ImageImageImage

Did you like being a 8th seed treadmill team or towards the top of the draft order more?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Playoff first round exit or top of draft lottery

Playoff first round treadmill team
71%
Top of draft lottery
29%

Total votes: 24

coolcono
Senior
And1: 115

Did you like being a 8th seed treadmill team or towards the top of the draft order more? 

Post#1 » by coolcono » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:16 pm

I was debating whether I liked being a playoff treadmill team. Fodder for the first seed in the west or being perennially towards the top of the draft with a chance to be obtain the 1st pick.
I actually think I prefer the latter. I remember it was depressing watching KG get predictably ousted in the first round for x years.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Re: Did you like being a 8th seed treadmill team or towards the top of the draft order more? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:47 pm

I'd for sure take playoffs at this point. I could see taking top of the draft after several first round exits, but that's not where we are.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Re: Did you like being a 8th seed treadmill team or towards the top of the draft order more? 

Post#3 » by shrink » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:07 pm

If I’m being totally honest with myself, I think most seasons I have preferred the lottery. Now, that doesn’t mean I have ever watched a game and hoped for a loss, but most years we have been severely lacking in talent, to be a true competitor.

This year, I would definitely prefer making the playoffs. Even if we get there, I think we will be immediately bounced, since our roster is just loaded with one-way players that would be schemed against by any competent playoff team. My preference would be to see a lot of transactions that build a better team around Ant AND KAT.

I noted on the trade board that KAT has seen a lot of losing, and gets blamed for it, but the most talented player he’s played with, besides a season of Jimmy Butler, is probably .. Andrew Wiggins! Yuck!

Ant has the potential to finally be the star next to KAT that he has never had. And people want to reward his loyalty by trading him away now?!? Ant-KAT is a decent core .. I think the playoffs are possible, but the GM needs to have a good season, overhauling Rosas’ misfit toys.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#4 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

I think it depends on how your roster is constructed. Do you have your star to build around?

While high-end talent always helps, I'd counter by saying continued losing hurts just the same.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Post#5 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:15 pm

2019 lottery pick Jarrett Culver. 2017 lottery pick traded for Jimmy Butler and took Justin Patterson. 2016 lottery pick Kris Dunn. 2015 we took KAT at #1 but it hardly counts because he was a no brainer. Best player by a mile. 2014, we took Zach Lavine and traded for Andrew Wiggins. We gave away Lavine for a 1 year rental in Butler and we watched Wiggins become the worst contract in the NBA. 2013 we trade the #9 seed for Gorgui and Shabaz. 2011 we select Derrick Williams #2. 2010 we use #4 for Wesley freaking Johnson. I could go on. Lottery draft picks are not miracles or tickets to the top, in our case they are more like fools gold. Terrible scouting and management (and coaching,) have squandered them time after time. Success brings free agents and winning culture. I would gladly take 7 years of being the eight seed to 7 wasted picks and being the perennial league joke.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#6 » by theGreatRC » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:16 pm

I'd 100% rather make the playoffs
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#7 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 pm

We can remove the part where we are Minnesota Timberwolves and what that means with this kind of owner-management.
But let's say we would get a top-3 pick in this past draft and we would get a guy like Mobley to join Ant...

Yeah, forget the Playoff first-round treadmill team for the next years because we would be much better than that for sure.

Of course the Top of the draft lottery every single time for a team like ours.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#8 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 pm

Build a winning culture, please. You make the playoffs, let people see you have some young studs to build with, then maybe you can attract a couple decent vets to help out instead of bargain bin garbage.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#9 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 pm

How many teams in history have gone from bottom of the conference immediately to the top of the conference? We're talking about being middle of the road like it's the end of the journey, when in fact it's only halfway there. You almost always have to be playoff first round in order to keep building to be at the top of the league.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#10 » by shangrila » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:24 pm

If we ever reach the heights of being an 8th seed treadmill team, I'll let you know.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#11 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:38 pm

Been stuck in the dumpster for so long, I think I need to see a play off team to keep my sanity (as well as the team's) in check. This is just for this year of course. In the over all grand scheme of things, being a treadmill team is not good.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#12 » by Note30 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:34 am

I'd much rather be a treadmill team than whatever we are now.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#13 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 am

winforlose wrote:2019 lottery pick Jarrett Culver. 2017 lottery pick traded for Jimmy Butler and took Justin Patterson. 2016 lottery pick Kris Dunn. 2015 we took KAT at #1 but it hardly counts because he was a no brainer. Best player by a mile. 2014, we took Zach Lavine and traded for Andrew Wiggins. We gave away Lavine for a 1 year rental in Butler and we watched Wiggins become the worst contract in the NBA. 2013 we trade the #9 seed for Gorgui and Shabaz. 2011 we select Derrick Williams #2. 2010 we use #4 for Wesley freaking Johnson. I could go on. Lottery draft picks are not miracles or tickets to the top, in our case they are more like fools gold. Terrible scouting and management (and coaching,) have squandered them time after time. Success brings free agents and winning culture. I would gladly take 7 years of being the eight seed to 7 wasted picks and being the perennial league joke.

https://i.imgflip.com/5n6xva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Post#14 » by winforlose » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:10 am

Slim Tubby wrote:
winforlose wrote:2019 lottery pick Jarrett Culver. 2017 lottery pick traded for Jimmy Butler and took Justin Patterson. 2016 lottery pick Kris Dunn. 2015 we took KAT at #1 but it hardly counts because he was a no brainer. Best player by a mile. 2014, we took Zach Lavine and traded for Andrew Wiggins. We gave away Lavine for a 1 year rental in Butler and we watched Wiggins become the worst contract in the NBA. 2013 we trade the #9 seed for Gorgui and Shabaz. 2011 we select Derrick Williams #2. 2010 we use #4 for Wesley freaking Johnson. I could go on. Lottery draft picks are not miracles or tickets to the top, in our case they are more like fools gold. Terrible scouting and management (and coaching,) have squandered them time after time. Success brings free agents and winning culture. I would gladly take 7 years of being the eight seed to 7 wasted picks and being the perennial league joke.

https://i.imgflip.com/5n6xva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though it may be sad, it also happens to be true. The perfect answer to the poll and to you ;)
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#15 » by King Malta » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:26 am

Watching KG drag the club to the playoffs every year for nearly a decade was significantly more entertaining than almost all of the lottery seasons we've witnessed since.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#16 » by Krapinsky » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:26 am

Only time I’d want to be a lottery team is if there was a generational talent at the top of the draft like a Lebron or KD. Otherwise, I’ll take the playoffs, build a winning culture and hope somebody takes the leap to make ya a contender.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#17 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:48 am

I’d like to make the playoffs 8th seed with these young guys first then see where it goes.

Our talent level is much higher than the Orlando Magic trip of Vuc, Formier, Gordon who had the 8 seed for 3 seasons before they blew it up and went full rebuild.
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#18 » by Guidus88 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:32 am

voted for Playoff first round treadmill team

with the talent we have we would be a very scary team in the PO
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#19 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 pm

In terms of player age, the Wolves are the 5th youngest team in team in the NBA with some fairly high end talent that still has a ton of unrealized potential upside. I don't see the choice as being between a treadmill team or a lottery team. If things come together there is a very real chance of the team having a 4-5 year gradual ascent towards the top of the playoff standings, especially if the front office can fix the ridiculously unbalanced roster.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves