ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1441 » by basketballRob » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:05 pm

I do think Cole resembles some of the stat-hungry players we've had in the past and not sure if he'd be willing to sacrifice stats for wins.

Like last night he had the ball with less than 20 seconds left and could've dribbled the clock out. Instead, he went in for an uncontested layup, then missed it, got the rebound, and then made the layup.

Also at the end of one of the quarters, he didn't put up a half-court shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#1442 » by jonbob17 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Cole has been amazing this year. Amazing is somewhat relative to our expectations, is he at top 30 NBA guy, of course not, but he his production has been that of a good nba player.

Ever since his homecoming game in NY: 22ppg, 7.2 rebs, 5.7 assts 1.3 steals on 46.7 FG and 42.1% from 3. Lead scorer on bad team, sure, but honestly i didn't think he was capable of that over that many games...maybe any of those categories let alone all together. That efficiency with the scoring...

I don't know what this means to the future Magic rosters, but it's hard to argue that Cole doesn't have a place in this league, and maybe a bigger role than many think, myself included, having been one of Cole's harsher critics.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#1443 » by JF5 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Skybox wrote:If ATL hadn't gone all-in and bought a bunch of overpriced vets to accelerate ATL's rise, the same people would be ragging on Trae as an undersized, selfish, empty stats, chucker...which would be stupid. Cole's a good player-he's not Trae Young level, but we should be figuring out how to use him most effectively, not criticize him for doing what's needed with this nursery school clown car of a team. I'm pulling for Fultz/Suggs starting backcourt, but the whining here about Cole's SUCCESS (yes that's what it is) is sickening.

I love Franz. Great pick at 8. Solid starting quality piece for years. Pleasant surprise. Every team could use one...but without a leading man, 5 Franz's would lose by 40 every night.

Kudos for ATL for drafting well and for their FO for having the balls to actually try to win within a few years rather than "build organically"...(aka lose forever).

Ummm... They're probably going to trade for another Star player to help Trae in the next 1-2 seasons.
They got a lot of Assets to move around. They did their process right. They got their Star player, they drafted pretty well. Then they added a whole bunch of vets/assets to no longer tank and then bring in a Winning Culture/Atmosphere which helps the internal growth with young players like Young/Collins/Huerter and also attract other Star players to come to the organization.

I'm not too sure how Atlanta botched their rebuild. They're in a good spot even if they don't make the playoffs this year.

The Magic are pretty much trying to replicate the same thing that Atlanta is trying to achieve.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,484

Post#1444 » by Skybox » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:49 pm

JF5 wrote:
Skybox wrote:If ATL hadn't gone all-in and bought a bunch of overpriced vets to accelerate ATL's rise, the same people would be ragging on Trae as an undersized, selfish, empty stats, chucker...which would be stupid. Cole's a good player-he's not Trae Young level, but we should be figuring out how to use him most effectively, not criticize him for doing what's needed with this nursery school clown car of a team. I'm pulling for Fultz/Suggs starting backcourt, but the whining here about Cole's SUCCESS (yes that's what it is) is sickening.

I love Franz. Great pick at 8. Solid starting quality piece for years. Pleasant surprise. Every team could use one...but without a leading man, 5 Franz's would lose by 40 every night.

Kudos for ATL for drafting well and for their FO for having the balls to actually try to win within a few years rather than "build organically"...(aka lose forever).

Ummm... They're probably going to trade for another Star player to help Trae in the next 1-2 seasons.
They got a lot of Assets to move around. They did their process right. They got their Star player, they drafted pretty well. Then they added a whole bunch of vets/assets to no longer tank and then bring in a Winning Culture/Atmosphere which helps the internal growth with young players like Young/Collins/Huerter and also attract other Star players to come to the organization.

I'm not too sure how Atlanta botched their rebuild. They're in a good spot even if they don't make the playoffs this year.

The Magic are pretty much trying to replicate the same thing that Atlanta is trying to achieve.

You repeated what I said, I was not knocking ATL...I was applauding them.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#1445 » by p0peye » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:05 am

So, ever since Anthony joined, the projection on him is that he can only succeed as a scorer. He started his rookie year badly, but kept improving and in rather short time he seems capable of fulfilling that role. Why are we putting him down or crying about it now?

Is he a starter or not? Yes, on this team, that is given. I mean, take your pink glasses off people. Would that role change if we had a real team? Duh. If his shooting percentages remain good, I see no reason why Anthony wouldn't be able to have the same role as JJ Redick.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#1446 » by Audi » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 am

Any way you shake it, he’s playing better than all but a few others in his draft class.

To me, I’m fine with letting Suggs come off the bench - *if* Cole continues to play at this level more consistently. There’s nothing wrong with giving one of your best offensive players the key. There’s also nothing wrong with a promising rookie leading the second unit.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,201

Post#1447 » by thelead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:37 am

Audi wrote:Any way you shake it, he’s playing better than all but a few others in his draft class.

To me, I’m fine with letting Suggs come off the bench - *if* Cole continues to play at this level more consistently. There’s nothing wrong with giving one of your best offensive players the key. There’s also nothing wrong with a promising rookie leading the second unit.

A top 5 pick leading the second unit of a bottom 5 team? How often do you see that happen?

Kuminga is the only player drafted in the top 8 not starting…. But he’s playing for the best team in the league.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#1448 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 am

Vuc was the most divisive player of our last rebuild, && it looks like Cole is going to fill that same role for this one.

Cole Anthony has just been a better NBA player up until this point than I ever thought he'd be. I've got to own that. I don't know how much of it is sustainable, or whether he is more prime Kemba or Devonte Graham, but I just don't have much to complain about at this moment.

This roster needs his offense desperately, and he's stepping up to the plate in a big way. He's legitimately been a top 40 player 14 games into the season. Small sample size, yes, but something I never thought I'd say, regardless.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#1449 » by JF5 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 am

Skybox wrote:
JF5 wrote:

You repeated what I said, I was not knocking ATL...I was applauding them.

Yeah, my fault I apologize for misreading what you said. I was off the mark.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#1450 » by fendilim » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 am

basketballRob wrote:I do think Cole resembles some of the stat-hungry players we've had in the past and not sure if he'd be willing to sacrifice stats for wins.

Like last night he had the ball with less than 20 seconds left and could've dribbled the clock out. Instead, he went in for an uncontested layup, then missed it, got the rebound, and then made the layup.

Also at the end of one of the quarters, he didn't put up a half-court shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say he does, but even if he did, it only works to our advantage. The better his stats, the more valuable his market is.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1451 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I for one am criticizing his fans who are declaring him a super star today and chanting MVP while refusing to recognize what Cole is and where his true value is for this team.

Cole is not who have a problem with, he’s just going out and playing ball. It’s his fan club.

do you really think anybody is considering him the savior or future leader of this team? He's doing great in an absence of leaders. He might be a bigger piece than we all imagined but nobody's calling him MVP and meaning it...All good.

The MVP chanters are just enjoying the game. Sure. But we do have many people who believe Cole is solidifying himself as the long term starter. This baffles me. They see volume scoring and can’t see the flaws in his game. These are likely they same people who always called for Ross to start.

Cole has value for us and can be a key piece to our rebuild. But let’s be realistic about where he fits in the long term plan!
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,408

Post#1452 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
drsd wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
I like to think how much greater he would be on a good team!

And-1. Anthony's upside is to be the next Curry ..... ,

Spoiler:
.... Seth Curry that is.

Magic don't deserve stars. They bash em until they leave and star for other teams.

Who exactly are these star players? lol.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1453 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:25 pm

thelead wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1. Anthony's upside is to be the next Curry ..... ,

Spoiler:
.... Seth Curry that is.

Magic don't deserve stars. They bash em until they leave and star for other teams.

Yup... Harkless, Vuc, Tobias, AG, Evan, Dipo, Mario, and Elf are lighting up the world on their other teams...

Exactly, lol.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1454 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:50 pm

My issue with Cole Anthony is not with Cole himself but people hyping up his game like he is a superstar. Maybe it's just fans being fans or the lack of stars the magic have had recently and their desperate need to find them but Cole is a decent player and not a great one and comparing him to guys like Trae Young is kinda ridiculous. We have done this in the past with guys like Evan, AG, Vuc, Victor, Harris, Ariza, and Darko and now we are doing it again with Cole. You would think we would learn or lesson.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#1455 » by Audi » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:55 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I for one am criticizing his fans who are declaring him a super star today and chanting MVP while refusing to recognize what Cole is and where his true value is for this team.

Cole is not who have a problem with, he’s just going out and playing ball. It’s his fan club.

do you really think anybody is considering him the savior or future leader of this team? He's doing great in an absence of leaders. He might be a bigger piece than we all imagined but nobody's calling him MVP and meaning it...All good.

The MVP chanters are just enjoying the game. Sure. But we do have many people who believe Cole is solidifying himself as the long term starter. This baffles me. They see volume scoring and can’t see the flaws in his game. These are likely they same people who always called for Ross to start.

Cole has value for us and can be a key piece to our rebuild. But let’s be realistic about where he fits in the long term plan!

The flaws in Cole’s game can be improved upon. He’s not a finished product by any means.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1456 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm

thelead wrote:
Audi wrote:Any way you shake it, he’s playing better than all but a few others in his draft class.

A top 5 pick leading the second unit of a bottom 5 team? How often do you see that happen?

Kuminga is the only player drafted in the top 8 not starting…. But he’s playing for the best team in the league.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,121

Post#1457 » by pepe1991 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Def Swami wrote:
thelead wrote:

Ummm... this is one of most common missconcemptions. OKC never won less than 47 games with Harden, including 50-32 during his rookie year
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM

Post#1458 » by thelead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:11 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
thelead wrote:A top 5 pick leading the second unit of a bottom 5 team? How often do you see that happen?

Ummm... this is one of most common missconcemptions. OKC never won less than 47 games with Harden, including 50-32 during his rookie year

Yup… the bottom 5 team part is important.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#1459 » by Knightro » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:28 pm

p0peye wrote:So, ever since Anthony joined, the projection on him is that he can only succeed as a scorer. He started his rookie year badly, but kept improving and in rather short time he seems capable of fulfilling that role. Why are we putting him down or crying about it now?

Is he a starter or not? Yes, on this team, that is given. I mean, take your pink glasses off people. Would that role change if we had a real team? Duh. If his shooting percentages remain good, I see no reason why Anthony wouldn't be able to have the same role as JJ Redick.

Redick is one of the game's all-time best players in terms of moving without the ball and figuring out how to get open without actually dribbling the basketball.

Cole Anthony is most certainly not that. He hasn't shown at any level - high school, college, summer league or NBA - that he's effective whatsoever without the basketball in his hands.

And if he can't be effective without the basketball in his hands, that means he's going to have to play point guard, and several people (myself included) don't think he has the natural playmaking or the defense to be a starting point guard on a good team.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player. It doesn't mean he can't have a role on a good team.
thelead
RealGM

Post#1460 » by thelead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Imagine being a fan of building a team around CJ McCollum or Jordan Clarkson and letting them handle the rock the majority of time he's on the court :lol:

And by the way, if calling Cole a CJ McCollum/Clarkson level player is hate, I think I might be done on this forum

Return to Orlando Magic