Shams: Morey wants CJ + 3 FRP + 3 Pick Swaps for Simmons

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Re: Shams: Morey wants CJ + 3 FRP + 3 Pick Swaps for Simmons 

Post#101 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:22 am

BNM wrote:
1) Morey's greed (see thread title). He still seems unwilling to settle for anything less than a Harden-like haul. In the dick measuring contest between Morey and Simmons/Klutch, neither side seems willing to give an inch. Morey seems bound and determined to piss away a year of Embiid's prime rather than accept a reasonable offer for Simmons.

2) Spacing for MIN. Nurk and Simmons would be a terrible fit together. Last season Simmons had an average FGA distance of 4.3 feet. Nurk currently has an average FGA distance of 5 feet. Those two would constantly be in each other's way. Combine that with the fact that none of Edwards, Russell and Beverly are good/prolific 3-point shooters and MIN would have horrible floor spacing, probably the worst in the league. KAT is their best 3-point threat, by far, and they would be losing him. While the incoming talent for MIN would not be bad, the fit would be terrible.

It's not just the lack of outside shooting, this trade brings in two players who occupy the same space on the floor. If PHI couldn't make it work with Simons/Embiid (and a much better supporting cast), I don't see why MIN would want to try it with Simmons/Nurk.

1) Yeah, I'm obviously just going to try and assume it gets to a point where all sides just want to be done with it. So just gonna ignore that for the sake of conversation.

2) I mentioned shooting would be the biggest problem for the Wolves post-trade. That said, I also don't think this trade would exactly be the endgame style move for them. This wouldn't be a move to win a title the same season, but to put them on better footing in the future. They could shore up the shooting / spacing issues with additional moves or FA signings.

KAT hasn't officially demanded a trade as far as we are aware, but he's also made nooooo secret he's super unhappy in Minny. They also have a new player they can build around in Edwards who's super talented. I don't think KAT and Edwards are great fits together personally, so I think if it comes down to who the Wolves have to build around, I would think they would pick Edwards.

The other hitch in this trade idea is why wouldn't the Sixers just take KAT? My only real reasoning here would be they don't think he's a good fit with Embiid (which may be accurate), but then that leads to the followup question of if they can get other players from another team they might like more with sending KAT to a different 3rd team...
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#102 » by monopoman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:02 am

Minnesota might fear Towns leaving the next time his contract comes around, he hasn't straight up demanded a trade yet but if people think Lillard is a flight risk Towns is about 25 times more likely in my mind.

Minnesota's best seasons in the Towns era was with Butler and since then they haven't done anything as a team. Towns has 2 more years on his deal after this season, and Towns demanding a trade before then would not stun me.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#103 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:15 am

monopoman wrote:Minnesota might fear Towns leaving the next time his contract comes around, he hasn't straight up demanded a trade yet but if people think Lillard is a flight risk Towns is about 25 times more likely in my mind.

Minnesota's best seasons in the Towns era was with Butler and since then they haven't done anything as a team. Towns has 2 more years on his deal after this season, and Towns demanding a trade before then would not stun me.

They should.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He may not full on ever demand a trade, but it's clear he's not super thrilled there and it's questionable how much he likes playing with Edwards or how the team as a whole plays (just a lot of hero ball).
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#104 » by GEE » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 am

Money should be right, but can't move Drummond for another month. Maybe our basketball operations will be out of the mud by then.

Portland trades: CJ / Nurkic / FRP
Portland gets: KAT / Drummond / Prince

Philly trades: Simmons / Drummond / Curry
Philly gets: CJ / Nurkic

Minny trades: KAT / Prince
Minny gets: Simmons / Curry / FRP

Some sweetener will be needed, but not much IMO, especially if KAT publicly requests a trade.

Dame / Simons
Powell
ROCO / Little
Nance
KAT / Drummond

Not sure I'd do it, but a pretty solid 8-Man...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#105 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:28 pm

GEE wrote:Money should be right, but can't move Drummond for another month. Maybe our basketball operations will be out of the mud by then.

Portland trades: CJ / Nurkic / FRP
Portland gets: KAT / Drummond / Prince

Philly trades: Simmons / Drummond / Curry
Philly gets: CJ / Nurkic

Minny trades: KAT / Prince
Minny gets: Simmons / Curry / FRP

Some sweetener will be needed, but not much IMO, especially if KAT publicly requests a trade.

Dame / Simons
Powell
ROCO / Little
Nance
KAT / Drummond

Not sure I'd do it, but a pretty solid 8-Man...

If I'm Philly, I'd much rather have Curry at 8.3M/year than CJ at 33M/year. Hell, as a Blazer fan I'd rather have Curry and his contract than CJ and his contract. And I don't know why Philly would want Nurkic as a backup costing 5 times as much as Drummond

Philly hangs up the phone at that proposal...sorry
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#106 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Ya, Seth playing so well is making a CJ to PHI deal less likely by the minute.

And as Wiz said, Andre at like 1.5M over Nurkic at 15M to be a backup is a no brainer, even if Jusuf is better.

I am still not seeing a forward option in a CJ trade that improves our team and is realistic. I always had Tobias as the guy most attainable for CJ, but again Curry is just balling this year and is cheap AF.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#107 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:18 pm

Probably all fair points. Latest Atlantic article on the subject points to this stalemate going the long haul. Reportedly there are upwards of “30” players Morey would consider moving Simmons for, but that nearly every other team interested are getting more and more skittish about making a trade for someone as unstable as Simmons is. Whether his claims of mental illness are real, exaggerated or fabricated, all the possible answers are equally as concerning in terms of the possibility that this situation could happen again on a new team.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#108 » by BNM » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm

I think if POR is involved in a Simmons trade, it will end up being a 3 or 4 team trade including TOR and maybe HOU, with Siakam ending up in POR. TOR is clearly going with a rebuilding/youth movement, and while Siakam isn't exactly old, they already have multiple young, talented and cheap guys capable of eventually replacing him. They also get Simmons as another young(ish) piece to built around.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#109 » by JasonStern » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 am

BNM wrote:I think if POR is involved in a Simmons trade, it will end up being a 3 or 4 team trade including TOR and maybe HOU, with Siakam ending up in POR.

That would be awesome. But my money is on "if POR is involved, we make some negligible trade that gets us under the luxury tax without looking like we gave up on the season". Like McLemore + salary difference for another team's currently signed likely bust 2nd round pick. Do that and have Nurk's bonuses not hit and the Blazers are out of the luxury tax...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#110 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:52 am

JasonStern wrote:
BNM wrote:I think if POR is involved in a Simmons trade, it will end up being a 3 or 4 team trade including TOR and maybe HOU, with Siakam ending up in POR.

That would be awesome. But my money is on "if POR is involved, we make some negligible trade that gets us under the luxury tax without looking like we gave up on the season". Like McLemore + salary difference for another team's currently signed likely bust 2nd round pick. Do that and have Nurk's bonuses not hit and the Blazers are out of the luxury tax...

This is far more likely unfortunately. Olshey has made his living as the bridesmaid and never the bride in the big 3 team deals.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#111 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Morey has Jeremi Grant on his 30 list of acceptable players for a Simmons trade? That's gotta be with a truck load of picks, right? Grant is having a great season, but pretty far cry from the Lillard, Beal's and Harden's of the world he is also wanting...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers