ImageImageImage

How much will Jalen Brunson get this offseason?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,205

How much will Jalen Brunson get this offseason? 

Post#1 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Kyle Lowry signed with the Heat for around 30mill a season at the age of 35. They put up more or less the same numbers, more assists, and lower FG% for Lowry.

How much will Jalen get?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Re: How much will Jalen Brunson get this offseason? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:51 pm

anything between 14-20/yr, based on last year he was at 12/yr just barely above the MLE, he'll get more than that based on his 1s 12 games only, it'll depend on Mavs success and his PO showing, against the Clippers he couldn't handle their length and athleticism, different matchups can make him look much better.
He's not in Lowry's class, so it's not a bar I'd measure against.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#3 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:05 pm

D.Murray 15 Dinwiddie..17 FVV..20 ... I would say between 14/18 ... Jalen is really good ... but his defense and size limit him
1+1=11
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#4 » by jpengland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:08 pm

Advanced stats painted him as a top PG last year.

Now obviously, he's not in that tier talent wise, but it shows how smart of a player he is.

He will easily get north of 15m per year if he keeps playing like he has done. Dallas won't let him go, we will pay whatever the going rate is.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#5 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 pm

I think he'll get 13-18 mil/yr if he continues his current play. Only a few teams would actually have a the cap to make an offer:

Knicks - the biggest threat. They would have to unload Rose, Noel and Burks to do so but they would all be expiring so totally doable. Knicks FO has a relationship with Brunson too and have shown interest in Brunson for a while.

Pistons - makes some sense since Kilian Hayes has been so bad to start his career. 2nd biggest threat since they could fit and have almost 40 mil in cap space.

Spurs - have the most capspace but I'd be perplexed if they decided to use it on Brunson when Murray is better.

Hornets - doesn't make sense since they have Ball and Rozier

Grizzlies - they got Ja and Tyus Jones is a good backup along with Melton who can handle the ball too.

Cavs - doesn't make sense with Garland, Rubio and even more-so if they re-sign Sexton.

Pretty sure Mavs FO will pay up but don't think they should just take it for granted that he will just agree to come back.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#6 » by Absinthe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:12 am

He’s going to get paid. Idealistically, I would have let THJ walk and some of that money should have been spent to resign Brunson. Brunson is currently the third best player on the team and has shown growth every season.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:22 am

Some team will throw some type of Lonzo Ball/Alex Caruso type of contract his way. I'd say $20M per year.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#8 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:49 am

$15-20 million per year.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#9 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:50 am

Resign before the end of the season, then thinking for a trade or keep him.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,393

Post#10 » by gottamakeit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Absinthe wrote:He’s going to get paid. Idealistically, I would have let THJ walk and some of that money should have been spent to resign Brunson. Brunson is currently the third best player on the team and has shown growth every season.

you forget that we have his bird rights, meaning we can go over the cap to resign him.

Also to the other user mentioning a resign before the end of the season. Not happening, since extensions can only be a certain percentage above current pay. Brunson has no incentive of short-changing himself by that much.

If Cuban is serious about putting together a championship team, he's going to have to delve into the luxury tax at some point. Resigning Brunson is a no brainer. If Brunson is keen on moving on, then you absolutely have to do a sign & trade to get value back.

Lakers not bring back Caruso(for lux tax reasons) is biting them in the ass, hopefully Mavs mgmt. doesn't make that mistake.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
arkuo
General Manager

Post#11 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:20 pm

A realistic threat to sign Brunson is Indiana. His protector Rick Carlisle is there. His dad is very good friends with him. So indiana has a make or break year with Malcolm Brodgon. He either takes a leap with his game or they can sign Brunson outright as a free agent. He is very familiar with Carlisle's offense so the learning and coaching curve isnt too high. He slots right in and hits he ground running. If that situation cannot be avoided, I'd like a sign and trade with Brogdon + Myles Turner headed to Dallas. Indy can have Brunson + Powell + DFS + picks.

Porzingis
Turner
Bullock
THJ
Doncic
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm

arkuo wrote:A realistic threat to sign Brunson is Indiana. His protector Rick Carlisle is there. His dad is very good friends with him. So indiana has a make or break year with Malcolm Brodgon. He either takes a leap with his game or they can sign Brunson outright as a free agent. He is very familiar with Carlisle's offense so the learning and coaching curve isnt too high. He slots right in and hits he ground running. If that situation cannot be avoided, I'd like a sign and trade with Brogdon + Myles Turner headed to Dallas. Indy can have Brunson + Powell + DFS + picks.

Porzingis
Turner
Bullock
THJ
Doncic

That's a burglary by the Mavs :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not happens.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:52 pm

And Brogdon is a very good player, he can start with THJ on the bench
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#14 » by LAL1947 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:32 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
arkuo wrote:A realistic threat to sign Brunson is Indiana. His protector Rick Carlisle is there. His dad is very good friends with him. So indiana has a make or break year with Malcolm Brodgon. He either takes a leap with his game or they can sign Brunson outright as a free agent. He is very familiar with Carlisle's offense so the learning and coaching curve isnt too high. He slots right in and hits he ground running. If that situation cannot be avoided, I'd like a sign and trade with Brogdon + Myles Turner headed to Dallas. Indy can have Brunson + Powell + DFS + picks.

Porzingis
Turner
Bullock
THJ
Doncic

It's not happens.

Maybe... but also maybe not. Indiana looks dreadful with Brogdon or McConnell at PG. There's no creativity or ownership of the play-making on that team, as a result of which everyone else suffers when the head is cut off. A good example is today's game against the Knicks... Indy was up by quite a bit and then it all went down the crapper, they scored just 10 points in the 4th Q. Someone like Brunson, who is modelling their offense after Luka's, could be very valuable to Indiana on the court... but even more valuable to NY, who have similar PG troubles with Kemba/D. Rose and since Leon Rose supposedly has the hots for Brunson. I think the Mavs FO should explore a trade with NY and try getting everything they can get out of it.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Post#15 » by psman2 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 am

LAL1947 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Porzingis
Turner
Bullock
THJ
Doncic

It's not happens.

Maybe... but also maybe not. Indiana looks dreadful with Brogdon or McConnell at PG. There's no creativity or ownership of the play-making on that team, as a result of which everyone else suffers when the head is cut off. A good example is today's game against the Knicks... Indy was up by quite a bit and then it all went down the crapper, they scored just 10 points in the 4th Q. Someone like Brunson, who is modelling their offense after Luka's, could be very valuable to Indiana on the court... but even more valuable to NY, who have similar PG troubles with Kemba/D. Rose and since Leon Rose supposedly has the hots for Brunson. I think the Mavs FO should explore a trade with NY and try getting everything they can get out of it.

The problem with your trade is Brunson is a UFA, Dallas does not have matching rights. So If Brunson choices to sign in Indy there is nothing Dallas can do about it. Indy can trade Brodgon for cap savings and a draft pick there will be several offers for him and have plenty of money to sign Brunson. So your SNT is just not a realistic scenario. The only way to extract value in a SNT is if you have RFA rights or the other team needs you to absorb money, neither of things will be in play with Indy.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#16 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:48 pm

psman2 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

It's not happens.

The problem with your trade is Brunson is a UFA, Dallas does not have matching rights. So If Brunson choices to sign in Indy there is nothing Dallas can do about it. Indy can trade Brodgon for cap savings and a draft pick there will be several offers for him and have plenty of money to sign Brunson. So your SNT is just not a realistic scenario. The only way to extract value in a SNT is if you have RFA rights or the other team needs you to absorb money, neither of things will be in play with Indy.

There are rumors that Jalen wants to run his own team, if that's true .. Robinson / Knox / Dallas23 for Brunson / WCS + 2nd round ... it's something I would do ... on the deadline ... especially if Dragic is cut and wants Dallas
1+1=11
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#17 » by Mavrelous » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:26 pm

1st 12 games JB is >>> late 1st + energy (and injury prune) big, if a trade to be made, Mavs 1st with Obi Toppin and IQ, and whoever wants Jalen must either have cap space or trade for him because S&T will be virtually impossible with BYC rules.
I doubt Cuban lets Jalen go, he's loyal to his players.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Robinson value is somewhere like 0... Injury prone and foul trouble every game, he is basicallly the same player than 3years ago. No improve.

Brunson has a lot of value but his contract without TO is another mistake that Cuban could pay a lot.

For Toppin and 1st could work, then make a package for a star and start to compete.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#19 » by arkuo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Brunson is bound to earn a big fat contract if he keeps this up. My guess is $16 to 18M on his first year with a gradual increase for the next 4 years to cover for inflation and the rising cap.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:52 pm

I like Brunson a lot...he is a tough guy, smart with high BBQI and offensive very skilled. He is a winner.
The problem is his PO efficiency, i don't think he will deserve that type of contract, anyway we can't lose him for nothing so resign him e hope.

Return to Dallas Mavericks