ImageImageImageImageImage

Tommy Shepherd signs Contract extension and promoted to President and GM...

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Tommy Shepherd signs Contract extension and promoted to President and GM... 

Post#1 » by MikeTheKid » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/17/tommy-sheppard-sashi-brown-wizards-extensions/

By Ava Wallace
Today at 10:01 a.m. EST

CHARLOTTE — Amid the Washington Wizards’ best start to a season since 1974-75, the franchise announced Wednesday that General Manager Tommy Sheppard and Chief Planning and Operations Officer Sashi Brown have both signed multiyear extensions and received promotions. Terms of their deals have not been disclosed.

Sheppard, who was named the organization’s top basketball executive in July 2019, received a new title of president and general manager and will continue to oversee all basketball decisions related to the Wizards, the Capital City Go-Go and the franchise’s esports team.

Brown, also hired in July 2019, is now the president of Monumental Basketball and special adviser to Monumental CEO Ted Leonsis. In addition to leading various operations for the franchise, Brown will oversee chief of athlete care and performance Daniel Medina as well as Washington Mystics Head Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault. Brown now represents Monumental Basketball at WNBA owners’ meetings along with Owner Sheila Johnson.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Re: Tommy Shepherd signs Contract extension and promoted to President and GM... 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Good for Sheppard!

His skills as a team builder, cap manager, and assessing free agency and trades are first rate. Hopefully, he'll get better at the draft or hire guys that are better to help him. His drafting seems average so far.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#3 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:38 pm

Congats to Sheppard. He proved me wrong.

Back when Wall was still here i said i didn't see any path to being a good team with Beal on the roster. I thought we had to choose between being bad/mediocre or blowing it up.

Now here we sit on top of the east.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#4 » by Doug_Blew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm not sure how to react to having a good GM and Coach. This is unchartered territory to me.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#5 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Tommy deserves the promotion; that's obvious.

I don't know the first thing about Sashi Brown. But, tell me, if he's "president of Monumental Basketball," does that mean Tommy works for him?

& what does it mean that Brown is "special advisor to" Teddy Longsits?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#6 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Doug_Blew wrote:I'm not sure how to react to having a good GM and Coach. This is unchartered territory to me.

Same-

A part of me feels like this is a quick promotion on some preliminary results, but it’s been 2 years and we can’t knock the results.

The pieces for Westbrook fell into our lap...he takes credit but it’s not like the Lakers didn’t obviously blunder that trade but The hire of Wes looks masterful.

Wes appears to be beyond ready. Even how Wes (honestly the whole team) has been handling the small things like time outs all the way to the biggest thing ongoing for Wiz, Rui. Tommy and Wes are handling it better than the rest of the teams in similar situations.

Congrats to Tommy!
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#7 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:11 pm

nate33 wrote:Good for Sheppard!

His skills as a team builder, cap manager, and assessing free agency and trades are first rate. Hopefully, he'll get better at the draft or hire guys that are better to help him. His drafting is average at best.

Who did he miss on in the draft? Rui or Cam or Herro? Is that what you are referring too?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 pm

CobraCommander wrote:

His skills as a team builder, cap manager, and assessing free agency and trades are first rate. Hopefully, he'll get better at the draft or hire guys that are better to help him. His drafting is average at best.

Who did he miss on in the draft? Rui or Cam or Herro? Is that what you are referring too?

Herro and PJ look better than Rui. And there were tradedown options for guys like Thybulle, Clarke and Keldon Johnson

The next year, Vassell and Haliburton where there when he took Avdija. I think they will be better pros (but admittedly, the jury is still out).

I'm not thrilled about Kispert so far. Sengun was there.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#9 » by J-Ves » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Once Deni settles into his facilitator+defensive ace forward role a la Draymond Green or Ben Simmons Tommy’s draft record will look a lot better
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#10 » by queridiculo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Congrats, now he can hire somebody to run the draft.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#11 » by keynote » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Sashi doesn't work for Shep; Sashi reports to Ted.

Sashi appears to manage "everything else" aside from Wizards basketball. Thibault and the training staff report to Sashi now. Sashi also manages MSE arena ops, etc. I don't know how that interacts with the Caps side of the house; I suspect Sashi only runs the practice facility/Go-Gos' arena, and not Cap One itself.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#12 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

Herro and PJ look better than Rui. And there were tradedown options for guys like Thybulle, Clarke and Keldon Johnson

The next year, Vassell and Haliburton where there when he took Avdija. I think they will be better pros (but admittedly, the jury is still out).

Can you really judge our guys when they played for Scotty so early in their career?

I think Rui, when playing can be a more consistent pro than Herro. Herro’ s upside appears to be higher in the short run, but I think Rui could end up being a 20 and 8 guy in a few years in the right spot. No real opinion on PJ

Deni has played decent this year defensively but it does scare me that he had a 0-0 game with significant minutes...you have to score to stay on the floor as a small forward or 2

I think with Wes, we will see what we have...Spo and Butler make Herro.

It’s too early for Kispert
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#13 » by WallToWall » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 pm

He deserves the props and the $ for making good hires, and trades. He traded Wall and got back a lot of reasonably good pieces. He didn’t re-hire the former coach (good evaluation), and hired a better coach. He built a team around Beal, and even without Beal, the team can be reasonably good. The salary cap has been managed well in the process. This is deserving of a new title, raise and an extension.
I am not so enamored with his drafts. I don’t think he is doing as well in judging college level players and where they should be picked. He certainly knows how to get the best value for known but undervalued NBA talent.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:01 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
nate33 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Who did he miss on in the draft? Rui or Cam or Herro? Is that what you are referring too?

Can you really judge our guys when they played for Scotty so early in their career?

I think Rui, when playing can be a more consistent pro than Herro. Herro’ s upside appears to be higher in the short run, but I think Rui could end up being a 20 and 8 guy in a few years in the right spot. No real opinion on PJ

Deni has played decent this year defensively but it does scare me that he had a 0-0 game with significant minutes...you have to score to stay on the floor as a small forward or 2

I think with Wes, we will see what we have...Spo and Butler make Herro.

It’s too early for Kispert

Yeah, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on Sheppard's drafting. I reworded my original post to say he "seems average" rather than "average at best".
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#15 » by NatP4 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:24 pm

He’s been fantastic. Like Nate said, the only critique I would have is the drafting at times, but even that is starting to look a lot better with Kispert and Avdija playing really well.

Still can’t believe he traded away the face of the franchise in John Wall. I never expected anyone in the wiz organization to have those balls.

The culture in DC has been built by Sheppard and Beal. They make a great duo. It’s nice to have a GM that seems like an intelligent likeable human being as opposed to a total ass like Ernie.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#16 » by nuposse04 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:53 pm

I think Shep takes rather low risk draft prospects, might be only real problem with his management so far... that and not canning Brooks much earlier. That might have been out of his hands though.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#17 » by penbeast0 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 pm

I think you reward success and he has to be judged a success at the moment. I hope he can sustain it and even build a real contender. The Wizards have been a watchword for mediocrity since well before the name change, let's hope what we have now isn't fool's gold, but it's fun to watch so far.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#18 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:40 pm

NatP4 wrote:He’s been fantastic. Like Nate said, the only critique I would have is the drafting at times, but even that is starting to look a lot better with Kispert and Avdija playing really well.

Still can’t believe he traded away the face of the franchise in John Wall. I never expected anyone in the wiz organization to have those balls.

The culture in DC has been built by Sheppard and Beal. They make a great duo. It’s nice to have a GM that seems like an intelligent likeable human being as opposed to a total ass like Ernie.

Great point about the team being built around Beal. If Beal is a top 10 player, then with this roster, coach and GM, we should be able to make noise beyond just the reg season.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#19 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:04 am

The same way I hope Tatum to DC becomes a thing, I hope Masai Ujiri to DC doesn't die. Mostly to annoy fans of other teams. I get joy out of that because I'm terrible and my heart is a lump of coal.

Congrats to Tommy S. Well earned, not just for his work this year but for his many years of work under Grunfeld, where he learned the importance of planning scouting trips to Europe in spring, how to explain away poop in shoes and gunplay in the locker room, and how to overpay Ian Mahinmi.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#20 » by TGW » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:13 am

The mom and pop shop continues.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards