Coach Steve Nash

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

HardenGoat
Analyst
And1: 2,445

Re: Coach Steve Nash 

Post#21 » by HardenGoat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:24 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:Some of what we are seeing is due to a shooting slump from our bench. Carter is shooting 25% and 28% from 3. Blake is at 30.6 and 16.7% from 3. Johnson has played 8 games and is 16.7% from the field. The eye test doesn’t show these are heavily contested either. Mills and Bembry are shooting fantastic. With Harris out there’s more pressure to find scoring and by default with the above Iam sure Durant wants the ball in his hands more and Harden also is compelled to get buckets. I can’t believe this slump is going to last all season. As Prok points out overall the bench is doing its job despite this thanks to LMA, Mills, and Bembry.

I agree, regression to the mean will do wonders for our roleplayers' shooting efficiency.

My one question is, how do we hire a splashy name like Kyle Korver as shooting coach, and not work on these guys' shooting form? Maybe he's tearing down bad mechanics in order to build back better ones, but I'm not seeing any different shooting motion or rhythm. Just worse results.

The worry here is a fit problem. Mills, Bembry, and LMA have found their niches and know their roles and spots. Carter looks like he hasn’t found his comfort zone in any sense of the word. Johnson is another story. This is a regular season problem though. If Kyrie were here Carter would be the backup to the backup which shows the negative effect of that overall. This guy probably didn’t practice much with the team and is being thrown out there big minutes.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#22 » by bubonicphoniks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:Where are you guys at with this guy?

Seems like he gets out coached every night. I am still trying to figure out where he adds to this team. I never hear the players even speak his name.

Have NOT been a fan of his tenure but I would like to hear from you guys.

i was calling him the worst coach of all time since his first few weeks on the job last year. my opinion of him has only gone down since then

Yep. He is flat out not getting anything done here in BK....
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#23 » by Stone » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Nash is really in a no win position. If we win, we win because we have all stars and he gets no credit. If we lose it is because he should have done this or he should have done that.....

I was just a surprised as anyone we he was announced as our head coach. Should he have been handed the keys to coach a win now team with no experience? IMO ....I would have been more comfortable with MDA as HC and Nash as an assistant. I also thought Jacque would have been a big gamble. I wanted the unpopular choice of Mark Jackson. I know he has a strong personality, but that might have been a better fit. Who knows maybe he could have convinced HWSNBN to get the vaccine.

But really the bigger question is, who is out there now that can replace Nash?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#24 » by therealbig3 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:08 pm

At the end of the day, we’re 12-5 and one of the top teams in the conference despite Kyrie not playing, Harden playing well below his standard, and overall disappointing contributions from the role players. Kevin Durant being the only one stepping up.

There is no significant improvement any other coach around the league would provide.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:41 am

therealbig3 wrote:At the end of the day, we’re 12-5 and one of the top teams in the conference despite Kyrie not playing, Harden playing well below his standard, and overall disappointing contributions from the role players. Kevin Durant being the only one stepping up.

There is no significant improvement any other coach around the league would provide.

We are probably 3 games better with any other coach on the planet.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#26 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 am

Nash just doesnt coach in games. so many obvious little things he does or doesnt do that effect us. 2 mega stars usually bail him out. but i mean simple things like:

6.8 seconds left in the 3rd vs. Orlando. Harden has 3 fouls. Ball is knocked out of bounds, still orlando ball.

A good coach makes this move: Sub in a defender for Harden
-Removed any chance Harden picks up a 4th foul on the last possesion
-Gets a better defender on the floor, better chance for a stop (orlando did end up scoring)
-Gives Harden extra rest in a game we would need him to play 40 minutes to win (that 6.7 seconds took an extra 2+ minutes of real time

again, not a huge game changing decision. but those types of things add up. that possesion at worst would have cost us 2 points and a 4th foul on Harden and less rest going into the 4th. thats not nothing. you botch 5-6 of those a game and you could cost your team a win
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#27 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:At the end of the day, we’re 12-5 and one of the top teams in the conference despite Kyrie not playing, Harden playing well below his standard, and overall disappointing contributions from the role players. Kevin Durant being the only one stepping up.

We are probably 3 games better with any other coach on the planet.

I disagree, but maybe not in the way you think I do.

Bad in-game coaching doesn't always bear out in the W-L column. Nash has made some egregious decisions in this early season, but we're right where projections had us, or slightly ahead. The problem is, we've had to empty the tank with our 32- and 33-year-old superstars to do it. A more skilled in-game coach would be able to achieve this record without playing them 36 and 37 minutes against a G League roster in the 2nd night of a back to back. Those decisions are likely to have cascading effects down the line, when wear and tear starts to catch up to aging veterans in the middle of the season. I how not, but Steve is playing with fire instead of strategy.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#28 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:Nash just doesnt coach in games. so many obvious little things he does or doesnt do that effect us. 2 mega stars usually bail him out. but i mean simple things like:

6.8 seconds left in the 3rd vs. Orlando. Harden has 3 fouls. Ball is knocked out of bounds, still orlando ball.

-Gets a better defender on the floor, better chance for a stop (orlando did end up scoring)
-Gives Harden extra rest in a game we would need him to play 40 minutes to win (that 6.7 seconds took an extra 2+ minutes of real time

again, not a huge game changing decision. but those types of things add up. that possesion at worst would have cost us 2 points and a 4th foul on Harden and less rest going into the 4th. thats not nothing. you botch 5-6 of those a game and you could cost your team a win

All of your examples are fair, and illustrate the type of opportunities that Nash misses in a nightly basis. However, I disagree that they directly result in the difference between a win and a loss.

It'll definitely turn a snoozefest 14-point easy win into a nail-biting 6-point squeaker, and he may have to overuse KD and JH in order to maintain it. But on the whole, it may only affect the W-L column 1 or 2 games by the end. The real difference we will see is in how fresh and healthy we are by then. Are we grinding bones into dust, limping into the postseason? All because we could not put away trash teams with sound strategy in December and January?
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#29 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Nash just doesnt coach in games. so many obvious little things he does or doesnt do that effect us. 2 mega stars usually bail him out. but i mean simple things like:

All of your examples are fair, and illustrate the type of opportunities that Nash misses in a nightly basis. However, I disagree that they directly result in the difference between a win and a loss.

It'll definitely turn a snoozefest 14-point easy win into a nail-biting 6-point squeaker, and he may have to overuse KD and JH in order to maintain it. But on the whole, it may only affect the W-L column 1 or 2 games by the end. The real difference we will see is in how fresh and healthy we are by then. Are we grinding bones into dust, limping into the postseason? All because we could not put away trash teams with sound strategy in December and January?

it defintely didnt cost us last night. in a 7 game series? its likely to cost us a game. thats the big problem
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#30 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

it defintely didnt cost us last night. in a 7 game series? its likely to cost us a game. thats the big problem

Bingo, my friend. That is where my concern rests. In the playoffs, we will need to be not just better than our opponent, but BETTER ENOUGH to offset this strategic deficit.
-- Steve Martin
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#31 » by gigantes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:38 am

Stone wrote:...I wanted the unpopular choice of Mark Jackson. I know he has a strong personality, but that might have been a better fit. Who knows maybe he could have convinced HWSNBN to get the vaccine.

I don't know why anyone around the league would want him, really.

For one thing, he evidently created an 'us against them' or 'player against player' gaslighting kind of culture with the Dubs. For another, he evidently wanted to interject a lot of his religious belief systems for whatever reason.

Just personally, when I hear him as the color guy on broadcasts, I rarely hear him say anything insightful or interesting. More like a bunch of catch-phrases and exclamations. That doesn't necessarily mean to me that he doesn't know his stuff, but it does show that 1) he's not particularly skilled at that job and 2) he's quite possibly not a very good communicator and/or unable to create examples that will stick in peoples' minds.

That's a lot of bad vibes for me, when packaged all up.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#32 » by Stone » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm

gigantes wrote:
Stone wrote:...I wanted the unpopular choice of Mark Jackson. I know he has a strong personality, but that might have been a better fit. Who knows maybe he could have convinced HWSNBN to get the vaccine.

For one thing, he evidently created an 'us against them' or 'player against player' gaslighting kind of culture with the Dubs. For another, he evidently wanted to interject a lot of his religious belief systems for whatever reason.

Just personally, when I hear him as the color guy on broadcasts, I rarely hear him say anything insightful or interesting. More like a bunch of catch-phrases and exclamations. That doesn't necessarily mean to me that he doesn't know his stuff, but it does show that 1) he's not particularly skilled at that job and 2) he's quite possibly not a very good communicator and/or unable to create examples that will stick in peoples' minds.

Yeah he is not everyones cup of tea. He can be a stubborn opinionated person. His religious beliefs and views on homosexuality were a disaster waiting to happen in the Bay area. He upset a lot of people and that is what did him in.

But he did get good results with the Dubs, with strong playoff runs. I remember Steph saying he considers him a mentor. Also over the years I have heard other guys say he was a great players coach.

As far as broadcasting, if he was not a good communicator or skilled at his job, he would have be long gone by now.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#33 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Stone wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Yeah he is not everyones cup of tea. He can be a stubborn opinionated person. His religious beliefs and views on homosexuality were a disaster waiting to happen in the Bay area. He upset a lot of people and that is what did him in.

But he did get good results with the Dubs, with strong playoff runs. I remember Steph saying he considers him a mentor. Also over the years I have heard other guys say he was a great players coach.

As far as broadcasting, if he was not a good communicator or skilled at his job, he would have be long gone by now.

I've spoken at length with Brian Scalabrine, who was an assistant when Jackson coached in GSW. he could not possibly said worse things about jackson as a coach and communicator. And it seems to be a popular a opinion, and why Jackson was fired despite a good record and gone no job offers and was pushed into broadcasting.
gigantes
Starter

Post#34 » by gigantes » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Stone wrote:But he did get good results with the Dubs, with strong playoff runs. I remember Steph saying he considers him a mentor. Also over the years I have heard other guys say he was a great players coach.

I didn't know Steph said that. Interesting.

I can see being a 'player's coach' as one of Jackson's strong suits, especially for younger players, as that's where the advantages probably lie in his personal style ('us against them' mentality, evangelism).

I do have some reservations about that approach, though, starting with the fact that it may be helping on one level but creating problems on other levels. Kind of a deep dive though, so I'll leave it at that.

Well, there's another way of looking at it that has to do with the mindset and knowledgeability of large swathes of sports fans. I.e., you don't necessarily need someone with higher skills if they can entertain people on the most basic levels. I could add a political analogy here, but 'nuf said I hope.

So yeah, I'm still not sold on the guy's ability to be a good color man because a bunch of sports fans enjoy him making the most rudimentary points imaginable and making nonsensical exclamations for no particular reason, several times during each broadcast.

Eh, sorry, Stone, not trying to personally attack your opinion, I'm just not a Jackson guy I guess.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by bubonicphoniks » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Stone wrote:
gigantes wrote:I don't know why anyone around the league would want him, really.

I've spoken at length with Brian Scalabrine, who was an assistant when Jackson coached in GSW. he could not possibly said worse things about jackson as a coach and communicator. And it seems to be a popular a opinion, and why Jackson was fired despite a good record and gone no job offers and was pushed into broadcasting.

Yeah I think Jackson skates by on reputation. The game has evolved way past his abilities as a communicator and strategist.

Whats Scal up to these days? Hes one of the good guys.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#36 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:12 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Stone wrote:

Yeah I think Jackson skates by on reputation. The game has evolved way past his abilities as a communicator and strategist.

Whats Scal up to these days? Hes one of the good guys.

He is the color guy for the celtics broadcasts on Fox sports boston TV and he does some coaching with high school kids in the dover-sherborne area just outside boston where he lives
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,840

Post#37 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:30 pm

When asked many years ago, when he was the coach of the Warriors, about when Jason Collins came out as gay, Jackson's response was "not in my locker room".

And yet, people wonder why he doesn't get hired? He's lucky to even have the job that he has now.

And yet, if you hear him speak, he thinks he's a man of God. He's the worst kind of person.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter

Post#38 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:17 am

MrDollarBills wrote:...And yet, if you hear him speak, he thinks he's a man of God. He's the worst kind of person.

That right there unfortunately, uncannily describes major swathes of the American public.

Such folks got directly, shamelessly recruited by the GOP around the time of Reagan, and have been part of the Right Wing's increasingly mad dog, irrational, extremist base.

All a major part of why this nation is sadly circling the drain at this point.

/political side-note, sorry not sorry
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by bubonicphoniks » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:51 am

#firenash
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#40 » by Prokorov » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:37 am

Its so bad... and the worst part is d-bag marks wont can him... his cronyism got nash the job skipping several more qualified black coaches. all nash does is throw his own team under the bus and make excuses. there has never been a worse coach in the history of this league. ever.

he cost us a title last year and a couple games this year. almost cost us several others.

Return to Brooklyn Nets