ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic upgrades at C?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Re: Realistic upgrades at C? 

Post#201 » by God Squad » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:15 pm

What about Daniel Gafford from the Wizards? Although I'm not sure how realistic he could be, but he's low usage and would provide a lot of what we'd need. Zach Collins would be a cool reclamation project should we choose to go that route.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#202 » by h4rrison » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:30 pm

Tristan Thompson in a deal that includes Haliburton?

Fox/Haliburton backcourt isn’t working and rumor has it they’re trying to trade 1
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,329

Post#203 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 pm

If you can get an Ayton or a Towns, that's the type of C you target. Not depth guys who don't move the needle and who have no future with the team.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer

Post#204 » by h4rrison » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:19 am

OakleyDokely wrote:If you can get an Ayton or a Towns, that's the type of C you target. Not depth guys who don't move the needle and who have no future with the team.

Siakam, Flynn, and pick for Towns.

Don’t think we can get Ayton. His max is around Siakam’s salary so if they’re going to pay someone it’ll probably be their #1 pick.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#205 » by Rapsalot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 am

The last two offseason we just have not put any effort into a C. C Wood to Houston $13 mil. Kelly O likely could have had him for $10 mil vs crappy Pistons.

People seem to be good with small ball most of the time. So Khem to start and PA off bench and I would try to pick up Damian Jones from SacTown. He is only 26. 6’11” 245. with 7’4” wingspan and played on GSW when they won so has some playoff experience but as deep bench. Years when teams have used him 15-19 mpg vs bigger Cs he give 6 points, 4 reb, 1 block and 1,5 assists. He is not a 3 point shooter but can defend a big for bulk mins. I would still play Khem to start and finish but vs bigger teams he could give us good Mins. We could trade Bonga and a second round pick to get him or maybe do a second round pick swap where we would give a better 2nd and we get worse pick?
TheShocker
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#206 » by TheShocker » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:22 am

Tristan Thomspon sounding off the other day, maybe he’s available for cheap. He’d provide the decent quality depth we’re looking for. Expires end of season as well.
Jtoneller1
Junior
And1: 183

Post#207 » by Jtoneller1 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:02 pm

How about Siakam for Myles Turner, T.J Warren, Lottery Protected FRP?

Sent from my SM-A705W using RealGM mobile app
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,391

Post#208 » by And1+2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:21 pm

We are not competing this year even if we get a decent starting C.

It might be our most obvious hole in the roster, but it's not the biggest. Also, most of the suggestions here are hilariously bad and don't move the needle for us.

Patience. We are a few years out, so let's not place a bandaid on a gushing wound.
terryjackson
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#209 » by terryjackson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:06 pm

Jtoneller1 wrote:How about Siakam for Myles Turner, T.J Warren, Lottery Protected FRP?

Siakam is still valued better than that. The Pacers have been bad this season I wouldn't want any pieces from them. If you also think about it what the Raptors want from this unicorn C is tough.

You want a C that can rebound, and battle the opposing C in the paint, protect the paint, be able to switch with lateral quickness, and also be able to stretch the floor, while post up on mismatches.

Realistically how many players in the NBA fit that profile?

The Raptors are seemingly hoping that Siakam can fill that role while Barnes shifts in the forward position. It's going to take some adjusting for Siakam but he can likely make it work. He is equipped with a 9 foot standing reach and weighs approximately 240lbs.

The central issue is the lack of spacing. This gives OG, Siakam, and Barnes no room in the half court offense. Especially when they are on the floor with the Banton, Boucher, and Birch combo. They simply become out gunned and let close games become near blowouts.

The solution is to send Achiuwa and Banton to the GLeague. They can easily be filled into the rotation with players that can somewhat shoot in Flynn and Watanabe.

Start either Svi or Yuta, so there is additional spacing and off-ball play, strengthens the bench by sending Barnes there, play Birch off the bench with Barnes and keep Siakam at center.

Siakam - Birch - Boucher
Watanabe - Barnes - Boucher
Anunoby - Svi
Trent - Flynn
VanVleet - Dragic

You can make offensive players work hard and be good on defense, but you can't make defensive players work hard and suddenly be able to shoot. The starting line up will likely set the defensive tone with the referees and then the bench can come in and keep up the intensity while providing some pinch scoring.

Starting Yuta would be from left field however he was declared by Nurse to be the best cutter on the team and he can shoot the 3 at a 40% level. He compliments our post isos with OG and Siakam well to prevent doubles and reduce space.

On another note, Boucher is bad throwing him in the doghouse probably improves point differential quite a bit and grabs a few extra wins.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#210 » by PoundTown » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:16 pm

h4rrison wrote:Tristan Thompson in a deal that includes Haliburton?

Fox/Haliburton backcourt isn’t working and rumor has it they’re trying to trade 1

Flynn, siakam for Halliburton, tristan and filler type of deal I’d be into. The deal is more for Halliburton than tristan. Tristan adds depth but not really much of an upgrade over birch. Anyways, I think that deal would make us better now and in future.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,292

Post#211 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:43 pm

PoundTown wrote:

Flynn, siakam for Halliburton, tristan and filler type of deal I’d be into. The deal is more for Halliburton than tristan. Tristan adds depth but not really much of an upgrade over birch. Anyways, I think that deal would make us better now and in future.

Upgrade over Birch or not, Tristan would be a big short term improvement to our roster.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#212 » by PoundTown » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:43 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
PoundTown wrote:

Upgrade over Birch or not, Tristan would be a big short term improvement to our roster.

Halliburton off the bench with Yuta, Banton and whomever ends up being the backup center is a nice bench as well.

The current group must be feeling the pressure to squeek into the playoffs and they are the Kings, so you know, could actually happen, because nothing the Kings do make sense even if they aren't desperate. Remember that Greek center pick at 13 that I can't even remember having one good game - I knew that was the worst pick of that draft the minute it was made. Had Hoffa type flashbacks lol.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#213 » by Indeed » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:03 pm

terryjackson wrote:
Jtoneller1 wrote:How about Siakam for Myles Turner, T.J Warren, Lottery Protected FRP?

Siakam is still valued better than that. The Pacers have been bad this season I wouldn't want any pieces from them. If you also think about it what the Raptors want from this unicorn C is tough.

You want a C that can rebound, and battle the opposing C in the paint, protect the paint, be able to switch with lateral quickness, and also be able to stretch the floor, while post up on mismatches.

Realistically how many players in the NBA fit that profile?

The Raptors are seemingly hoping that Siakam can fill that role while Barnes shifts in the forward position. It's going to take some adjusting for Siakam but he can likely make it work. He is equipped with a 9 foot standing reach and weighs approximately 240lbs.

The central issue is the lack of spacing. This gives OG, Siakam, and Barnes no room in the half court offense. Especially when they are on the floor with the Banton, Boucher, and Birch combo. They simply become out gunned and let close games become near blowouts.

The solution is to send Achiuwa and Banton to the GLeague. They can easily be filled into the rotation with players that can somewhat shoot in Flynn and Watanabe.

Start either Svi or Yuta, so there is additional spacing and off-ball play, strengthens the bench by sending Barnes there, play Birch off the bench with Barnes and keep Siakam at center.

Siakam - Birch - Boucher
Watanabe - Barnes - Boucher
Anunoby - Svi
Trent - Flynn
VanVleet - Dragic

You can make offensive players work hard and be good on defense, but you can't make defensive players work hard and suddenly be able to shoot. The starting line up will likely set the defensive tone with the referees and then the bench can come in and keep up the intensity while providing some pinch scoring.

Starting Yuta would be from left field however he was declared by Nurse to be the best cutter on the team and he can shoot the 3 at a 40% level. He compliments our post isos with OG and Siakam well to prevent doubles and reduce space.

On another note, Boucher is bad throwing him in the doghouse probably improves point differential quite a bit and grabs a few extra wins.

You can't make someone a better rebounder. Siakam is not a good rebounder at C, which is the reason some argue he is best at PF.

Barnes is not a PF, he doesn't have the handle and shooting to play other positions right now, but he is not a PF in the future.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer

Post#214 » by h4rrison » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm

PoundTown wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
PoundTown wrote:

Halliburton off the bench with Yuta, Banton and whomever ends up being the backup center is a nice bench as well.

The current group must be feeling the pressure to squeek into the playoffs and they are the Kings, so you know, could actually happen, because nothing the Kings do make sense even if they aren't desperate. Remember that Greek center pick at 13 that I can't even remember having one good game - I knew that was the worst pick of that draft the minute it was made. Had Hoffa type flashbacks lol.

Haliburton would be our starting PG. I would not trade Siakam unless we're getting a starter and potential AS type. Haliburton is that guy. We would be set 1-4 in the next 3-4 years. Move GTJ to the bench as that spark plug scorer type. Tristan is a fringe starter but can be effective in the short term.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,325

Post#215 » by alpngso » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:36 pm

h4rrison wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Haliburton would be our starting PG. I would not trade Siakam unless we're getting a starter and potential AS type. Haliburton is that guy. We would be set 1-4 in the next 3-4 years. Move GTJ to the bench as that spark plug scorer type. Tristan is a fringe starter but can be effective in the short term.

Kings would be dumb to trade Haliburton instead of Fox. Cheaper, smarter player who’s good at PnR game
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#216 » by execoftheyear » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:14 am

ConSarnit wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:
IMO you might as well continue to roll with Precious than bring in Biz at his age. Nurse seems like to what Precious brings on the defensive end and on the boards. Just need to reduce his offensive responsibilities.

But Biz as number 3 C, cheap, come in a block a few shots and rebound, and fill in when Precious or Birch have been hurt, which has been the last 5-6 games now and likely to happen again this season.

A Biz-type player could be acceptable (to me at least).

-costs nothing (free agent)
-can bang with bigger bodies and rebound
-can be cut if he doesn't work out

The main issue with Biz is that our offence already has issues. He would kill our already struggling offense. I'm not opposed to a player of his type (experienced free agent C) but his skills (of lack there of) would probably hurt us more than any issues he'd help with.

That's the issue with any scrap-pile C, they likely have significant flaws that would make them neutral impact at best on this team.

our defense has been an issue as well during this losing streak and that was supposed to be our identity and something we can hang our hats on. IIRC, Biz was a quarterback on the defensive end for us, he was very vocal telling people where to be. I feel like this team needs that veteran leadership at the center position. Our guys look lost at times.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#217 » by Asif16 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Khem Birch is legit. Man is the ultimate glue guy. Very high IQ with a high +/- total
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,292

Post#218 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:48 am

Asif16 wrote:Khem Birch is legit. Man is the ultimate glue guy. Very high IQ with a high +/- total

Yes he looked good starting, and seemed to make Pascal more comfortable to not play center.

Having Precious back also, made the lineup more balanced, having 2 centers. I'd still like one more center for cases of injury like we just went through. Maybe one who can finish layups better than Precious.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
F22_Raptor
Sixth Man
And1: 3,474

Post#219 » by F22_Raptor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 am

I'd like to see more Anas.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,329

Post#220 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pm

In the 2 games since Precious came back from injury: 25.6 MIN, 9.0 PPG, 6.5 REB, 2.5 AST, .571 FG

Plus, he's played very good defense

Return to Toronto Raptors