ImageImageImage

Grant for Simmons Trade Rumors

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Niximusprime
Ballboy
And1: 25

Grant for Simmons Trade Rumors 

Post#1 » by Niximusprime » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 am

How is no one talking about this? Apparently the pistons are discussing a trade for Simmons and they “might include Bey and Olynyk”.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Re: Grant for Simmons Trade Rumors 

Post#2 » by BDM22 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:23 am

Niximusprime wrote:How is no one talking about this? Apparently the pistons are discussing a trade for Simmons and they “might include Bey and Olynyk”.

Because they're probably just using the Pistons to re-activate talks around the league.

Simmons is super risky IMO. Grant AND Bey AND picks for a guy who will take the ball out of Cade's hands, can't shoot, and is a malcontent who could just quit on the team whenever he felt like it? :-?

For Grant and filler, I guess, sure. I wouldn't add a whole lot to sweeten that pot though.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:25 am

One source said power forward/center Kelly Olynyk and second-year swingman Saddiq Bey were mentioned as players who could be included in a possible deal. However, a source said the Pistons are unlikely to include Bey, a Villanova product, or Olynyk.

A person close to the Sixers said the team would want a more high-profile player than Grant in exchange for Simmons. The source added that the team hasn’t spoken to the Pistons lately.

But multiple sources said the Sixers have, and that the discussions were centered around Grant.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:25 am

No deal unless it's just Grant and Olynyk, Hayes type of package. Probably a bad fit though and would really take the ball out of Cades hands cause he can't do anything off ball.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,679

Post#5 » by Cowology » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:37 am

If we are trading for Simmons then we damn sure better be getting a great deal in terms of value, because in terms of fit it doesn't make a lot of sense. This is a buncha nothing.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,063

Post#6 » by MrBigShot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:40 am

Simmons is quite literally the last player in the NBA I want on the pistons. That attitude paired with his contract, no thanks. And I don't think Grant is really the level of player they are looking for in return.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#7 » by smann7 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 am

You would have to move Hayes if Simmons was brought in. Something like Grant/Hayes and something. I wouldn’t add picks to that.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#8 » by mattao313 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:05 am

Like I said in another thread Grant and anyone else besides Cade and Bey. No picks. I'd think hard with Bey tho.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#9 » by detroitKG » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:18 am

HELL NO.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#10 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:23 am

Garbage, and one article I read even said this stems from reporting based on “unnamed sources” and that any logic behind the Pistons considering this is laughable. It’s someone just trying to generate news.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#11 » by tradez401 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:48 am

smann7 wrote:You would have to move Hayes if Simmons was brought in. Something like Grant/Hayes and something. I wouldn’t add picks to that.

maxey would have to be included or its a no deal for me.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#12 » by zeebneeb » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:52 am

Here's the thing, and the reason Weaver won't make the deal the Sixers want;

Relative value. Getting back equal value for Simmons is nebulous itself as a concept, but this is more about how thenplauer you receive in return fits.

Grant, is a much better fit for the Sixers then Simmons. Grant can get into the lane just as Simmons could. Grant can defend as well. Now, he may not be the passer, or defender Simmons is but he's close enough that his outside shooting, and being able to create his own shot equals it out.

I would be willing to do a simple swap(maybe some 2nds), but no more.

Good luck sixers getting a better deal then that.

Sometimes its not about getting a perceived equal value, but a player that will be a better fit.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Post#13 » by NYPiston » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:26 am

I just checked in on YouTube and saw an "Everything King" video in my recommendations discussing Simmons to Pistons rumors so I had to check here to see what it's all about and it doesn't seem like any reliable reporting to me.

For the sake of discussion, Weaver must see Simmons in a power forward role because bringing in a guy who will take the ball away from Cade and Hayes for that matter is not a good idea and this is a bottom of the barrel shooting team so I don't see why they'd exhaust so many resources to bring in a guy who can't shoot.

I don't know, this screams like a Gores wanting to make a splash move, that's if these rumors have any legs which seems doubtful.
Stay the course Troy, don't fall into that temptation.
Pistonrings
Bench Warmer
And1: 284

Post#14 » by Pistonrings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 am

Not gonna happen. I have heard someone, a while back on ESPN or somewhere saying several teams that would be interested would not want Simmons as a guard but as a PF. His shooting is just bad and the commentator was saying at PF he could score down low and at 6'8 could rebound and defend down there.

But it won't happen for the Pistons because the guy may believe now that if he gets tired of a team he can just refuse to play and check out mentally. Pistons don't need a head case brought around our young, developing players. We wouldn't be able to trust the guy.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#15 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:33 am

MotownMadness wrote:No deal unless it's just Grant and Olynyk, Hayes type of package. Probably a bad fit though and would really take the ball out of Cades hands cause he can't do anything off ball.

Yeah if we did make this deal it would have to be this. We would have to keep Bey for his outside shooting.

I actually feel like people underrate Simmons on court skill now because of some bad playoffs. He cant shoot but hes 6'11 240, plays All NBA defense and is an awesome athlete. Problem is hes a headcase but maybe a change of scenery can turn it aorund. Hes under contract for awhile and is only 25. I think hes a guy that you can play at multiple positions I surely dont think hes capped already.

Obv the negatives besides fit and Simmons mental would be it could ruin the tank. I think if we add Simmons to go with Cade this team is competing for a playin. He may have some problems in the playoffs but hes a force in the regular season.

One other interesting thing is getting him is if he turns it around with us he will have more value long term then the package were giving up. Also another question would be are we actually going to use are cap space on something better? Theirs a really good chance we end up spending money on worse stuff.

All in all I'm good on passing on the deal. That said I dont see this deal as as awful like as I did the Blake deal at the time of making it. Simmons is young and theirs a non zero chance we dont really get a chance at a better guy unless we draft one. We could also still not be all that good yet this season and end up with a high lotto pick and have Simmons.
Pistonrings
Bench Warmer
And1: 284

Post#16 » by Pistonrings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:41 am

NYPiston wrote:I just checked in on YouTube and saw an "Everything King" video in my recommendations discussing Simmons to Pistons rumors so I had to check here to see what it's all about and it doesn't seem like any reliable reporting to me.

For the sake of discussion, Weaver must see Simmons in a power forward role because bringing in a guy who will take the ball away from Cade and Hayes for that matter is not a good idea and this is a bottom of the barrel shooting team so I don't see why they'd exhaust so many resources to bring in a guy who can't shoot.

I don't know, this screams like a Gores wanting to make a splash move, that's if these rumors have any legs which seems doubtful.

Wow, you posted that while I was making my post. The F thing you mention, exactly what I heard commentators saying, that he should be a PF. He can't shoot good enough to play SF, or other guard positions. But at PF, he is still big enough to defend and rebound and would have an easier time scoring his points around the paint.

But he is 6'8, correct?. Same height as Grant and Grant isn't much help to Beef Stew in rebounding in the post, so I don't see him being any better of a rebounder than Grant. He would at least not be a black hole because he doesn't like to shoot and is a much better passer than Grant. But Grant is an overall scorer and Simmons isn't.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#17 » by MotownMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:12 am

Pistonrings wrote:
NYPiston wrote:I just checked in on YouTube and saw an "Everything King" video in my recommendations discussing Simmons to Pistons rumors so I had to check here to see what it's all about and it doesn't seem like any reliable reporting to me.

Wow, you posted that while I was making my post. The F thing you mention, exactly what I heard commentators saying, that he should be a PF. He can't shoot good enough to play SF, or other guard positions. But at PF, he is still big enough to defend and rebound and would have an easier time scoring his points around the paint.

But he is 6'8, correct?. Same height as Grant and Grant isn't much help to Beef Stew in rebounding in the post, so I don't see him being any better of a rebounder than Grant. He would at least not be a black hole because he doesn't like to shoot and is a much better passer than Grant. But Grant is an overall scorer and Simmons isn't.

6'11, that's what makes him so unique as a athletic playmaker
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#18 » by Rastas » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:33 am

Pistonrings wrote:

Ben Simmons was measured at 6' 9 n half inches bare footed just a couple seasons ago - that's pretty damn close to 6' 11'' NBA height.
Pretty much the same height as KO and taller than the rest of the roster.
Some fool commentators may think he is only 6' 8'' because they haven't accepted a 6' 11'' athlete can move like that yet.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#19 » by dVs33 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am

I would be pretty disappointed if we go for Simmons now.
He’s a great player when he wants to be, but is he going to want to come to Detroit? And do we really need the circus that will come with him?
I’m quite happy with our no nonsense young guys quietly developing.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#20 » by El Chivo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:19 am

I'm ok with Grant and filler, nothing more.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Return to Detroit Pistons