ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 16: Warriors @ Pistons

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,363

Re: Game 16: Warriors @ Pistons 

Post#141 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 am

Dom801e wrote:Don’t know if Cade has star potential but he looks to be a guy you can win with.

I've always liked Cade since I started following him, back in his high school days.

Just a very polished, brainy, solid, productive player.

Easily an All-Star in year 3 at the latest and, barring unexpected injuries and very bad team management around him, on the way to a HOF career.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#142 » by Coxy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:25 am

Who needs Stephen Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson anyway.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#143 » by watch1958 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:26 am

I think winning this game was a bad idea. It was an insult to Steph’s mojoness to win without him.

Now superstars won’t want to come here anymore.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#144 » by shazam_guy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 am

Not unless Steph starts spreading that musk around. Lure 'em in with those ballin' pheromones.

(Man, if people don't know what I'm joking about, they're going to wonder what's wrong with me.)
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#145 » by TwoStarz » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 am

HiRez wrote:This could be a rough game because we just don't have much reliable scoring with Steph and OPJ out, and Draymond and Iguodala out means our playmaking takes a huge hit. I see a lot of brutal isos and chucking but I hope I'm wrong.

Wiggins and Poole are going to have to carry the bulk of the scoring load, I hope they find their 3 shot because it's been dreadful lately. Both of these guys are shooting about 30% from 3 in the month of November and that's not going to cut it. Maybe Lee can get it cooking and Bjelica can chip in, those are seriously the only 2 guys with a decent outside shot right now.

X-factors may be the rookies, Kuminga can be a dynamic force if he stays away from his chucking tendencies and Moody's shot looks completely broken but that can't last forever.

Cade's been slowly improving and this looks like just the game for him to break out.

What a Debby downer
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#146 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:40 am

I throughly enjoyed this game. A bit sloppy at times and gave the Pistons some hope in the 4th. But overall good effort from the non-stars and many stepped up!

The 3rd quarter is still there without Steph, which means the coaching adjustment is there and the group was still able to carry it out without Steph and Draymond. It can’t just all be bad shooting from the Pistons right?

Great building block for this season.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#147 » by BG » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:41 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Dom801e wrote:Don’t know if Cade has star potential but he looks to be a guy you can win with.

I've always liked Cade since I started following him, back in his high school days.

Easily an All-Star in year 3 at the latest and, barring unexpected injuries and very bad team management around him, on the way to a HOF career.

he has sleepy eyes though. as someone on this board pointed out a few years ago, players with sleepy eyes rarely win it all
Warriors!!!
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#148 » by shazam_guy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 am

It's too bad Mythbusters is off the air. They should tackle the Sleepy Eyes Conundrum -- is it fact or fiction?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#149 » by Coxy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 am

BG wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

he has sleepy eyes though. as someone on this board pointed out a few years ago, players with sleepy eyes rarely win it all

That was me. Guys with sleepy eyes suck.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#150 » by BG » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:03 am

Coxy wrote:
BG wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

ah ok, couldn't remember who it was. but so far, your theory is right on point :nod:
Warriors!!!
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,077

Post#151 » by The-Power » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 am

Kind reminder that Poole is just 22 years old, capable of having games like those and known for his work ethic. You'd think Warriors fans by now would know the value of internal development and joint growth, and therefore have some patience.

It's not Poole's fault that some of us expected him to look like an All-Star in Klay's absence. Just let the guy develop and see if he can become more consistent over time, as most talented players do, instead of coming down hard on him for not fulfilling our (unrealistic) expectations.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#152 » by weekend_warrior » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:41 am

The-Power wrote:Kind reminder that Poole is just 22 years old, capable of having games like those and known for his work ethic. You'd think Warriors fans by now would know the value of internal development and joint growth, and therefore have some patience.

It's not Poole's fault that some of us expected him to look like an All-Star in Klay's absence. Just let the guy develop and see if he can become more consistent over time, as most talented players do, instead of coming down hard on him for not fulfilling our (unrealistic) expectations.

That's the correct way to look at it.

With the end of last season and the preseason in mind, I also expected him to play more consistently. He has been forcing the issue too much on the offensive end and his 3P shot is really not working yet this year. Also the ball handling is a bit loose at times.

However, there are some really good points to be optimistic for his further development:

1. His defense is better than I thought it could be at this point. He doesn't look like a weakness in most line-ups at all. He's playing solid man defense and also making a good job with rotations.

2. He manages to get to the rim at a very high rate and convert at an insane rate. He's shooting 78% at the rim so far this season, this is crazy as it blows the career best of Curry out of the water, who is a very good finisher for a guard.

He needs to find a better balance on his shot attempts, especially early in the shot clock, but he has plenty of time to do that. He's on another year of cheap contract before they have to pay him.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#153 » by michaelm » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:57 am

weekend_warrior wrote:
The-Power wrote:Kind reminder that Poole is just 22 years old, capable of having games like those and known for his work ethic. You'd think Warriors fans by now would know the value of internal development and joint growth, and therefore have some patience.

That's the correct way to look at it.

With the end of last season and the preseason in mind, I also expected him to play more consistently. He has been forcing the issue too much on the offensive end and his 3P shot is really not working yet this year. Also the ball handling is a bit loose at times.

However, there are some really good points to be optimistic for his further development:

1. His defense is better than I thought it could be at this point. He doesn't look like a weakness in most line-ups at all. He's playing solid man defense and also making a good job with rotations.

2. He manages to get to the rim at a very high rate and convert at an insane rate. He's shooting 78% at the rim so far this season, this is crazy as it blows the career best of Curry out of the water, who is a very good finisher for a guard.

He needs to find a better balance on his shot attempts, especially early in the shot clock, but he has plenty of time to do that. He's on another year of cheap contract before they have to pay him.

Exactly.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#154 » by watch1958 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:43 pm

I know this win was against a bad team. On the other hand, I remember the no-Curry/no-Draymond game against a lousy Toronto team last season.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,394

Post#155 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:57 pm

To put this game in perspective. This team was able to play its third string for substantial minutes without being punished too much.

This game was valuable for evaluating the players for extended minutes and freedom of play. Learned a lot where the players were allowed to do more.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,363

Post#156 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:10 pm

BG wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

I'm not quite sure what "sleepy eyes" mean (never heard of this expression until now), but if it is what I'm thinking, then it's not true... Dwyane Wade has sleepy eyes and won!
watch1958
General Manager

Post#157 » by watch1958 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:13 pm

BG wrote:
Coxy wrote:
BG wrote:

ah ok, couldn't remember who it was. but so far, your theory is right on point :nod:
That’s the great thing about this board. One member recalling an obscure post from the past, and pulling the thought out of the ether at the right time & place.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#158 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 pm

watch1958 wrote:I think winning this game was a bad idea. It was an insult to Steph’s mojoness to win without him.

Now superstars won’t want to come here anymore.

Is this WarriorsGM's burner account?
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,189

Post#159 » by Outside » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:10 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
BG wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

I'm not quite sure what "sleepy eyes" mean (never heard of this expression until now), but if it is what I'm thinking, then it's not true... Dwyane Wade has sleepy eyes and won!

I don't think of Wade as having sleepy eyes. Two guys that come to mind are Brandon Ingram and Sam Perkins. Some of it is also demeanor, because the "sleepy" guys are often also not outwardly expressive. But that alone isn't enough (Kawhi).
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#160 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:15 pm

shazam_guy wrote:It's too bad Mythbusters is off the air. They should tackle the Sleepy Eyes Conundrum -- is it fact or fiction?

Wasn't that supposedly the knock on Tim Duncan too? I wish I had sleepy eyes if that's what it means.

Return to Golden State Warriors