Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#861 » by HotelVitale » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:19 am

elchengue20 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
elchengue20 wrote: Sure, maybe in high schooll or college, but in the NBA level he doesnt have any natural gift that makes him special. He doesnt have good size. Also he isnt a natural point guard/playmaker/passer or shooter. There is a reason he dropped in the Draft. The key is hes improving day by day by working hard. Also you can see he isnt afraid, he wants to be great and take the challenge. Hes the opposite of guys like Fultz or Simmoms who have all the talent in the world but serious issues with their personalitys.

You had me until Fultz--Fultz has a terrific attitude and has always worked his tail off all the time. His issues is that his status as a top pick was premised on him being an awesome pull-up shooter--that's what he was in college, 100% legit 3-level scorer--and then he mysteriously lost the ability to shoot from beyond 10 feet. Hence he lost 2 of those 3 levels. Without a reliable shot--let alone the great one he had at UW--he never had the talent to be a top pick. Would have been maybe a mid-2nd rounder, hustle guy with great size for a PG and lots of potential in the pn'r.
And how he forgot how to shoot? Kid has some serious issues between his ears, its not difficult to see.

He also wasn't a good shooter in HS so it's not like his whole game collapsed suddenly. I think it's more true that what we saw in college wasn't the real Fultz, just a weird couple of months where he was drilling shots left and right.

Either way, saying a player has mental issues to account for everything that goes wrong is dumb. You've probably watched enough draft picks over the years to know that developing in the NBA isn't as simple as 'work hard and you will be great'--almost all of these guys work like crazy and literally do almost nothing else with their time, and at least 3/4 of 1st rounders fail to live up to expectations. It takes a certain type of special natural talent to be able to learn new skills and actually apply them in games, we should be giving people props for doing that rather than expecting it (and saying their 'soft' when they don't).
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,468

Post#862 » by elchengue20 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:08 am

HotelVitale wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
You had me until Fultz--Fultz has a terrific attitude and has always worked his tail off all the time. His issues is that his status as a top pick was premised on him being an awesome pull-up shooter--that's what he was in college, 100% legit 3-level scorer--and then he mysteriously lost the ability to shoot from beyond 10 feet. Hence he lost 2 of those 3 levels. Without a reliable shot--let alone the great one he had at UW--he never had the talent to be a top pick. Would have been maybe a mid-2nd rounder, hustle guy with great size for a PG and lots of potential in the pn'r.
And how he forgot how to shoot? Kid has some serious issues between his ears, its not difficult to see.

He also wasn't a good shooter in HS so it's not like his whole game collapsed suddenly. I think it's more true that what we saw in college wasn't the real Fultz, just a weird couple of months where he was drilling shots left and right.

Either way, saying a player has mental issues to account for everything that goes wrong is dumb. You've probably watched enough draft picks over the years to know that developing in the NBA isn't as simple as 'work hard and you will be great'--almost all of these guys work like crazy and literally do almost nothing else with their time, and at least 3/4 of 1st rounders fail to live up to expectations. It takes a certain type of special natural talent to be able to learn new skills and actually apply them in games, we should be giving people props for doing that rather than expecting it (and saying their 'soft' when they don't).

That's why i sayed Maxey not only works hard, he also has the attitude and determination of wanting to be great, take the challenge, face adversity, learn from coaches and teammates, etc. A lot people struggle to face expectations, pressure. And after all, these are kids who are still growing and figuring things out in their lives.

Also, the NBA its a whole different world than playing in HS or College where they are by far the best player on the court and expectations/pressure are way smaller. Some players just cant adjust.

Ben for example hasn't worked hard at all here. Its not true that every player works hard, its coachable, wants to be great at all costs, etc. In the NBA, most than in other sports and leagues, there is some players that get to the pros mainly because they re freaks who won the genetic jackpot.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,013

Post#863 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:31 am

elchengue20 wrote:I rather see he him keeping the efficency and try to up the volume slowly. Hes playing very well right now, its not his job yet to carry the offense consistenly.

There is no point in start to chuck shots just to get to "25 a game", hes probably more usefull to the team playing the way hes playing right now. Trust the process.

Agreed, not looking for anything major but I think over the course of the year he's gonna realize a few more possessions a game are goners and instead of flipping it out to Tobias he will take it to the rim. He's learning a lot week to week it's fun to watch.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#864 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:26 am

The reason why he’s efficient, so does most of our guys (i.e Seth, Tobi, Biid and Milton, is he’s being smartly selective on their shot selection relative to location on the court, how defended is the shot and the time of the game.

Maxey is not being like Kevin Durant, James Harden or Steph Curry where we’re just giving him the ball then he’s just dropping 50-40-90 at will. If you watch our offense, we’re surgical on our offense and attacking the holes on the opponent’s defense. Like in the Nuggets game, we took advantage of Jokic not stepping out on the 2 man game and the Nuggets slow rotations on their defense this lead to our guys getting a lot of open looks.

Best example of this is how Tobi is scoring his pts. He’s being so selective that why he has elite %s (secret sauce is transition baskets and second quarter scoring) Some may call it garbage scoring, but its really relative to the overall context whereas he’s just a reliable scorer down the stretch but he can be if you can surround the right structure of situation for him to be one.

And that’s one of the things I love with how we’re running our offense, it’s very efficient. And one of the reason why I dont think Dejounte Murray will ever be a Sixer, just as what ive been harping on the Ben trade.

Our guys are more like the Pistons or Spurs championship squad where we have guys who can be go to guys down the stretch depending on what the defense gives us.

I love this kind of basketball rather than relying on a guy like Jimmy Butler to make a stepback 3, Dame taking stepback on logo, Beal taking 3s based on his low shooting % or Zach Lavine shooting heavily challenged shots over long defenders.

So in the other thread where they have Maxey and Embiid as our duo, I dont think that’s so. I think its Embiid and a collective group of scorers.

So next game i wont be surprised if Maxey gets 12-14pts, while a guy like Seth drops 20+pts. Its OK, as long as we’re scoring efficiently rather than relying on a guy like Maxey playing like Harden or Donovan Mitchell where he is relied to drop 30-40pts.

And if we really need a hail mary, we just let Embiid take it or…

Spoiler:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#865 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:17 am

Just thought about it.

You know what nickname suits him best?

Fresh Prince.

He’s the real one.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#866 » by VDT » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm

He really need to increase his ft rate. I doubt he can maintain his efficiency otherwise.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,447

Post#867 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:17 pm

^I agree, drawing fouls and getting to the line should be next on the list for Maxey.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,689

Post#868 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:42 pm

He's the only highlight in a dark season so far. But quite a highlight he is. Now just dump that parasite of an agent.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,806

Post#869 » by mjkvol » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:09 pm

"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#870 » by sixers4real » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:49 pm

mjkvol wrote:Well, CBS Sports is certainly sold on him as the PG moving forward.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/76ers-tyrese-maxey-taking-advantage-of-increased-opportunity-in-ben-simmons-absence/

I do too. In a Doc system that we ran this season, I don’t think we don’t need a ball dominant PG, that’s going to average a ton of assists.
We need one more wing that can score and facilitate (Ingram)
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,689

Post#871 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:21 am

Unbelievable that this guy at a super young age becomes pretty much just what we need, but Simmons abandons camp before it can happen. This team is absolutely something different.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,447

Post#872 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:55 pm

I think Doc and Cassell both deserve a little credit with the way this kid has developed. We're basically a lotto team right now without Embiid and yet Maxey is still playing the "right way". Incredibly efficient, playing smart, and I think the most impressive stat is that he really doesn't turn the ball over.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#873 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Last year: 18.8 ppg per 36, 4 3pa per 36, 19.9% assist, 1.3% steal, 1.2% block
This year: 18.5 ppg per 36, 3.4 3pa per 36, 20.4% assist, 1.2% steal, 1.4% block

Assists and blocks trending up. Need to see more strides (especially in 3pa).
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#874 » by sodmoraes » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:19 pm

I may be Maxey biggest homer :lol:, but he just seems like he will be an allstar in the next 1-2 years. Hes just fearless , the moment isnt too big for him and he wants to be better. He has the intangibles qualities to be great. I wouldnt trade him for Dame. Dame is obviously better right now, and I know we have to worry about Embiid's prime and all that, but he has that "it factor". He will be great, you can quote me on that 8-)
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#875 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:20 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Last year: 18.8 ppg per 36, 4 3pa per 36, 19.9% assist, 1.3% steal, 1.2% block
This year: 18.5 ppg per 36, 3.4 3pa per 36, 20.4% assist, 1.2% steal, 1.4% block

Assists and blocks trending up, everything else is either the same or worse. And still majorly deficient in the most important area that will stamp his fit longterm (3pa).

Who cares
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#876 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Last year: 18.8 ppg per 36, 4 3pa per 36, 19.9% assist, 1.3% steal, 1.2% block

Assists and blocks trending up, everything else is either the same or worse. And still majorly deficient in the most important area that will stamp his fit longterm (3pa).

Who cares

I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype too. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#877 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Who cares

I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype to. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.

You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4. Plus he’s doing it as a starter.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#878 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Who cares

I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype to. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.

You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4.

I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#879 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:43 pm

elchengue20 wrote:I rather see he him keeping the efficency and try to up the volume slowly.

In my opinion, his true value to this team and the key to his fit with Embiid longterm lies in his willingness to take three pointers and be a catch and shoot threat from the perimeter.

Efficiency is only valuable within context. For instance, take a look at Seth's true shooting compared to his average shot distance compared to Maxey's and one sticks out as more impressive than the other.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#880 » by Sixerscan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype to. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.

You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4.

I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.

… because he is really good at getting to the rim. You want him to pass up layups?

Is there some sort of basis for why you blindly site seemingly random stats and just have these built in assumptions about what they show? Like is there a correlation study or something? I’m honestly curious how you got to this point.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers