Post#601 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:58 pm

this is just brutal for Yannick

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#602 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:08 pm

if Ivey is being looked @ thru PG lens he becomes more intriguing as a prospect, just not sure if he has the game management/playmaking chops to really be a full time PG at this point. if I was him i'd focus on that this year considering it's a virtually nonexistent PG class.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,234

Post#603 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:37 am

I like Jabari Smith more than Paolo and Chet right now.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#604 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am

The-Power wrote:So I have watched a bunch of film these days and my first impression is that this draft looks fairly pedestrian or even weak in the lottery. Especially at the top I have a hard time seeing players who have the potential to turn a franchise around, but of course it's early days still.

Banchero – I like him, he looks like a fine player but I don't see a true number on pick. He has good size, solid athleticism and combines that with a good – for his size – shooting touch and some passing skills. But in order to be a special player, I'd have to see him either be able to create more on the ball (to be a Point Forward type) or be a great interior defender (to be a mismatch at Center). Neither seems very likely. His on-ball creation is limited by having neither great handles nor particularly great explosion or wiggle, and his interior defense looks more like what you would expect of an average PF. I also haven't seen the kind of consistent hustle I would like to see.

Holmgren – Count me as one of his skeptics. I see the appeal of an incredible long guy who moves fluidly and is skilled, but I just don't trust these kind of guys to be elite NBA players when they can be exploited. For Chet, his frame is an issue and the way he can be pushed around even by a number of Guards in college – and the frequency with which he's falling onto the floor – has me concerned. If he gets eaten alive by Centers in the NBA, then what kind of mismatch can he create versus 4s? His skill-level when he isn't a 5 isn't all that special, and if regular 4s can keep him out of the paint and off the glass, then his impact will necessarily be limited. He's an interesting prospect and I haven't made up my mind yet on him as I need to see more, but I fear that he'll be the next proclaimed unicorn that will not live up to the hype that the great flashes will inevitably create.

Smith – I watched him a bit but not nearly enough. At first glance, he looked like the most interesting (US) prospect in the draft but even with him I'm not yet sure what type of player he can be that would be a true franchise player. I think he can be a really good offensive player who thrives on exploiting mismatches and feeds off the attention of an elite shot creator but what would be his path to being a great offensive player? He shows flashes in all areas, which is awesome, but what would he be able to truly dominate with? On defense, I like him but once again, I see a good but not great defender at this point. In order to be elite I'd like to see more interior dominance, for which he lacks some size and athleticism, or an elite switch defender, for which he appears a bit stiff to me (not that he is stiff for his size, but compared to the elite switch defenders in the league). Still, a very good prospect obviously and I've liked what I've seen so far.

Duren – He's a great college player because he can physically dominate much of his competition but I'm skeptical about his upside. If he had an awesome motor I'd be higher on him but besides his desire to dominate the paint when he's around, his motor is a bit iffy and he doesn't run the floor as well as I'd expect. He's super explosive but a bit stiff when he needs to change directions, so I believe his defensive impact is going to be mostly coming from his interior defense which is good but he doesn't have the physical profile that I believe will allow him to just physically dominate everyone in his vicinity (although he obviously has great length and a mature body). So we're talking strictly about a 5 who is awesome when in position to challenge the shot but is likely to be much more limited when dragged out of the paint (which obviously happens in the modern NBA). On offense, he seems like a player you want to roll to the basket or be in the dunker's spot but not do much else as his skill-set is fairly limited in all aspects. In other words, I'd project him to be in the role usually occupied by an energy big. That's not nothing but nothing exciting either.

Baldwin Jr – I have only seen one full game of his, versus Florida, but that was thoroughly disappointing. He's a skilled big but there are some serious red flags. First, his college decision suggests a rather uncompetitive nature where he looks to get his and be in a comfort zone. Second, I have seen nothing on the court to suggest that he is a fierce competitor who really wants to win. On the contrary, he has shown some very lazy habits and lack of effort. Third, he is athletically limited and at times looks like he is running in water. Considering that he's not otherworldly skilled, I'm not sure what his path to being a great NBA player looks like. He can be solid if he puts in the effort though, I imagine (which is not a given, however).

Anyone else who has been talked about as a potential top 3 pick at one point or another? I haven't seen enough of Hardy to form an opinion but if he's a scorer first, second and third, he better project to be next level good at it and obviously he has struggled thus far against physically mature competition. Still, an explosive scoring Guard can be valuable in the NBA if one or two ancillary skills develop, so I'll take a close look at him over the course of the season.

I like Jaden Ivey ever since I watched him play for Team USA. He has a chance to climb really high on my board but he'll have to convince me that he can be an at least average shooter and playmaker. I'm skeptical about AJ Griffin at this point – I suspect he'd have to have a borderline elite shooting year to win me over.

I think Houstan is a really solid all-around player with a good-looking jump shot but nothing sticks out about him and he screams role player to me. I view Christie similarly who looks like he has more upside as a scorer but needs to show flashes in other areas for me to jump on the hype train.

Chandler looks like a good offensive player to me but he looked really bad on defense – and will be an obvious target in the NBA – and he doesn't seem to have the kind of deep pull-up game mixed with elite playmaking skills that would make me comfortable picking him very high in the draft. For PGs, I actually like JD Davison more at this point – if he proves to be able to make enough shots off the dribble, that is. Some of his reads and passes are really impressive (although he's not always the most accurate passer) and he knows how to make defenses shift with penetration and create good looks. He could develop into a really solid NBA PG.

Kendall Brown is an interesting prospect as well, he really looks like he jumps off a trampoline. I have no idea of what to make of him yet, though, with his refusal to shoot and my questions as to which role he could effectively fill at the next level. It'll definitely take me some more games to get an idea of what to make of him. I also like Diabate. He runs the floor well, provides energy and had some really strong possessions staying with smaller players. He's not a player that projects to have great upside, though, with his shooting deficiencies and without the size to play the 5 full time. As noted before, I also really like Keon Ellis as a role player at the next level – just to also mention one of the older guys and throw his name out there.

There are some other players I'll have to watch more on like Jović (who looked good when I watched him play international basketball but I had some concerns as well), Prkačin (who I liked last year and hope makes a jump this season), Dieng and Nzosa (haven't seen much of either) the G-League guys, some Sophomores that I didn't pay that much attention to last year (e.g. Murray, Mathurin) and some of the raw Freshmen with upside but thus far limited playing time.

Still, for the time being I'm not impressed by this draft. I hope that changes over the year but so far the top of the draft has a lot prospects with question marks and somewhat problematic archetypes in my eyes.

Watch for Adrian Griffin Jr. He was top 3-5 for me and nothing has changed, hoping he gets reps down and plays well. Was the best junior at his size and played at his own pace and was very dominant on skill and physical prowess on both ends of the court.

He has “it” imo was a good shooter at 40+ 3p% in high school but he has all the skill to skin a sheep if you catch my drift. He’s the smoking gun. Performs well once he gets continuity I truly believes he’s Butler 2.0 and if Chet is lukewarm on his performances overall I’ll put my hat in the ring and say take ADJ number one.

Chet is still tentative number one with Smith he’s right there but ADJ is the monster under the bed. Chet’s potential is the highest if everything works out which remains to seen because I too agree about his body composition. He needs 20+ pounds before the NBA Rookie season begins.

Also there’s nothing wrong with Duren’s motor in fact that’s a positive. He’s running gait is the same Myles Turner terminator style, he gets around the court easy as pie.

Right now there’s no true number atm (I’m not a big advocate for consensus unless it’s a duh Zion/Luka/AD prospect) only two look like it (Chet/Smith) but it’s early days. I don’t think there’ll will be a surefire number one, two, three or four kind of like how Cade/Mobley/Green/Barnes turned out.

I like it like that

In due time I reckon it’ll be Chet/ADJ/Smith JR all vying for number one and not Banch.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#605 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:35 am

yoyoboy wrote:AJ Griffin definitely intrigues me, but I have yet to watch a full game. I just like the way he moves especially with that frame of his, and between those aspects and his footwork he really does give Jimmy Butler vibes at times.

He does play weirdly crouched down a lot. And he spreads his feet really far apart when shooting. I’d be interested to get an exact height measurement on him. I still have PTSD from Okoro allegedly being “6’6” lol.

I have no worries about him being able to play and guard SFs though, at least from a size perspective. I’m seeing his wingspan ranges from 7’0-7’2 depending on the source and he clearly has broad shoulders and good musculature.

:). Fix the feet position on shooting which is pronounced. Maxey second year fixed his which was part of his range problem. Funny how a simple obv glaring thing needs a technique adjustment and everything changes.

ADJ is better on the polish stuff and class tier coming into it then Okoro, Culver, Williams for example. He was ranked in the top 5 in juniors. Scouts have known him for years now. They’d probably have a better clue than us here at how good he is.

There’s really nothing “raw” about him it’s just reps/playing time and health that’s it. Crouched down a lot is an important trait to have, the byproduct is mismatches. Wade, Butler, Leonard, MJ, Kobe all do it consistently in their careers.

Someone bigger? Go small blow past them or too nimble
Someone smaller? Go big and out size them.

Not saying ADJ is anything of those great great names but he’s shown to have that type of trait. I can see him being a matchup problem for the opposing team at the next level.

What’s weird is posters claiming he was overrated and not going to get playing time. I mean this kid hasn’t had a real go at being healthy for over a year. One month of being fully recovered from injury in October is nothing time in sports to get healthy and match fit. Sprained knees take time
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#606 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:52 am

chet top 3 is absurd. the texas game is what you would see in the NBA. he doesnt have the speed or quickness to overcome how weak and thin he is. he is at best a role player and likely one of the bigger busts all time.

crossing over Steph has him the most overrated prospect ever
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#607 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:53 am

I will say it has been an underwhelming 1st month of the season when it comes to the top draft prospects.

Looking at who most people have in their top 3:

Jabari: 13/8/1 so far in his 2 games. 2 of his 3 games he hasnt even reached double digit scoring. And the best team he has played is Morehead State and they have no size at all.
Chet: 11/7/4 and the 1 legit team he has played in his 4 games, he was a no show.
Paolo: 16/8/1. Had the good game against UK, but has had back 2 back very quiet games. And his perimeter skills which everyone was so hyped about haven't really translated yet.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying this is looking like the 2013 draft or anything. The top guys here have at least something going for them that keeps them as intriguing prospects. But ya a month in and its not looking like a mouth watering good draft at the top either though.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,078

Post#608 » by The-Power » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:39 am

retrobro90 wrote:Purdue is a blast to watch. Ivey's passing ability off a live dribble after he's created the advantage looks very translatable. If the J is real then he could be a legit PG prospect with size.

Ivey is starting to look like a first-tier prospect in this draft to me. A lot of what he does should translate.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#609 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:45 pm

I got a funny feeling that either or could happen in this years prospects:

1. Chet is for real at the next level and All Star level type player or more.
2. Or the best player to come from this draft in 5 years time wasn’t picked in the top 5. Giannis 15th, Leonard 15th, Jokic 41.

Both could be true. Could it be Murray? Size wise he’s very impressive. Had him 30-40 range now 10-20 he’s been destroying so far. I won’t say it but I will he looks like kid version of Giannis out there yeesh.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#610 » by Prokorov » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I will say it has been an underwhelming 1st month of the season when it comes to the top draft prospects.

Jabari: 13/8/1 so far in his 2 games. 2 of his 3 games he hasnt even reached double digit scoring. And the best team he has played is Morehead State and they have no size at all.
Chet: 11/7/4 and the 1 legit team he has played in his 4 games, he was a no show.
Paolo: 16/8/1. Had the good game against UK, but has had back 2 back very quiet games. And his perimeter skills which everyone was so hyped about haven't really translated yet.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying this is looking like the 2013 draft or anything. The top guys here have at least something going for them that keeps them as intriguing prospects. But ya a month in and its not looking like a mouth watering good draft at the top either though.

All the KD comparison for chet. insane. What KD did as a freshman was sick. crossing people up, taking fools off the dribble. chet looks like a stiff
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#611 » by eminence » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Banchero has looked decent and probably has the inside track for #1 for me (I only follow college/g-league regularly). Haven't minded Durens play. I'd be looking at Agbaji in the lottery right now. I like the profile of Griffin well enough, but need some more game action for sure.

Need to catch up on my g-league viewing.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#612 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:48 pm

i don't think I saw anyone here compare Chet to KD on any serious level.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#613 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I will say it has been an underwhelming 1st month of the season when it comes to the top draft prospects.

All the KD comparison for chet. insane. What KD did as a freshman was sick. crossing people up, taking fools off the dribble. chet looks like a stiff

Maybe a couple people on the General Board might have been making that comparison. But I will say I don’t think I’ve seen that compassion here on the draft board. I actually think the majority of people on here were always pretty cautious with hyping Chet too much.
eminence
RealGM

Post#614 » by eminence » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Sitting down to watch the Ignite vs the Lakers, will give thoughts here to follow.

-Halfway through the first quarter. Youth looking pretty good, up 12-8. All look like they belong physically (obviously a bit on the skinny side).

Daniels looking fairly confident being the primary ball handler and pushing the ball up court, pretty good decision making so far.

Hardy moving well, his handle looks good, shot form looks nice, but decision making hasn't wowed me, taking tough shots and a bad pass in a 3 on 1 break.

Foster had perhaps a bit too much energy to start, replaced by Amir Johnson early. It was useful in the paint on defense and the boards, but forcing some stuff offensively with his shot and trying to take it to the rim off the dribble.

Beauchamp, haven't really noticed him so far.

-End of the 1st. Ignite up 29-28.

Scoot looked really really good in his stretch. Know he's not this draft, but great passing, good decision making, great energy. Very nice.

Foster still impactful around the paint, horrible decision on a turnaround-fadeaway J. Looking pretty limited for skills.

Beauchamp didn't look super comfortable with his handle. Still not a lot of visible plays.

Hardy had another bad shot to end the quarter. Off the dribble well defended 3 with 14s on the shot-clock and 16s on the game clock.

-Halfway through the 2nd now. Ignite up 46-42. Had a kind of rough start to the quarter, but bounced back.

Beauchamp showing a bit now, shooting form looks decent, running the court, and a good follow jam.

Daniels looks like the best decision maker of the young guys (maybe Scoot, but he hasn't played much yet).

Foster/Hardy a bit more under control, but haven't done much. Hardy looks high skills, but the decisions haven't been there.

-Halftime. Ignite up 63-55. Got out in transition to open up a lead. Hardy hit a half court heave after the buzzer.

Hardy/Beauchamp both are finishing on the break. Foster had a nice finish off a pass from Beauchamp.

Scoot didn't do much in his second stint, think he got called for one charge and missed a 3. He looks about the same size as Hardy.

Daniels the most under control it seems.

Everybody getting after it a bit more on D.
I bought a boat.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,082

Post#615 » by NYPiston » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm going to continue to pound that Ivey drum. He's always been a dynamic athlete/slasher but if he can play under control like he has this season thus far and become a top tier playmaker, he's going to get some top 5 mention. Every time he gets the ball, he makes something happen and he thrives in the big moments. Love this kid.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#616 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Watching those AJ Griffin highlights from the other night and he has some nice potential.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#617 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Mathurin is pretty underrated too. Inspector gadget arms. Downside is his size to matchup bigger, he’s more 6”6 than a true 6”7”. But the wingspan subverts it as a SG/SF at the next level imo. A fraction smaller than Mikal Bridges. It says 198 cm which is touch and go on being truthful. Anyway that’s nitpicking

But he’s very good and should go high in the draft.

(Damn imperial system sucks so easy to doctor the numbers, metric not so much.)
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#618 » by yoyoboy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:12 pm

The-Power wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:AJ Griffin definitely intrigues me, but I have yet to watch a full game. I just like the way he moves especially with that frame of his, and between those aspects and his footwork he really does give Jimmy Butler vibes at times.

But what skills does he have? Genuinely asking. I haven't seen a lot of him but I just didn't see much skill besides maybe the potential as a shooter if last game was any indication (which I'm not sure it really was). Maybe he simply couldn't showcase it yet?

It's a valid question for sure. I'll have to watch more to comment on that. He seems to have good touch for finishing and good footwork. And maybe the shooting is legit, as he's started off well and iirc he shot decently from the FT line in high school.

I am kind of concerned that in 64 minutes of game time he has no free throw attempts. Like I said I haven't actually watched any games beyond the highlights, so maybe someone else can fill in. But considering his frame and strength aren't a problem, I would assume it would be the fact that his handle isn't up to par for being able to get into the teeth of the defense. I really want to see how he looks on the defensive end.

He'd be a project for sure, but unlike someone like Okoro who turned out to be about 6'4 without long arms and without stand out athleticism or even natural movement for basketball, Griffin could be someone worth developing.
eminence
RealGM

Post#619 » by eminence » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:34 am

Running thoughts from the 2nd half, followed by summarized thoughts on each of the young guys.

Nice floater from Daniels.

Nice backpedaling block from Beauchamp.

Couple plays in a row where Daniels/Foster weren't watching for kinda routine passes. Then a poor forced pass from Hardy.

Foster with a solid post-up vs Stanley Johnson.

Scoot lost track of the clock on that possession.

Nice find by Daniels, but Scoot hasn't been making the shots.

Nice drive to the rim by Scoot.

Very quick outlet by Daniels, good look.

Up 10 after 3.

Good drive and finish by Hardy.

Not a bad little dump off pass from Foster.

Yeah, Hardy has all the scoring moves you could hope for for someone his age.

Foster with an okay looking 3 ball. Slow though.

Bad pass from Foster out of the post.

Very tough fadeaway by Foster.

-Takeaways for each.

Scoot - not this draft, but looked like the highest upside prospect out there to me. Tight handle, good passes, very quick, size good. Think he'll compete for the top of the next draft.

Hardy - skills/athleticism were there, but decision making left me wanting quite a bit more, and he didn't do a ton of running the offense. Low shooting %s due to tough tough shots. A bit more wary than I was going in.

Foster - Hit the boards, played with effort, but didn't sell me on having the skills necessary.

Beauchamp - Good size and moved well for a wing, finished plays well, but didn't make plays for himself or others. Didn't pay enough attention to his perimeter D to say if he has a role there or not.

Daniels - Impressed me the most of the draftable guys. Good size, skills, just good decisions all over the court.
I bought a boat.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#620 » by ItsDanger » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 am

Decent mobility, soft hands. Can he bring the big man back?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to NBA Draft