ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#981 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:06 pm

basketballRob wrote:Mosley probably remembers Isaac dominating Dallas.

I remember watching Carlisle's interview after this game and he was basically in traumatic shock after the game Isaac played and raved about what a major factor on both ends Isaac was.

Being over 2 years removed from this, I can see why people would question why some of us are still so high on him as a player (if healthy), but it was because of games like this.

He wasn't just a great defender, he was a defender who could alter the course of the game with his ability to guard all 5 positions, protect the rim, disrupt passing lanes, rebound, and anything else you could want from a defender. The offense was coming along too, people aren't over-rating that fact.

He wasn't turning into a first or second option, but I certainly think he was showing potential as a damn good 3rd one.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#982 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:22 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

I remember watching Carlisle's interview after this game and he was basically in traumatic shock after the game Isaac played and raved about what a major factor on both ends Isaac was.

Being over 2 years removed from this, I can see why people would question why some of us are still so high on him as a player (if healthy), but it was because of games like this.

He wasn't just a great defender, he was a defender who could alter the course of the game with his ability to guard all 5 positions, protect the rim, disrupt passing lanes, rebound, and anything else you could want from a defender. The offense was coming along too, people aren't over-rating that fact.

He wasn't turning into a first or second option, but I certainly think he was showing potential as a damn good 3rd one.

Why does a player who can impact the game like that NEED to also be Kevin Durant offensively. Seriously …

If a guy can do that to the opposing team consistently (and stay healthy) while simply being a part of the offense by hitting open shots reliably then we have a star. A defensive star, sure but a stat just the same. The saying healthy is the problem, not the offense.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#983 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:25 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

I remember that. He gave JI very high remarks.
aka: prorl
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#984 » by Horcy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
He was in pain? Where wqs this reported? Don't think with our injury history we should chance it with suggs..

didn’t you see how he walked after the interview?

our management is not necessary good on reporting injuries. I just mentioned what I saw

He rolled his ankle in the previous game he played in. He took a knee to the thigh going around a screen in the game last night. Those suck. He's a guy that is always going to be banged up by nature of how he plays. He's also a guy that isn't going to let that stop him from playing.

Yeah. That's what I meant. He rested one game and came back, even he wasn't fully healed. I truly respect that. That's also why I was so happy about him. Because Suggs is the kind of player that talking about his basketball skills is not enough. He gives much more than just basketball. He always gives his 110% on every play and I love it.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#985 » by AaronB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Horcy wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Horcy wrote:
didn’t you see how he walked after the interview?

our management is not necessary good on reporting injuries. I just mentioned what I saw

He rolled his ankle in the previous game he played in. He took a knee to the thigh going around a screen in the game last night. Those suck. He's a guy that is always going to be banged up by nature of how he plays. He's also a guy that isn't going to let that stop him from playing.

Yeah. That's what I meant. He rested one game and came back, even he wasn't fully healed. I truly respect that. That's also why I was so happy about him. Because Suggs is the kind of player that talking about his basketball skills is not enough. He gives much more than just basketball. He always gives his 110% on every play and I love it.

I said it on the game thread, but Suggs' steal at the end of the Knick game was "elite". While other players were running back to get into position, Suggs was sizing up the floor and getting himself in position to make a play.

Can't teach that. A player either has that awareness or they do not.

I still think that he will be the best player from the 2021 draft. Slow start offensively for sure, but his elite qualities are there.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,691

Post#986 » by GameOver25 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:56 pm

AaronB wrote:
Horcy wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I said it on the game thread, but Suggs' steal at the end of the Knick game was "elite". While other players were running back to get into position, Suggs was sizing up the floor and getting himself in position to make a play.

I still think that he will be the best player from the 2021 draft. Slow start offensively for sure, but his elite qualities are there.

Yep, like a defensive back reading the quarterback eyes. He came away with a Pick-6 on that play.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#987 » by Skybox » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:10 pm

GameOver25 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Horcy wrote:

Yep, like a defensive back reading the quarterback eyes. He came away with a Pick-6 on that play.

He smiled and said he'd played some Free Safety in the postgame :nod:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#988 » by Xatticus » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:52 pm

AaronB wrote:
Horcy wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

That was the least impressive of his four stocks from my perspective. That was a reckless pass to throw. Nevertheless, it was a 2-point swing in the outcome of the game (1 point saved, 1 point gained).

His other three were: the block on Mitchell's reverse that turned into a fast break and yielded two free throws (3-point swing: 2 saved, 1 gained), picking Rose up near mid court and finishing with a dunk (2-point swing: 1 saved, 1 gained), and when he rotated down to steal a wraparound pass to Robinson when WCJ went out to defend a driving Toppin (2-point swing: 2 saved).

The average NBA possession is worth roughly 1.08 points. When you wipe away a guaranteed two and turn that into a high-value possession on the other end, that's a full 3-point swing in the outcome of the game. That's massive. To put that into context, the difference between a .550 TS% and a .500 TS% is about 2 points for every 20 field goal attempts.

He did have a boneheaded drive and kick that turned into an easy basket for NY that was a 2-point swing for NY (1 saved, 1 gained).

Jalen Suggs makes winning plays and he does so without compromising his defensive obligations. His TS added is a miserable -46.4 right now, but the team isn't sinking when he is on the floor because he is so good at the defensive end. When he gets up to speed at the offensive end, he is going to be very special.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,969

Post#989 » by KillMonger » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:31 am

He's showing flashes, that's all I need to see from the kid in year 1. We got to see a taste of how he can look when his shot is falling. Shot consistency will come, he's a hard worker. It's a shooting slump but it's not like we haven't seen it before... Remember when Evan went damn near half a season shooting like azz? Eventually he got out of the funk and I think Suggs will too.

It's the in-between game he has to REALLY sharpen, that floater needs a ton of work.... Shouldn't be airballing floaters my guy, he's missing a lot of bunnies at the rim. He doesn't seem to have an issue getting to the rim but when he gets there he's missing easy ones....getting stronger might help with that.

Handle needs to sharpen up as well... The turnovers is something I expected so I don't have to really touch on that it'll get better with experience....I would have Suggs try to get those mid range pull ups down though.

Nothing to say defensively he's ahead of the curve there, just curious though would it be fair to say that Suggs offensive struggles are similar to Cole's first year offensive struggles?
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 650

Post#990 » by RichCollab » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Suggs is thinking way to hard on the court right now. I really think he needs a full year before he settles down.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#991 » by RookieStar » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:24 pm

KillMonger wrote:He's showing flashes, that's all I need to see from the kid in year 1. We got to see a taste of how he can look when his shot is falling. Shot consistency will come, he's a hard worker. It's a shooting slump but it's not like we haven't seen it before... Remember when Evan went damn near half a season shooting like azz? Eventually he got out of the funk and I think Suggs will too.

It's the in-between game he has to REALLY sharpen, that floater needs a ton of work.... Shouldn't be airballing floaters my guy, he's missing a lot of bunnies at the rim. He doesn't seem to have an issue getting to the rim but when he gets there he's missing easy ones....getting stronger might help with that.

Handle needs to sharpen up as well... The turnovers is something I expected so I don't have to really touch on that it'll get better with experience....I would have Suggs try to get those mid range pull ups down though.

Nothing to say defensively he's ahead of the curve there, just curious though would it be fair to say that Suggs offensive struggles are similar to Cole's first year offensive struggles?

Yeah.. I remember last season when Cole whrn he goes to the hoop did everything but let it drop. We all blamed it on his puny body that cant handle the contact.

So yeah not really worrird about it as well as his shot. Regarding the floater, I dont think Cole was accurate in his floaters as well when he was a rookie...

However, that handle/dribble though... that needs to be improved... A LOT. You cant be a NBA pg and get easily swiped or lose the ball dribbling.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#992 » by KillMonger » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:15 am

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#993 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:28 am

Those drives are looking strong from Suggs. Much better awareness of his defender and making his move after he gets them off balance. Before he’d commit to moves regardless of what the defender was doing and end up blocked. He was creating clear looks at the rim there, and looking a lot more explosive too.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#994 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm

Certainly have seen improvement in Jalen since the regular season started, good signs. He is finishing better and making better reads/decisions. However his handle is still really loose, I hope this summer his #1 focus is improving his handle because it's what could separate him from a decent player to a star level player. If he is going to be a PG he has to improve that drastically, which to me is a little concerning because it's something that is difficult for players to improve.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
aka: prorl
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#995 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Certainly have seen improvement in Jalen since the regular season started, good signs. He is finishing better and making better reads/decisions. However his handle is still really loose, I hope this summer his #1 focus is improving his handle because it's what could separate him from a decent player to a star level player. If he is going to be a PG he has to improve that drastically, which to me is a little concerning because it's something that is difficult for players to improve.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
It can be difficult sure but there have been plenty of players that was able to do so.... Not worried about that in the slightest

Sent from my KB2003 using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#996 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:32 am

Ballhandling and jumpshot. Clear issues with both.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#997 » by drsd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 am

pepe1991 wrote:Ballhandling and jumpshot. Clear issues with both.

At least we know how he will spend his Summer.

KillMonger
RealGM

Post#998 » by KillMonger » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:24 am

look at the defensive sequence at the end of the video....just beautiful to watch
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#999 » by nicnac215 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:26 pm

He looks like he is getting a much better feel on offense however he can’t dribble without looking at the ball.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#1000 » by Horcy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm

He played a heck of a game. I know he has not been as effective as we would love but he carried the team, gave many assists and showed no fear of attacking the rim several times. In a better shooting team he could have finished with no less than 15 assists.
I definitely prefer to be run by Jalen than Cole.

It seems Jalen's comeback is also having a big impact on Cole's confidence but at this point, that's not a big concern for me. I have high hopes on Suggs, If his confidence and game impact Anthony negatively, whatever man. Suggs is a cornerstone of this franchise's future. And Cole, despite what he thinks, will be a rotational player.

Return to Orlando Magic