The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#1081 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 1, 2021 1:28 pm

What we're seeing this year is that the schedule has changed more than the team has changed. Considering they took all the "glory" for winning the historically bad NFC East last season, they should take the criticism for failing with the harder schedule that came with it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1082 » by zero2hero » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:19 am

Ruzious wrote:What we're seeing this year is that the schedule has changed more than the team has changed. Considering they took all the "glory" for winning the historically bad NFC East last season, they should take the criticism for failing with the harder schedule that came with it.

100%. Tougher schedule aside, we still lost to the Broncos, a winnable game against the Chargers, Saints, and almost blew it against the Giants. This team regressed
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1083 » by Dark Faze » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:13 pm

The consistent failing this team has had over the last decade is a lack of a QB. When we had a pretty decent one (Cousins) we had some really snakebit seasons in terms of injuries. That still wasn't really a superbowl team (as the vikings are finding out), but there was the potential to generally be a consistent +.500 performer with him.

One thing's also evident: We've had some pretty damn good coaches over the last decade. Both Shanahan's, McVay, now Ron. I also tend to think that Jay was a good coach too--just had some rough luck.

We've got to solve the talent problem at QB.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1084 » by TGW » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:38 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The consistent failing this team has had over the last decade is a lack of a QB. When we had a pretty decent one (Cousins) we had some really snakebit seasons in terms of injuries. That still wasn't really a superbowl team (as the vikings are finding out), but there was the potential to generally be a consistent +.500 performer with him.

One thing's also evident: We've had some pretty damn good coaches over the last decade. Both Shanahan's, McVay, now Ron. I also tend to think that Jay was a good coach too--just had some rough luck.

We've got to solve the talent problem at QB.

This sums it up. No QB = no hope of winning.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1085 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:28 pm

2 straight good games. Bud Light played very efficiently - would have had an amazing game if he hit an open McLaurin in the 4th quarter. And who knows - if Gibson hadn't fumbled, it could have been another TD for Michelob. Gibson would have been the lower cased goat if Carolina had scored at the end - going out of bounds when we were trying to run out the clock - plech. Our defense held up even with Sweat and Chase out and doing very little blitzing. Thanks to Cam for not going downfield; he can still run a bit - but not like he used to. 4-6 and on a roll.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1086 » by Wizardspride » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:2 straight good games. Bud Light played very efficiently - would have had an amazing game if he hit an open McLaurin in the 4th quarter. And who knows - if Gibson hadn't fumbled, it could have been another TD for Michelob. Gibson would have been the lower cased goat if Carolina had scored at the end - going out of bounds when we were trying to run out the clock - plech. Our defense held up even with Sweat and Chase out and doing very little blitzing. Thanks to Cam for not going downfield; he can still run a bit - but not like he used to. 4-6 and on a roll.

You seem to be happy about these wins. :D

Personally, I'm like :banghead:

We'll win just enough to take us out of the range for a QB (draft).
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1087 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:2 straight good games. Bud Light played very efficiently - would have had an amazing game if he hit an open McLaurin in the 4th quarter. And who knows - if Gibson hadn't fumbled, it could have been another TD for Michelob. Gibson would have been the lower cased goat if Carolina had scored at the end - going out of bounds when we were trying to run out the clock - plech. Our defense held up even with Sweat and Chase out and doing very little blitzing. Thanks to Cam for not going downfield; he can still run a bit - but not like he used to. 4-6 and on a roll.

Oh definitely I want to win as much as possible - always in football, since the players are risking their careers every game. And with free agency and trades, there's more ways than just getting a top 3 pick to get a QB. Make this a place where a good veteran wants to come to. Or draft well. Next door, Lamar Jackson was the 32 pick in 2018. And speaking of Baltimore, they had a whole lot of post-season success with average Joe Flacco.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1088 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Along those lines, I wonder if it makes sense to try to trade for Justin Fields. He was the 11th pick and has had a bad start for Chicago. Then again, a lot of HOF QB's had bad rookie years. 4 TD's and 8 ints and may lost the starting job to Andy Dalton - partly because of sore ribs. Nah, they traded up to get him - so they'll give him another year - at least. Tremendous athlete.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#1089 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:13 pm

I'm still not sold that Heineke is NOT the man. I like the idea of going for it this year to see what he can be after getting a season's worth of game experience. I also like that, with all of the injuries, we are seeing a number of young'uns in action. Bates has been good. Toohill and Smith-Whatever have been really good too.

DeAndre Carter gives us our best returner in ages and has been a revelation as a receiver. WE HAVE A KICKER!!!!

Always keep winning. Leave tanking for basketball.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1090 » by Wizardspride » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I'm still not sold that Heineke is NOT the man. I like the idea of going for it this year to see what he can be after getting a season's worth of game experience. I also like that, with all of the injuries, we are seeing a number of young'uns in action. Bates has been good. Toohill and Smith-Whatever have been really good too.

DeAndre Carter gives us our best returner in ages and has been a revelation as a receiver. WE HAVE A KICKER!!!!

I"m 1000 percent sure he isn't the man.

But I do think he MAY be good enough to hold down the fort until we find a genuine franchise QB.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1091 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:19 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I'm still not sold that Heineke is NOT the man. I like the idea of going for it this year to see what he can be after getting a season's worth of game experience. I also like that, with all of the injuries, we are seeing a number of young'uns in action. Bates has been good. Toohill and Smith-Whatever have been really good too.

But I do think he MAY be good enough to hold down the fort until we find a genuine franchise QB.

Even if you're right, losing big doesn't guarantee anything except more losing. The first 3 picks in the 2021 draft were so-called franchise QB's, but the best QB in the draft might very well be Mac Jones - picked 15th. He's 7-4 with 14 TD's and 8 ints. None of the top 3 guys have done anything good. 2 of them are flailing with 2-8 teams. One's on a 5-5 team - but he hasn't done anything. Who knows if any of the top 3 will ever win, and if they do - how long will it take?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,152

Post#1092 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm

I know absolutely nothing about pro football but doesn't it often take several seasons for newly drafted quarterbacks to learn the pro game?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1093 » by Wizardspride » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Even if you're right, losing big doesn't guarantee anything except more losing. The first 3 picks in the 2021 draft were so-called franchise QB's, but the best QB in the draft might very well be Mac Jones - picked 15th. He's 7-4 with 14 TD's and 8 ints. None of the top 3 guys have done anything good. 2 of them are flailing with 2-8 teams. One's on a 5-5 team - but he hasn't done anything. Who knows if any of the top 3 will ever win, and if they do - how long will it take?

Sounds like you're just impatient to win, and I get it.

I just don't believe in being just an "okay" football team.

Yeah, we COULD find a stud QB outside of the top 10-12 (Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson) but selecting high as possible maximizes our chances of finding that guy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1094 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:I"m 1000 percent sure he isn't the man.

Sounds like you're just impatient to win, and I get it.

I just don't believe in being just an "okay" football team.

Yeah, we COULD find a stud QB outside of the top 10-12 (Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson) but selecting high as possible maximizes our chances of finding that guy.

True that I'm not willing to give up 5 more years to have a better chance to find and develop a talented QB, but there are other ways to do it if you develop a good organization. I'm sure there were people who gave Russell Wilson zero chance to be a franchise QB. I'm willing to at least give Bud Light 1 season to see what he can do.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1095 » by Illuminaire » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I know absolutely nothing about pro football but doesn't it often take several seasons for newly drafted quarterbacks to learn the pro game?

It's a crap shoot. There are a handful of dudes who come out and play at an all-pro level right away. Think Patrick Maholmes, who started in his 2nd year and threw for 50 TDs.

Most QBs struggle for 2-4 years. Most first round QBs put into action will play somewhere between horrific (see Fields) and just-good-enough (see Mac Jones) for the duration of their first contracts.

It's the most important position in the game and scouts still have no clue how to draft. (Neither do I. My track record with picking successful QBs is abysmal.)
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,152

Post#1096 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 pm

didn't Bret Favre outright suck for several seasons?

Hm, looks like he was drafted in 91 and in the playoffs by 93

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/430992-brett-favre-a-timeline-of-the-goodand-the-bad

man my perception of the passage of time has changed drastically over the last three decades
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#1097 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:20 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

I can understand wanting to draft a QB but I can’t help wanting to win.

I know it’s early but I was wondering who are the QB’s you think are going in the top half of the first round ?

Carrol looked smaller then his listed 205. Pickett looked good his last game until he threw it to the MLB. (Flashback to Cousins throwing picks over the middle). I haven’t seen Howell, Strong or Willis.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#1098 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:04 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

So I’m not Bud Light’s agent or anything… but I have to point out that Jones and Heineke have essentially the same number of career starts… one is seen as the best QB in a loaded draft, one an afterthought. One has 14 tds and 8 ints. One has 14 tds and 9 ints.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1099 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:35 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:I"m 1000 percent sure he isn't the man.

So I’m not Bud Light’s agent or anything… but I have to point out that Jones and Heineke have essentially the same number of career starts… one is seen as the best QB in a loaded draft, one an afterthought. One has 14 tds and 8 ints. One has 14 tds and 9 ints.

We need Michelob Draft. :wink:
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1100 » by gambitx777 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:53 am

If we run the table the rest of the season we could finish 10 and 6 that's something. Good enough for a wild card? Doubtful

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards