ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #16: HEAT @ Bullets 7 PM (NBCSW/99.1 FM)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

YOUR WINNER...

Winner of the last game who's 11-5
No votes
Loser of the last game who's 10-5
100%

Total votes: 3

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Re: GT #16: HEAT @ Bullets 7 PM (NBCSW/99.1 FM) 

Post#261 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:12 am

CobraCommander wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Scared to death....a lot of Wade and bron heat jerseys but we were in there acting civilized.

You know how DC is. A lot of the locals ain’t paying for the seats but there were a couple of us holding it down - high fives (not COVID safe) all over these fans when we started to roll. The wiz players were acknowledging the fans a lot too. Kuz and Trez we’re definitely getting people engaged

Would love to see Tommy work on getting more reasonable priced tickets further down in the bowl for people with DC IDs so kids get to see a legit team.

I live out in ffx so Maybe I don’t get better prices but If you want to get the wiz to improve home town, you gotta get people from DC in the good seats

Cool, but what does Tommy have to do with ticket prices?

Sorry I thought the President of team was involved in the management top to bottom- from concessions to ticket prices like in most businesses

Maybe Terd will finally trust someone else with the urinal cakes.

This team has some flaws but also a bunch of talented, gritty players. Time will tell but they seem pretty close. That was one of the most gratifying wins I’ve ever watched.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#262 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:13 am

John Wall is owed $91m for this season & next. He's not going to give up that money. He'd be absolutely nuts to give up that money.

That's approaching one hundred million dollars. Do you know what one hundred million dollars is, guys?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,113

Post#263 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:14 am

CobraCommander wrote:Wonder if John wall watching

Imagine if John Wall came back home. Accepted a Derrick Rose career rejuvenation. We win the title, sweeping the Warriors. AstroprojectLyFe
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#264 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:29 am

80sballboy wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Just leaving the arena....felt like a home game.

Got good tickets for around 2 bills....they keep winning and that won’t be the case....the price of these lower bowl mid court going up.

We back baby

What were the fans like? Seems liked the Heat fans took over until about 5 minutes left.

Looked to be the largest crowd of the season...with most of the upper deck filled.

The crowd erupted when KCP and Dinwiddie hit those back-to-back 3s...almost playoff level noise--and intensity.

Winning brings people out...it didn't hurt that it was a Saturday night and the opponent was a (good) Miami team.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#265 » by gambitx777 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:18 am

If John wall takes a bit out at some point this seasons I hope Tommy reaches out he would be a great back up for dinnwiddie

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#266 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:18 am

CobraCommander wrote:
tontoz wrote:The heat really exposed our problems on offense. Wes should have a.clear idea of what we need to work on.

Maybe Wes should go get a offensive expert to help him...I can’t tell what principles they running on offense.

After Wes was hired, there was rumor Eddie Jordan might come on as an assistant. When Wes first started with the Wizards he was a part of Eddie's staff.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#267 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#268 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:02 am

OT: that ref Foster is a crook
In Rizzo we trust
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#269 » by zero2hero » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:17 am

Our offense has a decent flow/weave when the play breaks down. It's not Warriors-level but we get decent looks from the 3rd/4th action. It's the lack of good set pieces especially from SLOB/TOs/etc that hurt us and why we have to rely a lot of getting shots off late in the clock.

In Wes/Tommy I trust. We've still got some good offensive pieces coming back from injury to tinker with and maybe excess pieces we can use to upgrade.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#270 » by queridiculo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:16 pm

The Wizards are really making it tough on themselves in part because their offensive breakdowns in the half-court too often culminate in poor shots and live ball turnovers.

Too often all those screens and all of that movement seems to serve absolutely no purpose.

You've got players catching the ball coming off screens and just holding the ball and staring into space followed by a panic'd pass or a rushed shot as the shot dwindles down.

I don't care how good you are on defense, you're just not going to win many games when you're spotting the other team extra possessions and when you're forced to defend in transition time and time again.

Yesterday was an outlier in part because the Wizards got hot shooting to close it, and because of the Heat's continued struggle closing out games.

You've got to love the Wizards resiliency, something they have shown all season, but they need to get on top of their offensive struggles or some of these close wins will eventually turn into losses.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#271 » by CobraCommander » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

montestewart wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Cool, but what does Tommy have to do with ticket prices?

Sorry I thought the President of team was involved in the management top to bottom- from concessions to ticket prices like in most businesses

Maybe Terd will finally trust someone else with the urinal cakes.

This team has some flaws but also a bunch of talented, gritty players. Time will tell but they seem pretty close. That was one of the most gratifying wins I’ve ever watched.

People that are not at the exec level in corp America would be surprised how engaged and knowledgeable about the day to say running of a company the C suite is. It’s only when something bad happens, the exec level goes ‘oh I’m not involved in that, I’ll research’.

I’m sure ticket prices, as a significant revenue generating aspect of the company are discussed in detail. Tommy should get in their and build some good will and for some of the kids in the area (with their parents) into those lower level seats to create lifelong rabid fans while the team is good. When I go to games there are a few people that have been there since the championship and they consistently involved and knowledgeable.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#272 » by CobraCommander » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:42 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Wizards are really making it tough on themselves in part because their offensive breakdowns in the half-court too often culminate in poor shots and live ball turnovers.

Too often all those screens and all of that movement seems to serve absolutely no purpose.

You've got players catching the ball coming off screens and just holding the ball and staring into space followed by a panic'd pass or a rushed shot as the shot dwindles down.

I don't care how good you are on defense, you're just not going to win many games when you're spotting the other team extra possessions and when you're forced to defend in transition time and time again.

Yesterday was an outlier in part because the Wizards got hot shooting to close it, and because of the Heat's continued struggle closing out games.

You've got to love the Wizards resiliency, something they have shown all season, but they need to get on top of their offensive struggles or some of these close wins will eventually turn into losses.

A few of those hero beal plays where he missed wildly looked like the ONLY option because they just passed with no intention and eventually there was no more time and Beal HAD to create- a long 3...but that’s not really on Beal at this point.

The same way I said they wouldn’t miss that many 3s like they did in Charlotte, you can’t expect all the timely 3s to go down like today...so they need something or someone - Their Tex to Wes phill
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#273 » by queridiculo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:43 pm

DCZards wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Just leaving the arena....felt like a home game.

Got good tickets for around 2 bills....they keep winning and that won’t be the case....the price of these lower bowl mid court going up.

We back baby

What were the fans like? Seems liked the Heat fans took over until about 5 minutes left.

Looked to be the largest crowd of the season...with most of the upper deck filled.

The crowd erupted when KCP and Dinwiddie hit those back-to-back 3s...almost playoff level noise--and intensity.

Winning brings people out...it didn't hurt that it was a Saturday night and the opponent was a (good) Miami team.

Most importantly, it was nice to hear the boos drown out the Miami fans when they started with their Heat chant.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#274 » by CobraCommander » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:49 pm

queridiculo wrote:
DCZards wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Most importantly, it was nice to hear the boos drown out the Miami fans when they started with their Heat chant.

Hell to the yeah!

Worse game I have been to was the Philly home playoff where Embiid went off. The sixers fans made it a home playoff for them in dc...I felt alone sitting behind Embiid actual family- they are all large humans and very “animated” in a great way

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#275 » by tontoz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Spencer did seem like he was a little more aggressive tonight looking for his shot. Still I think he deferred too much to Beal but not as much as previous games.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#276 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:45 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
tontoz wrote:The heat really exposed our problems on offense. Wes should have a.clear idea of what we need to work on.

Maybe Wes should go get a offensive expert to help him...I can’t tell what principles they running on offense.

After Wes was hired, there was rumor Eddie Jordan might come on as an assistant. When Wes first started with the Wizards he was a part of Eddie's staff.

Yes but Eddie credited Wes for developing the offense.

Eddie's offense was: dribble hand-off weave at the top of the key: give it to Gil. That's pretty much it as far as plays called.

I'd be more hopeful that Gil would come back, if not on the staff at least as a star consultant in the preseason to impart a few words of the bizarre but insightful mindset of the world of Hibachi.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#277 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:51 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Wizards are really making it tough on themselves in part because their offensive breakdowns in the half-court too often culminate in poor shots and live ball turnovers.

Yes to all of this^ :nod:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#278 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:05 pm

I think too many here discount how good Miami is on defense. They put 4 excellent defenders on the floor (plus Herro or Robinson) and switch everything. And whenever Herro or Robinson get isolated, they send double team help. It's a real hard defense to crack unless you have a truly great iso scorer/playmaker who can score efficiently one-on-one and make the right pass on every double team. Beal did a pretty solid job, but because of his lack of height, he sometimes had a hard time seeing over the double teams to find the open guy, leading to the excessive turnovers. It really takes a guy like Luka or Harden to break that defense, or maybe a really quick ball handler like a Ja Morant.

Looking at their game log, the only teams to score 110 or more against them with Jimmy Butler in the lineup are Dallas (Luka), Denver (Jokic), and Utah (2nd best offense in the league). The Wizards getting to 103 by riding Beal is about all one can hope for. The rest had to be done on defense, and that's what the Wizards did. Heck, teams have scored more than 103 against Miami just 6 times all season.

I thought Beal had a very good game. Not perfect, but under the circumstances, it was good enough. Everyone else just did what they could and they played tough defense. Fortunately, some 3-point shooters got hot late in the game after Beal got doubled and made the right passes.

I continue to be encouraged by Avdija's play. He was assertive on offense and made some really nice drives in the lane. He missed a couple of bunnies, but he seems to be missing them less and less. I'm just happy he is aggressively looking for his shot, and he can now drive to his left.

I would like to see Wes let Dinwiddie drive the offense a bit more. I'm not sure why he had Beal do on just about every single possession. Beal needs to be able to rest on some possessions.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#279 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:30 pm

With each game, we're seeing more and more of the emergence of Deni's playmaking skills. He had 4 assists against the Heat, which may have been a career high. Deni even brought the ball up court on a couple of occasions.

When Wes Jr. signed on as head coach, he talked about releasing Deni's untapped potential.

Deni, imo, is on track to being very similar to Draymond Green—great defender, good playmaker, below average shooter…and I'm alright with that.

(Of course, I do hope his shooting improves significantly.)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#280 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:35 pm

zero2hero wrote:Our offense has a decent flow/weave when the play breaks down. It's not Warriors-level but we get decent looks from the 3rd/4th action. It's the lack of good set pieces especially from SLOB/TOs/etc that hurt us and why we have to rely a lot of getting shots off late in the clock.

In Wes/Tommy I trust. We've still got some good offensive pieces coming back from injury to tinker with and maybe excess pieces we can use to upgrade.

Tinkering, that's the word I was looking for. A little tinkering once Hachimura, Bryant, and Bertans are healthy. Tinkering with the roster and lineups, tinkering with the offense. It might be a question of "a player away," but Wizards may have sufficient assets to get that player. For me, "tinkering" means being a legitimate contender may be within reach, because I see their shortcomings but then I look at the Heat and Cavs wins and all those close and OT wins.

With their point differential, Wizards should not have as many wins as they have. Winning these close games is to me much more a credit to coaching and teamwork and defense, keeping them close at the end. Careful fine tuning of the offense and roster (hopefully) won't undermine what looks like a scrappy new team identity.

Return to Washington Wizards