Which PF should the Bulls target?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Which PF should the Bulls target? 

Post#1 » by logical_art » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:30 am

So the Bulls have a massive hole at PF. Patrick Williams, who is a good fit there, will only be back around the end of the season. In the meantime they're playing guards at the spot. Even when Williams is back, they need more frontcourt depth.

Assuming they want to go bargain shopping and not trade Coby or PWill, what kind of semi useful player could they get? Defending PFs and rebounding would be the priority, everything else gravy. Someone who can do ok on D vs Giannis would be especially useful.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Re: Which PF should the Bulls target? 

Post#2 » by shrink » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 am

Not a lot of trade assets? Defense and rebounding a priority?

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2139687
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#3 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 am

shrink wrote:Not a lot of trade assets? Defense and rebounding a priority?

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2139687

The Bulls are filthy rich with 6'4''-6'6'' dudes who can defend. Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso, Derrick Jones, Javonte Green, Ayo Dousunmu. The profile the Bulls lack is the 6'9''ish dude with 7'4'' wing span who is better than Alize Johnson (aka Patrick Williams healthy). Okogie probably isn't the guy.

The Bulls are a borderline elite team right now(a bit to the shock of myself and probably most everyone reading this board). So these are very much first world problems. But ultimately I and several of my fellow Bulls fans have been pounding the Chris Boucher drum for a minute now. Coby White was the guy I've been willing to offer up for a guy like that. Perhaps some draft capital is necessary one way or the other. But in genearl size/length (6'8'' with wing span beyond that) is the "PF" skill set the Bulls would theoretically be looking for. But IMO it's Coby and Troy Brown and perhaps some remaining draft capital as the assets available for such a player. Okogie IMO is a lesser version of Javonte Green and thus just not worth it to the Bulls.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:35 am

Boucher/Clarke are probably the two guys to consider if you're not willing to part with serious assets. Maybe Anderson if he can't get back in the groove with Memphis.

Kenrich Williams is an option, but I think a step below what I'd be looking for.

I can see Clarke being more interesting due to his pretty good contract. I'd like Anderson the most as a player. Any really would be fine, price is probably the biggest factor based off OP.
I bought a boat.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#5 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:26 am

Bulls don't have draft capital, depends on what value White brings back
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#6 » by Saul Goodman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Jerami Grant or Christian Wood are right in the value wheelhouse. Detroit and Houston are one of the clearly top 5 pick teams so adding another top pick in Williams along with their 2022 lotto pick helps supercharge their rebuilds.

Williams
Jones Jr
Portland 1st

For

Wood

Or

Williams
Jones JR
Troy brown JR
Portland 1st

For

Jeremi Grant
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#7 » by ChettheJet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:32 pm

They're slightly better than I thought they would be when the season started. Starting the season without Coby White didn't help.

They had signed Alize Johnson and gotten Derrick Jones jr in a trade so the PF position actually looked to be covered. But when Williams went down Johnson hadn't looked like the answer and DJJ had hardly played. They had Tyler Cook and brought over SRP Marko Simonovic but since they didn't get in a game you had to know they weren't going to help. Still they weren't in bad shape.

When Vucevic sat for COVID thongs looked bleak. Johnson was no more a center than he was a PF and Tony Bradley wasn't in shape after being hurt. But somehow they managed, Bradley is acceptable as a short term starter and will be good off the bench. Jones came up better than expected, first Green then Caruso gave it ll they had playing the 4 in a double team the mismatch all hands kind of defense.

But as of now they've exceeded what I thought the short handed team could do. DeRozan has joined Lavine as an at least 25 point scorer, Ball being a real floor leader and defense really showing up they should be able to hold their own until they get to full strength. With Coby White back, Vucevic to the getting his stamina back stage they could use help at the PF BUT they sure don't need to be giving up P Williams or White to get it. As well as they have played as a unit I don't even want to give up that PORT pick.

They need a stop gap for the rest of the season, I think they could get by with DJJ starting and some new veteran to back him up. The fact that they haven't made any kind of deal tells me that they have their eye on some guys they expect to be bought out who would come to a Top 5 team for some exemption they have.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#8 » by LAL1947 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Is there any way Dallas can get Patrick Williams in a multi-team deal?

Not sure who/how but thinking something along the lines of:
1) PWill to the Mavs.
2) Mavs send anyone not named Luka, Porzingis, THJ, Kleber, DFS, Bullock, Brunson to 3rd team.
3) 3rd team sends PF of choice to the Bulls.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#9 » by eminence » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 pm

LAL1947 wrote:Is there any way Dallas can get Patrick Williams in a multi-team deal?

1) PWill to the Mavs.
2) Mavs send anyone not named Luka, Porzingis, THJ, Kleber, DFS, Bullock, Brunson to 3rd team.

Tough sell, at that point the Dallas offer is likely Powell+1st, and I'm not sure why any team would take that over Williams.

Edit: They could do a little better value than Powell by cobbling together pieces, eg WCS/Green/1st. But I still don't think you could find a team that'd prefer that to Williams.
I bought a boat.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:00 pm

LAL1947 wrote:Is there any way Dallas can get Patrick Williams in a multi-team deal?

1) PWill to the Mavs.

So Dallas gets a guy you believe to have value, but gives up no players you value? And the soonest Dallas can trade a 1st round pick is 4 years out.

I'm going with no. Dallas really has no place trying to shoehorn into a Williams for a PF deal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#11 » by Frichuela » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm

Do the Bulls value Kuzma or Bertans as their right now answer to PF?

How about:

Coby White + D Jones Jr + Portland's 2022 1st (Top 14 protected) for Kuzma + Holiday?

or

Bertans+Todd for Coby White + D Jones Jr.
Texas Chuck

Post#12 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Frichuela wrote:Do the Bulls value Kuzma or Bertans as their right now answer to PF?

How about:

Coby White + D Jones Jr + Portland's 2022 1st (Top 14 protected) for Kuzma + Holiday?

or

Kuzma makes sense for Chicago, but I don't have him worth White and a 1st. Take the first out and I think its about right. I also struggle to see the Wizards trading him for fair value when they are playing so well and he's a high minute starter for them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 361

Post#13 » by Xman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:18 pm

On the cheap: Bagley, Okeke, Toppin
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#14 » by Blazinaway » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:23 pm

be tempted to offer Roco but I don't think Bulls have a piece Portland needs that makes sense, maybe a 3rd team?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#15 » by Skybox » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Bagley, to me, seems like a target worth discussing…price should be very low, upside high…I’d keep him if I were SAC, and see if Walton was the issue.

As an ORL fan, Chuma Okeke comes to mind…but I don’t see anyone on CHI I’d consider trading him for.
Texas Chuck

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:32 pm

Blazinaway wrote:be tempted to offer Roco but I don't think Bulls have a piece Portland needs that makes sense, maybe a 3rd team?

Getting your own pick has some merits if you are punting on the season. Or if you are potentially wanting to make a bigger move.

But it would require a chance of mind of Portland at least and likely Chicago too or why wasn't this the original deal involving Nance?

But purely from a basketball sense, he does make a good target.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#17 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 pm

If the Kings continue to fall..Barnes seems like a very good target..I also think Ingles would be a great fit.
1+1=11
logical_art
RealGM

Post#18 » by logical_art » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 pm

The Bulls lack roster depth and have PWill coming back this season hopefully. Additionally, their 1-4 starting scorers are good offensively. So I don't think they should give up any real assets - they basically just need a defensive/rebounding minded proper sized PF who can give them what Caruso or J Green do as starters offensively. Then that player will move to the bench when PWill is back.

I wouldn't trade Coby because they need his offense off the bench.

So basically it's what's the best piece they can get for low value players (maybe Simonovic + Troy Brown Jr + a second round pick). I'm not sure if that would be enough to bring back Clarke, but that's the kind of trade I think the Bulls should look to make.
logical_art
RealGM

Post#19 » by logical_art » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Frichuela wrote:Do the Bulls value Kuzma or Bertans as their right now answer to PF?

How about:

or

The don't need offense at the PF position. They need a dirty work guy who can slow down PFs and prevent them from getting killed on the glass (Their biggest team weakness right now).
logical_art
RealGM

Post#20 » by logical_art » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Larry Nance Jr might be a good fit. Could he be had on the cheap?

Return to Trades and Transactions