ImageImageImage

Blowing it up? Not yet.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Blowing it up? Not yet. 

Post#21 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Klomp wrote:People are talking about upside, ceilings. What could happen if everything went right. Not making predictions of what is most likely.

Upside, ceiling, if everything went right?
And you going for the similarities with the Phoenix Suns of last year? Wow

Anyway, don't say we are where we were supposed to be because you know that's not true for the majority of the people here.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,142

Post#22 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:13 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:
Klomp wrote:People are talking about upside, ceilings. What could happen if everything went right. Not making predictions of what is most likely.

Anyway, don't say we are where we were supposed to be because you know that's not true for the majority of the people here.

Just answer one question for me please. Do you honestly believe a trade for size wouldn’t fix the most immediate problems? If yes doesn’t that mean we don’t need to blow it up? If No then what are the most immediate problems you see?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,968

Post#23 » by shrink » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

winforlose wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:

Just answer one question for me please. Do you honestly believe a trade for size wouldn’t fix the most immediate problems? If yes doesn’t that mean we don’t need to blow it up? If No then what are the most immediate problems you see?

This is my feeling as well. A bruiser underneath, who is at least a mediocre shooter that requires being guarded.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#24 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Yes we need a stable presence at power forward… However, our elite supporting cast are proving to be unreliable and inefficient shooters/scorers. That PF will not make Ant or DLo shoot better. This offensive model is reliant on Ant, DLo, Beasley obviously shooting/scoring better. Had the front office known we would be suffering from this tragic performance of our guards they may have went a different direction
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
winforlose
General Manager

Post#25 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 pm

Dewey wrote:Yes we need a stable presence at power forward… However, our elite supporting cast are proving to be unreliable and inefficient shooters/scorers. That PF will not make Ant or DLo shoot better.

On the contrary. It will change the way we are defended and create more opportunities for Ant to drive and for Dlo to get open looks in catch and shoot. Neither is happening often enough and both will be significant improvements.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,130

Post#26 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 pm

The craziest thing to me is that we have proven good shooters shooting terribly, it's so bizarre. I can understand one, maybe two, but nearly every one of our known shooters is really shooting below their average outside of KAT, who inexplicably, doesn't get a lot of shots. Just crazy illogically bad stuff seems to happen to this team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#27 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Calinks wrote:The craziest thing to me is that we have proven good shooters shooting terribly, it's so bizarre. I can understand one, maybe two, but nearly every one of our known shooters is really shooting below their average outside of KAT, who inexplicably, doesn't get a lot of shots. Just crazy illogically bad stuff seems to happen to this team.

It does! I don’t think there’s any doubt that if we shoot and rebound better we are obviously going to show better than a 5-9 record … it’s about the willing in the able. Everyone is able to rebound better but are they willing?
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,968

Post#28 » by shrink » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:41 pm

I think beating Sacramento was almost mandatory, or the team would go off the rails on a quest to make the play offs.

I would say tonight’s Spurs game is necessary too. The team needs to carry the mindset that they will win games like this, or else the players and the team will starting thinking too much about the “blow it up” option. I think we are dangerously close.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#29 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 pm

winforlose wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:

You need size, you need playmaking, better defenders, and most important of all, better BBIQ players.
If you think the problem is only size then you are out of your mind. As you are showing with your claims.

The main problem is that we are at the limit of cap space and let's be honest here, we know what is the problem, you have one guy making 30M that he was supposed to get half of that money, and maybe that is way too much.

Until we get rid of KAT bff we are not going anywhere, that's the bottom line here.
Not until that contract is reduced to 10-12M max and he has to play as 6th man.

Getting Larry Nance (6 ft 7) over the Jaden McDaniels (6 ft 9 ) is not going to solve anything at all.
And the problem is, we don't have the flexibility to do anything.

Ok, don't trade KAT or Ant obviously, but at least try for once to build a proper team around them.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#30 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:53 pm

Sad thing is if rosas waited a bit he could have traded Wiggins and a first for Chris paul instead.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,130

Post#31 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 pm

Sure we could rebound better, particularly on some nights but I don't think we can do consistently. We just do not have guys with size and good rebounders. We are outmanned on that front. Wouldn't be a massive problem if we were lights-out shooters and actually ran the floor efficiently but we don't. We fumble on fast breaks and right now we cannot shoot.

We could really use a Brook Lopez.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#32 » by fattymcgee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Neeva wrote:Sad thing is if rosas waited a bit he could have traded Wiggins and a first for Chris paul instead.

CP3 would've refused to come here, we were a 19 win team.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#33 » by a8bil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:29 am

Agree with OP. Min has a flawed lineup, but is still playing teams well. Min is fighting against 2 major hurdles. First, they don't have a culture of winning...it's really important down the line in close games to have players who know how to win. Min doesn't have that. Second, they have two starters who are weak defenders and are not great for closing out games -- KAT and Dlo. KAT because as great of a shooter he is, he's not great at creating his own shot. DLo because he's an inefficient chucker. The team needs to figure out how to win consistently with these flawed tools. In my view, if Min got one good wing who could score consistently that would push DLo to the background, Min can take a few steps up. Who that is, I don't know, but I can see it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#34 » by winforlose » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:57 am

Quick observation. The last six games we held our opponent to under 100 points in 5 of them. We had two blowout wins, two solid wins, a blow out loss and a close loss to a top western conference team. Hard to argue something isn’t trending in the right direction.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#35 » by winforlose » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:57 pm

Just saw this on the power rankings at NBA.com

“The Wolves’ four-game homestand couldn’t have gone much better. The opener was an ugly offensive performance, but it was just a three-point loss to the team that’s now won 12 straight games. And the Wolves proceeded to win the next three games by a total of 98 points, just their third winning streak of three or more games in the last three seasons. The defense has been improved and their win over the Grizzlies on Saturday was the most offensive efficient performance (138 points on 98 possessions) for any team this season. Anthony Edwards scored 23 points on just 10 shots and one trip to the line.

They’ve started Patrick Beverley and Jarred Vanderbilt for each of the last six games, and the starting lineup has outscored its opponents by an amazing 49.1 points per 100 possessions, the best mark (by a huge margin) among 33 lineups that have played at least 75 minutes. But it’s played exactly 75 minutes, averaging just 11.5 per game over this six-game stretch. (For comparison, the Suns’ starting lineup has averaged 20.4 minutes per game.) Fouls have been an issue; All five starters had four or five in the Phoenix game and the Wolves have four of the 18 players who’ve averaged at least 4.5 fouls per 36 minutes in 200 minutes or more. They’ve been outscored by 5.1 points per game at the free throw line, which would be the worst differential of the last 10 seasons.“

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2021-22-week-6
winforlose
General Manager

Post#36 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 am

I kinda want to bump this thread and I hope people revisit it for context this season. Also, for those of you saying Dlo needs to go, has your opinion changed at all?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#37 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:47 am

Bit early to be handing out crow.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#38 » by A1FromDay1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:39 am

shangrila wrote:Bit early to be handing out crow.

No, I also drop by every few days to see how the vibe changes on here, especially after winning streaks or losing streaks. But that's just to compare your perception with mine, not to prove someone wrong. It's for the same reason that I check various power rankings.
Homo homini lupus est.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#39 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 pm

Really, that all you think my post was? It couldn’t possibly be an honest question about Dlo now that his value is starting to shine through? I mean honestly it was the biggest trade for better or worse for the Wolves since Butler. Top 3 since Wiggins for Love as well. This wasn’t about crow :(
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#40 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:02 pm

winforlose wrote:

Really, that all you think my post was? It couldn’t possibly be an honest question about Dlo now that his value is starting to shine through? I mean honestly it was the biggest trade for better or worse for the Wolves since Butler. Top 3 since Wiggins for Love as well. This wasn’t about crow :(

winforlose wrote:I kinda want to bump this thread and I hope people revisit it for context this season. Also, for those of you saying Dlo needs to go, has your opinion changed at all?

If you wanted to talk about Russell, you could and should have done it in the dedicated Russell thread. But instead you bump both this thread and the other one? Yeah, you were trying to hand out crow.

Kudos for giving yourself an out though. Most people don't think that far ahead.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves