Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#401 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 am

Valeron wrote:
Manolito wrote:When MPJ is averaging 25ppg come back here and read who wanted to kick him out after 9 games

Not a matter of how he played those 9 games at all. Doesn't worry whatsoever. It's a matter of him recovering for 1.5 years with the back injury and now he is out with it again. Don't see him play over 70% of games during his max contract. I hope I'm wrong, but risks are high and should not be taken by talent-loaded Nuggets.

Not a very optimistic POV
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Valeron
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#402 » by Valeron » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Valeron wrote:Since his latest injury an idea of trading Porter can't leave my mind. Bones keeps proving game after game that it will make a lot of sense.
There is a chance Porter will become an elite player or an all-star but in Denver's situation this is a huge risk to gamble with his max contract and see if he will be able to play at all down the line, let's say 2-3 years from now.
If I was Minnesota or most of other teams - I would gamble. If I'm Denver, I would trade him for a decent starter at small forward position. His max contract can kill potential dynasty.
Murray, Bones and Jokic - that is more than enough for us on offence. Bones fits so much better than Porter, where the former is a constant target in play-offs. Also trading Porter will provide much more flexibility as Bones will play 3 more seasons on a rookie contract.
I might exaggerate, but strongly believe Denver should avoid such risk, let Porter recover, show to the league what he can and then trade him for another forward and a pick.

Interesting, you are willing to wait the whole year on Murray without saying this, but MPJ missing some early games and you're ready to trade him ??? Because you feel Bones MAY be able to fit that 3rd option (why not be happy with him as a super 6th man ?) when you've seen him, what, 15 total games ??? WOW. I really like what I see from Bones, think he's gonna be a special player, I do. But let's keep this team together to see what ALL the pieces look like, we may have a juggernaut/dynasty type team.

There is a big difference between Murray's and Porter's health situation. ACL is not multiple lower back hernias that occurred and started to bother even before 20 yo.

6th man? he is already a 6th man 15 games in. Yes, 15 games is enough to tell he will be a special player. Don't think he will stop at where he is right now.

I was optimistic about Porter before, yet another lower back tightness injury when he is out for a foreseeable future stopped my optimism.
From now on you will see him miss more and more games with that tightness until at some point (maybe in a year, maybe in 3 years if we are lucky) Nuggets will announce he needs another surgery to pull out the parts of the disc that are pushing on the surrounding nerve which are causing him this tightness. Back won't get better with time. It will happen over and over. That's most likely scenario to me, so Nuggets don't have much time to see how things will play out imo. Maybe a year they do have, not more than that.

I do hope I'm wrong, just afraid of a possible cap space disaster because of his career-ending injury.
I said that from the beginning, most teams should take this gamble, but not the Nuggets at this point.

We just look at his back injury differently. That's why I'm saying Nuggets should consider trading him. Not now, because he is not tradable now, but in foreseeable future
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#403 » by Richard Miller » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:05 pm

Valeron wrote:We just look at his back injury differently. That's why I'm saying Nuggets should consider trading him. Not now, because he is not tradable now, but in foreseeable future

Few players are 100% available, Kawhi is load managing for years now and still managed to win a ring, Embiid never played a full season in his career and was still an MVP runner-up and so on. If Nuggets want to trade MPJ everyone will act like his injury is irreparable (even if it isn't) so best case scenario you get some equally flawed player back (ilke Ben Simmons), worst case scenario you get some other albatross like Wall or Westbrook
skywalker33

Post#404 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:51 pm

Valeron wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Valeron wrote:Since his latest injury an idea of trading Porter can't leave my mind. Bones keeps proving game after game that it will make a lot of sense.
There is a chance Porter will become an elite player or an all-star but in Denver's situation this is a huge risk to gamble with his max contract and see if he will be able to play at all down the line, let's say 2-3 years from now.
If I was Minnesota or most of other teams - I would gamble. If I'm Denver, I would trade him for a decent starter at small forward position. His max contract can kill potential dynasty.
Murray, Bones and Jokic - that is more than enough for us on offence. Bones fits so much better than Porter, where the former is a constant target in play-offs. Also trading Porter will provide much more flexibility as Bones will play 3 more seasons on a rookie contract.
I might exaggerate, but strongly believe Denver should avoid such risk, let Porter recover, show to the league what he can and then trade him for another forward and a pick.

Interesting, you are willing to wait the whole year on Murray without saying this, but MPJ missing some early games and you're ready to trade him ??? Because you feel Bones MAY be able to fit that 3rd option (why not be happy with him as a super 6th man ?) when you've seen him, what, 15 total games ??? WOW. I really like what I see from Bones, think he's gonna be a special player, I do. But let's keep this team together to see what ALL the pieces look like, we may have a juggernaut/dynasty type team.

There is a big difference between Murray's and Porter's health situation. ACL is not multiple lower back hernias that occurred and started to bother even before 20 yo.

6th man? he is already a 6th man 15 games in. Yes, 15 games is enough to tell he will be a special player. Don't think he will stop at where he is right now.

I was optimistic about Porter before, yet another lower back tightness injury when he is out for a foreseeable future stopped my optimism.
From now on you will see him miss more and more games with that tightness until at some point (maybe in a year, maybe in 3 years if we are lucky) Nuggets will announce he needs another surgery to pull out the parts of the disc that are pushing on the surrounding nerve which are causing him this tightness. Back won't get better with time. It will happen over and over. That's most likely scenario to me, so Nuggets don't have much time to see how things will play out imo. Maybe a year they do have, not more than that.

I do hope I'm wrong, just afraid of a possible cap space disaster because of his career-ending injury.
I said that from the beginning, most teams should take this gamble, but not the Nuggets at this point.

We just look at his back injury differently. That's why I'm saying Nuggets should consider trading him. Not now, because he is not tradable now, but in foreseeable future

Well, it's obvious you have an agenda you want to discuss, so let's go there (or at least in that direction).

Seeing as you want to trade MPJ, what kind of return would you anticipate. As you pointed out, he's not real tradeable right now, but let's postulate that he returns and puts up a 19/7/2 season for the rest of his year. Seems reasonable since he was close to that last year, so given his debilitating career-long injury history you project, what are you looking for in return. Richard has clearly exampled the low offers he's expecting (which I agree, people will try to steal the talent for cheap), so since you are advocating this, what kind of return are you willing to accept for "damaged good" ???

Valeron
Ballboy

Post#405 » by Valeron » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Valeron wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Well, it's obvious you have an agenda you want to discuss, so let's go there (or at least in that direction).

Seeing as you want to trade MPJ, what kind of return would you anticipate. As you pointed out, he's not real tradeable right now, but let's postulate that he returns and puts up a 19/7/2 season for the rest of his year. Seems reasonable since he was close to that last year, so given his debilitating career-long injury history you project, what are you looking for in return. Richard has clearly exampled the low offers he's expecting (which I agree, people will try to steal the talent for cheap), so since you are advocating this, what kind of return are you willing to accept for "damaged good" ???

You all were not worried about his injury at all and disliked the idea of considering trading him, now you saying we will get only Simmons or Westbrook because of his health?

Meanwhile, Rivers said in the postgame Porter played this whole season through the back pain. The Missouri story repeats itself. His poor performance yet explained now.

Man, I'm not gonna propose specific trade ideas. Let's say I would consider any 3&D forward in exchange just to dump his max contract and get some replacement.

Again, I'll be more than happy if he follows Kawai or Embiid path with injury-management. But seems nobody from a medical stuff/management knows what will happen long-term with his back and what to do with it. I believed they were sure about his back giving him max contract, now seems it's not the case.

I hope you are all right. If so and he plays up to the level of a max player from next season - chances for the title are super high.

I had a concern I carried through my daily life since he got injured :D and I wanted to share and let myself free lol

I'm not here to troll or debate forever about the topic. I dint' into myself, maybe that's why you take me as an enemy :D
I'm new to this forum, but still a long time nugget fan, not an English speaker, yet wanted to post as I like your discussions here.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#406 » by Richard Miller » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:48 pm

Valeron wrote:
Man, I'm not gonna propose specific trade ideas. Let's say I would consider any 3&D forward in exchange just to dump his max contract and get some replacement.

You already have Zeke, PJ (or even Bol) who pretty much fit "any 3&D forward" definition so the Nuggets no need to hurry, if anything MPJ is still on his rookie contract, his max doesn't kick in until the next season.
Valeron
Ballboy

Post#407 » by Valeron » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
Valeron wrote:

You already have Zeke, PJ (or even Bol) who pretty much fit "any 3&D forward" definition so the Nuggets no need to hurry, if anything MPJ is still on his rookie contract, his max doesn't kick in until the next season.

I regret I gave you smth to nitpick lol. It's not about trade ideas, man. Best return possible while dumping his max is all I would look for.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#408 » by Richard Miller » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:41 pm

Valeron wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
Valeron wrote:

I regret I gave you smth to nitpick lol. It's not about trade ideas, man. Best return possible while dumping his max is all I would look for.

Yea, but what's the "best return possible" for someone on a max contract also written off for health reasons? You'd likely be looking at similar offers the Cavs are getting for Kevin Love (if they are getting anything that is). I'd rather keep MPJ in that case.
skywalker33

Post#409 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Just comes across as Valeron is disguising as a Nuggets fan, how many TRUE Nuggets fans want to trade, especially on a low-ball offer, what could become a star player. Has got nothing else other than he sees Bones as a replacement player (rather than an additional weapon).

Valeron
Ballboy

Post#410 » by Valeron » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 am

skywalker33 wrote:Just comes across as Valeron is disguising as a Nuggets fan, how many TRUE Nuggets fans want to trade, especially on a low-ball offer, what could become a star player. Has got nothing else other than he sees Bones as a replacement player (rather than an additional weapon).

You'll remember this discussion when Nuggets announce he needs another surgery and will miss ANOTHER season.

By the way, you have a very cool nickname here, I like it :))
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#411 » by Richard Miller » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Valeron wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Just comes across as Valeron is disguising as a Nuggets fan, how many TRUE Nuggets fans want to trade, especially on a low-ball offer, what could become a star player. Has got nothing else other than he sees Bones as a replacement player (rather than an additional weapon).

You'll remember this discussion when Nuggets announce he needs another surgery and will miss ANOTHER season.

Lol are you wishing injury on him? Some fan you are
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#412 » by The Rebel » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 am

Valeron wrote:

Are you the guy who lost his shoes to MPJ in that video game incident a while back? Did he sleep with your girl? Or are you using a fake account and pretending to be a Nuggets fan?
Manolito
Senior
And1: 390

Post#413 » by Manolito » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:26 am

MPJ out for the season....

Ok guys, that was all. Championship window is offitially closed

Why giving him such a contract if there were health concerns? Why one year in advance? Or was it completely new and unexpected to FO?

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#414 » by Richard Miller » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:29 am

Manolito wrote:MPJ out for the season....

He's not out yet, the unofficial word is that his issue *could* jeopardize his season. However even if true, if Jamal is back and the rest of starters remain healthy they will still have a decent chance.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,531

Post#415 » by Alatan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:53 pm

Worst contract ever.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#416 » by The Rebel » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:27 pm

Richard Miller wrote:

He's not out yet, the unofficial word is that his issue *could* jeopardize his season. However even if true, if Jamal is back and the rest of starters remain healthy they will still have a decent chance.

Most guys coming off of ACLs may come back in 8-12 months, most of them take a full 18 months before they get to their top level again.

Honestly at this point, if MPJ is out for the season, than I think we sit Jokic for any excuse we can and tank the season. Give some of the young guys all the minutes they can handle and see if we can't develop a quality bench for next season.
skywalker33

Post#417 » by skywalker33 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Why giving him such a contract if there were health concerns? Why one year in advance? Or was it completely new and unexpected to FO?

Sent from my GM1913 using RealGM mobile app

It's apparent you didn't see him in preseason, he was looking great before this tweak. You seem very anachronistic with intent to predict disaster....which comes across as WEAK !!

skywalker33

Post#418 » by skywalker33 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Valeron wrote:

Nah, I rarely remember ANY conversation. But it does show your continued dislike of a very good Nuggets player, most fans try to support their FAVORITE TEAMS star players, why I question your fandom so far.

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#419 » by Richard Miller » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:50 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Most guys coming off of ACLs may come back in 8-12 months, most of them take a full 18 months before they get to their top level again.

Honestly at this point, if MPJ is out for the season, than I think we sit Jokic for any excuse we can and tank the season. Give some of the young guys all the minutes they can handle and see if we can't develop a quality bench for next season.

Young guys also need to learn to play with Jokic, this is not OKC or Detroit though. I don't think Jamal plans to sit out the entire season, we'll see I guess. And tbh, the first game without MPJ was vs Heat and the Nuggets dominated one of the best Eastern teams, they are perfectly capable playing without him if everybody else are in form.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,203

Post#420 » by GeorgeSears » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:20 pm

As bad as Porter was playing this season (which I'm sure was due to an underlying injury) it's going to be very difficult to replace his production from last season. I wouldn't feel as worried about it if the bench wasn't so bad.

Return to Denver Nuggets