Greensboro Swarm: The G-League Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Re: Greensboro Swarm: The G-League Thread 

Post#541 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:38 am

cody is only player on roster who plays defense. id rather bouk take minutes from oubre.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/game/2021900149/

^cody just casually dropping 30 in gleague. gleague scoring stats mean very little. all these nba guys can score 30. bacon scored 51 in a swarm game.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#542 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:33 pm

BurrellFor3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BurrellFor3 wrote:Bouk really balled out tonight, I thought he really picked up the intensity after the first few minutes. He showed a variety of moves on offense, shot the ball excellent from 3 and many were difficult shots and deep, and had good hands and awareness on D. How is this dude not getting minutes on the hornets…

Because oubre, rozier, and Martin and better right now.

I get it, but in terms of pure skill and talent, I think Bouk is hands down a better player than Martin, and probably Oubre. I don’t know Martin’s stats from when he played gleague, but I don’t know if he’s capable of dropping 33 and being clearly that much better than everyone else on the floor like Bouk was tonight. I’m not bashing Martin, just making a point that talent needs to see the floor sooner or later, and I think it will be sooner.

Not sure if you watched the game or are just going from the boxscore?

Bouk had some moments, but overall it wasn’t a great game for him IMO.

Sure he put up 33pts - but you get 2pts for a single FTM, and he hit 5 x FT’s so there’s 10 points.

He made 5 x 3’s (and doesn’t look good taking them) so there’s 15 points.

So 25pts came from FT’s + 3’s meaning he only hit 8 other points (and 2 of those were from picking off a pass and getting an uncontested layup). He was TERRIBLE finishing at the rim even though he dominated the ball (but couldn’t beat anyone off the dribble).

He had more PT than anyone else on the roster.

He also put up twice as many shots as any other Swarm player.

They only had him for 1 turnover, which he don’t understand because I thought he had at least 4.

He did make some nice passes and picked off pass with some great anticipation and he showed some great athletic ability with some rebounds he pulled down, but I’d be pumping the breaks about continually suggesting he needs to start for the Hornets just yet.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#543 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:46 pm

BigSlam wrote:but you get 2pts for a single FTM, and he hit 5 x FT’s so there’s 10 points.

What? The G League gives you two points for each free throw made?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#544 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:58 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
BigSlam wrote:but you get 2pts for a single FTM, and he hit 5 x FT’s so there’s 10 points.

If you hit the 1st FT you get 2pts for it and you don’t get a second one.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#545 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 pm

BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

If you hit the 1st FT you get 2pts for it and you don’t get a second one.

Wow, had no idea they did that.

I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I hate FTs and usually skip them when I watch games on DVR. On the other hand... That just feels sacrilegious.
BurrellFor3
Freshman
And1: 34

Post#546 » by BurrellFor3 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:38 pm

BigSlam wrote:
BurrellFor3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I get it, but in terms of pure skill and talent, I think Bouk is hands down a better player than Martin, and probably Oubre. I don’t know Martin’s stats from when he played gleague, but I don’t know if he’s capable of dropping 33 and being clearly that much better than everyone else on the floor like Bouk was tonight. I’m not bashing Martin, just making a point that talent needs to see the floor sooner or later, and I think it will be sooner.

Sure he put up 33pts - but you get 2pts for a single FTM, and he hit 5 x FT’s so there’s 10 points.

So 25pts came from FT’s + 3’s meaning he only hit 8 other points (and 2 of those were from picking off a pass and getting an uncontested layup). He was TERRIBLE finishing at the rim even though he dominated the ball (but couldn’t beat anyone off the dribble).

They only had him for 1 turnover, which he don’t understand because I thought he had at least 4.

He did make some nice passes and picked off pass with some great anticipation and he showed some great athletic ability with some rebounds he pulled down, but I’d be pumping the breaks about continually suggesting he needs to start for the Hornets just yet.

Who are you, James Borrego or one of his assistants? Lol.

I did watch the entire game, yes. He missed 2 contested layups where he jumped from too far away from the rim, and then missed one driving to the hoop he definitely should have made. I’m not sure what you mean by he didn’t look good taking 3’s? I thought he showed great improvement from 3, especially with how deep some of these were.

This was his first competitive game since summer league, so no one should be expecting a perfect game, of course there will be rust. But for him to play as well as he did, and fill up a box score after his last competetive game being summer league, that shows a lot imo.

And lastly, when did I ever say he needs to be starting for the hornets? I’m over here petitioning for the dude to crack the rotation and get 5-15 minutes a game, nothing unreasonable.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#547 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:00 pm

BurrellFor3 wrote:And lastly, when did I ever say he needs to be starting for the hornets? I’m over here petitioning for the dude to crack the rotation and get 5-15 minutes a game, nothing unreasonable.

Not you specifically - but some posters over the last few weeks have said they think that TRo should come off the bench and Bouk should be starting (especially during the West Coast slump).

You have said:
In the Charlotte: 2021/22 Projected Rotations thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:... think it’s pretty clear he will be the first SG off the bench. Once he develops, I believe he will eventually be the starter, though that may not happen this year, but definitely next season.

In the GT: Game #1 - Charlotte Vs Indiana (Oct 20th) thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:Whose going to be first off the bench since Oubre started?

(suggesting Bouk should).

In the GT: Charlotte @ Miami - 7:30pm Friday, Oct 29th thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:If there was ever a time to throw Bouk into the mix to see what he can give you and get him some experience, the time is NOW!

I the GT: Charlotte @ LA Lakers - Nov 8th 10:30pm thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:Time to unleash Bouk imo, we need a talent infusion. It’s not like we are going to get worse on Defense than we already are. Let the kid play through some mistakes and get him in there for 10-15 minutes a game.

I love Martin, but his upside is limited, he’s just “solid”.

Oubre is great or terrible and he hurts us a lot.

Mcdaniels has a ton of upside and he’s been getting minutes.

Ish is either hurt or has lost his spot?

Either way, can’t hurt to try!

So considering you joined the board on Aug 10th of this year, less than two weeks after we drafted Bouk, your screen name is that of an old UConn player and of the 18 posts you have submitted to the board every single one has been about Bouk - your motivation is pretty clear!!

His 3pt shot was not good last night. No two shots had the same (or even close to similar) arc on them. Some were straight line drives at the rim, some were floaty and high. His feet were all over the place and he was rarely balanced when he took them.
B B M F 'ers
BurrellFor3
Freshman
And1: 34

Post#548 » by BurrellFor3 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:26 pm

BigSlam wrote:
BurrellFor3 wrote:And lastly, when did I ever say he needs to be starting for the hornets? I’m over here petitioning for the dude to crack the rotation and get 5-15 minutes a game, nothing unreasonable.

Not you specifically - but some posters over the last few weeks have said they think that TRo should come off the bench and Bouk should be starting (especially during the West Coast slump).

You have said:
In the Charlotte: 2021/22 Projected Rotations thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:... think it’s pretty clear he will be the first SG off the bench. Once he develops, I believe he will eventually be the starter, though that may not happen this year, but definitely next season.

In the GT: Game #1 - Charlotte Vs Indiana (Oct 20th) thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:Whose going to be first off the bench since Oubre started?

(suggesting Bouk should).

In the GT: Charlotte @ Miami - 7:30pm Friday, Oct 29th thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:If there was ever a time to throw Bouk into the mix to see what he can give you and get him some experience, the time is NOW!

I the GT: Charlotte @ LA Lakers - Nov 8th 10:30pm thread:
BurrellFor3 wrote:Time to unleash Bouk imo, we need a talent infusion. It’s not like we are going to get worse on Defense than we already are. Let the kid play through some mistakes and get him in there for 10-15 minutes a game.

I love Martin, but his upside is limited, he’s just “solid”.

Oubre is great or terrible and he hurts us a lot.

Mcdaniels has a ton of upside and he’s been getting minutes.

Ish is either hurt or has lost his spot?

Either way, can’t hurt to try!

So considering you joined the board on Aug 10th of this year, less than two weeks after we drafted Bouk, your screen name is that of an old UConn player and of the 18 posts you have submitted to the board every single one has been about Bouk - your motivation is pretty clear!!

His 3pt shot was not good last night. No two shots had the same (or even close to similar) arc on them. Some were straight line drives at the rim, some were floaty and high. His feet were all over the place and he was rarely balanced when he took them.

Alright, you got me, I’m a huge fan clearly! But I don’t think anything I’m saying is homerish. The kid is talented and deserves some time. It would be one thing if Charlotte was a top 3 east team and we were contending for eastern conference finals, but we are currently a 500 team. Martin and Oubre are role players at best (Oubre shows flashes of being great but more often than not isn’t, and this is his track record for his career so far). All I’m saying is Borrego and staff should take a hard look at where this team is going and what’s going to give them the best chance to win come playoff time.

And you basically confirmed what I’m saying above, where I suggested he could be a starter next year, not this year. I’m not saying he will make us the top team in the east, just that he’s talented and can make our team better/more dynamic, and if we get him minutes to gain experience now, it will be beneficial for the team.

Good observations on his 3ball, but look at how guys like steph curry shoot. They’re constantly in motion on their shots, and as long as your shoulders are square to the basket at the time of release, that’s what matters. That’s what I saw on his shots. And a huge improvement from where his shot was. Even Borrego has said that he has the potential to be a very good catch and shoot 3 point shooter.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#549 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:50 pm

I could maybe somewhat see an argument for Bouk over Oubre because of his inconsistency. That being said when Oubre is on it helps us tremendously. Also although Oubre doesn't have the best basketball IQ his length and athleticism on the defensive end is a problem for.opposing teams. Absolutely nothing wrong with Bouk, and especially Kai spending the year in the G league. Their time will come
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#550 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:37 pm

BigSlam wrote:
BurrellFor3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

you lost me here. this looks like a lot of narrative building.

"he got 10pts off free throws. not impressive"

easy counter argument: he was agressive, attacked, and got to the line a lot

"he made 5 threes but didn't look good doing it"

easy counter argument: he sunk 5 threes in his first meaningful minutes in a month

"he had more PT and put up more shots than anyone else"

easy counter argument: duh? he should? he's our most important draft pick. him and Kai (and Thor) should get free reign to experiment while down there. that's the whole point.

i don't see how or why you could turn his game into a negative. you're acting like uncle fats right now. we don't need that
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#551 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 pm

dont bring uncle fats in to it. i just pointed out that scoring points in gleague isnt a sign of anything, hence cody martin scoring 30 or bacon with 50. im glad he didnt score 5. i'll argue anyone who suggests bouk should be in our rotation over cody because he -scored 30 in gleague or was a lotto pick.

let him earn minutes with defense, 3pt shooting, hustle and ball movement. thats what we need.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#552 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 pm

fatlever wrote:dont bring uncle fats in to it. i just pointed out that scoring points in gleague isnt a sign of anything, hence cody martin scoring 30 or bacon with 50. im glad he didnt score 5. i'll argue anyone who suggests bouk should be in our rotation over cody because he -scored 30 in gleague or was a lotto pick.

let him earn minutes with defense, 3pt shooting, hustle and ball movement. thats what we need.

I don't disagree.

The issue would be if he COULDN'T get buckets for Gboro
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#553 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 am

Kai fouled out in 17 minutes tonight. Got a long way to go with him, but I think Borrego and his staff is going to mold him into something great in 2 or 3 years.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#554 » by Diop » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:24 am

It’s sort of depressing how much the Swarm suck.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#555 » by Radu_Hornets » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:00 am

Even though Bouk scored a lot, he missed the two clutch action to either tie or win the game.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#556 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Kai fouled out in 17 minutes tonight. Got a long way to go with him, but I think Borrego and his staff is going to mold him into something great in 2 or 3 years.

A lot of the fouls were really incidental contact type fouls and questionable. No doubt picking them up threw his game off though, because they came in little bunches so he was getting pulled and couldn’t find his groove.

He’s taking these mid range spinning fade away jumpers. Not sure how I feel about them. Seem very low percentage.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#557 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:Even though Bouk scored a lot, he missed the two clutch action to either tie or win the game.

He wasn’t great (again).

Still has a very hard time beating players off the dribble and because of that tends to be a bit of a black hole and just ends up isolating and trying to probe (which he has a hard time doing) as the clock ticks down and everyone is just left to stand still and watch him.

His handle isn’t anywhere near good enough.

He’s also awful leading a fast break often waiting to make a pass way too late when the guys on the wings are too deep in the paint.

He does show really nice moments of explosion and uses his length to finish (had a sick baseline dunk last night) but those moments are too few and far between - like only when he can be bothered.

I also think he’s a terrible, terrible fit between LaMelo and Miles.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#558 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Radu_Hornets wrote:Even though Bouk scored a lot, he missed the two clutch action to either tie or win the game.

He wasn’t great (again).

Still has a very hard time beating players off the dribble and because of that tends to be a bit of a black hole and just ends up isolating and trying to probe (which he has a hard time doing) as the clock ticks down and everyone is just left to stand still and watch him.

He’s also awful leading a fast break often waiting to make a pass way too late when the guys on the wings are too deep in the paint.

He does show really nice moments of explosion and uses his length to finish (had a sick baseline dunk last night) but those moments are too few and far between - like only when he can be bothered.

He reminds me of Jetemy Lamb his rookie year.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#559 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

He wasn’t great (again).

I was thinking that last night as well.

He’s like a shorter version of Lamb.
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#560 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:35 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:He wasn’t great (again).

I was thinking that last night as well.

He’s like a shorter version of Lamb.

I do think hes slightly more fluid was than Lamb, but I think that's a fair comp right now for him.

Becoming a slightly better Lamb is a solid ass player as well.

Return to Charlotte Hornets