ImageImageImageImageImage

Let’s be honest overachieving last year hurt more then it helped

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Let’s be honest overachieving last year hurt more then it helped 

Post#1 » by EricAnderson » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm

I’m usually someone who’s about rebuilding and not taking shortcuts to make the playoffs and even I got caught up in last year because it was so much fun and weve been bad for so long.

But in reality it was the type of year a lot of us complain about. Team with no franchise player and limited upside making the playoffs and not having a high pick to try to get a star player.

Let’s forget the FA pipe dream we’ve been burned on that enough. It isn’t happening.

Our only hope to contention at this point is two disgruntled stars want to come here (I’m not holding my breath for one to do that never mind two.) because let’s be honest even if we got a Dane we’re not winning a title.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,876

Re: Let’s be honest overachieving last year hurt more then it helped 

Post#2 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:55 pm

No
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,293

Post#3 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Start over. Fire Rose. Fire Wes. Fire Thibs. Trade everybody and lets build around Grimes
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,421

Post#4 » by JXL » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:39 pm

EricAnderson wrote:I’m usually someone who’s about rebuilding and not taking shortcuts to make the playoffs and even I got caught up in last year because it was so much fun and weve been bad for so long.

But in reality it was the type of year a lot of us complain about. Team with no franchise player and limited upside making the playoffs and not having a high pick to try to get a star player.

Let’s forget the FA pipe dream we’ve been burned on that enough. It isn’t happening.

Our only hope to contention at this point is two disgruntled stars want to come here (I’m not holding my breath for one to do that never mind two.) because let’s be honest even if we got a Dane we’re not winning a title.

Can we blame Dolan again? Or is this another "Knicks sky is falling" rhetoric?

It's dudes like you and GreenArrow that makes the Knicks fanbase toxic. LET. THEM. WORK. IT. OUT.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,249

Post#5 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Tanking and getting any of the top 5 picks would have been a better outcome. Instead we got our culos blasted by the Hawks which brought nothing of value. Last year was the perfect season to punt on due to the lack of fans for the majority of the season.

We are a play in team which is a step back from last season.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#6 » by NYKat » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:17 pm

I think we’ll find our groove around game 25-30 but apparently I’m the eternal optimist around here, so who knows
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#7 » by pwayknicks » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Not trading randle was the only mistake. Anyone who watches basketball knew his last season was fools gold. We could of got something nice for him, hopefully still can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#8 » by seren » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm

It is a tough one. Did we overachieve or other teams underachieved?
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#9 » by F N 11 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:00 pm

That’s why we hired Thibs right. To keep fans happy.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,912

Post#10 » by god shammgod » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:49 pm

it really started to go wrong when randle took a supposed leap. they drafted his replacement and had it in mind to move on from him. they were entertaining trading him that summer. but he just played too well to get rid of. and now we're here.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,201

Post#11 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:51 pm

god shammgod wrote:it really started to go wrong when randle took a supposed leap. they drafted his replacement and had it in mind to move on from him. they were entertaining trading him that summer. but he just played too well to get rid of. and now we're here.

Should’ve pulled the trigger on the batum trade when we had the chance!!!!!!!!!!!
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,880

Post#12 » by DaGawd » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm

The longer we go on this season like this.. the ugly elephant in the room could rear it’s head.. James L Dolan
BaF
Washington Wizards
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,900

Post#13 » by Dubious Handles » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Relax guys we'll be fine. Look at the Bucks and the Celtics.. we will definitely make top 6, as will those teams.
Randle is wisely just feeling things out to get a good feel of the new officiating, the new ball and his new teammates. He will turn it on when it matters!
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,418

Post#14 » by duetta » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Let be even more honest. Nobody asks what we think!
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#15 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:42 pm

god shammgod wrote:it really started to go wrong when randle took a supposed leap. they drafted his replacement and had it in mind to move on from him. they were entertaining trading him that summer. but he just played too well to get rid of. and now we're here.

A smarter front office would have seen his season and realized it was a contract year, the Clippers wisely dumped Tobias Harris during a 21/8/3 season he was having for them, because even the prospect of a draft pick was better than having to pay him a max.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#16 » by vallen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Winning never hurts. Lets be honest how FK'n stupid this thread is.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,355

Post#17 » by robillionaire » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:08 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

A smarter front office would have seen his season and realized it was a contract year, the Clippers wisely dumped Tobias Harris during a 21/8/3 season he was having for them, because even the prospect of a draft pick was better than having to pay him a max.

Well Tobias Harris makes significantly more than Randle does, he got paid 5 years 180 mil and will make 39 mil the final season of it. Randle got 4 year extension and the final year player option making 29 mil which for all we know he could opt out of if he’s putting up decent numbers. It wasn’t a true max and I think will be very manageable. We paid this guy 20M for 3 years before he ever even became an all star
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#18 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 pm

robillionaire wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Well Tobias Harris makes significantly more than Randle does, he got paid 5 years 180 mil and will make 39 mil the final season of it. Randle got 4 year extension and the final year player option making 29 mil which for all we know he could opt out of if he’s putting up decent numbers. It wasn’t a true max and I think will be very manageable. We paid this guy 20M for 3 years before he ever even became an all star

What do the Sixers making a mistake have to do with the Clippers getting rid of Harris? The Clippers aren't the ones that gave him that contract.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#19 » by EricAnderson » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:14 pm

vallen wrote:Winning never hurts. Lets be honest how FK'n stupid this thread is.

In the NBA it absolutely can
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#20 » by vallen » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:42 am

EricAnderson wrote:
vallen wrote:Winning never hurts. Lets be honest how FK'n stupid this thread is.

In the NBA it absolutely can

So we can get that draft pic that never seems to work out?

Winning gained our very young team valuable playoff experience even if it was short. It showed the youth what its like to win, how hard you have to work to get there, and the will and motivation to do it again. For a young team like ours it can go a long way. Not about to panic 15 games in, but I dont think my expectations are as high as yours either. Whatever cry more.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.

Return to New York Knicks