ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar!!! BOS 130, LAL 108 (8-8)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who smokes it tonight?

Tatum
71%
Dennis
3%
Smart
21%
Horford
1%
Grant
No votes
Richardson
No votes
Romeo
No votes
Kanter
No votes
Other (team)
4%

Total votes: 76

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: Victory Cigar!!! BOS 130, LAL 108 (8-8) 

Post#61 » by Ill News » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:54 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Tatum gets it no question but Horford smart and Schroeder were all great. What makes this more impressive is the Celtics didn't have Williams or Brown.

They look completely overmatched in the first quarter but the last three quarters were some of the best basketball I've seen in a while.

Los Angeles quite frankly looks their age and are going to struggle defensively. I'm not going to count them out but I can't help but wonder what they're going to look like after 70 more games of this.

Completely agree with this, the Lakers looked too big for us in that 1st quarter. AD was just scoring at will at the rim, and LeBron was doing LeBron things. Yet the C's somehow managed to keep it close despite letting the Lakers score 38, then they just turned on the defense for the rest of the game.

We better thank the Lakers defense for being putrid, allowing us to score 30+ every quarter lol
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#62 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:55 am

Tatum only had 2 assists but I thought this was his best game this season from a playmaking standpoint.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#63 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:55 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Don't celebrate to soon, after OKC and Houston the next 10-15 games get brutal..

It is something to celebrate because it's the freaking Lakers with freaking LeBron. The season will continue being a rollercoaster until the players get comfortable with the new system and their new roles. We'll be firing on all cylinders around the All Star break.

Enjoy the process.

certainly hope so..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#64 » by Triple7 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:56 am

playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
I get what you are saying.. and yes he has played well. But coach giving him extreme confidence while Not giving any to others is huge to producing better.

you can't let people gain confidence if there aren't minutes to go around. we all knew some guys were going to get squeezed this season. even if they weren't shooting poorly and could defend, at most they would be looking at 10 minutes here and there and that might be a reach. we have a lot of guys playing well who play the positions nee and pritch play. yes, they have bad games but even when we lose, those guys have been good/solid for us. who are you playing them instead of smart, schroo, romeo, or jrich?

I would LOVE nee and pritch to get minutes, but someone has to suffer. if the young guys were playing well at any point and the guys ahead were as bad as they have been, I'd be mad at ime if he still kept the young guys on the bench. I can't imagine what schroo is doing to pritch in practice. nesmith is lost on offense which we could forgive if he was hitting shots (like we did last season).

But just like last season.. Nesmith early on, played very inconsistently and shot poorly.. when he did get minutes, he shot well. Maybe in this game shooting didn't matter much.. LAL was horrid on defense, especially in the paint.. But when Boston does play tougher teams, the lack of shooting will stand out far more..

Not investing in Nesmith now, may still come back to haunt us down the Road.. especially with other teams trapping the shet out of Tatum..

Look at the schedule in Dec.. If these current players (Smart-Schro-J Rich) play-shoot-win well, then I won't/can't say anything.. But winning BIG in this Era without steady shooting is near impossible IMO..

I agree. We can’t be too happy. We seriously have major flaws offensively. Shooting in particular. JB getting back won’t change much.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#65 » by itrsteve » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:00 am

playa-hater wrote:Don't celebrate to soon, after OKC and Houston the next 10-15 games get brutal..

Honestly, based on what? For the most part this seasons standings have been flipped on their heads in both conferences.

This isn't me being high on the C's right now, but they have a history of showing up against teams which are perceived as "good". For as crappy as this season has been, they've still beat MIL, MIA, LAL and barely lost to DAL. We've beat on them for losing teams which they should be destroying (WAS, CLE) but those teams have all had really hot starts.

With all that being said.... let the games play out. I'm still confident they'll show up against the perceived "good" teams. None the less, still painful that it feels like they can take nights off and bank on coming back... but that's where getting a crappy start may not be the worst thing.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#66 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:09 am

itrsteve wrote:

Honestly, based on what? For the most part this seasons standings have been flipped on their heads in both conferences.

This isn't me being high on the C's right now, but they have a history of showing up against teams which are perceived as "good". For as crappy as this season has been, they've still beat MIL, MIA, LAL and barely lost to DAL. We've beat on them for losing teams which they should be destroying (WAS, CLE) but those teams have all had really hot starts.

With all that being said.... let the games play out. I'm still confident they'll show up against the perceived "good" teams. None the less, still painful that it feels like they can take nights off and bank on coming back... but that's where getting a crappy start may not be the worst thing.

we have been at or near 500% most of this year.. one thing we are not is consistent. All I am saying is playing a good stretch of games against tougher comp will tell us where we really are.. Not because we beat a very bad looking LAL team..
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,099

Post#67 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:09 am

playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
I get what you are saying.. and yes he has played well. But coach giving him extreme confidence while Not giving any to others is huge to producing better.

you can't let people gain confidence if there aren't minutes to go around. we all knew some guys were going to get squeezed this season. even if they weren't shooting poorly and could defend, at most they would be looking at 10 minutes here and there and that might be a reach. we have a lot of guys playing well who play the positions nee and pritch play. yes, they have bad games but even when we lose, those guys have been good/solid for us. who are you playing them instead of smart, schroo, romeo, or jrich?

I would LOVE nee and pritch to get minutes, but someone has to suffer. if the young guys were playing well at any point and the guys ahead were as bad as they have been, I'd be mad at ime if he still kept the young guys on the bench. I can't imagine what schroo is doing to pritch in practice. nesmith is lost on offense which we could forgive if he was hitting shots (like we did last season).

But just like last season.. Nesmith early on, played very inconsistently and shot poorly.. when he did get minutes, he shot well. Maybe in this game shooting didn't matter much.. LAL was horrid on defense, especially in the paint.. But when Boston does play tougher teams, the lack of shooting will stand out far more..

Not investing in Nesmith now, may still come back to haunt us down the Road.. especially with other teams trapping the shet out of Tatum..

Look at the schedule in Dec.. If these current players (Smart-Schro-J Rich) play-shoot-win well, then I won't/can't say anything.. But winning BIG in this Era without steady shooting is near impossible IMO..

my point is we are about 6-3 lately and all those guys have played well through it, who should they be playing over? it's not as simple as letting them play through it when there are barely minutes for romeo and jrich at times and both have been solid, jrich especially. so, you let nesmith and pritch play and play and HOPE they turn it around (while not being the defenders ime wants), then they don't, what do you say to the other guys who have been productive?

even if nee and pritch were hitting the few shots that are available like the guys in front of them have lately (smart is better even without good shooting), how much more could that help over what romeo and jrich are giving, because that's what they are doing (except they also defend)? those are the only guys who you could try and play them over because making a couple of shots a game isn't taking minutes from smart and schroo who do more than that. romeo and jrich are taking 7 shots combined per game, tell me, what more can nesmith and pritch be doing with so few shots? Smart is only taking 9 shots which is a SMALL amount for the minutes he plays. where are their shots coming from to let them get into a rhythm? let me know.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#68 » by djFan71 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:10 am

Smarting point guard.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,069

Post#69 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:10 am

Triple7 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

I agree. We can’t be too happy. We seriously have major flaws offensively. Shooting in particular. JB getting back won’t change much.

They have to play the same level of defense with JB. Their offense should improve by default with him.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#70 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:12 am

Ill News wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Tatum gets it no question but Horford smart and Schroeder were all great. What makes this more impressive is the Celtics didn't have Williams or Brown.

They look completely overmatched in the first quarter but the last three quarters were some of the best basketball I've seen in a while.

Los Angeles quite frankly looks their age and are going to struggle defensively. I'm not going to count them out but I can't help but wonder what they're going to look like after 70 more games of this.

Completely agree with this, the Lakers looked too big for us in that 1st quarter. AD was just scoring at will at the rim, and LeBron was doing LeBron things. Yet the C's somehow managed to keep it close despite letting the Lakers score 38, then they just turned on the defense for the rest of the game.

We better thank the Lakers defense for being putrid, allowing us to score 30+ every quarter lol

"somehow" enters the convo

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#71 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:14 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Tatum only had 2 assists but I thought this was his best game this season from a playmaking standpoint.

I dont remember him settling much if at all. ball was a shot or pass most times!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,148

Post#72 » by Hal14 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:15 am

tatum smokes it, but i also like what smart and schroder brought to the table.

richardson a very solid all around game off the bench too.

horford was solid as well.

those 5 guys all played very well - which is good, because those 5 along with the 2 guys we were missing (rob and jaylen) are our top 7. if we have all 7 healthy and playing well, we're gonna be very tough to beat.

there was some better chemistry/continuity and intensity/focus/urgency in tonight's game than we've seen compared to some of the other games. J-Rich was quoted before the game saying how we need to focus on playing a full 48 minutes. so not letting up, even when we have the lead. and play consistent. we did it - let's build off this one and keep it going..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#73 » by Hal14 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:20 am

playa-hater wrote:
itrsteve wrote:

we have been at or near 500% most of this year.. one thing we are not is consistent. All I am saying is playing a good stretch of games against tougher comp will tell us where we really are.. Not because we beat a very bad looking LAL team..

maybe the lakers were bad looking because we made them look that way.

i (and many others) still consider the lakers to be title contenders. there's only been 1 season where AD and lebron were on the same team and healthy in the playoffs - they beat the sh*t out of everyone in the playoffs that year and won the title, 2020.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#74 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:26 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

They have to play the same level of defense with JB. Their offense should improve by default with him.

the d had already picked up with jb. the offense remains hit or miss because or shotmaking has been bad. guys keep getting to the rim like we have seen lately and the d continues its trend, the league will be crying. we still shot 3's like poo if not for tat's 3s btw. we just dominated inside. everyone and their mother took it inside tonight.

Cs (smart, tat, schroo) lately

Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#75 » by Joshyjess » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:27 am

Has it been a great season so far - No.
Does this make the season so much better than it has been so far - Oh Yeah!!!!!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#76 » by Hal14 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:28 am

This post by me aged well :)

It was right before tip-off..

Hal14 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Celtics lose by 20+ unless the kids come through big time. Let's not have an false bravado.

You never know, man.

Don't count em out before tip-off.

Lakers have lost twice to the thunder.

We beat the heat by 17 on the road when no one thought we had a chance.

That's why they play the games..
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Post#77 » by itrsteve » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:39 am

playa-hater wrote:we have been at or near 500% most of this year.. one thing we are not is consistent. All I am saying is playing a good stretch of games against tougher comp will tell us where we really are.. Not because we beat a very bad looking LAL team..

You've been around this team to know that there are teams which this modern day C's sleep on and get punched in the mouth, and it's not just this season either. Infuriating as it is, it's just who they are and I attribute it to ego mentality over champion mentality. The point I'm making is that so many losses so far this season are by perceived bottom feeding teams who are out performing past expectations (cavs, wiz, bulls, knicks, etc)

With all that being said, I don't believe they'll roll through the next 15 game stretch - but we should pause on what we think is a good team based of previous season performance as it seems like everything is flipped on its head this year.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#78 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:41 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

my point is we are about 6-3 lately and all those guys have played well through it, who should they be playing over? it's not as simple as letting them play through it when there are barely minutes for romeo and jrich at times and both have been solid, jrich especially. so, you let nesmith and pritch play and play and HOPE they turn it around (while not being the defenders ime wants), then they don't, what do you say to the other guys who have been productive?

even if nee and pritch were hitting the few shots that are available like the guys in front of them have lately (smart is better even without good shooting), how much more could that help over what romeo and jrich are giving, because that's what they are doing (except they also defend)? those are the only guys who you could try and play them over because making a couple of shots a game isn't taking minutes from smart and schroo who do more than that. romeo and jrich are taking 7 shots combined per game, tell me, what more can nesmith and pritch be doing with so few shots? Smart is only taking 9 shots which is a SMALL amount for the minutes he plays. where are their shots coming from to let them get into a rhythm? let me know.

But this is just it.. it's not just How many shots they can get.. but in theory, with better shooters, you can get better spacing.. when it all comes down to it, the better teams, will definitely try to crowd and trap Tatum and JB. Especially in crunch time. So what oston will need is perhaps one or two more KEY 3 pointers made, to make teams hesitate when deciding to trap the Js.. If not, we may still see what we have seen too numerous times in the past. Not just this season, but years before. And that is Tatum passes it out (when trapped) shots not made, then he tries to do it all on himself.

There is no way, after a small sample size of just a few games, will I believe this current lineup of scrappy tough defenders, who may not shot well, Is the long term answer.

Let's go back to this conversation when better defenses, do as I predict and attempt to smother Tatum and his teammates DO NOT Hit shots.. That is the time to prove or dis-prove my theory of having a true knock down shooter and the benefits or Not of that.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#79 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:50 am

Cs won't always play against geriatrics who can barely move and have no other resort but to foul or leave the driving lanes open, but I HOPE our guys remember this is how we should play. Trust the pass, trust your teammates to make the next right read. None of that "they're just gonna miss anyway so I'll take it upon myself to score" mindset. Perfect example was Tatum giving up the ball which eventually finds its way back to him for a wide open three. Basketball made easy. Everyone gets to touch the ball. Defense is deflated. Teammates and fans are energized. Momentum is built. As opposed to that stand-around, stagnant, stinking offense we sometimes settle for.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#80 » by Triple7 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:51 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I don’t think we will have a problem with defense once JB comes back. Of course our offense will be better with JB. My problem would be consistency when it comes to our offense moving forward. We still lack that shooting to finish out close games, when the defenses are tighter. Of course with Jb in, one of those 3 would be out, so that’s a plus.

Return to Boston Celtics