ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Re: Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0 

Post#1001 » by Duradero » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 am

I always thought Matt Goukas had good commentary
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1002 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:13 am

I liked Dennis Neumann.

I remember Chip Caray. He always used to say on free throws that if the first one touched a little rim, he'd count it as a miss and the second was a guaranteed make. He then went on to do the Braves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#1003 » by Anti Chalmers » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm

drsd wrote:What I love about Steel is that, whereas he is always the smartest and most knowledgeable person in the room, he never thrusts that out in his personality nor his broadcasts. His knowledge is always explored in a humble way.

AND: I love Turner as his color-man, given that Turner "says things" that generate some super-knowledgeable insight from Steel. Turner is a perfect set-up color-man in that regard.

Yes Steel for the Vest here, and Turner for a strong Cummerbund.

It's Marchitelli for the mittens, for me. Hill just annoys the heck out of me.

I love Steel, one of the best in the business in my opinion. I’m not sure how everyone on here feels about Turner, but his voice puts me to sleep. Maybe one day, if Darrell Armstrong retires as an assistant coach, he can comeback to be our commentator.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#1004 » by MasterGMer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Steel is awesome. His personality with JT really works on the game stage. I love them.
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#1005 » by JTG_92940618 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:49 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this but here WCJ on Fultz and Isaac.

You have to fast forward to 26:50

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#1006 » by Xatticus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:13 am

Anti Chalmers wrote:
drsd wrote:What I love about Steel is that, whereas he is always the smartest and most knowledgeable person in the room, he never thrusts that out in his personality nor his broadcasts. His knowledge is always explored in a humble way.

AND: I love Turner as his color-man, given that Turner "says things" that generate some super-knowledgeable insight from Steel. Turner is a perfect set-up color-man in that regard.

I love Steel, one of the best in the business in my opinion. I’m not sure how everyone on here feels about Turner, but his voice puts me to sleep. Maybe one day, if Darrell Armstrong retires as an assistant coach, he can comeback to be our commentator.

To me, this is the worst broadcast team we have ever had. Steele is likable, but if you weren't watching the game, you wouldn't have a great idea of what was going on. I suspect that few around here have been following Orlando long enough to remember Chip Caray, but he was a much better play-by-play guy.

I want my color guy to teach the game and to provide entertaining anecdotes. I grew up listening to Dr. Jack. If you listened to him, you learned the game. There aren't many guys like him around anymore. I like Scalabrine a lot. He is very entertaining. Jeff Turner is just there. He is completely useless for me.

As an aside, Jeff Turner has benefited more from the Orlando Magic franchise than any human on earth, I think. He was already out of the NBA by the time Orlando got their franchise and signed him. He spent seven years in Orlando despite being one of the worst players in the history of the NBA. He never had NBA talent. What did he do well? Did he score the ball well? No. Did he defend? No. Did he rebound? No. Did he take care of the ball? No. He was six fouls a night that he managed to use up in the span of 10 to 15 minutes.

There was a sitcom with Craig T. Nelson years ago called "Coach". He played a college coach that eventually took over a professional team. In one episode near the end of the show's run, he had to make a difficult decision to cut a player on the team that everyone loved, even though the guy was a terrible player. The guy and his wife ingratiated themselves to everyone to keep his place on the football team. I'm convinced that this is Jeff Turner. Maybe he joined Amway at some point. I don't know. I can't understand why this franchise has kept this guy on their payroll all of these years.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1007 » by The Effect » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 am

Xatticus wrote:
Anti Chalmers wrote:

To me, this is the worst broadcast team we have ever had. Steele is likable, but if you weren't watching the game, you wouldn't have a great idea of what was going on. I suspect that few around here have been following Orlando long enough to remember Chip Caray, but he was a much better play-by-play guy.

I want my color guy to teach the game and to provide entertaining anecdotes. I grew up listening to Dr. Jack. If you listened to him, you learned the game. There aren't many guys like him around anymore. I like Scalabrine a lot. He is very entertaining. Jeff Turner is just there. He is completely useless for me.

As an aside, Jeff Turner has benefited more from the Orlando Magic franchise than any human on earth, I think. He was already out of the NBA by the time Orlando got their franchise and signed him. He spent seven years in Orlando despite being one of the worst players in the history of the NBA. He never had NBA talent. What did he do well? Did he score the ball well? No. Did he defend? No. Did he rebound? No. Did he take care of the ball? No. He was six fouls a night that he managed to use up in the span of 10 to 15 minutes.

There was a sitcom with Craig T. Nelson years ago called "Coach". He played a college coach that eventually took over a professional team. In one episode near the end of the show's run, he had to make a difficult decision to cut a player on the team that everyone loved, even though the guy was a terrible player. The guy and his wife ingratiated themselves to everyone to keep his place on the football team. I'm convinced that this is Jeff Turner. Maybe he joined Amway at some point. I don't know. I can't understand why this franchise has kept this guy on their payroll all of these years.

I dont know, i have to watch most games on nba league pass (live in san diego) and alot of times the Magic feed doesnt work and i have to listen to the other teams announcer and.........There are times i dont even know if the announcers are watching the game let alone calling it. Not saying Orlandos are the best, but ive def heard alot worse

PS +1 for the Coach reference. If i remember correctly he takes over a pro expansion team in Orlando right, i want to say the orlando breakers?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#1008 » by Xatticus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:54 am

The Effect wrote:PS +1 for the Coach reference. If i remember correctly he takes over a pro expansion team in Orlando right, i want to say the orlando breakers?

Yeah. I'd forgotten that somehow.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1009 » by basketballRob » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:04 am

Xatticus wrote:
Anti Chalmers wrote:

Caray could've been the best in the NBA if he stayed. The Braves were probably the top job at that time because of the national tv audience that TBS brought. It was also similar to the job his grandfather Harry Caray had with the Cubs and WGN.

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#1010 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:32 am

ok time for some OT... I read in the GB about surprising facts about the NBA..

Did we really play in the western conference in the 91 season? Are we a western team?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#1011 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:00 am

RookieStar wrote:ok time for some OT... I read in the GB about surprising facts about the NBA..

Did we really play in the western conference in the 91 season? Are we a western team?
Like in our second year The 90-91 season. I remember being confused by this at the time.I guess it sort of made sense being close to Texas.(But so was Miami??) Then both Miami and orlando were placed in the EC.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1012 » by drsd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:52 am

Harris sub-Bacon play has made him essentially untradeable. That is sad as Orlando really needs to free up guard minutes moving forward.

My question: after Carter-Williams and Moore return, should the Magic simply release Harris outright?
The outcome would be to add 5 minutes per game to Hampton. At this point, for me, Hampton needs more court time than the Magic need Harris' "veteran presence". That is gained from Carter-Williams and Moore anyhow.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1013 » by basketballRob » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm

drsd wrote:Harris sub-Bacon play has made him essentially untradeable. That is sad as Orlando really needs to free up guard minutes moving forward.

My question: after Carter-Williams and Moore return, should the Magic simply release Harris outright?
The outcome would be to add 5 minutes per game to Hampton. At this point, for me, Hampton needs more court time than the Magic need Harris' "veteran presence". That is gained from Carter-Williams and Moore anyhow.

I think they hang on to him until after the trade deadline. Not sure why they need to play him tho.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#1014 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:Harris sub-Bacon play has made him essentially untradeable. That is sad as Orlando really needs to free up guard minutes moving forward.

I think they hang on to him until after the trade deadline. Not sure why they need to play him tho.

Agree. He was an "expiring" since the day they traded for him, any on-court value would have been a bonus. He's here to be included in a bigger deal, if one presents, since we have no other large contracts to balance deals. If no deal presents, he simply expires...no reason at all to buy him out...but also, IMO, I don't see any reason to play him so much or even at all any more.

He's part of a substantial asset chest created by WeHam in the last couple of years...large expiring, young (maybe redundant) talent, extra picks...all of the ingredients needed to bake a trade.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1015 » by basketballRob » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:38 pm

Garry Harris is a game-time decision Monday.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1016 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:38 pm

I still believe the only reason GH has been playing so much is because our FO thinks they can rehab/build up his trade value like what we did for Vuc and AG. When they came in to the team, no one thought Vuc could command that kind of value in a trade right? I think they are trying to do the same for GH where we could probably get a 1st or something....

Too bad this time around it looks like it's doing the opposite of building up the trade value..
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1017 » by drsd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 pm

basketballRob wrote:Garry Harris is a game-time decision Monday.

If Anthony is not back, perhaps Hampton starts.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1018 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm

RookieStar wrote:ok time for some OT... I read in the GB about surprising facts about the NBA..

Appears so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990%E2%80%9391_Orlando_Magic_season

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1019 » by RookieStar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:43 am

Well..im glad that we are in the EC. lol
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,180

Post#1020 » by Statlanta » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:49 am

I’m not a fan of Turner. Absolutely spoiled by Matt Guokas playbyplay. I’m just wondering who will replace Steele when he hangs it up.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns

Return to Orlando Magic