ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #16: HEAT @ Bullets 7 PM (NBCSW/99.1 FM)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

YOUR WINNER...

Winner of the last game who's 11-5
No votes
Loser of the last game who's 10-5
100%

Total votes: 3

zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Re: GT #16: HEAT @ Bullets 7 PM (NBCSW/99.1 FM) 

Post#281 » by zero2hero » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:50 pm

montestewart wrote:
zero2hero wrote:Our offense has a decent flow/weave when the play breaks down. It's not Warriors-level but we get decent looks from the 3rd/4th action. It's the lack of good set pieces especially from SLOB/TOs/etc that hurt us and why we have to rely a lot of getting shots off late in the clock.

In Wes/Tommy I trust. We've still got some good offensive pieces coming back from injury to tinker with and maybe excess pieces we can use to upgrade.

Tinkering, that's the word I was looking for. A little tinkering once Hachimura, Bryant, and Bertans are healthy. Tinkering with the roster and lineups, tinkering with the offense. It might be a question of "a player away," but Wizards may have sufficient assets to get that player. For me, "tinkering" means being a legitimate contender may be within reach, because I see their shortcomings but then I look at the Heat and Cavs wins and all those close and OT wins.

With their point differential, Wizards should not have as many wins as they have. Winning these close games is to me much more a credit to coaching and teamwork and defense, keeping them close at the end. Careful fine tuning of the offense and roster (hopefully) won't undermine what looks like a scrappy new team identity.

Yep, that's what I was also getting at too. Arguably the two greatest components in playoff basketball - where everyone knows all your sets and you have to rely more on "scramble" drills as they call it in the NFL
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#282 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm enjoying this. When's the next game?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#283 » by Frichuela » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 pm

nate33 wrote:I think too many here discount how good Miami is on defense. They put 4 excellent defenders on the floor (plus Herro or Robinson) and switch everything. And whenever Herro or Robinson get isolated, they send double team help. It's a real hard defense to crack unless you have a truly great iso scorer/playmaker who can score efficiently one-on-one and make the right pass on every double team. Beal did a pretty solid job, but because of his lack of height, he sometimes had a hard time seeing over the double teams to find the open guy, leading to the excessive turnovers. It really takes a guy like Luka or Harden to break that defense, or maybe a really quick ball handler like a Ja Morant.

Looking at their game log, the only teams to score 110 or more against them with Jimmy Butler in the lineup are Dallas (Luka), Denver (Jokic), and Utah (2nd best offense in the league). The Wizards getting to 103 by riding Beal is about all one can hope for. The rest had to be done on defense, and that's what the Wizards did. Heck, teams have scored more than 103 against Miami just 6 times all season.

I thought Beal had a very good game. Not perfect, but under the circumstances, it was good enough. Everyone else just did what they could and they played tough defense. Fortunately, some 3-point shooters got hot late in the game after Beal got doubled and made the right passes.

I continue to be encouraged by Avdija's play. He was assertive on offense and made some really nice drives in the lane. He missed a couple of bunnies, but he seems to be missing them less and less. I'm just happy he is aggressively looking for his shot, and he can now drive to his left.

I would like to see Wes let Dinwiddie drive the offense a bit more. I'm not sure why he had Beal do on just about every single possession. Beal needs to be able to rest on some possessions.

Good points Nate, Miami’s D is truly elite.

Your last point on Dinwiddie is key. Wes and the team overall have to convince Beal to defer more to Spencer. It’s clear he is a much better game manager down the stretch as well as taller (legit 6’5” in socks), which should allow him to better deal with Miami’s suffocating D.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#284 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:20 am

80sballboy wrote:
tontoz wrote:The heat really exposed our problems on offense. Wes should have a.clear idea of what we need to work on.

Inbounds and backup point guards are problems. Beal has to do too much so he gets drained in the fourth quarter. You can't let Neto or Holiday handle it too much since they are walking turnovers right now. That backup PG position needs to be addressed because our depth is going to super strong up front when Rui and Bryant return in 2021 or 2022.

I commented earlier this year that one of the characteristics of our winning formula was
a low number of WTFs. They survived tonight but they really need to clean up the whole
inbounding the ball thing. These are NBA players for crissake. And this wasn't the first time (game)
we have had issues in that area. It can't be that hard.

WUJ will fix it though. I believe that. Attention to details!

All that said, down 10 with 4 minutes to play, against a very good team, Wiz fans have learned over decades
what to expect. This team can happily surprise us. Not your father's wizards.

Get by CHA and we should also beat Pels and the Thunder. But obviously, you have to play the games.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#285 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:39 am

FAH1223 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
What were the fans like? Seems liked the Heat fans took over until about 5 minutes left.

Scared to death....a lot of Wade and bron heat jerseys but we were in there acting civilized.

You know how DC is. A lot of the locals ain’t paying for the seats but there were a couple of us holding it down - high fives (not COVID safe) all over these fans when we started to roll. The wiz players were acknowledging the fans a lot too. Kuz and Trez we’re definitely getting people engaged

Would love to see Tommy work on getting more reasonable priced tickets further down in the bowl for people with DC IDs so kids get to see a legit team.

I live out in ffx so Maybe I don’t get better prices but If you want to get the wiz to improve home town, you gotta get people from DC in the good seats

I was at the Grizz game and got into the 104 section pretty close up. Got those tix for $50 a pop!

My old section. Great value seats there. I used to sit right across the aisle from Candace Buckner and
then later moved down another 4-5 rows. But I gave up my seats a few years ago before EG was dismissed.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#286 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:47 am

Zonkerbl wrote:I'm enjoying this. When's the next game?

3 winnable games coming up

CHA, PELS and OKC.

(not that any of them should be taken for granted)

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#287 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:24 am

Hook me up with those $50 tickets! Dm for real
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#288 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:33 pm

I feel like this would be a much better team, historically, if the fans in the arena rooted for the home team more.

Is this just a Wizards thing? Or do fans travel everywhere, and I'm just noticing it here because it's the only place I've gone to a lot of home games?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#289 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:06 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I feel like this would be a much better team, historically, if the fans in the arena rooted for the home team more.

Is this just a Wizards thing? Or do fans travel everywhere, and I'm just noticing it here because it's the only place I've gone to a lot of home games?

More than 50% of DC area residents are transplants, so a lot of people who didn't grow up following DC teams. Many of these came from regions that did not have an NBA team, so are always free to follow a front runner. Thus a lot of people supporting Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Warriors are not actually from those places. Then you have Celtics, Bulls, Blazers, Nuggets, Hornets--the de facto regional home team for a wide range of transplants. And then you have the people who actually grew up on Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Lakers and just happened to move here.

Based on watching NBA basketball in three other cities (New York, Philadelphia, Orlando) it is not like that in other cities. In Philadelphia especially, you could get hurt rooting for the wrong team (at least that used to be the case).
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,113

Post#290 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I feel like this would be a much better team, historically, if the fans in the arena rooted for the home team more.

I feel like it’s a combination of factors, including DC being a massive transplant city, geographic proximation to rabid northeast fan bases (NY, BOS, TOR, Philly all of healthy, annoying and passionate fan bases), along with some stans teams lovers like the Lakers and Heat. Also too many white collar schmoos bringing their clients to games or companies with corporate accounts.

With that said our crowd can get rowdy, but it’s hit or miss.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#291 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:35 pm

montestewart wrote:

More than 50% of DC area residents are transplants, so a lot of people who didn't grow up following DC teams. Many of these came from regions that did not have an NBA team, so are always free to follow a front runner. Thus a lot of people supporting Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Warriors are not actually from those places. Then you have Celtics, Bulls, Blazers, Nuggets, Hornets--the de facto regional home team for a wide range of transplants. And then you have the people who actually grew up on Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Lakers and just happened to move here.

Based on watching NBA basketball in three other cities (New York, Philadelphia, Orlando) it is not like that in other cities. In Philadelphia especially, you could get hurt rooting for the wrong team (at least that used to be the case).

Ticket prices ticket prices ticket prices plus bad product.

People that are transplants make more money in general and are rooting for better teams often. So they have more incentive to come cheer and more money to get in good seats.

When I was a kid going to capital center, we were so high up at the game i could barely tell the difference between Maute Bol and Mugsy. So what am I cheering for...the scoreboard changing or the replay? Not enough of The rabid local fans close enough to digest the game in detail.

Its not just us...I went a Miami game in Miami previously and no one was there...it was a defacto wiz home game for like 2 quarters...but we sucked and they had a squad and eventually the fans showed up.

The later it gets, the more away fans show up lol

Get creative to build a home team advantage like the bucks - that’s a good town for a game...same with the Suns...
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#292 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Ticket prices ticket prices ticket prices plus bad product.

People that are transplants make more money in general and are rooting for better teams often. So they have more incentive to come cheer and more money to get in good seats.

When I was a kid going to capital center, we were so high up at the game i could barely tell the difference between Maute Bol and Mugsy. So what am I cheering for...the scoreboard changing or the replay? Not enough of The rabid local fans close enough to digest the game in detail.

Its not just us...I went a Miami game in Miami previously and no one was there...it was a defacto wiz home game for like 2 quarters...but we sucked and they had a squad and eventually the fans showed up.

The later it gets, the more away fans show up lol

Get creative to build a home team advantage like the bucks - that’s a good town for a game...same with the Suns...

yeah because I realize the only live bball experience I had previously was going to Hoosiers games as a grad student back in the Bobby Knight era so maybe the NBA is just a totally different animal. maybe I'm asking too much for pro games to be as fun as a Hoosiers game

I mean NBA games look fun on tv but maybe that's because they play around with the crowd noise to make it sound like the fans are more into it than they really are
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#293 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:56 pm

Much louder and larger crowds this season. Winning does that. When Heat fans started their “Let’s Go Heat” cheer the boos of Zards fans drowned them out. That hasn’t always been the case.

Beal talked about the crowd in his postgame interview.

Beal:

“We’re getting our D.C. swagger back. The fans know. They feel the energy and we feed off the energy. So please continue to support us. We gonna continue to go hard. This team is special. We coming, we coming.”
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#294 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 pm

We haven't had a 50 win team since the 70s. After decades of suck I can understand a little apathy from the fans.

For comparison the Raps just had 5 straight 50+ win seasons and they did it without any high draft picks or high profile free agents.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 870

Post#295 » by badinage » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 pm

The Wizards have had terrible fans and crowds for eons.

There are no crazies at the games. Nobody’s rabid. There are no characters — and nor are there in the city. (This is not a city of characters. Or character.)

It could change. Maybe. I hope it does.

But it will never be Boston or Philly or NY. Them’s fans. Rowdies. Characters. People who’ll spit on an opposing player and throw batteries and talk about nutting on your mama. Which, admittedly, isn’t so nice — but he11 yeah I want it when I go to a game.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#296 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:54 pm

I've been known to be pretty rabid although I try to keep it G rated.

I know a couple years ago I was really giving Delavadova the treatment for being a dirty player.
He earned it.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#297 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:05 am

badinage wrote:The Wizards have had terrible fans and crowds for eons.

There are no crazies at the games. Nobody’s rabid. There are no characters — and nor are there in the city. (This is not a city of characters. Or character.)

Then you have never been to a Caps game. There are characters and rabid fans there. The Skins had characters and rabid fans for many years even deep into the Snyder era. The Nats have diehards and notable fans with local fame. DC United fans are locos. Maryland fans are berserk, to the point of riots.

The difference is those are franchises with championships and/or a period of time where they consistently won. Interestingly the ticket prices for the Wizards are among the lowest in the league (21st). If a Knicks fan (most expensive on average) wanted to see their squad they could save $176 per ticket if they took a discount bus to DC. Lakers, Boston, Chicago, Brooklyn, Cavs, Miami, Philly likewise. Okay Philly fans would only save $20 bucks, but there are more and better seats available here. Personally I'd love to see the team upcharge out of town fans, the way the Caps did a few years ago for a playoff run.

I do think in the NBA the rowdiest fans are way up in the cheap seats. Not so with the Caps who have a few devout madmen mooshed up against the glass. As we win I expect more devoted fans will spend the $$ to buy tickets lower down, but yeah, until then we will get fans less willing to commit to a team that was consistently mediocre at best.

I do wish we could have Brooklyn/Lakers style theater lighting to spotlight the court and keep the audience in the dark. Then you wouldn't see empty seats in that depressing dead blue color. But maybe if we win a ton there will be money for this sort of atmospheric upgrade.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#298 » by CobraCommander » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:14 am

It could change. Maybe. I hope it does.

But it will never be Boston or Philly or NY. Them’s fans. Rowdies. Characters. People who’ll spit on an opposing player and throw batteries and talk about nutting on your mama. Which, admittedly, isn’t so nice — but he11 yeah I want it when I go to a game.

You had me, then lost me, then lost me more, then made me go....who the hell wants that at any game

badinage can’t go to games anymore
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#299 » by CobraCommander » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:18 am

doclinkin wrote:

Then you have never been to a Caps game. There are characters and rabid fans there. The Skins had characters and rabid fans for many years even deep into the Snyder era. The Nats have diehards and notable fans with local fame. DC United fans are locos. Maryland fans are berserk, to the point of riots.

The difference is those are franchises with championships and/or a period of time where they consistently won. Interestingly the ticket prices for the Wizards are among the lowest in the league (21st). If a Knicks fan (most expensive on average) wanted to see their squad they could save $176 per ticket if they took a discount bus to DC. Lakers, Boston, Chicago, Brooklyn, Cavs, Miami, Philly likewise. Okay Philly fans would only save $20 bucks, but there are more and better seats available here. Personally I'd love to see the team upcharge out of town fans, the way the Caps did a few years ago for a playoff run.

I do think in the NBA the rowdiest fans are way up in the cheap seats. Not so with the Caps who have a few devout madmen mooshed up against the glass. As we win I expect more devoted fans will spend the $$ to buy tickets lower down, but yeah, until then we will get fans less willing to commit to a team that was consistently mediocre at best.

I do wish we could have Brooklyn/Lakers style theater lighting to spotlight the court and keep the audience in the dark. Then you wouldn't see empty seats in that depressing dead blue color. But maybe if we win a ton there will be money for this sort of atmospheric upgrade.

I want fans not idiots at the game....I’m not paying money to have violence, the treat of violence, vulgarities or any of that stuff at a basketball game.

MMA and boxing - leave the sensitive people and kids at home... Yeah but not basketball..

You can be engaged and a good crowd without ruining it for the rest of us
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:57 am

Hey man I'm hilarious

I feel attacked

Return to Washington Wizards