Image ImageImage Image

Where does this rank on your most enjoyable Bulls seasons?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Re: Where does this rank on your most enjoyable Bulls seasons? 

Post#21 » by JohnnyTapwater » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:54 pm

I couldn't really enjoy any of the championship seasons fully because I developed a neurosis. With my walls plastered with Bulls paraphernalia, I had an obsession that forced me to be motionless while I watched the games. If I moved, we'd lose. This Squid Game was all in my head, but I convinced myself that I was responsible for all the good fortune. It was torture because my arms and legs would fall asleep. Truly amazingly weird in retrospect.

So with that, my favorite Bulls team had to be 08/09 followed by 10/11 with Rose's MVP season then 06/07. Pretty much that era was lovely for me.

This season is firmly within those 3 right now.
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,223

Post#22 » by umfan83 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:15 am

I agree with you Doug. 2004-2005 was by far my favorite year post-Jordan. Something about that team was so incredibly fun. If this year continues like it is, it will rival 04-05
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#23 » by dice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 am

1) every year of the jordan era from the late '80s on (when i became a bulls fan)
2) derrick MVP season
3) derrick ACL season
4) derrick failure to return to work season
5) thibs's last season
6) big ben's first season in chicago
7) skiles's first full season (47 wins) - my return to the bulls after losing interest quickly post-"last dance"
8) down year prior to big ben signing
9) derrick's last season/jimmy taking over/the debut of hoiball
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#24 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:42 am

dice wrote:1) every year of the jordan era from the late '80s on (when i became a bulls fan)
2) derrick MVP season
3) derrick ACL season
4) derrick failure to return to work season
5) thibs's last season
6) big ben's first season in chicago
7) skiles's first full season (47 wins) - my return to the bulls after losing interest quickly post-"last dance"
8) down year prior to big ben signing
9) derrick's last season/jimmy taking over/the debut of hoiball

#8 is interesting, expound. I get #7 for sure.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#25 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 am

JohnnyTapwater wrote:I couldn't really enjoy any of the championship seasons fully because I developed a neurosis. With my walls plastered with Bulls paraphernalia, I had an obsession that forced me to be motionless while I watched the games. If I moved, we'd lose. This Squid Game was all in my head, but I convinced myself that I was responsible for all the good fortune. It was torture because my arms and legs would fall asleep. Truly amazingly weird in retrospect.

So with that, my favorite Bulls team had to be 08/09 followed by 10/11 with Rose's MVP season then 06/07. Pretty much that era was lovely for me.

This season is firmly within those 3 right now.

Seriously? If not both amazing and terrifying at the same time.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#26 » by MrSparkle » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:55 am

I will say... it's a long season. Got 82 games again (right?). Lot of ups and downs to come.

But STYLE and personnel wise, it's by far my favorite club since 98. I like watching crafty, smart basketball - Derozan, Lonzo, Caruso, Vuc have brought that to the club. I also like athletic energy guys like Javonte, DJJ, Ayo. And that Zach fella can sure score (and has improved in virtually every category). No gimmicks here, even with the small ball. IMO Billy's just playing his best players. Caruso plays like a true NBA champ. Somebody called him the mini Dray, and I'd agree with that assessment. We've got elite scorers with nice moves. Above-the-rim dunkers.

I see short-comings in the squad, but that'll happen when you just rehauled 12 players in 12 months. It's not the same since Lebron/Wade were obviously more elite, but it'd be like crying about Miami having Joel Anthony and Mario Chalmers. It took them a few off-seasons, but they ended up with Battier, Ray, Birdman.

The roster overhaul was kind of a moonshot. I don't expect to be running victory laps in June, but we're very respectable. Still think this is gonna be a developmental roster, even with the short handed FRPs. If Coby, Pat, Marko, whoever doesn't work out, someone eventually will. Who knows what Ayo's ceiling or floor are. It's really hard to tell. He has the tools to be a really good NBA player. But coupled with a few more picks, trades and MLE signings, I'm feeling pretty good about the next 3 years.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#27 » by TeamMan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 am

All of the Gar/Pax years were torture for me.

They were brilliant in the draft.

But pathetic at player development, making trades and FA signings.

They got rid of every player before they reached their full potential, either by letting them walk or giving them away in trades. And FA signings were for filling gaps or selling tickets. It was the absolute worst part of their management.

After Phil Jackson left, the Krause coaching selections were trash, and Gar/Pax followed suit with the exception of Thibs, who they stabbed in the back.

So, I have to go all the way back to the dynasty years before I can remember even one season (everything, not just the games) that I can say was "enjoyable".
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#28 » by micromonkey » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:21 pm

Top 3 post Jordan era (which IMO you have to qualify). I'd put Rose MVP and 2012 as 1/2 but this could possibly eclipse one of those....
Last night notwithstanding :)
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,551

Post#29 » by Ice Man » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:41 pm

The best season was 1996, because from Day 1 the result was inevitable. The Bulls were flipping awesome and would roll to the title. No worries, no stress, just a yearlong party. Barring serious injuries, a team with almost-prime Jordan, prime Pippen, prime Rodman, and prime Kokuc would win almost every game that it played, and that was just how things would be.

The next best season was 2011, for reasons which everybody understands.

After that, this year so far has been as good as any of them.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#30 » by wickywack » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:54 pm

I was heavily invested in the team in the Jordan era. It's hard to compare that era to what came after, so I'll cheat a bit. That era was easily the most satisfying. But, I think I got the most enjoyment out of seasons where the team delighted me by exceeding or even crushing expectations. Most of the Jordan era came with super high expectations, so I'll claim those seasons were more satisfying than enjoyable. If nothing else, to make this more interesting. :-)

So, as far as enjoyment:

(1) 1991. Let's have it all! The Bulls weren't favored to win it all going into this season. By preseason Vegas odds, the bad boy Pistons were most likely to win it all again, followed by the Magic Lakers, followed by Drexler's Blazers. The Bulls hadn't notably upgraded their roster. They were more or less sending out the same crew that kept falling short. And then it just came together. Sweeping the Pistons and nearly sweeping the Lakers - sweet!

(2) 2011. Game 1 of the ECF, when the Bulls crushed LeBron and company, was easily the singular high point of the post Jordan era. I imagine it's how Knicks fans felt after Starks' dunk in the 93 ECF. Probably better given that LeBron/Wade/Bosh had all just spurned the Bulls. But just like then, it all fell apart. While it lasted, a hell of season!

(3) 2005. After years of post-Jordan misery, the Bulls suddenly - and unexpectedly - had a relevant team again. Going in, this season looked to be more of the same. Even lost their first 9 or so I think. A switch suddenly went off. It was cool seeing holdovers Curry and Chandler weaved in with new blood like Hinrich and Deng and smart vets like AD. And Ben Gordon off the bench! Sadly, the Deng injury and Curry heart condition robbed us of seeing what this team could do in the post season.

(4) 1994. Jordan retired (the first time). Expectations were low. Maybe even lottery. Getting to the 2nd round and actually giving the Knicks a series was unexpected fun!

I won't jinx this season by ranking it yet. We've got a long way to go. But it reminds me of 2005 in a number of ways. That was Pax's 2nd year. This is AKME's 2nd. That followed years of irrelevance as does this. That team was almost a complete makeover (only Curry and Chandler from what Pax inherited) as is this (only LaVine and White from what AKME inherited). And in both cases, I'd gotten so used to losing that winning was / is an unexpected delight.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#31 » by Hold That » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:06 am

1. 96 season when Rodman came to the Bulls to go on and win 72 games. I remember when they had the Rodman billboard and would change his hair design. The city was in love with the Bulls and the entire world was on notice. Just happy I could remember it. This is when I became a die hard.

2. Rose MVP year. Just as a Chicagoan who grew up on the southside, and like many of us who knew and saw D Rose climbing out of the local ranks, followed his college career and then witnessed a MVP season. Rose lived out every Chicago kids basketball dream drafted #1 local team and become MVP, It was surreal watching him go up against a prime Heatles team.

3.2004-2005 I was a big fan of this team, like Doug said this team had so much promise and potential. The realgm boards use to be on fire during these times. Everyone had their own little favorite player because the talent and potential was endless. Ben Gordon was so fun to watch especially in the 4th.

4.) 97-98 we all knew it was jordans last year as they media reminded us every opportunity.

5.) 2008-2009 Rose rookie season. Watching the hometown kid first year realizing we had something special a true future superstar and seeing him have a great playoff debut.

6.) This season so far

Return to Chicago Bulls