Coach Steve Nash

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Coach Steve Nash 

Post#1 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Where are you guys at with this guy?

Seems like he gets out coached every night. I am still trying to figure out where he adds to this team. I never hear the players even speak his name.

Have NOT been a fan of his tenure but I would like to hear from you guys.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Re: Coach Steve Nash 

Post#2 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:02 pm

I think hes gotten worse without D'Antoni. Our offense looks cooked.

Marks made a stupid hiring to help out his friend. Nash is only good at managing personalities. He has no idea how to make adjustments.

I will never understand why we didn't just hire Ty Lue.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#3 » by whatisacenter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:08 pm

wasn't Nash KD's choice?
In the hour-long interview, Kyrie said, “We don’t need someone to come in with their coaching philosophy, change everything we’re doing, change up the wheel, and we’re going to start running on the first day of practice. No!” Durant and Irving might have a lot of say in matters, and that should make Nash’s job as a coach interesting. Kyrie even suggested, “It’s going to change the way we see coaches. I don’t really see us having a head coach. KD could be a head coach; I could be a head coach.”
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,856

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:28 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:Where are you guys at with this guy?

Seems like he gets out coached every night. I am still trying to figure out where he adds to this team. I never hear the players even speak his name.

Last night was the end for me with him. He needs to go.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:29 pm

whatisacenter wrote:wasn't Nash KD's choice?
In the hour-long interview, Kyrie said, “We don’t need someone to come in with their coaching philosophy, change everything we’re doing, change up the wheel, and we’re going to start running on the first day of practice. No!” Durant and Irving might have a lot of say in matters, and that should make Nash’s job as a coach interesting. Kyrie even suggested, “It’s going to change the way we see coaches. I don’t really see us having a head coach. KD could be a head coach; I could be a head coach.”

Kyrie is a f*cking idiot.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#6 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Nash should be an assistant coach, who handles player development/relations. He's just not equipped to be a HC. He still doesn't understand how to use timeouts ffs.

Unfortunately, both Marks and KD picked Nash, so probs won't be getting rid of him anytime soon.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:27 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Nash should be an assistant coach, who handles player development/relations. He's just not equipped to be a HC. He still doesn't understand how to use timeouts ffs.

Unfortunately, both Marks and KD picked Nash, so probs won't be getting rid of him anytime soon.
Yup. Agreed. Also agree with @Hello Brooklyn I wanted Ty Lue in the worst way. Made perfect sense.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,367

Post#8 » by Pablo Escobar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Dumb and dumber. Kd just follows whatever Kyrie says which is weird since he's older than him.
Plata o Plomo?
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 pm

Pablo Escobar wrote:
Dumb and dumber. Kd just follows whatever Kyrie says which is weird since he's older than him.
Because KD is confident in himself. He leads by example and not with his mouth.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#10 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:48 am

Even with a superb 'future coach' resume, you almost always need to work yourself up to being a good HC. Who's the outlier to that? Larry Bird, maybe...?

How Marks thought you could just plug a total rookie in to that position, I'll probably never understand. I mean, every GM makes some terrible decisions if you give them enough time & rope, so I'm not crucifying Marks with that decision, but still.

Btw, I don't know why people here keep saying "nepotism." That word usually implies a family connection, but Marks and Nash aren't related, are they? The better word is "cronyism" AFAIK.

All that said, with a healthy Beard or Kyrie last playoffs, the Nets are likely the NBA champs. Crazy, huh?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#11 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 am

Nash is fine as the face of the franchise for the media & ego manager. He really needs a top notch Xs & Os coach with him though.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#12 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:09 am

I think our bench not being able to score is his fault. And the warriors proved it. When you have no offensive system that’s what happens. The nets have no way of creating offense unless it’s an iso break down by a player. And that’s not even working for KD and harden. They have no movement. No sets to get guys good looks. When was the last time they had a back door cut. The warriors bench and role players killed the nets not just curry. They also did it for a stretch when curry wasn’t even on the floor. They have a good offense no matter who is inserted. We don’t. And that’s on Nash. He relies too much on harden and Durant to do it.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#13 » by JoseRizal » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 am

We cannot go far with Nash as our HC. We've seen that in the Bucks series, and very recently, against the Dubs. He always gets outcoached and is isn't capable of adjusting to situations. Our offensive sets are predictable, give the ball to Harden or KD and see what happens. Our defense and rebounding is still putrid. At best, he may be a lead assistant, due to his high EQ and player ego management. Agree with the above poster, we need a strong X's & O's HC...
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#14 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:04 pm

The recent comment by Nash saying that the nets aren’t in the elite yet is a reflection on him. There is no reason for a team like this to not be. Yes it takes time but it’s almost December and the problems they had game one are still the problems. Only reason they have a win ing record is they are playing a lot of bad teams. Teams they aren’t blowing out too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:I think our bench not being able to score is his fault. And the warriors proved it. When you have no offensive system that’s what happens. The nets have no way of creating offense unless it’s an iso break down by a player. And that’s not even working for KD and harden. They have no movement. No sets to get guys good looks. When was the last time they had a back door cut. The warriors bench and role players killed the nets not just curry. They also did it for a stretch when curry wasn’t even on the floor. They have a good offense no matter who is inserted. We don’t. And that’s on Nash. He relies too much on harden and Durant to do it.

Yep. We don't run any plays or have action with movement for cuts and backdoor passes. when the bench unit is in without KD and Harden they all look lost.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#16 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Jacque Vaughn shouldn't be the lead assistant for Nash. We needed someone better to replace D'Antoni.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

i was calling him the worst coach of all time since his first few weeks on the job last year. my opinion of him has only gone down since then
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:16 am

Sharcm1 wrote:I think our bench not being able to score is his fault. And the warriors proved it. When you have no offensive system that’s what happens. The nets have no way of creating offense unless it’s an iso break down by a player. And that’s not even working for KD and harden. They have no movement. No sets to get guys good looks. When was the last time they had a back door cut. The warriors bench and role players killed the nets not just curry. They also did it for a stretch when curry wasn’t even on the floor. They have a good offense no matter who is inserted. We don’t. And that’s on Nash. He relies too much on harden and Durant to do it.

our bench is top 10 in scoring.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#19 » by HardenGoat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:16 pm

Some of what we are seeing is due to a shooting slump from our bench. Carter is shooting 25% and 28% from 3. Blake is at 30.6 and 16.7% from 3. Johnson has played 8 games and is 16.7% from the field. The eye test doesn’t show these are heavily contested either. Mills and Bembry are shooting fantastic. With Harris out there’s more pressure to find scoring and by default with the above Iam sure Durant wants the ball in his hands more and Harden also is compelled to get buckets. I can’t believe this slump is going to last all season. As Prok points out overall the bench is doing its job despite this thanks to LMA, Mills, and Bembry.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#20 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:27 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Some of what we are seeing is due to a shooting slump from our bench. Carter is shooting 25% and 28% from 3. Blake is at 30.6 and 16.7% from 3. Johnson has played 8 games and is 16.7% from the field. The eye test doesn’t show these are heavily contested either. Mills and Bembry are shooting fantastic. With Harris out there’s more pressure to find scoring and by default with the above Iam sure Durant wants the ball in his hands more and Harden also is compelled to get buckets. I can’t believe this slump is going to last all season. As Prok points out overall the bench is doing its job despite this thanks to LMA, Mills, and Bembry.

I agree, regression to the mean will do wonders for our roleplayers' shooting efficiency.

My one question is, how do we hire a splashy name like Kyle Korver as shooting coach, and not work on these guys' shooting form? Maybe he's tearing down bad mechanics in order to build back better ones, but I'm not seeing any different shooting motion or rhythm. Just worse results.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets