ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 16: Los Angeles Clippers @ New Orleans Pelicans: Nov 19 5:00 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: Two-Game Skid Means Automatic Win On Sunday, And The Fate Of Their Season 

Post#21 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:55 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Remember that the Clippers are very good at preventing 3-game losing streaks, mainly because they fear it; they've yet to have one this year. They've also avoided ejections as well, but they need to be much more in control as the technical fouls are increasing (We didn't have one in tonight's game). The Mavericks will look to avenge their playoff loss to Clippers on Sunday after having failed to secure the 3-0 lead and automatic series win from last year's playoffs rematch. Mavs also get a time advantage since it's a matinee game, and Clippers have always had a bad experience with morning tip offs.

If Clippers can prevent a 3-game losing streak by defeating Mavericks in a morning game, they will never have a 3-game losing streak again for the rest of this season.

If the Clippers lose to Mavericks, however, pencil them in the bubble, between out of the playoffs and barely making it into the play-in tournament (10th and 11th seeds).

Frankly, I'm surprised they've been this good. I'm not impressed by this roster. Bledsoe and Hartenstein are rejects who have pleasantly overperformed. And I dunno if Luke maintain this level--the league may figure him out like they did Shamet. Or if T-Mann is any more than a 7th-to-9th man.

I hate to say it, but a lot is riding on Senior earning his $15.6M this year. That's way too much cash to be tied up in a noncontributing clock-puncher.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Game 16: Los Angeles Clippers @ New Orleans Pelicans: Nov 19 5:00 PM PCT 

Post#22 » by TheNewEra » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:00 am

That was a brutal loss but the shooting just fell completely apart
ShaqFTs
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#23 » by ShaqFTs » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:41 am

esqtvd wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:Remember that the Clippers are very good at preventing 3-game losing streaks, mainly because they fear it; they've yet to have one this year. They've also avoided ejections as well, but they need to be much more in control as the technical fouls are increasing (We didn't have one in tonight's game). The Mavericks will look to avenge their playoff loss to Clippers on Sunday after having failed to secure the 3-0 lead and automatic series win from last year's playoffs rematch. Mavs also get a time advantage since it's a matinee game, and Clippers have always had a bad experience with morning tip offs.

If Clippers can prevent a 3-game losing streak by defeating Mavericks in a morning game, they will never have a 3-game losing streak again for the rest of this season.

If the Clippers lose to Mavericks, however, pencil them in the bubble, between out of the playoffs and barely making it into the play-in tournament (10th and 11th seeds).

Frankly, I'm surprised they've been this good. I'm not impressed by this roster. Bledsoe and Hartenstein are rejects who have pleasantly overperformed. And I dunno if Luke maintain this level--the league may figure him out like they did Shamet. Or if T-Mann is any more than a 7th-to-9th man.

I hate to say it, but a lot is riding on Senior earning his $15.6M this year. That's way too much cash to be tied up in a noncontributing clock-puncher.

Non contributor? Morris was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league last year.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:59 am

ShaqFTs wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Non contributor? Morris was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league last year.

Percentages mean little. Remember DJ's FG%? So what? It's about production. And MM is a bad rebounder for a 4 or small-ball 5 [4 rpg] and ONE apg is horrible. But I don't want to dog him too much because need his sorry ass bigtime. :wink: But @ $15M/year, he better get it in gear.
ShaqFTs
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#25 » by ShaqFTs » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:11 am

esqtvd wrote:
ShaqFTs wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Percentages mean little. Remember DJ's FG%? So what? It's about production. And MM is a bad rebounder for a 4 or small-ball 5 [4 rpg] and ONE apg is horrible. But I don't want to dog him too much because need his sorry ass bigtime. :wink: But @ $15M/year, he better get it in gear.

I'll take 14 pts on 47% 3pg % anyday! Meanwhile Kennard had 8 pts at $14 million a year with poor defense (last year) so not sure of the difference.

Regardless we need him back! And Ibaka!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#26 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 am

ShaqFTs wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ShaqFTs wrote:

I'll take 14 pts on 47% 3pg % anyday! Meanwhile Kennard had 8 pts at $14 million a year with poor defense (last year) so not sure of the difference.

Regardless we need him back! And Ibaka!

FTR, Kennard's bigass contract only kicked in this year so I gave him a pass last year. I was wary of Kennard's contract too but he's come through so far--mostly because his plus/minus has been #1 on the Clips and in the top 5 in the NBA--meaning that although he's only putting up 10 ppg, his defense has been adequate and his TS% of 61% is quite efficient.

Marcus gets paid about the same. May he do as well. Behind KL and PG, they are our highest-paid players and they better play like it or we're SCREWED.

NB: Marcus was #9 on the Clippers in plus/minus last year. Meh.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612746
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#27 » by NickP » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 am

TheNewEra wrote:That was a brutal loss but the shooting just fell completely apart

Perfectly sums it up!
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#28 » by LamarWho » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:01 am

We just have no depth on offense. PG is the only guy who can consistently get 20+ a night. Hate to say this but MMSr is our only hope for our offense struggle at this point. :roll:

I am looking at the Fakers, they are sucking pretty bad right now. They can't guard anybody, but they got a ton more depth on offense than us. Monk, THT, Nunn, even Melo, all can easily give u double figures in points, all of them can create their own shots.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 am

LamarWho wrote:We just have no depth on offense. PG is the only guy who can consistently get 20+ a night. Hate to say this but MMSr is our only hope for our offense struggle at this point. :roll:

I am looking at the Fakers, they are sucking pretty bad right now. They can't guard anybody, but they got a ton more depth on offense than us. Monk, THT, Nunn, even Melo, all can easily give u double figures in points, all of them can create their own shots.

The Lakers' winning culture starts and ends with Bron, who is a walking "winning culture." The rest of them are losers and also-rans. When Bron's not on the court, there's no team there. And when he retires in a year or three the Lakers are back to the toilet.

AD is a Pelican and always will be, lol.

Meanwhile the Clippers' winning culture rolls on. And our old friend Trezz is atop the East with 17 ppg and career highs in rebounds and assists--and a career low in turnovers. And he's their best plus/minus guy. I was OK with us dumping him for chemistry reasons but the Lakers are one big wtf.

Bron could make something out of nothing [his championship with the Cavs] but this will be interesting. AD and Westbrick have the worst plus/minus on the team, minus-4.6 :rofl2:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#30 » by Clemenza » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:48 am

Terrible second half performance. So let me get this straight, you play PG in both back to back games and lose both now you have a 12:30 game on Sunday against the Mavs to deal with.. smh, sh*t could get ugly.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#31 » by Clemenza » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 am

MartinToVaught wrote:We'd be up 30+ right now with SGA and Gallo.

When all else fails we still revert back to this huh... smh
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 am

Clemenza wrote:
We'd be up 30+ right now with SGA and Gallo.

When all else fails we still revert back to this huh... smh

:(

Gallo is making $20M and averaging 7 points a game. SGA will cost $30-40M a year when his 5-year contract kicks in next year. I love the kid but we're talking probably Tobias Harris as his ceiling. OKC had no choice but to lock up their only quality young player but this is no PG-13 here.

FTR I loved Doc's miracle 2018-19 playoff team but Ballmer was not gonna wait around for a rebuild and it's HIS team--$2 Billion worth and counting... :lol:
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:57 am

Clemenza wrote:Terrible second half performance. So let me get this straight, you play PG in both back to back games and lose both now you have a 12:30 game on Sunday against the Mavs to deal with.. smh, sh*t could get ugly.

I think "load management" is worse for a team. PG is our team leader and if he's gonna strap it up so am I. He went 8-26 tonight but kept firing because nobody else was hitting sh*it either. His legs were so obviously dead as he bricked 4 jumpers in a row. But then he hit the 5th to almost get us back in the game.

I am so respecting PG. That's leadership and that's courage.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#34 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:04 pm

I know valanciunas has improved his shooting, but did he really have to give us his best Steph Curry imitation?

The team was so gassed anyway that they would have lost to the Washington Generals. They looked terrible in the 2nd half

Return to Los Angeles Clippers