read your threads for years now. Im watching the bucks since the day Giannis drafted (im greek). My opinion about the statement of Giannis is that he seems that he is not feeling ok with the team the new season. You can easily understand that Giannis feels uncomfortable with the Jrew and Khris relationship on and off the court and that he feels there is no connection. Go and watch the last press conferences of Giannis, (he seems unhappy and not having a good time) and compare them with last years. Especially the body language of the press conference with George Hill. Or watch the bucks bench during the games, it is like they lost connection and chemistry...

I believe your observation is right on. I especially feel his chemistry is off with Jrue
RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#777 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Lupus wrote:Its the first time i write in the forum though i read your threads for years now. Im watching the bucks since the day Giannis drafted (im greek). My opinion about the statement of Giannis is that he seems that he is not feeling ok with the team the new season. You can easily understand that Giannis feels uncomfortable with the Jrew and Khris relationship on and off the court and that he feels there is no connection. Go and watch the last press conferences of Giannis, (he seems unhappy and not having a good time) and compare them with last years. Especially the body language of the press conference with George Hill. Or watch the bucks bench during the games, it is like they lost connection and chemistry...

Welcome!

I really believe you are overthinking this. Do you REALLY think that just a couple months after winning the title, crying on the court, celebrating his kinship with Khris, being the toast of the town, the country, and the world, living it up with his brother in Greece with the trophy, so on and so forth, that he is so upset about a slow start to the season that is basically 90% because of injuries and illness that he would give an interview in a major publication and cryptically express his desire to leave? That he is so sensitive that perhaps Khris and Jrue are friends that he wants out? Come on, man.

I know sports brings out the weirdness in all of us, but wow, people are really going to the depths of fan angst.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#778 » by glenn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Oh ffs, the interview was done in August. There's no ulterior motive here. If he wants to let the team know he's unhappy about something he has an agent for that.
:reporter:
Chad34
RealGM

Post#779 » by Chad34 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm

glenn wrote:Oh ffs, the interview was done in August. There's no ulterior motive here. If he wants to let the team know he's unhappy about something he has an agent for that.

that info does make a little bit of difference :lol:
I do still feel that somethings off. probably he just hates losing. Ownership still needs to make sure they're not being complacent. At least fill the 15th roster spot when we're so short handed.
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#780 » by benultimate » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:56 pm

Strange quote, I'm not going to fret it. Yet.

But since he signed that sweet, sweet extension, the bidding starts at 10x Unprotected First Rounders.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks