ImageImageImage

Grant for Simmons Trade Rumors

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Re: Grant for Simmons Trade Rumors 

Post#21 » by 440BB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:33 am

A single anonymous source, with a conflicting source in the same article? Just rumor mill stirring the pot IMO. A waste of time.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#22 » by Canadafan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:24 am

Stewart
Simmons
Bey
Cade
Hayes

That's some serious defense and playmaking

I'm sure Ben has been practicing his free throws this whole time hes been out :wink:
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#23 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Will the Sixers send Drummond over too? LOL
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#24 » by Kilo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Weaver ain't bringing in that drama. Maybe if Ben fired Klutch as part of the trade. I think odds are high that Simmons is a monster when he comes back, but the cost to acquire him isn't worth the risk that he isn't. I'd pay 40 cents on the dollar at this point for him. Morey is still demanding $1.10.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Nobody is talking about it because it’s a load of nonsense.

Wrong type of package for Philly, makes little sense for us, unimpressive source.

Take your pick. They’re all good.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#26 » by bstein14 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Jerami Grant is probably one of the more realistic type of returns that Philly could expect in return if they are looking for a player that can help them win now. You're not getting a top 20 player for Simmons. You're not getting a top player from another contender or good playoff team for Simmons. That eliminates most teams and players. A team willing to take the risk on Simmons will almost certainly be a lottery team or bottom playoff team that doesn't really have much of a chance of winning a playoff series right now.

1. Curry
2. Durant
3. Giannis
4. LeBron
5. Jokic
6. Paul George
7. Zach LaVine (Chicago too good to start this season, and also a Klutch guy)
8. Morant
9. Zion
10. Tatum
11. Brown
12. Butler
13. Luka
14. Trae Young
15. Donavan Mitchell
16. Devon Booker
17. Chris Paul
18. Anthony Davis
19. Embiid
20. SGA
21. Julius Randle
22. LaMelo Ball
23. Bam

Who does this leave as a realistic target for Philly?
Sabonis from Indiana if they want a change, someone from Minny if they want a change, some package from Sacramento, some package from Toronto if they want a change, a package from New Orleans if they think Zion and Simmons would pair well.

You are looking at players in the tier of Grant, Siakam, Brandon Ingram, Harrison Barnes, etc on teams that are going to finishing in the bottom half of the league.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#27 » by kpt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:30 pm

I would only be happy with a trade if and a big IF it does not include Bey, Cade m, and future FRPs AND we get a new coach. Bringing in Simmons will take a unique mind to coach this unique offense. Casey is not that coach. Look at the teams that were outliers or consistently good. They had Phil, Pop, Kerr and I can even make a case for Larry Browns go to work team to get the most out of their unique rosters on both sides of the court. That is needed here if we bring in Simmons. I have no idea who that unique mind is yet it is needed.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Morey should be calling Pacers back and trying to get that Brogdon deal, get them to throw in a first and LeVert or something
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#29 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm

kpt wrote:I would only be happy with a trade if and a big IF it does not include Bey, Cade m, and future FRPs AND we get a new coach. Bringing in Simmons will take a unique mind to coach this unique offense. Casey is not that coach. Look at the teams that were outliers or consistently good. They had Phil, Pop, Kerr and I can even make a case for Larry Browns go to work team to get the most out of their unique rosters on both sides of the court. That is needed here if we bring in Simmons. I have no idea who that unique mind is yet it is needed.

The problem with Simmons that he's NOT an outlier/flyer who needs to be coached up. At this point he is what he is; there should be no expectation that he's going to improve or become a different player. So the best place for him is where he fits in well being what he is right now, and that's not the Pistons. Another "star" who struggles to score is not what this team needs.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#30 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:08 pm

I think there will always be the hope that he becomes a slightly more competant scorer, but if you're trading for him and investing that kind of capital in him it needs to be under the assumption that he'll fundamentally be the guy he's been the last few years- and even assuming that is a risk right now given recent events both on the court and off. He's not at the stage in his career where adding new things to his game is impossible, but it would take effort and soul-searching that he doesn't seem interested in doing at this point.

At this point we're 4-10 and we're playing what's gotta be the youngest starting lineup in the league (or one of them). I don't personally see how injecting another ball handler who needs to be the focal point makes sense for us right now. I'm already not sure playing Cade alongside Hayes is healthy- injecting Simmons into that just feels like a hot mess to me. I'd rather just stay the course and see what we've got with our young guys while eyeing adding another piece via the draft.

I'd prefer no part in this drama.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#31 » by Billl » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:12 pm

I think simmons was overrated before this mess and now underrated after. You can basically pencil in 16/8/8 for the guy every time the ball tips and he's a defensive beast. He just doesn't seem like a good fit with the current roster, but then again, how much of this roster is going to be around when we return to championship level?
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#32 » by kpt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Manocad wrote:
kpt wrote:I would only be happy with a trade if and a big IF it does not include Bey, Cade m, and future FRPs AND we get a new coach. Bringing in Simmons will take a unique mind to coach this unique offense. Casey is not that coach. Look at the teams that were outliers or consistently good. They had Phil, Pop, Kerr and I can even make a case for Larry Browns go to work team to get the most out of their unique rosters on both sides of the court. That is needed here if we bring in Simmons. I have no idea who that unique mind is yet it is needed.

The problem with Simmons that he's NOT an outlier/flyer who needs to be coached up. At this point he is what he is; there should be no expectation that he's going to improve or become a different player. So the best place for him is where he fits in well being what he is right now, and that's not the Pistons. Another "star" who struggles to score is not what this team needs.

Let me be clear I am not suggesting we need a coach to change him or coach him up. I think we need an innovative unique coach to create a system around the talent that would be there. It would be a unique mix of players and Casey is not that coach. I agree with you there is no changing his skill set at this time
Mogolo
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#33 » by Mogolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:07 pm

as long as it doesm't include Cade or Bey .. I say whatever do it.. bring him in start the 4. it cant get much worse than most of our games. now find us an elite 3 point shooting Center who can block shots.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#34 » by Sort » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:15 pm

I agree there's much real traction here for it happening and the fit for the Pistons makes little sense. For Philly, yeah, if they can get Grant , Bey, Olynk and some draft capital, that's a slam dunk. I think that's the perspective of these rumors.

I'm not as down as Simmons as some though. You cannot have Hayes and Simmons on the floor together. I do think people are undervaluing just how effective Simmons can be at the four in today's NBA'. He's an excellent rebounder and in the open court, especially with Cade driving the offense, and he can do serious damage against the less mobile bigs. I mean he has been getting eight rebounds per game while playing the one.

That young man though is a mess right now. I think it's an easy pass, but that said, I wouldn't be shocked, just surprised if Pistons went for it in terms of the right trade.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#35 » by Piston Pete » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:38 pm

I’d consider a Grant/Diallo for Simmons/pick deal
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#36 » by bstein14 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm

I think Simmons is going to be best with 4 shooters around him the same way that Giannis is. Not sure how the Stewart/Simmons duo works at PF/C unless Stewart can really start knocking those jumpers down after a pick and pop. We do already have two Klutch clients in Lyles and CoJo so I'm fairly certain there has likely been a line of communication open even if its unlikely to turn into anything.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the deal was for Kelly O and Grant as they are both win now pieces and Philly has gotten some really good guard play from their young guys. If would end up opening the door for Garza and Lyles both to play bigger roles for us the 2nd half of the season.

My original proposal was Grant/Hayes for Simmons/Maxey because Maxey is also a Klutch client, but I think Maxey has been way too good for Philly to let go of unless they land a big name talent like Dame for Simmons. Maxey might have almost as much trade value as Simmons now.

Maxey so far this season: 17.8 PPG on very efficient 60.9 TS%, 43.4% from 3pt land, 4.4 APG and just 1.3 TO per game gives him a better than 3:1 assist to TO ratio. He is right at the top of the list with best rookies from last season along with LaMelo Ball, Anthony Edwards, and Cole Anthony. He's by far the most efficient scorer of those four PGs and turns the ball over the least.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#37 » by Canadafan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Piston Pete wrote:I’d consider a Grant/Diallo for Simmons/pick deal

Grant + KO with JJ or Diallo. This is gonna happen lol and peeps are gonna be mind blown haha.
I'll love it I think he will dominate as our main facilitator from the 4spot with Cade and secondary guy. Cade can take over in crunch time and when things bog down in half court. Simmons will make life so much easier for Stew Bey and Hayes getting them all easier baskets.
Defensively we would be incredible and fun to watch in transition after steals
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#38 » by mattao313 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:51 pm

I can understand people not wanting him based on the mental aspect and quiting on the team.

But talent wise i dont, a guy that is boarder line elite on defense, can playmake, and can give you 16ppg on 60ts at 6'10 is a really good player. Most good teams have atleast two all-stars Cade isnt and doesn't need to dominate the ball every possession. I don't see how they couldn't play off each other in the pnr fast break.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#39 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:53 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:I’d consider a Grant/Diallo for Simmons/pick deal

Grant + KO with JJ or Diallo. This is gonna happen lol and peeps are gonna be mind blown haha.
I'll love it I think he will dominate as our main facilitator from the 4spot with Cade and secondary guy. Cade can take over in crunch time and when things bog down in half court. Simmons will make life so much easier for Stew Bey and Hayes getting them all easier baskets.
Defensively we would be incredible and fun to watch in transition after steals

It's GOING to happen? I'll take that action.
Tius645
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#40 » by Tius645 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Grant + JJ + Saben Lee and a lottery protected pick: would you do it? With all the respect for Grant, personally I’ll do it in an heartbeat. It was also mentioned in the same article that the Pistons FO doesn’t want to include Bey and/or KO in this potential trade.

Return to Detroit Pistons