Game 15 Sixers @ Jazz 11/16/21 @ 10 pm ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Re: Game 15 Sixers @ Jazz 11/16/21 @ 10 pm ET 

Post#81 » by mjkvol » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:09 pm

Mik317 wrote:
Its the same song and dance tho. Relying so much on role players to constantly play above their pay grade is exactly what has lead to us being in this spot. Generally good teams have one role player playing out their mind but generally two or three main guys relied on to be constantly good-great. For example, the Bucks had Giannis, Jrue and Middleton all playing at all star levels or greater and when one faltered the other two would step up...w/ help from role player Bobby Portis going nuts. The Suns on the other hand had Booker..but CP3 was **** his depends lol, and their role players like Payne ran out of juice. Tobias doesn't have that level to carry for a stretch. Hell love the big Potato but he may not either due to his position if nothing else. Which is why Ben...and more importantly Fultz not panning out as expected hurt and the fumbling of the assets afterwards...compounded that lol. Maxey seems like he has some juice but he is also 21...so expecting that out of him today feels unfair.

it is what it is. It is also why just trading Ben for more depth pieces...does nothing at the end of the day. Although just getting better athletes would be nice...tired of Seth, Shake, Kork and Niang slowly dribbling around lol.

TLDR: We are **** and have been for a while.

That is my sad boi hours post of the night

I know this sounds like a hot take during a losing streak, but let's be honest - regardless of the return we get for Simmons, this group is not winning a championship. Harris is little more than a JAG, and has zero ability to put a team on his shoulders, even in short stretches. If we see that, certainly the league sees it, and I can't imagine there's any market whatsoever for him.

I think what needs to happen is management has to approach Embiid to see if he would go for a tank and reset, and in the meantime move Simmons for a youth and pick package and dump guys like Harris, Green, Niang, and Curry for picks at the trade deadline. And Kork if there is a market. If Embiid isn't receptive?? Blow it up time.

This all certainly isn't happening, just a thought.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#82 » by thenbaman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Just hang on folks if not for the covid and injury issues we would have the first or second best record in the league.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#83 » by rzzzzz » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:48 pm

8-2 was not smoke and mirrors. Mainly, Embiid is just that good. Would you be surprised if some of the guys who were hot at the start, start looking a little better when he returns. Also interesting that with all the guys we were missing at the start of this losing streak, we we’re playing close to decent running on the fumes of that hot start, before collapsing. Just let the young guys play until Jo gets back. We just have to take our lumps. After that, we’ll see what Kork and the other early overachievers looks like. Probably not wise to hasten any trades until we got the franchise back.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by mjkvol » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:30 pm

rzzzzz wrote:8-2 was not smoke and mirrors. Mainly, Embiid is just that good. Would you be surprised if some of the guys who were hot at the start, start looking a little better when he returns. Also interesting that with all the guys we were missing at the start of this losing streak, we we’re playing close to decent running on the fumes of that hot start, before collapsing. Just let the young guys play until Jo gets back. We just have to take our lumps. After that, we’ll see what Kork and the other early overachievers looks like. Probably not wise to hasten any trades until we got the franchise back.

I don't disagree, but if Embiid plays his normal 50 or so games we will still be fighting for a play in spot given how they look without him. We have plenty of time before the deadline to make any decisions, but if the goal is a ring I just can't see this group beating the 4-5 best teams.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#85 » by the_process » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 pm

There's another blowout loss coming on Thursday.

Hopefully Jo will be back after that.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#86 » by rzzzzz » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 pm

mjkvol wrote: We have plenty of time before the deadline to make any decisions, but if the goal is a ring I just can't see this group beating the 4-5 best teams.

Yeah, I can’t disagree with that. But I think Ben is good for a great prospect and a quality role player. I’m looking at the Kings.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,069

Post#87 » by Embiid P » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:30 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mik317 wrote:
Its the same song and dance tho. Relying so much on role players to constantly play above their pay grade is exactly what has lead to us being in this spot. Generally good teams have one role player playing out their mind but generally two or three main guys relied on to be constantly good-great. For example, the Bucks had Giannis, Jrue and Middleton all playing at all star levels or greater and when one faltered the other two would step up...w/ help from role player Bobby Portis going nuts. The Suns on the other hand had Booker..but CP3 was **** his depends lol, and their role players like Payne ran out of juice. Tobias doesn't have that level to carry for a stretch. Hell love the big Potato but he may not either due to his position if nothing else. Which is why Ben...and more importantly Fultz not panning out as expected hurt and the fumbling of the assets afterwards...compounded that lol. Maxey seems like he has some juice but he is also 21...so expecting that out of him today feels unfair.

it is what it is. It is also why just trading Ben for more depth pieces...does nothing at the end of the day. Although just getting better athletes would be nice...tired of Seth, Shake, Kork and Niang slowly dribbling around lol.

TLDR: We are **** and have been for a while.

That is my sad boi hours post of the night

I know this sounds like a hot take during a losing streak, but let's be honest - regardless of the return we get for Simmons, this group is not winning a championship. Harris is little more than a JAG, and has zero ability to put a team on his shoulders, even in short stretches. If we see that, certainly the league sees it, and I can't imagine there's any market whatsoever for him.

I think what needs to happen is management has to approach Embiid to see if he would go for a tank and reset, and in the meantime move Simmons for a youth and pick package and dump guys like Harris, Green, Niang, and Curry for picks at the trade deadline. And Kork if there is a market. If Embiid isn't receptive?? Blow it up time.

I could see Embiid potentially getting onboard with a short-term less than a full year tank, but a long-term multiple season one? Nope. I assume that all of those picks and assets we accumulate would then be used to acquire one or two established star players in the offseason or next?

If we go the long-term Process 2.0 route, we'll undoubtedly have to trade Embiid as well.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by mjkvol » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:I know this sounds like a hot take during a losing streak, but let's be honest - regardless of the return we get for Simmons, this group is not winning a championship. Harris is little more than a JAG, and has zero ability to put a team on his shoulders, even in short stretches. If we see that, certainly the league sees it, and I can't imagine there's any market whatsoever for him.

I could see Embiid potentially getting onboard with a short-term less than a full year tank, but a long-term multiple season one? Nope. I assume that all of those picks and assets we accumulate would then be used to acquire one or two established star players in the offseason or next?

If we go the long-term Process 2.0 route, we'll undoubtedly have to trade Embiid as well.

I'm talking about the short term variety tank - Process 2.0 only happens if Embiid is moved in a total blowup, which isn't happening.

We already have our franchise centerpiece and a very promising young player like Maxey, so pretty much everyone else is expendable for the right price. The goal would be to acquire picks and young talent with upside. I'd prefer to do it with another coach, but that's a different topic altogether.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#89 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:39 am

Another wasted season of Embiids prime.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#90 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:15 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:Another wasted season of Embiids prime.

I mean, is it a wasted season of Giannis's prime? They're playing worse than us this season.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Post#91 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 am

Negrodamus wrote:

I mean, is it a wasted season of Giannis's prime? They're playing worse than us this season.

Giannis has won a championship. Embiid hasn't won jack **** and has choked many times in Playoffs at end of games. Giannis doesn't have all that much left to prove, while Embiid, if he cares about this stuff, needs to prove he can achieve more than being second round fodder year after year.
We have already seen this year how Bum Simmons doesn't really make us better, but still, this team is clearly not built around Embiid and I don't see that changing anytime soon. He has to be running out of patience with this sorry ass franchise, I guarantee you that he is already thinking about his next team and destination.
Horrible takes since 2016
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,069

Post#92 » by Embiid P » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:52 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Giannis has won a championship. Embiid hasn't won jack **** and has choked many times in Playoffs at end of games. Giannis doesn't have all that much left to prove, while Embiid, if he cares about this stuff, needs to prove he can achieve more than being second round fodder year after year.
We have already seen this year how Bum Simmons doesn't really make us better, but still, this team is clearly not built around Embiid and I don't see that changing anytime soon. He has to be running out of patience with this sorry ass franchise, I guarantee you that he is already thinking about his next team and destination.

Remember we were 8-2 before Embiid and others went down due to COVID in spite of the Ben Simmons situation. Shouldn't we at least wait until our team is fully healthy (minus Simmons of course) before we write it off as a lost season?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 am

Negrodamus wrote:

You're kidding, right? Giannis has a ring and two MVP's, while Embiid has none of those things.

I'm not the one who called it a wasted season, but you really can't compare the two. Giannis was fortunate enough to be part of a stable organization that understood how to build a contender around him while Embiid has been surrounded by dysfunction since Silver ... er ... the Sixers ... fired Hinkie.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#94 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 am

Embiid P wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Remember we were 8-2 before Embiid and others went down due to COVID in spite of the Ben Simmons situation. Shouldn't we at least wait until our team is fully healthy (minus Simmons of course) before we write it off as a lost season?

For some reason, the two replies to me couldn't grasp this concept that the season is very young and we haven't had Embiid for a chunk of it because of COVID. Instead, they both jump to tell me Giannis's credentials which has nothing to do with this current season being wasted for him.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#95 » by Tomjas » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:24 am

Way too early to call wasted season for either
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

For some reason, the two replies to me couldn't grasp this concept that the season is very young and we haven't had Embiid for a chunk of it because of COVID. Instead, they both jump to tell me Giannis's credentials which has nothing to do with this current season being wasted for him.

While it's true that it's far too early to call it a wasted season for either, Giannis' credentials are relevant in the fact that despite the slow start the Bucks are a championship team that is still built to win while the Sixers are not close to that level as currently constructed, even with Embiid. Depends what your definition of 'wasted' is, I suppose.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:36 am

Far from a wasted season because we are now playing the right way.

I’d even call it a BREAKTHROUGH SEASON.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#98 » by sixers4real » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 am

76ciology wrote:Far from a wasted season because we are now playing the right way.

Yeah, I agree with you. The way this team is playing gives me hope that with a right Simmons trade we can be contenders.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#99 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:18 am

sixers4real wrote:
76ciology wrote:Far from a wasted season because we are now playing the right way.

Yeah, I agree with you. The way this team is playing gives me hope that with a right Simmons trade we can be contenders.

And think about the opposite scenario.

Repeat of last season. Team playing clunky offense but we having the number one record. You want that? It’s another trip for a 2nd round exit. Insanity is doing the same stuff over again and expecting different result.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
tigermars
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#100 » by tigermars » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:18 am

76ciology wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

And think about the opposite scenario.

Repeat of last season. Team playing clunky offense but we having the number one record. You want that? It’s another trip for a 2nd round exit. Insanity is doing the same stuff over again and expecting different result.

Does this years Bulls roster swapping out Vuc for Embiid a contender?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers