Rui Hachimura 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#241 » by Tomjas » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 am

Multiply the focus by about 1 million times and then you get Simmons

Do you really want to go there or just let it play out?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#242 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Tomjas wrote:Multiply the focus by about 1 million times and then you get Simmons

Do you really want to go there or just let it play out?

I'm just curious what "let it play out" actually means. If being a famous basketball player is too stressful for his mental health, then a potential solution is to stop playing basketball. Evidently, that's precisely what he did (assuming it's true that he hasn't been working out and staying in basketball shape).
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#243 » by JWizmentality » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Speculation is a mutha ain't it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#244 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:19 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Speculation is a mutha ain't it.

Not really. We know that he is not playing basketball. We know that he didn't report for mental health issues. And we have been told that he hasn't been working out with the team and isn't in basketball shape.

And I'm not saying Hachimura is doing anything wrong. He has take care of himself first. I get it. All I'm saying is that, as a fan of the Wizards, I see the possibility that my team is going to lose a talented player who was on pace to being a good NBA player. That sucks, from a Wizards fan's standpoint.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#245 » by gambitx777 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:21 pm

I'm just not sold on it being that simple. I think there is way more to play here and it will eventually come out. I hope it's something he can oqvzer come and when he can rejoin the team I hope it goes well. It's just odd how this has been handled in the way that he's being reintroduced to the team slowly? Almost like reintroducing an animal back into an enclosure or environment slowly to see how the others will act. I have my suspicions, and my theories, but I'll just wait this one out and see.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#246 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:24 pm

nate33 wrote:This Rui Hachimura thing is starting to worry me. ...This has gone from being something roughly equivalent to an injury to something that might put his entire career in jeopardy.

I agree 100%. But, I'd take it beyond his "entire career" to his "entire future."

& a 23 year old kid in such a situation is in serious trouble. As a person. Got nothing to do with the Wizards. Got nothing to with basketball.

Rui must be in some kind of dire state. Pray for him if you believe in that kind of thing. Or just wish him well.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#247 » by prime1time » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Unless someone has some actual knowledge about what's going on, everyone is just speculating. From what we know things do not sound that dire. He had some mental problems, so he stopped focusing on basketball to take care of himself. For the last several weeks, he has been working himself back into basketball shape. The team is protecting him as it should and he will play when he's ready.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#248 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:06 pm

prime1time wrote:Unless someone has some actual knowledge about what's going on, everyone is just speculating. From what we know things do not sound that dire. He had some mental problems, so he stopped focusing on basketball to take care of himself. For the last several weeks, he has been working himself back into basketball shape. The team is protecting him as it should and he will play when he's ready.

It's true that I am speculating. But since they've given us absolutely no upper limit on the worst-case scenario, I must speculate that one of the possibilities is that Rui will no longer be a professional basketball player.

I'd be a lot more sanguine if there was a press release that merely said, "Rui is getting the help he needs and we fully anticipate him playing for the Wizards this season."
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#249 » by JWizmentality » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:09 pm

nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Unless someone has some actual knowledge about what's going on, everyone is just speculating. From what we know things do not sound that dire. He had some mental problems, so he stopped focusing on basketball to take care of himself. For the last several weeks, he has been working himself back into basketball shape. The team is protecting him as it should and he will play when he's ready.

It's true that I am speculating. But since they've given us absolutely no upper limit on the worst-case scenario, I must speculate that one of the possibilities is that Rui will no longer be a professional basketball player.

I'd be a lot more sanguine if there was a press release that merely said, "Rui is getting the help he needs and we fully anticipate him playing for the Wizards this season
."

Agree, that would quiet a lot of the speculation. But I can't fault them for how they are choosing to handle it either.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#250 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:25 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I'd be a lot more sanguine if there was a press release that merely said, "Rui is getting the help he needs and we fully anticipate him playing for the Wizards this season
."

Agree, that would quiet a lot of the speculation. But I can't fault them for how they are choosing to handle it either.

There are also probably lots of rules and regulations and best practices that limit what the Wiz can say about the matter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst

Post#251 » by prime1time » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:03 am

nate33 wrote:

I'd be a lot more sanguine if there was a press release that merely said, "Rui is getting the help he needs and we fully anticipate him playing for the Wizards this season."

This is the problem with speculating. It's not based on anything rational or objective but rather just your own personal emotions. Because there's a lack of information, we assume the worst. Speculation is supposed to include a full range of opinions. Unsurprisingly, on this board, we only like to talk about the most extreme, worst-case scenario. That's not even speculation to be honest. That is fear mongering. The last thing we heard was that he was working out and getting in basketball shape. Today Sheppard had an interview and said the following.
https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtonwizards/comments/qwah6y/tommy_sheppard_on_980_just_now_said_rui_is/
Tommy Sheppard on 980 just now said Rui is working out, getting back into shape and getting his legs under him and he's still "a ways away" from playing in games but says Rui will practice with the Go-Go, likely in the next week or two.
He also said TB will practice with the Go-Go as he ramps up to playing too. Interview still going on. He said it's tough for both TB and Rui because they both missed training camp, and "the only way you truly get in shape to play basketball, is by playing basketball".

When asked about TB & Rui fitting back in, Sheppard said he sees Rui fitting back in at the 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly how he said it cause I was getting excited lol) and he feels like it just makes the team even better and harder to beat.

I'm freaking pumped. Shep made it sound like Rui is just working on his conditioning and working his way back. Can't wait to see Rui.

Now, we should be able to stop the "Rui will never play again" talk.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#252 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:34 am

Ruzious wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's true that I am speculating. But since they've given us absolutely no upper limit on the worst-case scenario, I must speculate that one of the possibilities is that Rui will no longer be a professional basketball player.

."

There are also probably lots of rules and regulations and best practices that limit what the Wiz can say about the matter.
I saw an innocuous statement

He's had something to do with his mother and family and that is all I will say

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
haosmoove
Junior
And1: 221

Post#253 » by haosmoove » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:17 pm

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:

This is the problem with speculating. It's not based on anything rational or objective but rather just your own personal emotions. Because there's a lack of information, we assume the worst. Speculation is supposed to include a full range of opinions. Unsurprisingly, on this board, we only like to talk about the most extreme, worst-case scenario. That's not even speculation to be honest. That is fear mongering. The last thing we heard was that he was working out and getting in basketball shape. Today Sheppard had an interview and said the following.
https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtonwizards/comments/qwah6y/tommy_sheppard_on_980_just_now_said_rui_is/
Tommy Sheppard on 980 just now said Rui is working out, getting back into shape and getting his legs under him and he's still "a ways away" from playing in games but says Rui will practice with the Go-Go, likely in the next week or two.
He also said TB will practice with the Go-Go as he ramps up to playing too. Interview still going on. He said it's tough for both TB and Rui because they both missed training camp, and "the only way you truly get in shape to play basketball, is by playing basketball".

When asked about TB & Rui fitting back in, Sheppard said he sees Rui fitting back in at the 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly how he said it cause I was getting excited lol) and he feels like it just makes the team even better and harder to beat.

I'm freaking pumped. Shep made it sound like Rui is just working on his conditioning and working his way back. Can't wait to see Rui.

Is it normal for players to take 1+ month to get in game shape? Counting from the moment he landed in DC Oct 11 to the expected date that he will be ready for game action (1 to 2 weeks from now), we are talking about 6-7 weeks. The normal training camp + preseason is only 3 weeks. Rui last played basketball in August so it was only a two month lay-off for him at most.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#254 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:28 pm

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I am not assuming the worst. I never said it was a sure thing that Rui would stop playing basketball. I was merely concerned that it was looking like it was in the realm of possibility, given the utter lack of information from the franchise on the subject. That recent quote from Sheppard puts me at ease, which is exactly why I said that I'd feel much more comfortable if the Wizards would at least same something about his status.

Now, my biggest concern is that Rui hasn't played basketball at all, he is obviously quite out of shape, and is therefore unlikely to be much improved from last season. Feels like it's going to be a lost season for Rui. That's a shame, but it's not like the sky is falling.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#255 » by prime1time » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:34 pm

haosmoove wrote:
prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's true that I am speculating. But since they've given us absolutely no upper limit on the worst-case scenario, I must speculate that one of the possibilities is that Rui will no longer be a professional basketball player.

Is it normal for players to take 1+ month to get in game shape? Counting from the moment he landed in DC Oct 11 to the expected date that he will be ready for game action (1 to 2 weeks from now), we are talking about 6-7 weeks. The normal training camp + preseason is only 3 weeks. Rui last played basketball in August so it was only a two month lay-off for him at most.

Let's say it's not normal. Then what?
prime1time
Analyst

Post#256 » by prime1time » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:48 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/rui-hachimura-begin-practicing-go-go-soon?cid=sm_npd_rsn_dc_twt_mn
Rui Hachimura's road towards returning from a long absence due to personal reasons will start accelerating next week, as he is expected to begin training with the Capital City Go-Go, NBC Sports Washington has learned.

Hachimura, 23, could start working with them as soon as Monday. He has been doing individual work at the Wizards' practice facility in southeast D.C. since arriving in town in early October.

Wizards officials have seen encouraging progress in Hachimura's workouts behind closed doors in recent days and weeks. One source familiar with their plans expressed optimism it will not take long before he's ready to play in an NBA game. At this point, it is mostly about getting his conditioning up to speed.

At the end of the day, mental health is a real and legitimate issue. I applaud the Wizards for not rushing Rui and having a plan in place that protects him. When he's ready he will speak. Much better to have fans on a message board speculate that he might never play again than to in any way impede his progress.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#257 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Sounds like he could be back in... 2 to 3 weeks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#258 » by Benjammin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:Sounds like he could be back in... 2 to 3 weeks.
Yeah... now I feel better about it...;-)

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#259 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154