Where does Curry rank on offense since 1980?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Curry's rank on offense since 1980?

25%
15%
15%
21%
15%
Not top-5
10%

Total votes: 48

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,343

Re: Where does Curry rank on offense since 1980? 

Post#41 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 pm

70sFan wrote:He also anchored some mediocre Rockets teams to strong offensive results, which Olajuwon could never accomplish. It's because Moses gave you the same strengths Hakeem did, but also took away less from his teammates.

I would disagree with this characterization.

If you're talking about the Rockets of that era being better with regards to their league than Hakeem's work, then what you're talking about are the Rockets of the '70s who had the best ORtg and best eFG in the league before Moses ever arrived.

If you're talking about Moses' last years there where Moses had such big impact, then you're not talking about an offense that was hitting higher rORtg than Hakeem's teams. What Moses showed is that after all skilled offensive players were either gone or past their prime, he could raise your floor tremendously by rebounding all the misses.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good fit prior to that, or that he didn't deserve some credit for being a part of strong offenses, but we should take care not to lump these eras together. At one point you had strong prime scorers like Calvin Murphy and Rudy T worthy of a lot of respect, the other had Elvin Hayes as the main non-Moses scorer. Couldn't have a more stark difference.

Let's also acknowledge that the Rockets in '94-95 won a title by destroying everyone on offense. Yes it wasn't an all year thing - it was a team peaking in the playoffs - but it was drastically more impressive of an offensive performance than, say, the '82-83 76ers which was loaded with non-Moses offensive talent.

Re: Moses gave you the same strengths Hakeem did. :o C'mon 70s, I can understand arguments for Moses over Hakeem, but the idea he was given you everything Hakeem did is just crazy to me. These guys had two quite different bodies.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,082

Post#42 » by Outside » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:He's obviously near the top though I think someone like CP3 might be getting underrated here. Just look at what he did last year with Phoenix at the age of 35 or 36. Phx went from 12th to 5th in ORtg. LAC went from 22nd to 4th the year he joined them. Of course I could list a bunch of other stats as well to support him but I'll leave it at that.

sometimes i honestly feel like chris Paul is underated because he doesnt have enough turnovers

people seem to hold his methodical game and low tov% against him since is the opposite of nash and magic (running a lot, agressive/improvisational with high turnovers)

I think the idea is that because CP3 is more conservative, he misses opportunities for high-value passes that can lead to all-time offense.

He is still an all-time offensive player, whose box-score suggests he might be better than a Nash or Magic offensively; however that snail pace he plays at holds him from being the highest echelon there is seems to be the common sentiment.

At the same time, Paul not committing many turnovers possibly helps his team's defense and should be accounted for in his defensive impact.

Final thing is. If you look at his multi-year PS playoff offenses, he arguably has been better at leading offenses in the PS than say a Steph, so how is he really holding back his team offenses from their full ceiling is a relevant point.

Regarding the highlighted part, I'd argue that in the comparison with Curry, CP3's PS offensive stats are somewhat skewed by not advancing anywhere as far as Curry has. For Paul, 11 of his 23 playoff series were the first round, and he has played only three series past the second round (two of those last season). For Curry, only six of his 22 series were the first round, and he has played 10 series past the second round. By advancing much farther, Curry has faced playoff-tested defenses far more often than Paul has.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,343

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm

70sFan wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:I think the spacing Hakeem had allowed him to use his GOAT big man coordination and footwork to be the primary attack on his team.

I don't think there is a big difference between Moses and Hakeem in terms of isolation scoring. Granted, from my tracking data Hakeem was a bit more efficient in the post and had higher isolation volume, but these differences aren't massive and Moses was capable of doing things Hakeem did. I mean, Hakeem's repertoire is a carbon copy of Moses moves - they looked more refined, but Olajuwon wasn't actually that much different. What's interesting that the Hakeem signature shot - fadeaway from the block - was actually a deadlier weapon in Moses hands:

Hakeem took 6.8 fadeaways from the block per game and made 43.8% of them.
Moses took 3.3 fadeaways from the post per game and made 47.9% of them.

I don't think Moses makes sense as a primary attack in really any era. With Moses, you use other guys to generate the attack, and then rely on him to earn the secondary possession through his rebound, which he'll then use for a quick score.

I think you underestimate Moses self-creation ability. In my tracked sample, Moses took 50% of his shots from the low post and that doesn't include some of his isolations from the high post and perimeter attacks. Hakeem, in comparison, took around 59% of his shots from the low block. The difference is visible, but it's not that big. It has to be remembered that the majority of my sampled games comes from his first Philly season when he was surrounded by other strong scorers. I'd bet that his stats would look even closer if I only include his Rockets games.

Appreciate the details and I'll certainly acknowledge that you've tracked a ton here.

Re: looked more refined but wasn't actually that much different. You suggesting Moses would outsmart opponents with spins and fakes about the same as Hakeem?

Re: fadeaway more deadly...taking 3.3 per game instead of 6.8. You're saying the guy who used this move a lot less contributed more value with the technique? I mean, it's possible if you think Hakeem really wasn't adding value with the approach, but the fact he's doing it a lot less is important.

I think the thing that sticks with me craw here the most is that in a nutshell I see Moses getting his way by being able to bully people with his body, where as Hakeem was a long, quick finesse player. A dichotomy like that oversimplifies to be sure, but the idea that you'd look to build around these guys similarly just seems strange to me - and if I can't build similarly around them, then the idea that you're getting mostly the same thing from both just doesn't work for me.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,471

Post#44 » by 70sFan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I would disagree with this characterization.

If you're talking about the Rockets of that era being better with regards to their league than Hakeem's work, then what you're talking about are the Rockets of the '70s who had the best ORtg and best eFG in the league before Moses ever arrived.

If you're talking about Moses' last years there where Moses had such big impact, then you're not talking about an offense that was hitting higher rORtg than Hakeem's teams. What Moses showed is that after all skilled offensive players were either gone or past their prime, he could raise your floor tremendously by rebounding all the misses.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good fit prior to that, or that he didn't deserve some credit for being a part of strong offenses, but we should take care not to lump these eras together. At one point you had strong prime scorers like Calvin Murphy and Rudy T worthy of a lot of respect, the other had Elvin Hayes as the main non-Moses scorer. Couldn't have a more stark difference.

Hakeem's Rockets offensive apex before the addition of Barkley was +1.7 rORtg in 1996. That's with one of the best spacing in the league and Clyde Drexler on his team (though to be fair he missed a lot of games in that season). Moses Rockets topped that in 1979 and 1980. Sure, they had Murphy and Tomjanovic in both years, but Rudy missed a lot of games in 1980 and just wasn't the same when he played. Murphy wasn't in his prime anymore either.

Even in 1981 and 1982, Rockets offense was solid at +1.4 and +1.5 - around the level 1993-95 Rockets were and Hakeem had clearly better supporting cast in these years.

Of course, I missed 1986 Rockets which put up +2.9 rORtg, but if you want to use young Hakeem team, then I see no reason to exclude something like 1977 Rockets and they blew 1986 team out offensively :wink:

Let's also acknowledge that the Rockets in '94-95 won a title by destroying everyone on offense. Yes it wasn't an all year thing - it was a team peaking in the playoffs - but it was drastically more impressive of an offensive performance than, say, the '82-83 76ers which was loaded with non-Moses offensive talent.

It's true, 1995 playoffs for the Rockets was a massive outlier offensively. Was it "drastically more impressive"?

1983 Sixers: +5.9 rORtg
1995 Rockets: +8.1 rORtg

The gap is big, but you have to keep in mind that the sample of size is very small and Houston never replicated that level of offense. Sample of size isn't massive to say the least.

Re: Moses gave you the same strengths Hakeem did. :o C'mon 70s, I can understand arguments for Moses over Hakeem, but the idea he was given you everything Hakeem did is just crazy to me. These guys had two quite different bodies.

Of course I meant offensively, I will touch that point in the next reply :wink:
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#45 » by DCasey91 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Jordan/LBJ ahead but after that it’s every reasonable to put Curry from 3-5 with Magic/Bird and also Kareem/Shaq/Jokic, then there’s Dirk/Durant right there as well.

Hakeem isn’t even top ten for me and he’s my favorite player all time. Offense is the whole thing, defense on the otherhand well the Dream is a nightmare.

Something like:
Jordan
Lebron
Magic
Curry
Bird
Shaq
Jokic
Dirk
Durant
Kareem/Leonard/Nash/Kobe/Paul/Wade

Pretty solid ten.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#46 » by 70sFan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Appreciate the details and I'll certainly acknowledge that you've tracked a ton here.

Thank you! It's a long, exhausting work :D

Re: looked more refined but wasn't actually that much different. You suggesting Moses would outsmart opponents with spins and fakes about the same as Hakeem?

Kind of - don't get me wrong, they had stylistic differences. If you look at Moses work in the post though, he usually did that. His fakes were more subtle but you can't be such a dominant inside scorer while being 6'10 without long arms if you can't outsmart your opponents. I may try to find some examples tomorrow, I don't have my material cut down yet

Re: fadeaway more deadly...taking 3.3 per game instead of 6.8. You're saying the guy who used this move a lot less contributed more value with the technique? I mean, it's possible if you think Hakeem really wasn't adding value with the approach, but the fact he's doing it a lot less is important.

I know, the volume is always very important. As I said though, most of my games comes from 1982/83 season at Philly and Moses took less shots in that season than Hakeem at his peak. I'd have to add some 1981 games for the shooting data to make it more complete.

I think the thing that sticks with me craw here the most is that in a nutshell I see Moses getting his way by being able to bully people with his body, where as Hakeem was a long, quick finesse player. A dichotomy like that oversimplifies to be sure, but the idea that you'd look to build around these guys similarly just seems strange to me - and if I can't build similarly around them, then the idea that you're getting mostly the same thing from both just doesn't work for me.

I think that you either overstate how much of a bully Moses was, or you underestimate the finesse part of his game. Moses was capable of executing spectacular moves on set defenders, it was his specialty to fake out bigger guys and draw a foul. His face up game is also better than many believes, he had an underrated penetration game from the high post.

One thing is true - Moses was more physical and used his weight more. That's one of the reasons why his off-ball game was more impactful than in Hakeem case, who was happy with occupying low block without the same level of activity.

I really hope to make the massive breakdown video of both in the future (don't expect them to be shorter than 1 hour per player :D ), when I do that maybe you'll understand my take on that topic.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,725

Post#47 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:32 pm

Outside wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
sometimes i honestly feel like chris Paul is underated because he doesnt have enough turnovers

people seem to hold his methodical game and low tov% against him since is the opposite of nash and magic (running a lot, agressive/improvisational with high turnovers)

I think the idea is that because CP3 is more conservative, he misses opportunities for high-value passes that can lead to all-time offense.

He is still an all-time offensive player, whose box-score suggests he might be better than a Nash or Magic offensively; however that snail pace he plays at holds him from being the highest echelon there is seems to be the common sentiment.

At the same time, Paul not committing many turnovers possibly helps his team's defense and should be accounted for in his defensive impact.

Final thing is. If you look at his multi-year PS playoff offenses, he arguably has been better at leading offenses in the PS than say a Steph, so how is he really holding back his team offenses from their full ceiling is a relevant point.

Regarding the highlighted part, I'd argue that in the comparison with Curry, CP3's PS offensive stats are somewhat skewed by not advancing anywhere as far as Curry has. For Paul, 11 of his 23 playoff series were the first round, and he has played only three series past the second round (two of those last season). For Curry, only six of his 22 series were the first round, and he has played 10 series past the second round. By advancing much farther, Curry has faced playoff-tested defenses far more often than Paul has.

That is definitely fair. And perhaps CP3 would wear down in longer PS run. However, I am not saying that Paul has a better peak than Curry, but it is interesting to note that statistically he compares favorably in PS play. And while Curry made deeper playoff runs, Paul actually faced tougher PS defenses from 12-16 than Curry ever did https://diamondhoop5.wordpress.com/2021/07/12/playoff-defenses-faced-update/ Not only did CP3 NOT necessarily get to boost his playoff numbers against bad defenses, but he looks this insane going up and gives the imprint of a guy who is an all-timer who ran up against some tough teams. Paul's team offenses haven been great, posting a playoff offensive relative efficiency of +5.7 from 2013-17 and a 3-year offensive peak of 7.7 (15-17). Curry's warriors from 17-19 (Durant span), peaked at 7.5.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#48 » by falcolombardi » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:54 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Outside wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

That is definitely fair. And perhaps CP3 would wear down in longer PS run. However, I am not saying that Paul has a better peak than Curry, but it is interesting to note that statistically he compares favorably in PS play. And while Curry made deeper playoff runs, Paul actually faced tougher PS defenses from 12-16 than Curry ever did https://diamondhoop5.wordpress.com/2021/07/12/playoff-defenses-faced-update/ Not only did CP3 NOT necessarily get to boost his playoff numbers against bad defenses, but he looks this insane going up and gives the imprint of a guy who is an all-timer who ran up against some tough teams. Paul's team offenses haven been great, posting a playoff offensive relative efficiency of +5.7 from 2013-17 and a 3-year offensive peak of 7.7 (15-17). Curry's warriors from 17-19 (Durant span), peaked at 7.5.

jordan facing an average defense of 0~ in his prime despite all the deep runs is somethingh i really didnt see coming
ty 4191
Starter
And1: 1,948

Post#49 » by ty 4191 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:24 am

Colbinii wrote:
Olajuwon had significantly more spacing around him when he peaked (Mid-90s) and didn't produce the same offenses as Moses was able to produce.

Moses (79-83): 31.9 PTS/100, 7.8 OREB/100, 53.2 FTR, 4.8 OBPM, 860 TS+
Hakeem (91-95): 32.3 PTS/100, 4.1 OREB/100, 33.7 FTR, 3.0 OBPM, 455 TS+

The difference here is obvious and apparent. The only way to truly think Hakeem was a better offensive basketball player compared to Moses Malone is if you stick your head in the ground to ignore the swath of data we have...

Excellent post.

Moses may be the most underrated player since 1980....
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#50 » by No-more-rings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 am

ty 4191 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Olajuwon had significantly more spacing around him when he peaked (Mid-90s) and didn't produce the same offenses as Moses was able to produce.

The difference here is obvious and apparent. The only way to truly think Hakeem was a better offensive basketball player compared to Moses Malone is if you stick your head in the ground to ignore the swath of data we have...

Excellent post.

Not going one way or the other, but picking one of those guys over the other because of their team offenses is completely ridiculous. There’s 14 other guys on the roster along with other factors to consider.
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,925

Post#51 » by dshearn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:42 am

Kinda Surprised no Allen Iverson on any of these list....

I am happy to see Moses Malone make an appearance..... Offensive Rebounds Matter......
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#52 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am

dshearn wrote:Kinda Surprised no Allen Iverson on any of these list....

I am happy to see Moses Malone make an appearance..... Offensive Rebounds Matter......

Put up a lot of points but not that effectively to be a top ten guy etc.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#53 » by 70sFan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:23 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
ty 4191 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Excellent post.

Not going one way or the other, but picking one of those guys over the other because of their team offenses is completely ridiculous. There’s 14 other guys on the roster along with other factors to consider.

That's why Colbinii also mentioned their individual production.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,554

Post#54 » by Colbinii » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
ty 4191 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Excellent post.

Agree. Nobody in here is only using team offense though.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#55 » by No-more-rings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 pm

70sFan wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
ty 4191 wrote:
Excellent post.

That's why Colbinii also mentioned their individual production.

Well that's a bit problematic as well. For one I don't think those were playoff numbers, and i also don't think many of those mean a lot when comparing 2 guys in different eras. Moses probably has the offensive edge on average, but Hakeem's offense was really impressive from 93-95 and certainly those years are at least worthy of comparison to Moses.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#56 » by ShotCreator » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:50 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:He's obviously near the top though I think someone like CP3 might be getting underrated here. Just look at what he did last year with Phoenix at the age of 35 or 36. Phx went from 12th to 5th in ORtg. LAC went from 22nd to 4th the year he joined them. Of course I could list a bunch of other stats as well to support him but I'll leave it at that.

Chris Paul is playing fast right now and it’s indistinguishable from his previous years. He missed out on nothing being selective in running the break.

He was relatively conservative compared to gunners like Nash and Magic, he wasn’t actually conservative in a vacuum at all. He had an era defined by throwing lob passes.

What he wasn’t conservative in was shot selection. Chris Paul took as hard and as high value of shots as almost anyone, and cashed in really well.

The Chris Paul impact breakdown is: Take all the hard shots and make them, and create all the easy shots for teammates.
Swinging for the fences.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#57 » by ShotCreator » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Primes:

Magic
Curry
Nash
Bird
Jordan
LeBron
Shaq
Paul
Harden

After this, it gets cluttered in my mind.

My gut puts Miller there are #10 over Kobe, Wade, Dirk, Stockton, etc.

It’s hard to balance skill set and resiliency.

Curry, Bird, and Nash are probably in the bottom 4 on resiliency in my list, but have the most skill.

Jordan/LeBron/ middle of the pack on skill and way up in resiliency.

Shaq might be least skilled and most resilient.
Swinging for the fences.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#58 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:55 pm

ShotCreator wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

Chris Paul is playing fast right now and it’s indistinguishable from his previous years. He missed out on nothing being selective in running the break.

He was relatively conservative compared to gunners like Nash and Magic, he wasn’t actually conservative in a vacuum at all. He had an era defined by throwing lob passes.

What he wasn’t conservative in was shot selection. Chris Paul took as hard and as high value of shots as anyone, and cashed in really well.

The Chris Paul impact breakdown is: Take all the hard shots and make them, and create all the easy shots for teammates.

Right, when I say conservative, I am referring to the 2 other ball-dominant PGs that are often put ahead of him as offensive centerpieces on this board.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#59 » by No-more-rings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:54 pm

ShotCreator wrote:Primes:

Magic
Curry
Nash
Bird
Jordan
LeBron
Shaq
Paul
Harden

After this, it gets cluttered in my mind.

My gut puts Miller there are #10 over Kobe, Wade, Dirk, Stockton, etc.

It’s hard to balance skill set and resiliency.

Curry, Bird, and Nash are probably in the bottom 4 on resiliency in my list, but have the most skill.

Jordan/LeBron/ middle of the pack on skill and way up in resiliency.

Shaq might be least skilled and most resilient.

What makes Nash less resilient in your mind? Between 2005-10, he had like what one underwhelming series in which they won convincingly anyway?
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#60 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:29 am

Is Curry's gravity outlier enough to catapult him higher than what we are giving him credit for?

Return to Player Comparisons