Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#421 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 am

Richard Miller wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
He's not out yet, the unofficial word is that his issue *could* jeopardize his season. However even if true, if Jamal is back and the rest of starters remain healthy they will still have a decent chance.

Most guys coming off of ACLs may come back in 8-12 months, most of them take a full 18 months before they get to their top level again.

Honestly at this point, if MPJ is out for the season, than I think we sit Jokic for any excuse we can and tank the season. Give some of the young guys all the minutes they can handle and see if we can't develop a quality bench for next season.

Young guys also need to learn to play with Jokic, this is not OKC or Detroit though. I don't think Jamal plans to sit out the entire season, we'll see I guess. And tbh, the first game without MPJ was vs Heat and the Nuggets dominated one of the best Eastern teams, they are perfectly capable playing without him if everybody else are in form.

Of course Murray is coming back this season, but anybody who expects him to be 100% is ignoring history. Best case scenario is that he is back to himself next season.

While we looked good 1 game, a lot of that has to do with the Heat not knowing what we were doing, Bones not in the scouting reports, and Jokic carrying this entire roster. You can easily have JOkic play 30 mpg for 2 1/2 months and still get a decent lotto pick which may be a huge deal if MPJ is truly having nerve pain in his back. I also think if we lose MPJ than Nnaji is the long term fit at PF for this team, Bones can grow into a true 6th man for next year, and we can see what we have in the other young guys. If this is a long term problem for MPJ than we have to get our production out of our draft picks, especially next year.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#422 » by TunaFish » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:17 am

The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Most guys coming off of ACLs may come back in 8-12 months, most of them take a full 18 months before they get to their top level again.

Honestly at this point, if MPJ is out for the season, than I think we sit Jokic for any excuse we can and tank the season. Give some of the young guys all the minutes they can handle and see if we can't develop a quality bench for next season.

Young guys also need to learn to play with Jokic, this is not OKC or Detroit though. I don't think Jamal plans to sit out the entire season, we'll see I guess. And tbh, the first game without MPJ was vs Heat and the Nuggets dominated one of the best Eastern teams, they are perfectly capable playing without him if everybody else are in form.

Of course Murray is coming back this season, but anybody who expects him to be 100% is ignoring history. Best case scenario is that he is back to himself next season.

While we looked good 1 game, a lot of that has to do with the Heat not knowing what we were doing, Bones not in the scouting reports, and Jokic carrying this entire roster. You can easily have JOkic play 30 mpg for 2 1/2 months and still get a decent lotto pick which may be a huge deal if MPJ is truly having nerve pain in his back. I also think if we lose MPJ than Nnaji is the long term fit at PF for this team, Bones can grow into a true 6th man for next year, and we can see what we have in the other young guys. If this is a long term problem for MPJ than we have to get our production out of our draft picks, especially next year.

Injuries like MPJ's are difficult to predict. There is as much likelihood that after some rest, his disc will heal without surgical intervention as most herniated discs do. If an operation does occur, he will likely return to the same form he showed last season after recovering from the operation, its' not a muscle problem.

Worse case scenario, MPJ retires and the Nuggets gain salary relief.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#423 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Injuries like MPJ's are difficult to predict. There is as much likelihood that after some rest, his disc will heal without surgical intervention as most herniated discs do. If an operation does occur, he will likely return to the same form he showed last season after recovering from the operation, its' not a muscle problem.

Where are you getting that it is a disc injury? Every thing I have read is that it is a nerve problem, nerve problems are hard to diagnose and even harder to find the cause/treat. I have a nerve issue since my accident almost 4 years ago, and they are still trying to track down the cause. I hope the guy is okay and that he can continue in his career, but this can be more serious than a herniated disc.

As for worse case scenario, I don't think you understand how much it hurts if MPJ is forced to medically retire. We don't have cap space either way for the foreseeable future. We have over $159 million committed to next season, the following year even without MPJ's deal Jokic's cap hold/deal will put us over the salary cap. We have to find a way to restock the roster and draft picks are what Connelly has been best at.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#424 » by TunaFish » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:07 pm

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Of course Murray is coming back this season, but anybody who expects him to be 100% is ignoring history. Best case scenario is that he is back to himself next season.

Where are you getting that it is a disc injury? Every thing I have read is that it is a nerve problem, nerve problems are hard to diagnose and even harder to find the cause/treat. I have a nerve issue since my accident almost 4 years ago, and they are still trying to track down the cause. I hope the guy is okay and that he can continue in his career, but this can be more serious than a herniated disc.

As for worse case scenario, I don't think you understand how much it hurts if MPJ is forced to medically retire. We don't have cap space either way for the foreseeable future. We have over $159 million committed to next season, the following year even without MPJ's deal Jokic's cap hold/deal will put us over the salary cap. We have to find a way to restock the roster and draft picks are what Connelly has been best at.

"Disc reherniation is the most common cause of reoperation after primary disc surgery and is defined as disc herniation occurring at the same level in a patient after a definite pain-free period of at least six months from initial surgery."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4922511/

It seems obvious that the nerve injury is related to his previous microdiscectomy surgery. There is likely scar tissue in that area somewhere near the spine and if they go back in they will have to assess damage to nerve endings as well as assess the original surgery. Hopefully, he does not have to have a new microdiscectomy but that is a possibility.

There is another possibility that the nerve is pinched in another area of the spine which is a different operation.

Too soon to know which way MPJ is going with this but it sounds like rest is not working.

While it is true that if MPJ is forced to retire we will not have cap space, we will also drop back below the tax threshold. For what it is worth, TC will have some room to maneuver. Perhaps we will have another player whose game explodes into a max player in the future.
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#425 » by Manolito » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm

MPJ out for the season.

This was the only logical way to try to extend his career. In my opinion tons of questions should be answered to understand why this contract has been offered one year in advance.

This season is only about keeping Jokic happy and reduce his workload. I assume Nuggets will easy Murray rehab as well and will only play a few games. No need to rush him to face GSW or Phoenix in first round.

Bones and Nnaji must play 25minutes every game
NRSV
Senior
And1: 816

Post#426 » by NRSV » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Just needs a disc replacement a la Eichel.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#427 » by TunaFish » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 pm

NRSV wrote:Just needs a disc replacement a la Eichel.

Eichel had neck surgery and a replacement of a disc in the neck (never before done). The surgery that MPJ is likely having is with a bulging disk in his lower back, a much more common surgery. That assumes it is MPJ's original injury and not something else.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#428 » by THE J0KER » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 pm

If this will come soon or later anyway, this is the best moment!

MPJ's max-contract still has not started and the season is already lost for big goals due to Murray's injury. Let's hope Porter will recover again with the ability to play in full force, just like in 2019-20/20-21. Healthy MPJ is a max-contract-worthy player, no doubt.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#429 » by TunaFish » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 pm

THE J0KER wrote:If this will come soon or later anyway, this is the best moment!

MPJ's max-contract still has not started and the season is already lost for big goals due to Murray's injury. Let's hope Porter will recover again with the ability to play in full force, just like in 2019-20/20-21. Healthy MPJ is a max-contract-worthy player, no doubt.

I think it likely that MPJ will play again and be just as good.
Canned in Denver.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

Post#430 » by DaFan334 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 am

One thing about the contract that people who keep saying we shouldn't have given it to him early are also missing, besides the Denver Nuggets need to do that sort of thing to make this a destination for players, is that if we didn't give Porter the max deal and we were in the same position we were with this injury going into next offseason, we would have an enormous conundrum. We might have saved money, but we also might have had to question any other offers given to Porter or lose him for nothing. It doesn't make the max any easier, but the other side of things leaves a lot of questions as well.

We all just hope Porter can come back healthy and return to form. Take his time, this team can still contend.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,327

MPJ 

Post#431 » by DaFan334 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Is his return closer than we think? He looks fluid and is getting some elevation. He does not look very limited physically or by the Nuggets/doctors. While I am sure the will err on the side of caution, this looks like a good sign.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: MPJ 

Post#432 » by The Rebel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:57 pm

It sounds like neither MPJ or Murray are allowed to play full contact yet, so they are still at least a few weeks away. It is nice to see both progressing though and would be great to get them both back and healthy in time to ramp up for the playoffs.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#433 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:44 am

Nuggets aren't in the lottery so appears they're willing to take precautions with both Murray and MPJ. While Joker is keeping this team afloat, we'll still need to get him some help, not to mention some rest before the playoffs. Realistically, Murray looks to ne the closest to return, just hope he starts in Bubble mode rather than slow-start-to-the-season mode.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#434 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 am

I'm not sure I want to see MPJ (or Murray) at all this season if that includes only playoff. The comeback after a hard injury and long pause is a process and needs a few months of play (or at least full-contact practice) to be in previous full mode (in the best case!). So I'm not sure that playing with let's say 70%-MPJ and 70%-Murray is worthy of the risk of eventual new damage of Murray's knee or Porter's back.

Why gamble this ruined season at all if we have guaranteed contender status very next season with MPJ and Murray fully recovered?
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#435 » by TunaFish » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:02 am

THE J0KER wrote:I'm not sure I want to see MPJ (or Murray) at all this season if that includes only playoff. The comeback after a hard injury and long pause is a process and needs a few months of play (or at least full-contact practice) to be in previous full mode (in the best case!). So I'm not sure that playing with let's say 70%-MPJ and 70%-Murray is worthy of the risk of eventual new damage of Murray's knee or Porter's back.

Why gamble this ruined season at all if we have guaranteed contender status very next season with MPJ and Murray fully recovered?

With MPJ, this is a different kind of surgery than we normally do see in other athletes. If fixed he will show little effect and if his agents claims are correct, the pain is relieved. He will have his complete athletic abilities as long as there is no pain.

For MPJ, one of the questions is whether they had to remove bone structure impacting the nerves. Recovery is based on the the inevitable healing of the various tissues in the area of the surgery but does take time. If he has little residual pain and no further damage was done to the nerve endings during surgery, then a full recovery is likely. The surgical procedures associated with this technique have a high probability of success.

Murray also has the same high probability of success however, recovery will also take time. So just like Nets fans waiting for Durant, we wait for Murray.

I think there is a chance that both return by playoffs. I would expect Murray to be more hobelled.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#436 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:28 am

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:I'm not sure I want to see MPJ (or Murray) at all this season if that includes only playoff. The comeback after a hard injury and long pause is a process and needs a few months of play (or at least full-contact practice) to be in previous full mode (in the best case!). So I'm not sure that playing with let's say 70%-MPJ and 70%-Murray is worthy of the risk of eventual new damage of Murray's knee or Porter's back.

With MPJ, this is a different kind of surgery than we normally do see in other athletes. If fixed he will show little effect and if his agents claims are correct, the pain is relieved. He will have his complete athletic abilities as long as there is no pain.

For MPJ, one of the questions is whether they had to remove bone structure impacting the nerves. Recovery is based on the the inevitable healing of the various tissues in the area of the surgery but does take time. If he has little residual pain and no further damage was done to the nerve endings during surgery, then a full recovery is likely. The surgical procedures associated with this technique have a high probability of success.

Murray also has the same high probability of success however, recovery will also take time. So just like Nets fans waiting for Durant, we wait for Murray.

I think there is a chance that both return by playoffs. I would expect Murray to be more hobelled.

Gotta say I'm with the Joker on this one, I'd rather wait until MPJ/Murray back but for me, not less than 90% healthy, anthing less and I'll see ya next season at 100%

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#437 » by TunaFish » Tue Mar 1, 2022 10:07 pm

MPJ is being assigned to the G league (Gold) this week, scrimmage only. It's only a matter of time.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#438 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 4, 2022 5:00 pm

Some good news about MPJ, love to see him working on his handles, one of his weaknesses

skywalker33

Post#439 » by skywalker33 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:02 pm

Malone finally gives MPJ's return a timeframe, he says he'll return from his heel injury in 7-10 days.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#440 » by THE J0KER » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:15 pm

Return to Denver Nuggets