ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,722

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1401 » by Guano » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:28 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:The 76ers knew to flip MCW right away. Knicks too stupid and tried to make Maplefrid Payton a core piece. Knicks stay suckjng at drafting and strategy

They flipped him for more picks which turned into more busts

Lets be real. If we flip RJ for picks we will either draft a bust or complain when that guy goes into a slump too. Nobody has the stomach for young players around here

tbf most of our youth suck or are rapist - so we aren't to blame here.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#1402 » by nedleeds » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm

robillionaire wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Yep.. and a lot of Knick fans try to justify it and grasp for straws at things RJ might possibly excel at because of the fact he was the number 3 pick and they don’t want him to be a bad pick. But fact of the matter is he was. He’s not really good. If Knox was given the same amount of playing time we’d probably see very little difference in quality of play between the two.. at least I feel confident if Knox got the same looks from 3 as RJ he’d cash out 9/10. We’re not even gonna mention driving to the hoop because RJ is not good at that and his defense is inconsistent

Yes/no on trading him for the following players almost straight up:

Cam Reddish (injured, looks lost most nights, but might be Marvin Williams)
DeAndre Hunter (injured alot also, but looks like he can do 2 things at an NBA level)
Kevin Heurter (healthy, played well in the playoffs, has gone from below league TS% and EFG to above average efficiency on 8 3p FGAs a game)
PJ Washington
Avdija
Okoro

again maybe duping them into throwing in a pick as well would be a cherry on top

The dream is we eat a **** shyte sandwich contract like Wall and trade the farm for Jalen Green. But that's not happening.

No
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes

I would try to package both Mitch and RJ for something. Either some kind of journeyman vet wing or a late first rounder or packaged to get rid of a bad contract like Fournier. We just need to get rid of them before we have to pay them something. We aren't getting any young talented players so get that idea out of your head quick. I'd send RJ Mitch and 3 future unprotected firsts for Tyler Herro but the heat would laugh and hang up

Yeah I avoided laughable trades like Herro, Scottie Barnes, etc..
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#1403 » by nedleeds » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:The 76ers knew to flip MCW right away. Knicks too stupid and tried to make Maplefrid Payton a core piece. Knicks stay suckjng at drafting and strategy

Lets be real. If we flip RJ for picks we will either draft a bust or complain when that guy goes into a slump too. Nobody has the stomach for young players around here

Never forget Rapestaps Rapezingis.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#1404 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:39 pm

Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

True, I did mention we would probably just draft another bust. As bad as he has played so far, RJ is still one of the better guys we drafted in recent years
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,722

Post#1405 » by Guano » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

True, I did mention we would probably just draft another bust. As bad as he has played so far, RJ is still one of the better guys we drafted in recent years

which is honestly really impressive considering how long we've been bad.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#1406 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Is he a worse prospect than Tim hardaway jr?
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#1407 » by DaGawd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Guano wrote:

Yep. Which is why I can trust tanking as a absolute solution for this franchise given our track record with making picks in the lottery..
BaF
Washington Wizards
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#1408 » by DaGawd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:44 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Is he a worse prospect than Tim hardaway jr?

Honestly…. That’s a tough one.. they’re probably neck and neck
BaF
Washington Wizards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,172

Post#1409 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:If we traded RJ for a future pick

We flipped KP before he was up for his fat contract. Would you have risked paying him or attempting to sign and trade?

If we’re not going to commit to RJ it is probably best to move him sooner than later.

I am ok with trading anyone in the right deal. Really depends what we can get. I wouldnt sell low on RJ though. He'll break out of this slump eventually.

I am glad we didnt lock up KP. That had more to do with his attitude and injury. Every case is kinda different. Some young players get moved and work out well, other's don't. Sixers also moved on from Jrue Holiday and Jerami who both look good now so it can go both ways

I do think he will break out of his slump and if we are going to move him then we should get him back on track and keep his value up
ImageImageImage
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1410 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Guano wrote:

It really is. Oh well, hopefully it gets better. Just want to see anyone break the Charlie Ward curse. Its not like we do much better in free agency.
Mavs
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#1411 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:51 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Is he a worse prospect than Tim hardaway jr?

Actually, yes
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1412 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
We flipped KP before he was up for his fat contract. Would you have risked paying him or attempting to sign and trade?

If we’re not going to commit to RJ it is probably best to move him sooner than later.

I am ok with trading anyone in the right deal. Really depends what we can get. I wouldnt sell low on RJ though. He'll break out of this slump eventually.

I am glad we didnt lock up KP. That had more to do with his attitude and injury. Every case is kinda different. Some young players get moved and work out well, other's don't. Sixers also moved on from Jrue Holiday and Jerami who both look good now so it can go both ways

I do think he will break out of his slump and if we are going to move him then we should get him back on track and keep his value up

Sometimes players back bounce even stronger after these types of slumps. I think he's going to bounce back strong. Either way think you have to hold rather then sell low. We ain't getting much right now for anyone. Think he's still someone to keep long term but we will see
Mavs
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,172

Post#1413 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Sometimes players back bounce even stronger after these types of slumps. I think he's going to bounce back strong. Either way think you have to hold rather then sell low. We ain't getting much right now for anyone. Think he's still someone to keep long term but we will see

Hope you’re correct

RJ is not the kind of talent who can make any roster better. He has to fit the personnel which is not the case in the current starting unit IMO. So he can be a good player with the right fit, but it means he needs the right situation to thrive
ImageImageImage
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,539

Post#1414 » by ctorres » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:25 pm

Is RJ playing hurt? I'm looking at his game logs now.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/gamelog/2022

October 20th to October 26th (4 games)
12.0 ppg, 39.1% fg's (11.5 fga/g), 26.1% 3pt fg's (5.8 3pa/g), 60.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

October 28th to November 5th (5 games)
25.0 ppg, 51.7% fg's (17.4 fga/g), 50.0% 3pt fg's (6.4 3pa/g), 79.2% ft's (4.8 fta/g)

November 7th - November 21st (8 games)
10.1 ppg, 28.0% fg's (13.4 fga/g), 17.5% 3pt fg's (5.0 3pa/g), 70.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

So what exactly happened to RJ between November 5th and November 7th? When I look at the game logs, the drop off is clear.

Did he hurt his shooting hand? Is he not getting much lift from his legs? I think something physically happened to him. It cannot just be mental or the opposing scouting reports figuring him out. I don't think it's the way our offense is running either.

Also, from October 20th to November 5th (9 games), RJ was getting 35.4 minutes per game. From Novmber 7th to November 21st (8 games), RJ has been getting 29.9 minutes per game.

So the Knicks have cut his playing time down by 5 and a half minutes during the latest stretch of games. I'm guessing he is still healthy enough to play defense in Thibs' eyes, which is why he still gets a lot of minutes, but he is not healthy enough to produce on the offensive end.

It has been an entirety of TWO WEEKS that RJ's shooting has been atrocious and god awful. He has not shot above 38% in a single game since November 5th. There has to be something physically wrong with him, there just has to be.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1415 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Hope you’re correct

RJ is not the kind of talent who can make any roster better. He has to fit the personnel which is not the case in the current starting unit IMO. So he can be a good player with the right fit, but it means he needs the right situation to thrive

That's a good point and fit is a big issue right now. Not to excuse RJ cause he can still play much better but the starters 1 thru 4 have all been playing bad and it just snow balls down. Our chemistry has been bad and it makes everyone look worse.

Def fair to question the long term outloook and plan. What we are trying to build and who fits into that
Mavs
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#1416 » by DaGawd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 pm

ctorres wrote:Is RJ playing hurt? I'm looking at his game logs now.

12.0 ppg, 39.1% fg's (11.5 fga/g), 26.1% 3pt fg's (5.8 3pa/g), 60.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

25.0 ppg, 51.7% fg's (17.4 fga/g), 50.0% 3pt fg's (6.4 3pa/g), 79.2% ft's (4.8 fta/g)

10.1 ppg, 28.0% fg's (13.4 fga/g), 17.5% 3pt fg's (5.0 3pa/g), 70.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

So what exactly happened to RJ between November 5th and November 7th? When I look at the game logs, the drop off is clear.

Did he hurt his shooting hand? Is he not getting much lift from his legs? I think something physically happened to him. It cannot just be mental or the opposing scouting reports figuring him out. I don't think it's the way our offense is running either.

Also, from October 20th to November 5th (9 games), RJ was getting 35.4 minutes per game. From Novmber 7th to November 21st (8 games), RJ has been getting 29.9 minutes per game.

So the Knicks have cut his playing time down by 5 and a half minutes during the latest stretch of games. I'm guessing he is still healthy enough to play defense in Thibs' eyes, which is why he still gets a lot of minutes, but he is not healthy enough to produce on the offensive end.

It has been an entirety of TWO WEEKS that RJ's shooting has been atrocious and god awful. He has not shot above 38% in a single game since November 5th. There has to be something physically wrong with him, there just has to be.

He’s physically ass
BaF
Washington Wizards
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,022

Post#1417 » by TerrenceClarke » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:28 am

Live Look at Drew Hanlen after talking mad schit about RJ's so called ascension earlier in the season.....

Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#1418 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36 am

TheProfessor wrote:I don't know what to make of him, to be honest. I just don't think he is that talented. Athletically he is very fluid but has a poor handle. He can kinda get up, he isnt fast nor is he slow and he is big but lacks awareness sometimes. I like that he doesn't expend energy chucking but he really play defense or make plays. He can kinda shot but not really, he is perplexing.

End of the day, I think he gets to point were he becomes a great 3rd option with glaring holes in his game kind, kinda like a Derozan.
It's funny considering his mother was a runner and his father was a leaper.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,592

Post#1419 » by knicksNOTslick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:50 am

ctorres wrote:Is RJ playing hurt? I'm looking at his game logs now.

The blown layup last game was telling. Almost like he could barely get up just to lay it in. Couldn't even finish strong. He must be playing through something but if that's the case, he should sit and rest a few games.

I haven't given up on RJ, i think he'll be fine in the long run as a 3rd option. He's already shown some improvement on D and he's still young so he can def turn it around.

I don't want none of the posters who jumped ship to jump back on once he actually gets back to playing decent. It's crazy how impatient Knicks fans are. You would think we're a contending team the way people are so quick to give up on our youth.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1420 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 am

Start the poll all over again to get a RT gauge on it.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.

Return to New York Knicks