ImageImageImageImageImage

2021-22 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Re: 2021-22 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#381 » by Bruin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:46 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
10giz wrote:
Yeah, they are. Care to share yours?

Like, I'd love to be educated on what I'm missing out.

You’re discounting Halburton because his team isn’t good, but in reality the Kings had a better record than us last year and their record is nearly identical to ours right now

Haliburton has the potential to become an even better defensive player than Fred and he’s actually a PG in a SG body while Fred is more of a SG in a PG body. He’s already a great playmaker and shooter and is only just 21. I project as being a multiple time all star and he fits the identity of being big and versatile at every position. He can play on both and off ball

Siakam is great, I have no issues with him. But he’s not a great fit and the most ideal return for him is a high level prospect. No point in moving Siakam for a guy who’s on the same timeline as Fred and Pascal when we should be focusing primarily on the OG and Scottie timeline

You might be higher on Fred than I am, but I don’t like him as a primary PG and having him run the offense. He’s a great player, but nor a great fit for the role we need him to play

If Haliburton was attainable I’d trade anyone but Scottie and OG for him

I don't know man, Pascal has been a 2nd team all nbaer. Does Haliburton reach those heights? As 10giz said, it's easier to find guards, harder to find Swiss Army knife forwards.

GTJ is only 22. Putting up some nice numbers, and defensive stats. Is Haliburton that much of an upgrade?

Well Halburton wouldn’t be brought here to replace Trent. He’d be brought here to be the PG of the future

And yes Pascal is an All NBAer but with Barnes the fit isn’t great. And if we were to move Pascal I’d rather it be for a great young prospect to fit Scottie rather than to trade him for a guy around the same age

I definitely think Haliburton could become a top 5 PG by the time he’s 25
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#382 » by 10giz » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 am

PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:You’re discounting Halburton because his team isn’t good, but in reality the Kings had a better record than us last year and their record is nearly identical to ours right now

Haliburton has the potential to become an even better defensive player than Fred and he’s actually a PG in a SG body while Fred is more of a SG in a PG body. He’s already a great playmaker and shooter and is only just 21. I project as being a multiple time all star and he fits the identity of being big and versatile at every position. He can play on both and off ball

Siakam is great, I have no issues with him. But he’s not a great fit and the most ideal return for him is a high level prospect. No point in moving Siakam for a guy who’s on the same timeline as Fred and Pascal when we should be focusing primarily on the OG and Scottie timeline

You might be higher on Fred than I am, but I don’t like him as a primary PG and having him run the offense. He’s a great player, but nor a great fit for the role we need him to play

If Haliburton was attainable I’d trade anyone but Scottie and OG for him

I don't know man, Pascal has been a 2nd team all nbaer. Does Haliburton reach those heights? As 10giz said, it's easier to find guards, harder to find Swiss Army knife forwards.

GTJ is only 22. Putting up some nice numbers, and defensive stats. Is Haliburton that much of an upgrade?

Well Halburton wouldn’t be brought here to replace Trent. He’d be brought here to be the PG of the future

And yes Pascal is an All NBAer but with Barnes the fit isn’t great. And if we were to move Pascal I’d rather it be for a great young prospect to fit Scottie rather than to trade him for a guy around the same age

Listen man, Halliburton's a nice young player, but you have absolutely nothing to back up that ridiculous claim other than what? Efficiency on low volume on a bad team? His size? Versatility?

Being a top 5 PG in the NBA over the last 20 years has essentially meant you're a HOFer so if that's what you're predicting, I dunno what to tell you, but nah.

Dejounte is putting up 18/7/7 and might be in the 18-24 range. Maxey is putting up 18/5/4 with even less turnovers while actually helping his team win. He can be better than both and still not sniff the top 15-18.

Doncic, Trae, Lamelo, Fox, Ja, Murray, Shai, Lavine, Cole, Dejounte, Maxey, Garland, Sexton, Cade, Suggs...not to mention 3 years from now, Curry, Dame, Kyrie, Russell, Brogdon, Jrue, FVV will all still be playing and probably better. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible Haliburton becomes a top 5 PG, but it is very hard to see IMO.

Not only that, but how can you, or anyone for that matter, be qualified to say "the fit isn't great". Are you a coach, scout? We're 15 games into the season trying to completely redevelop our system, chemistry and timing and you think that there's been enough evidence to say they don't fit? It's been 4 games. Specifically, what is so off with the fit that you think cannot be fixed over time?

Teams aren't beating us. We are beating ourselves. Defence is timing, trust, repetitions and feel. That will only come with time. The fact that offence isn't the problem is a great sign. We literally have arguably a top 3-5 defender at each position of our starting lineup.

Siakam is having his most efficient season so far while putting up his typical career stats. Barnes is doing his thing. OG, Fred and Trent too. Be patient man, it'll take another 4-8 weeks. Trust the team/coach/FO.

This team is much, much better than both of these that won 59 and 56 games respectively. We currently have exponentially more scoring, athleticism, playmaking and most importantly, defence. That's not even touching the fact that we went from Casey to a unanimously respected top 3 coach currently.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2016.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2018.html

It's actually crazy just to see. I'm really excited for this team. The East is very weak IMO outside of MIA and MIL. BK too but they're just an injury to either of those 2 from completely being gone.

Let it breathe man.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#383 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:35 pm

10giz wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

Listen man, Halliburton's a nice young player, but you have absolutely nothing to back up that ridiculous claim other than what? Efficiency on low volume on a bad team? His size? Versatility?

Being a top 5 PG in the NBA over the last 20 years has essentially meant you're a HOFer so if that's what you're predicting, I dunno what to tell you, but nah.

Dejounte is putting up 18/7/7 and might be in the 18-24 range. Maxey is putting up 18/5/4 with even less turnovers while actually helping his team win. He can be better than both and still not sniff the top 15-18.

Doncic, Trae, Lamelo, Fox, Ja, Murray, Shai, Lavine, Cole, Dejounte, Maxey, Garland, Sexton, Cade, Suggs...not to mention 3 years from now, Curry, Dame, Kyrie, Russell, Brogdon, Jrue, FVV will all still be playing and probably better. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible Haliburton becomes a top 5 PG, but it is very hard to see IMO.

Not only that, but how can you, or anyone for that matter, be qualified to say "the fit isn't great". Are you a coach, scout? We're 15 games into the season trying to completely redevelop our system, chemistry and timing and you think that there's been enough evidence to say they don't fit? It's been 4 games. Specifically, what is so off with the fit that you think cannot be fixed over time?

Teams aren't beating us. We are beating ourselves. Defence is timing, trust, repetitions and feel. That will only come with time. The fact that offence isn't the problem is a great sign. We literally have arguably a top 3-5 defender at each position of our starting lineup.

Siakam is having his most efficient season so far while putting up his typical career stats. Barnes is doing his thing. OG, Fred and Trent too. Be patient man, it'll take another 4-8 weeks. Trust the team/coach/FO.

This team is much, much better than both of these that won 59 and 56 games respectively. We currently have exponentially more scoring, athleticism, playmaking and most importantly, defence. That's not even touching the fact that we went from Casey to a unanimously respected top 3 coach currently.

It's actually crazy just to see. I'm really excited for this team. The East is very weak IMO outside of MIA and MIL. BK too but they're just an injury to either of those 2 from completely being gone.

Let it breathe man.

Yeah I don't know about Top 5 PG in the league potential for Haliburton. Truthfully, you're right - more often than not, that means you're a HOFer and I haven't seen enough from him to say for certain that he's going to be that good. Ultimately, time will tell.

But as far as assessing fit goes, you don't need to be a scout or coach to see that the fit between Barnes and Siakam isn't good. You really just need to watch games and understand basketball. But to sum it all up, Barnes is having a ROY candidate season and Siakam is having is most efficient season yet and still this team is losing games. And before we shift the blame other places (and there is some valid things we can discuss on that front), FVV has been putting up all-star numbers, OG has taken the leap and GTJ has been lights out. So obviously something is going on here.

Now we can get into the lack of bench production or lack of an adequate C - those are valid points. But either way you slice it, that SF/PF position is our most superfluous at the moment. Which means that if a sizeable upgrade is to made without creating holes somewhere else, one of OG/Barnes/Siakam have to go. There just isn't any other way around it. That's why there's been so much discussion around dealing Siakam on here lately.

Now I don't know who has to go, when and for what but I do believe one of them have to be dealt.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,193

Post#384 » by canada_dry » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Just throwing it out there. Dont know if we have the space or how we would be able to create it... but would you be willing to throw a max at deandre ayton this offseason?

Its clear the suns dont want to pay him that and would probably hesitate to match it if a team were to offer it to him. (dumb , cheap move on their part tbh, Nothing surprising for sarver)

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Bowdystuda
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#385 » by Bowdystuda » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:47 pm

canada_dry wrote:Just throwing it out there. Dont know if we have the space or how we would be able to create it... but would you be willing to throw a max at deandre ayton this offseason?

Its clear the suns dont want to pay him that and would probably hesitate to match it if a team were to offer it to him. (dumb , cheap move on their part tbh, Nothing surprising for sarver)

It is next to impossible. We literally would have to trade at least 65 million off the books this year and get nothing but expiring contracts to get that far under the cap for next year.

In other words, it most likely wont happen
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#386 » by Spida888 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Bowdystuda wrote:
canada_dry wrote:Just throwing it out there. Dont know if we have the space or how we would be able to create it... but would you be willing to throw a max at deandre ayton this offseason?

It is next to impossible. We literally would have to trade at least 65 million off the books this year and get nothing but expiring contracts to get that far under the cap for next year.

In other words, it most likely wont happen

It's possible for PHX to S&T him if they think he's too rich for their blood (ex like Lonzo Ball last offseason). So there is an avenue where other teams can acquire him with PHX cooperation, but chances are he stays put.

Only Spurs, Pistons, and Magic I believe have cap space potentially next offseason, but those teams are rebuilding.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,757

Post#387 » by ItsDanger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Ayton could be a max player but his play is somewhat inconsistent. I think he deserves a tier below. Which is what Phoenix thinks also. Not utilized on their team properly on offense.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#388 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 pm

Yeah I'm not sure Ayton's the answer either. He's a really good on both sides of the ball.

Honestly, speculating or even creating possible trades is impossible until we know what direction management wants to go.

We have 2 all-star calibre-ish players (FVV & Siakam), two guys who are young enough to be part of a full rebuild (Barnes and Trent) and another guy who could be part of a rebuild and part of a win now team (OG). We could really go either way. We still have some time left before new contracts can be traded and I'm sure management is already doing this but they should make their minds up sooner rather than later. No sense in keeping valuable assets and risking their value dropping due to injuries, on/off court issues or lesser years left on their deals.

But I will say that the next move from here needs to yield a superstar. Either a young blue chipper who will turn into one or a legit one that may be unhappy with his current team
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#389 » by agkagk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:31 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
10giz wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Well Halburton wouldn’t be brought here to replace Trent. He’d be brought here to be the PG of the future

Let it breathe man.

Yeah I don't know about Top 5 PG in the league potential for Haliburton. Truthfully, you're right - more often than not, that means you're a HOFer and I haven't seen enough from him to say for certain that he's going to be that good. Ultimately, time will tell.

But as far as assessing fit goes, you don't need to be a scout or coach to see that the fit between Barnes and Siakam isn't good. You really just need to watch games and understand basketball. But to sum it all up, Barnes is having a ROY candidate season and Siakam is having is most efficient season yet and still this team is losing games. And before we shift the blame other places (and there is some valid things we can discuss on that front), FVV has been putting up all-star numbers, OG has taken the leap and GTJ has been lights out. So obviously something is going on here.

Now we can get into the lack of bench production or lack of an adequate C - those are valid points. But either way you slice it, that SF/PF position is our most superfluous at the moment. Which means that if a sizeable upgrade is to made without creating holes somewhere else, one of OG/Barnes/Siakam have to go. There just isn't any other way around it. That's why there's been so much discussion around dealing Siakam on here lately.

Now I don't know who has to go, when and for what but I do believe one of them have to be dealt.

Our bench is atrocious and we lack a big body down low.

Somehow our starting lineup is cumulatively putting up. Umbers on par with the best starting lineups in the league.

Face it were still stealth tanking.
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 678

Post#390 » by DangerZone13 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 am

Well, it looks like Minnesota has to either deal or double-down on Towns. He does not look happy with Edwards. Given that the Raptors' development, would we bank on him should the Wolves decide they want to try to win now and go all in around Towns? New ownership may want to make a splash? Edwards the Raptor would end up a far greater player than Edwards the Timberwolf.

Something with them getting Siakam and GTJ to plug an old hole and fill the new one with solid 2 way players that could make Towns and Russ look better.

Edwards and other stuff coming back to Toronto to give a solid young 2,3,4 with tons of potential to build the future on? Ship out Dragic and Boucher and the misfit T'Wolves parts for better fitting parts. Go full development with Freddie and Birch keeping the ship steady.

I don't know which way we're going, and almost having more fun being able to come up with ideas for both.
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#391 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:39 am

agkagk wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
10giz wrote:

Let it breathe man.

Somehow our starting lineup is cumulatively putting up. Umbers on par with the best starting lineups in the league.

Our bench is not atrocious if we put Gary on it.

Paskal/Birch/OG/Barnes/Fred

Boucher/Achuiwa/SVI/Trent(6man)/Dragic

Roll with that 10 and give players nights off so Yuta can get be eased in. Banton to 905.

Perry needs to be called up ASAP.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#392 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:47 am

DangerZone13 wrote:Well, it looks like Minnesota has to either deal or double-down on Towns. He does not look happy with Edwards. Given that the Raptors' development, would we bank on him should the Wolves decide they want to try to win now and go all in around Towns? New ownership may want to make a splash? Edwards the Raptor would end up a far greater player than Edwards the Timberwolf.

Something with them getting Siakam and GTJ to plug an old hole and fill the new one with solid 2 way players that could make Towns and Russ look better.

Edwards and other stuff coming back to Toronto to give a solid young 2,3,4 with tons of potential to build the future on? Ship out Dragic and Boucher and the misfit T'Wolves parts for better fitting parts. Go full development with Freddie and Birch keeping the ship steady.

I don't know which way we're going, and almost having more fun being able to come up with ideas for both.

Why would they trade Edwards? At least at this point?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#393 » by douggood » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:43 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Roll with that 10 and give players nights off so Yuta can get be eased in. Banton to 905.

we dont own rights to perry, would have to sign him taking us back into the tax.

and 10 day contracts arent allowed yet.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#394 » by agkagk » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:33 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

Dragic looks legit washed, or at the very least, intentionally disinterested so he can get bought out and pick his team for the playoffs instead of being trade fodder.

Trent wouldnt look half as good on the bench; he needs a veteran pg to help him get to his spots and frankly, were committed to his development, which is going to be as our starting SG.

We’re committed to Banton, precious, Trent, OG, Barnes, svi, etc

Were not a finished product, management knows this, development is the name of the game.

We should taper off and we should draft towards the back third of the lottery. Once injuries creep up and our young players are forced to play a bit more then they should, it’s inevitable.

Enjoy the process folks, cause were committed to where our players will be 2 years from now.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#395 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Boring trade but at around the deadline I want to see us do a clone of the Matt Thomas trade with Utah with Boucher.

To Utah
Chris Boucher

To Toronto
TPE
2022 Memphis 2nd
2026 Memphis 2nd

2nds in the hands of Masai and bobby are almost equivalent to late 1sts to mortal GMs
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Post#396 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:52 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Boring trade but at around the deadline I want to see us do a clone of the Matt Thomas trade with Utah with Boucher.

To Utah
Chris Boucher

To Toronto
TPE
2022 Memphis 2nd
2026 Memphis 2nd

2nds in the hands of Masai and bobby are almost equivalent to late 1sts to mortal GMs

I think Boston would make that deal too.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#397 » by douggood » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Boring trade but at around the deadline I want to see us do a clone of the Matt Thomas trade with Utah with Boucher.

To Utah
Chris Boucher

To Toronto
TPE
2022 Memphis 2nd
2026 Memphis 2nd

I think Boston would make that deal too.

neither team would, tax reasons

jazz gave up a 1st round pick to dump a player to get under the tax
celtics made moves around the margins to stay under tax.

edit: i just looked up, the jazz /celtics didnt get under the tax, they just reduced their tax hit. adding boucher contract to either team is like a 20 mil tax penalty on top of that.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#398 » by h4rrison » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:27 pm

As much as I like Siakam, we should offer him for Simmons. Clearly, we aren’t winning with this group and we need to mix things up a bit. Let Scottie take the PF position and move Fred to SG.

While Simmons has his red flags, I definitely think this team is better with Simmons than Siakam.

The fit is so perfect. A big PG who likes to pass and plays defense, next to a small SG who clearly is a better off ball player than PG. And then this opens up the PF position for our future HOF Scottie. There would still be a gap at C but we have so much length still that our defense would be so dynamic and switchable inside and outside.

I say take the risk with Simmons troubles and make the trade. Scared money, don’t make money!
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,526

Post#399 » by TheRaptor! » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:40 am

Thoughts on Thaddeus young as C?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#400 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:24 am

Siakam and FVV for Simmons and Maxey.

We going younger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Raptors