Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Re: Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real 

Post#1581 » by micromonkey » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:24 am

Susan wrote:How the hell do you lose to the Ravens without Lamar.

By not being able to play call or develop an offense that any QB we've ever had has ever been able to run to an NFL average level, by a coach who consistently gives up on the run and has some narrow view of a "system" that has never, ever worked.

This had Nagy's personal scent written all over it. Fields looked chained to the pocket on plays he would have taken off when Nagy was out. All deep routes again 15 yards average depth of target for Fields, yet again--is this developing a guy? Not a screen pass in sight, 1 pass to a RB as well as totally giving up on the run. No flow or rhythm found. Dalton did play OK but still was a 50% completion rate--so we are just killing it on the scheme and play-calling. Joe bag o donuts QB out of Baltimore, who likely will never play a full game again in his life, finished with 72% and probably had more YAC from his receivers in this game than the sum total of 1/3 the bears entire season. Every Joe nobody will turn into Clint Longley against the Bears, having their best day ever.

Also I love now that Monty is back we just are gonna run him nonstop--not platoon him with Herbert--seems genius. Also 69 yards rushing from backs today--awesome. Fields added 28. Nice way to give up on the run to ensure you lose time of possession. It takes a special coach to have the 6th best rushing attack in yards in the NFL and to trick the other team and not use it--aha--fooled ya!

I seriously think if you had a Madden CPU on a console call plays you would get a better outcome.

I hope Fields is not seriously hurt but at this point I don't want to play him until Nagy is gone. I don't think whatever we are doing is really working. Nagy is only going to develop dumb habits and not fix his issues.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#1582 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:36 am

A Lions win is a Bears (fan) win on Thanksgiving (especially if we're going out there without Fields). The Dinosaurs at Halas hall have been out of touch for a solid decade now so we simply can't expect anything proactive from them. But the more embarrassment that is continued to stack on this franchise the harder it will be for even the oldest and blindest of crypt keeper ownership to not comprehend.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1583 » by Susan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:32 am

micromonkey wrote:
Susan wrote:How the hell do you lose to the Ravens without Lamar.

By not being able to play call or develop an offense that any QB we've ever had has ever been able to run to an NFL average level, by a coach who consistently gives up on the run and has some narrow view of a "system" that has never, ever worked.

This had Nagy's personal scent written all over it. Fields looked chained to the pocket on plays he would have taken off when Nagy was out. All deep routes again 15 yards average depth of target for Fields, yet again--is this developing a guy? Not a screen pass in sight, 1 pass to a RB as well as totally giving up on the run. No flow or rhythm found. Dalton did play OK but still was a 50% completion rate--so we are just killing it on the scheme and play-calling. Joe bag o donuts QB out of Baltimore, who likely will never play a full game again in his life, finished with 72% and probably had more YAC from his receivers in this game than the sum total of 1/3 the bears entire season. Every Joe nobody will turn into Clint Longley against the Bears, having their best day ever.

Also I love now that Monty is back we just are gonna run him nonstop--not platoon him with Herbert--seems genius. Also 69 yards rushing from backs today--awesome. Fields added 28. Nice way to give up on the run to ensure you lose time of possession. It takes a special coach to have the 6th best rushing attack in yards in the NFL and to trick the other team and not use it--aha--fooled ya!

I seriously think if you had a Madden CPU on a console call plays you would get a better outcome.

I hope Fields is not seriously hurt but at this point I don't want to play him until Nagy is gone. I don't think whatever we are doing is really working. Nagy is only going to develop dumb habits and not fix his issues.

They've done an absolutely terrible job of getting the RBs involved in the passing game. There's a complete lack of talent outside of Mooney in the WR room right now and Monty/Herbert are really plus RBs and they just week after week refuse to get them involved. Part of this might be on Fields - he really didn't do any screen game stuff at OSU but that just seems to be an odd thing to find difficulty in.

If Fields is out a few weeks, it would be a good time to bench Peters and see what we have in Jenkins at either side of the line.

This Nagy offense has looked like it was stuck in neutral so many times - no matter who the QB has been.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#1584 » by fleet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Looks like Nagy’s 5 man Protection schemes could have finally broken Justin.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#1585 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:59 pm

This franchise is a complete embarrassment. I would have no problem if every single coach, executive, and player was replaced. Just tear this thing down to the studs and hopefully a new regime could build this team into a competitor by the time it moves to Arlington Heights.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#1586 » by Dresden » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:This franchise is a complete embarrassment. I would have no problem if every single coach, executive, and player was replaced. Just tear this thing down to the studs and hopefully a new regime could build this team into a competitor by the time it moves to Arlington Heights.

bingo. They are going nowhere. They need a fresh approach just like the Bulls did. Once they cleared out the dead wood, look how quickly the Bulls have become relevant again.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,059

Post#1587 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Now that the season appears to be over at least for those that were still hanging onto a sliver of hope, we might as well just let Nagy go. The quicker we get him and his philosophies out the better.

I know I've turned into quite the Nagy hater but I started out as one of the biggest supporters and was elated to get him as our coach. But what my eyes have seen cannot support those feelings anymore. He just confuses the crap out of me.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#1588 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:51 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Now that the season appears to be over at least for those that were still hanging onto a sliver of hope, we might as well just let Nagy go. The quicker we get him and his philosophies out the better.

I know I've turned into quite the Nagy hater but I started out as one of the biggest supporters and was elated to get him as our coach. But what my eyes have seen cannot support those feelings anymore. He just confuses the crap out of me.

I want Nagy gone but I haven't been someone super vocal about it. Until now. He has to go. Yesterday's debacle was the last straw.

After the Bears scored late in the 4th, the obvious decision was to go for two. Apparently basic math alluded him because Andy Dalton had to tell him that they should go for two. By then too much time had run off the clock, so we had to burn a timeout, which could have come in handy over the next two possessions.

This is on top of the timeout he burned having to take the punt team off the field, when that should have been the obvious decision from the get go.

Nagy just seems in way over his head. The game goes by too fast for him and he seems clueless on what to do.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1589 » by MalagaBulls » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:58 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Now that the season appears to be over at least for those that were still hanging onto a sliver of hope, we might as well just let Nagy go. The quicker we get him and his philosophies out the better.

I want Nagy gone but I haven't been someone super vocal about it. Until now. He has to go. Yesterday's debacle was the last straw.

After the Bears scored late in the 4th, the obvious decision was to go for two. Apparently basic math alluded him because Andy Dalton had to tell him that they should go for two. By then too much time had run off the clock, so we had to burn a timeout, which could have come in handy over the next two possessions.

This is on top of the timeout he burned having to take the punt team off the field, when that should have been the obvious decision from the get go.

Nagy just seems in way over his head. The game goes by too fast for him and he seems clueless on what to do.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-matt-nagy-robert-quinn-20211122-orqudqwp6fhxvf4hyf3ir2m76q-story.html

And even more baffling is the complete cowardly silence we are getting from the FO all the way to the top. This tired & lame clown show Nagy spits out presser after presser is way past its' expiration date (From the article) :

Predictably, the Bears pulled out all of the convenient talking points about quickly flipping the page and looking in the mirror and gearing up for the next game with the right mindset. But at 3-7 and winless since Oct. 10, the hopelessness is intensifying.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#1590 » by dice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 am

8 teams now at .500 or better in NFC. bears finally left for dead. hoping to get mauled by lions to put us out of our misery. only thing left to watch is whether we'll be able to judge this as more than just a lost season for justin fields

asked about the status of fields's injury (injuries?) today, matt nagy responds "we're still gathering the facts"
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1591 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 am

dice wrote:8 teams now at .500 or better in NFC. bears finally left for dead. hoping to get mauled by lions to put us out of our misery. only thing left to watch is whether we'll be able to judge this as more than just a lost season for justin fields

asked about the status of fields's injury (injuries?) today, matt nagy responds "we're still gathering the facts"

A topic today in Chicago sports was how fortunate it is the Bears lost Sunday so they couldn’t fool themselves or the fans any longer about the season not being over.

Andy Dalton starts Thursday. Officially permission to ignore the game pretty much. If the Bears are losing it might be entertaining enough to watch considering possible fallout on Pace/Nagy. Or if Jenkins got on the field, which seems unlikely.

I am very curious the play that Jusin got hurt on, which the Bears seemingly are keeping under wraps for some reason.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#1592 » by dice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:20 am

fleet wrote:
dice wrote:8 teams now at .500 or better in NFC. bears finally left for dead. hoping to get mauled by lions to put us out of our misery. only thing left to watch is whether we'll be able to judge this as more than just a lost season for justin fields

A topic today in Chicago sports was how fortunate it is the Bears lost Sunday so they couldn’t fool themselves or the fans any longer about the season not being over.

Andy Dalton starts Thursday. Officially permission to ignore the game pretty much. If the Bears are losing it might be entertaining enough to watch considering possible fallout on Pace/Nagy. Or if Jenkins got on the field, which seems unlikely.

I am very curious the play that Jusin got hurt on, which the Bears seemingly are keeping under wraps for some reason.

no need to awkwardly say "uh, can i turn on the bears game" at the folks' house on thursday
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1593 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Bernstein is reporting second hand that Nagy will be fired after Lions game. Nagy was informed Mon
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1594 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Guy is ex Sun Times with a Pulitzer fwiw
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#1595 » by MAQ » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Informed he'll coach one more game? But still fired mid season?
How much more awkward can this franchise get?

If this team was a professionally run organization, this report was a leak to sniff out a person who talks too much. Or the info was misquoted and hes been informed he'll be let go at year's end. I just cant understand giving him one more game.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,059

Post#1596 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Just glad they realize he needs to go.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#1597 » by Almost Retired » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:21 pm

fleet wrote:Bernstein is reporting second hand that Nagy will be fired after Lions game. Nagy was informed Mon

It can't happen soon enough. He's not the offensive genius that he was touted to be. He can't scheme to fit his roster. He's perhaps the worst sideline head coach in the entire league. He seems baffled far too often. And he's shown no growth during his entire tenure. He is in way over his head. Being on Andy Reed's staff made him look better than he is. But getting rid of Nagy is just one thing than needs to happen. Getting rid of Pace is even more important. Pace is good for drafting from the 3rd round to the bottom of the draft. He overpays in every trade he makes. He produced this pitiful offensive line roster, then they threw Fields to the wolves behind it. I hope Fields sits the rest of this wasted season. And I hope we have a new GM that can draft and otherwise acquire a real O-Line in the off season. They need to fix the trenches before we try to upgrade the WR corp which is also sorely needed.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1598 » by Susan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:45 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
fleet wrote:Bernstein is reporting second hand that Nagy will be fired after Lions game. Nagy was informed Mon

It can't happen soon enough. He's not the offensive genius that he was touted to be. He can't scheme to fit his roster. He's perhaps the worst sideline head coach in the entire league. He seems baffled far too often. And he's shown no growth during his entire tenure. He is in way over his head. Being on Andy Reed's staff made him look better than he is. But getting rid of Nagy is just one thing than needs to happen. Getting rid of Pace is even more important. Pace is good for drafting from the 3rd round to the bottom of the draft. He overpays in every trade he makes. He produced this pitiful offensive line roster, then they threw Fields to the wolves behind it. I hope Fields sits the rest of this wasted season. And I hope we have a new GM that can draft and otherwise acquire a real O-Line in the off season. They need to fix the trenches before we try to upgrade the WR corp which is also sorely needed.

The o-line is ranked in the top 10. They were terrible against Cleveland/TB but it's been good otherwise.

Borom/Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels/Jenkins by the end of the year would be something. Keep Bars/Peters for depth/mentorship.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 314

Post#1599 » by JockItch43 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

We have a friend who knows his family very well. Last night they told us Fields has two broken ribs.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#1600 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:41 pm

If Fields got really hurt, I place it at the feet of the completely incompetent coach, GM, and offensive line, all of whom have no idea what they’re doing.

I know it’s very unorthodox, but if I’m Fields I’m not sure why I’d want to play for this franchise. He should try and get out however he can.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls