The team that can't crack a 2-3 zone
67%
The team that's won 3 straight
33%

Total votes: 6

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: GT #15: Bullets @ HEAT (NBCSW/980 AM) 

Post#141 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:50 pm

No need to feed the trolls.

I couldn't watch last night but intend to some time today. Off the numbers, it's easy to see the problem. We shot great -- better than they did, & they shot well too. But, we had 5 fewer shots & took 14 fewer FTAs, & even a .60 TS% can't overcome that.

Kudos to PJ Tucker, who had a hell of a game for guy who's collecting social security! Between him & Jimmy, there was a mountain to high for us to climb. On our side, good to see Kispert get burn & compete well. I might have to eat crow on him! Great offensive outing from Kuzma.

We are 10-5. Just rest & beat Miami in our house. Great season so far!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#142 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm

I watched the first 3 quarters this morning. My takes:

Not a horrible loss. Miami is a good team playing at home. The Wizards were on a back-to-back with 5 good rotation players out of the lineup. The odds were stacked against us going in.

Mostly, I thought the Wizards played pretty well as far a shot selection, sharing the ball, and attacking the right matchups. It was nice to see Beal look like the Beal of last year. And Kispert finally looked like the guy we thought he would be when we drafted him. The biggest issue was finishing around the rim. Lots of guys, including Deni, Harrell and Gill missed a bunch of makeable shots at the rim, which cost us dearly in a low scoring first half. We had a few too many sloppy turnovers as well.

I continue to be encouraged by the play of Avdija. He was aggressive on offense, looking to penetrate off the bounce. And he has definitely improved his handle with his left hand. The shots didn't go in on his forays to the rim, but right now, I'm more worried about process, not results. I really like that Avdija's confidence seems to be growing. When he gets the ball, he wants to do something with it, rather than just get rid of it.

Spoelstra did a nice job of maneuvering our defense into bad switches. It seemed like there were a zillion possessions that ended with Jimmy Butler posting up Neto or Holiday. It also looked like the defense just got tired as the game wore on. We were not closing out hard on 3's and we gave up some fast break points by not getting back on D. We can't ignore the toll it takes when you don't have a rim protector behind you. Any mistake or weak effort results in points. There is no margin for error.

I usually don't complain much about the refs, but I really felt like the calls didn't go our way very often. The same incidental contact that sent Jimmy Butler to the FT line 10 times didn't seem to send Beal or Harrell to the line at all. Lowry also got away with a few of his flops.

All that said, Miami was the better team tonight. It happens.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#143 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:49 pm

I saw a team that could not play the kind of defense they wanted to play. On the plus side, their offense was merely stagnant and predictable instead of atrocious and they managed to make some open threes. But he Heat offense picked the defense apart. Is the zards good three point defense merely a statistical aberration?

But yeah it's not the end of the world - Heat's a good team playing at home, they were playing well, hats off to them. Nice to see the offense come out of its slump, but the D needs to be there to win. Wasn't there tonight.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#144 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I saw a team that could not play the kind of defense they wanted to play. On the plus side, their offense was merely stagnant and predictable instead of atrocious and they managed to make some open threes. But he Heat offense picked the defense apart. Is the zards good three point defense merely a statistical aberration?

But yeah it's not the end of the world - Heat's a good team playing at home, they were playing well, hats off to them. Nice to see the offense come out of its slump, but the D needs to be there to win. Wasn't there tonight.

Right, it was an expected loss, and when Gafford couldn't play, that really hurt us on defense. And they had Tucker and some guy I never heard of flipping up 3's. When that happens, we have to cover the 3 point line, and when you do that - both Bam and Butler kill you inside - and Butler had an easy time of it against smaller players. The only way to beat Miami is to force Butler to shoot from 15 feet out, and that requires packing in a zone. But when their other players are hitting from outside, it's hard to stay in a zone, and we didn't have the shot-blocking presence of Gafford.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#145 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 pm

This game was a reminder that our depth is concentrated in the front court.

Loss was expected though. It was a long shot to beat the Heat on the road with so many guys out. At least some 3s went in. We got 5 made 3s just from Deni/Kispert.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#146 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:12 pm

tontoz wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:Guys i watched the game and it really seemed like you were one Westbrook away from winning that game. Honest opinion here.

You obviously don't watch us very often. We were missing two guys who have been starting this year, another two guys who started last year, and one of our key bench players.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2135373
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#147 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:23 pm

:lol: didn't realize it was the same guy.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#148 » by bsilver » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Neto and Holiday aren't getting it done when facing good defensive teams. Can't get their shots off. May be less of a problem if Dinwiddie stops taking games off.

Ayayi?
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#149 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Neto has now missed 5 consecutive free throws. He is a career 81% free throw shooter. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 4000.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#150 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 pm

bsilver wrote:Neto and Holiday aren't getting it done when facing good defensive teams. Can't get their shots off. May be less of a problem if Dinwiddie stops taking games off.

Ayayi?

Ayayi's not much of a scorer. I said it before - we could really use an offensive-minded 3rd guard - not to mention one with adequate size. Holiday's a 4th guard, and Neto's a 5th.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#151 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Hate to lose, & we were getting used to winning, so a 2d loss in a row is stimulating a little more hand-wringing than needed. As Ruzious pointed out, we were expected to lose this game.

The only problem with our offense was turnovers. We were 23-41 on 2-pt. attempts (.561 -- significantly above our season %), & we shot 41.7% on threes. We could have shot FTs 100% without making a difference.

They had 6 turnovers; we had 17 turnovers. They had 10 steals; we had 4 steals. That's all you need to understand why they won & we lost.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
bsilver
Pro Prospect

Post#152 » by bsilver » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 pm

nate33 wrote:Neto has now missed 5 consecutive free throws. He is a career 81% free throw shooter. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 4000.

Last year 88%. This year 58%.
Last year 3pt perecentage 39%. This year 26%.

Obviously, needs to play better. When everyone is back healthy and we have a surplus in front court, upgrading the G position may be a priority, via trade.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#153 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 pm

bsilver wrote:
nate33 wrote:Neto has now missed 5 consecutive free throws. He is a career 81% free throw shooter. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 4000.

Last year 88%. This year 58%.
Last year 3pt perecentage 39%. This year 26%.

Obviously, needs to play better. When everyone is back healthy and we have a surplus in front court, upgrading the G position may be a priority, via trade.

Well, he was shooting 100% from the FT line through his first 11 games. Then he missed 5 in a row.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#154 » by Benjammin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Except they are not independent variables as he loses confidence...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#155 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:00 am

Benjammin wrote:
Except they are not independent variables as he loses confidence...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app

I think he’s playing hurt. Cranky shoulder is throwing off his shot. He’s missing a ton of shots he normally makes.
In Rizzo we trust
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#156 » by GoneShammGone » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:56 am

Ruzious wrote:
bsilver wrote:Neto and Holiday aren't getting it done when facing good defensive teams. Can't get their shots off. May be less of a problem if Dinwiddie stops taking games off.

Ayayi?

Ayayi's not much of a scorer. I said it before - we could really use an offensive-minded 3rd guard - not to mention one with adequate size. Holiday's a 4th guard, and Neto's a 5th.

John Wall after the buyout?

Just kidding...

Or maybe not? :-o
bsilver
Pro Prospect

Post#157 » by bsilver » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:26 pm

GoneShammGone wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Ayayi?

John Wall after the buyout?

Just kidding...

Or maybe not? :-o

My favorite Wizard. Would love to see him back, but can’t see him agreeing to lose all that money. And he’d have lots of suitors.

Return to Washington Wizards