ImageImageImageImage

When is Isaac Returning? Ruled out for the entire 2021-2022 season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#261 » by JTG_92940618 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:16 am

This tweet has been making the rounds on Twitter. Apparently, it's legit.

EDIT: So it's MCW, on some discord about those NFT's. He says that JI should be back "hopefully around January".

Read on Twitter
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#262 » by Magic_Kingdom » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:37 pm

basketballRob wrote:Isaac didn't choose to take his time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

And you know this how? That is a rather definitive statement when no one else seems to know anything. Do you have inside information? Or are you just basing it on something Isaac said to a reporter about being healthy and ready to go? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that you always defend Isaac with such definitive certainty.

The weirdest thing to me is the team's continued silence. When Chuma was recovering, the team posted video of him working out and trying to come back. The team posts video of Fultz working out and trying to come back. Where is Isaac? What is he doing? Has he progressed to contact work after 16 months? If not, why not? What is the timeline? Was there a setback?
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#263 » by Magic_Kingdom » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:47 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Posted on Reddit:

WCJ speaks about Fultz and JI. Kinda sounds like Fultz is closer to returning than JI (WCJ mentions Fultz is practicing, only mentions JI getting treatment).

https://streamable.com/pi3dxa

So if Isaac isn't even practicing, that is obviously concerning. At this point I think Fultz will return before JI.

Management re-signed him for 4 years, $17.4 million per year, while he was injured last season. Can you imagine if this were New York, Boston, Chicago or L.A., and the team's highest-paid player was out for a second straight season with no timeline for return because of an injury that averages a 9-month recovery time? The media and fans would be demanding answers.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,664

Post#264 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:

And you know this how? That is a rather definitive statement when no one else seems to know anything. Do you have inside information? Or are you just basing it on something Isaac said to a reporter about being healthy and ready to go? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that you always defend Isaac with such definitive certainty.

The weirdest thing to me is the team's continued silence. When Chuma was recovering, the team posted video of him working out and trying to come back. The team posts video of Fultz working out and trying to come back. Where is Isaac? What is he doing? Has he progressed to contact work after 16 months? If not, why not? What is the timeline? Was there a setback?
No one has ever questioned his work ethic other than random fans that have no knowledge of the situation.

Find one article to back your claims? Or do you just want to make false accusations without any merit?

Weltman already said that he won't put timetables on injuries and it doesn't matter what random fans think.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,216

Post#265 » by pepe1991 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:41 pm

Lol... just lol

Jabari Parker first ACL tear - 9 months rehab
Jabari Parker second ACL tear- 9 months rehab
Jeremy Lamb acl tear + meniscus tear - 9 months rehab
David West ACL tear at age of 31 -return within a year
Kendrick Perkins- return from ACL tear in 6 months

Only player who recovered longer is Derrick Rose. Guy who's never been the same after all those injuries. Matter of fact, at average, after ACL tear, his playing like 36 games a year since.

Isaac had hyperxstended knee injury that should have kept him 8 weeks. 8 weeks turned into 8 months and led to ACL tear on non contact injury that now takes 16+ months to recover.
It's clear his knees are demaged for good. Squeezing 200 games out of his 4 years contract would be miracle at this stage.

We talk about 5th year player who's min total are collected by average sophmore player by the end of regular season.

This is why you don't give players with major injuries guaranteed, 4 years contracts. This is why Nuggets are now probably screaming in front office at GM and president of basketball operations after successfully wasting Jokić's career on disaster called "Porter's exstension". You simply DON'T ATTACH BIG MONEY TO INJURY PRONE PLAYERS. I mean, you can, but you know damn well how that will age.

Also, Isaac, turning 25 next season, will never have chance to get better at anything. Every hope for his growth and development pretty much was killed off with this injuries .

And no, i don't give a damn what he does in his free time, but it seems he has enough time for everything but basketball , same was with Rose. Rose even said that he has no intention to kill himself on the floor to be crippled for his baby son later in career. Isaac got married, wrote book, is doing interviews with people who share his political views and even said in public that there are bigger things in life than basketball... Basketball might not be that important to him as much as you hope. Did that impact return? Probably not, but also doesn't help.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#266 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:47 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Lol... just lol

Jabari Parker first ACL tear - 9 months rehab
Jabari Parker second ACL tear- 9 months rehab
Jeremy Lamb acl tear + meniscus tear - 9 months rehab
David West ACL tear at age of 31 -return within a year
Kendrick Perkins- return from ACL tear in 6 months

Only player who recovered longer is Derrick Rose. Guy who's never been the same after all those injuries. Matter of fact, at average, after ACL tear, his playing like 36 games a year since.

Isaac had hyperxstended knee injury that should have kept him 8 weeks. 8 weeks turned into 8 months and led to ACL tear on non contact injury that now takes 16+ months to recover.
It's clear his knees are demaged for good. Squeezing 200 games out of his 4 years contract would be miracle at this stage.

We talk about 5th year player who's min total are collected by average sophmore player by the end of regular season.

This is why you don't give players with major injuries guaranteed, 4 years contracts. This is why Nuggets are now probably screaming in front office at GM and president of basketball operations after successfully wasting Jokić's career on disaster called "Porter's exstension". You simply DON'T ATTACH BIG MONEY TO INJURY PRONE PLAYERS. I mean, you can, but you know damn well how that will age.
It's not always bad to give contracts to a player that's had injuries early in his career. Plenty of players have had ACL injuries and went on to have great careers.

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#267 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Going from 8 weeks to 8 months for his hyperextended knee was the first red flag for me that Isaac's main priority wasn't getting on the court. Maybe I'm misremembering but I remember he had an option to get surgery for this injury to get on the court faster but opted to not get the surgery - and then a typical return of 4-6 weeks went to 8 weeks and then to 8 months.

Now going from a typical rehab of 9-12 months to 16 months+ is the second red flag. All while making some odd media rounds.

The main issue (besides potentially being injury-prone) is that JI has to continually work to get back to where he was as a player instead of working on new things and expanding his game. So even if he had a crazy high ceiling on draft night, each prolonged injury makes that way less likely to happen because he's rehabbing to get back to where he was prior to the injury, which, quite frankly, was an average role player for a good NBA team.

It will be interesting when Fultz comes back before JI and Fultz was injured 5 months after JI.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#268 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:53 pm

If Isaac comes back in December will he have enough games to qualify to be the DPOY?
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,623

Post#269 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:

I have not been keeping up with what Orlando has posted but I remember him practicing with the team during training camp. Not sure if he tweaked something after that.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,623

Post#270 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Going from 8 weeks to 8 months for his hyperextended knee was the first red flag for me that Isaac's main priority wasn't getting on the court. Maybe I'm misremembering but I remember he had an option to get surgery for this injury to get on the court faster but opted to not get the surgery - and then a typical return of 4-6 weeks went to 8 weeks and then to 8 months.

Now going from a typical rehab of 9-12 months to 16 months+ is the second red flag. All while making some odd media rounds.

The main issue (besides potentially being injury-prone) is that JI has to continually work to get back to where he was as a player instead of working on new things and expanding his game. So even if he had a crazy high ceiling on draft night, each prolonged injury makes that way less likely to happen because he's rehabbing to get back to where he was prior to the injury, which, quite frankly, was an average role player for a good NBA team.

It will be interesting when Fultz comes back before JI and Fultz was injured 5 months after JI.

The team opted not to get surgery on his first injury in January of 2020. He came back 8 months later to play in the bubble. He re-injured the same knee and the team elected for surgery. Not sure if he has been having setbacks because it is the same knee.

Also we have no idea what he is working on. Why would we assume he is not working to get back on the court? I don’t understand your logic with him.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#271 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:04 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:

I have not been keeping up with what Orlando has posted but I remember him practicing with the team during training camp. Not sure if he tweaked something after that.
I've only heard that he has had no setbacks. It's just easier to speculate on the negative.

penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,529

Post#272 » by penny_nz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:50 pm

JTG_92940618 wrote:This tweet has been making the rounds on Twitter. Apparently, it's legit.

EDIT: So it's MCW, on some discord about those NFT's. He says that JI should be back "hopefully around January".

Read on Twitter

Hopefully around January ... that would be 18 months plus by that point, that's nuts, that's like double the "average" (I know not all injuries are made the same) ACL recovery time
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#273 » by pepe1991 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 pm

basketballRob wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:

I've only heard that he has had no setbacks. It's just easier to speculate on the negative.

Pointing out he is already out at least 4 months longer than normally injury rehab takes time isn't negativity. It's pointing out obvious.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,577

Post#274 » by Skybox » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:17 pm

penny_nz wrote:
JTG_92940618 wrote:This tweet has been making the rounds on Twitter. Apparently, it's legit.

Read on Twitter

Hopefully around January ... that would be 18 months plus by that point, that's nuts, that's like double the "average" (I know not all injuries are made the same) ACL recovery time

It’s not like I don’t share all the concerns but I don’t think Pepe strengthens his case by comparing to Jabari Parker’s quick turnaround, considering that, due to his knees, he’s a shell of the high draft pick player he was expected to become.

Over the last few years, WeHam has been agonizingly consistent about dragging out rehab…may be since wins really don’t help, in the bigger picture.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#275 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:41 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I have not been keeping up with what Orlando has posted but I remember him practicing with the team during training camp. Not sure if he tweaked something after that.

Pointing out he is already out at least 4 months longer than normally injury rehab takes time isn't negativity. It's pointing out obvious.
Yes and everyone speculated that they would let him rehabilitate longer because it doesn't really matter this season.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#276 » by pepe1991 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I've only heard that he has had no setbacks. It's just easier to speculate on the negative.

Yes and everyone speculated that they would let him rehabilitate longer because it doesn't really matter this season.

Might as well sit him until 2024 than
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#277 » by OrlandO » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 pm

Who cares if he's out 14 months or 18 months. Two bad injuries to the same knee... one more and his magic career is over. The team also probably cares more about lottery placement than wins this season. Makes sense to take it ultra slow and let him build up his strength and conditioning as much as possible to minimize risk of injury. Won't be surprised if they limit his minutes the rest of the season. He just has to come back to play a couple months and finish the season healthy... next season will be the year to truly test himself.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,771

Post#278 » by RookieStar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Yeah... if our FO isn't worried about it, why should we? Do we have some PO or championship goals this season that we desperately nee JI for? OR are we "toughening" him up while greasing the treads of our tank AND making sure our rooks and sophomores get ready when we "try" to compete next season?

If they decide to bring back JI on Chritmas/next year/ AS break while we can't get out of the top 5 tank wars then i'm good with it.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#279 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:57 pm

OrlandO wrote:Who cares if he's out 14 months or 18 months. Two bad injuries to the same knee... one more and his magic career is over. The team also probably cares more about lottery placement than wins this season. Makes sense to take it ultra slow and let him build up his strength and conditioning as much as possible to minimize risk of injury. Won't be surprised if they limit his minutes the rest of the season. He just has to come back to play a couple months and finish the season healthy... next season will be the year to truly test himself.

I kind of agree with your "who cares", but because it allows Okeke & WCJ ample time to get comfortable at the 4.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#280 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:39 pm

lets really be honest. JI isnt coming back as any savior to this team. He cant stay healthy and now he is even having issues recovering from injuries. he will be lucky to come back as a 20 mpg player

Return to Orlando Magic