MPJ has a nerve issue in his back that could jeopardize his season

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,323

Re: MPJ has a nerve issue in his back that could jeopardize his season 

Post#121 » by CptCrunch » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:26 pm

kodo wrote:If it was a freak accident, Denver would be fine financially because insurance covers 80% of this. But this really seems like a case where insurance would refuse coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

https://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/13432/insurance-helps-bulls-foot-roses-bill

MetLife offers insurance to teams on an annual basis, but the insurance company can put exclusions on certain players or even body parts. If that happens, the team can opt out of the plan and try to find another insurance plan. As Larry Coon's salary cap website, cbafaq.com, notes, Luol Deng was excluded in 2008-09 because of a history of back injuries.

That's also what happened when the New York Knicks signed Amar'e Stoudemire to a $100 million deal in 2010. His well-documented knee problems, which included micro-fracture surgery, were deemed uninsurable.

Yes, two back surgeries before the age of 21, and a nice memo written by Clippers team doctor stating that he will never play basketball again pre-draft. "Freak" injury lol.

Any insurance Nuggets bought for MPJ's contract would be stupid to not exclude his back.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#122 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 pm

Is it possible to simply wait until we know something?

The most likely thing to have happened is that one of the discs in his back leaked again and it's impinging on a nerve, they can perform another "minimally invasive" microdiscectomy to relieve the pressure, rehab him to try to rebuild the muscle protecting the disc, and he could be back in 4 months ... and fully recovered in 2 years.

Of course even that's awful, but in the big picture he could just be 24 years old and back to 100%.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,514

Post#123 » by KrAzY3 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:59 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Medically retire, collect 5.3m this year, then 172m over 5 years.

Nuggets are on the hook for 177.3m over the next 6 years.

The contract they offered him just ended Jokic's contention window as I called it in the thread.

edit: Apparently the Nuggets can get MPJ's salary off their books if a team doctor and NBA doctor both agree that MPJ should be medically retired. They still owe the man his money though.

He could Grant Hill them though. Grant even kept Orlando from getting a medical exemption one year by being like I can play I can play no wait I can't play.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#124 » by Saint Lazarus » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:42 am

JonFromVA wrote:Is it possible to simply wait until we know something?

The most likely thing to have happened is that one of the discs in his back leaked again and it's impinging on a nerve, they can perform another "minimally invasive" microdiscectomy to relieve the pressure, rehab him to try to rebuild the muscle protecting the disc, and he could be back in 4 months ... and fully recovered in 2 years.

Of course even that's awful, but in the big picture he could just be 24 years old and back to 100%.

Your best case scenario sounds terrible lol
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#125 » by dautjazz » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:13 am

I never understand why teams offer a max extension so prematurely. He was going to be a RFA, let him pout about not getting an early extension, better than shooting yourself in the foot. You secure star players, not some injury prone borderline star player.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#126 » by The411 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:44 am

the7boss wrote:
LAvision wrote:So how exactly do you fix a nerve issue? Seems like something he'll deal with forever.

Decompressing, which means a third back surgery in his twenties. That video of him missing the layup made me feel really bad about the guy, no matter how rich he is.
Let's see if the Nuggets included some kind of additional insurance on this issue because otherwise they should have known and nobody is going to pay that 200M.

I've had two lumbar microdiscectomy surgeries by 41 and I was born with narrow column. I am able to workout hard but my back always feels like it could easy have issues so I have to be very careful. If he's having these issues at his age that's going to bne extremely difficult to overcome unless they can figure out a away to get around the problem, but most of the solutions require lots of operations or invasive procedures.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#127 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 am

DusterBuster wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:Nuggets should look into the possibility of voiding that extension
All I know I thought from the get go they gave him crazy money considering his fragility
If I was Jokic I'd be looking to bolt. Denvers roster is ghastly without MPJ, Barton and Murray

I thought I heard they had some injury provisions in the deal, so I would guess they have some protections there... but outside of that, I'm not in favor of the Nuggets getting a pass on that deal. They knew the risks and still made the deal with him, he deserves that money based on whatever the contract details stipulate in case of major injury.

yep nuggets knew his medical history in fact 30 teams knew. being jealous shouldnt take away someones hard earned money.
mpj is as much as of a victim here unless he didnt like playing ball.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#128 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:07 am

azuresou1 wrote:Nuggets were dumb AF to offer him that contract from the very beginning

you think a max contract player would sign with small market like denver? one of the least liked by american stars not to mention euro guys there. this is a typical small market problem on why pelicans and nuggets are run poorly.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#129 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:07 am

BoatsNZones wrote:
Alatan wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:The main difference between Wiggins and MPJ was that Minnesota paid Wiggins on their expectations what he would become, potential. He was low efficiency volume scorer. MPJ last season was 20 ppg scorer with KD like efficiency, good rebounder, neutral defender at PF spot. Absolutely deserved rookie scale max extension. He was perfect fit with Jokic, Murray, AG and Barton. That starting 5, when healthy were champion favorites.
And again, what if they waited a year to resign him and injury happens at the start of next season.

Dude, i dont know what fantasy version of NBA you watched but MPJ was a spot up shooter that could not create his shot to save his life and defended as well as Belgium in WW2. Dude was trash at everything except spotups. Even if you disregard his health issues he was never worth a max. NEVER. Galinari at the same age was 10 times the player MPJ showed at his best.

Truly awful move by Denver.

When that spot up shot can get off over anyone at the efficiency he could bring, that is a MASSIVELY valuable player. It's Kevin Durant's greatest asset as a player. A healthy MPJ would have been an absolute force, and he was an absolute force at just 22 years old last season. From early March until the end of the season (before he got hurt again... sigh) in 35 games he was averaging 23 and 8 on 58/48/80. THAT is a max player any way you want to cut it.

He was always a massive, massive injury risk though. I was really hoping he was going to be able to stay on the floor. This is devastating for the Nuggets. What is worse for them is that he's still only making $5 million this season, so they won't be able to utilize an injury exception to sign anyone.

You think KD's"greatest asset as a player" Is spot up shooting, oposed to iso scoring?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#130 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 am

ShootersShoot wrote:
Lala870 wrote:Honestly I agree with the earlier poster saying denver should just tank the season, bench jokic, see if they can clear MPJ off the books somehow, and get a high draft pick. See what the offseason looks like and get murray back

They should just let guys like Bones/Bol Bol play the season out.

Even if MPJ was healthy, they're not beating either LA team, PHX, GS, or Utah in the PO

They could pull a warriors and tank. Jokic, MPJ, Murray, and a top 5 pick for next season wow.

Because Kuminga and Wiseman are dominating so hard for GSW :roll:
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#131 » by God Squad » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:16 am

Back issues have plagued, slowed down or derail the careers of plenty of players in the past. It's not looking good for the Nuggets or MPJ tbh.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#132 » by tribulations » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Medically retire, collect 5.3m this year, then 172m over 5 years.

The contract they offered him just ended Jokic's contention window as I called it in the thread.

edit: Apparently the Nuggets can get MPJ's salary off their books if a team doctor and NBA doctor both agree that MPJ should be medically retired. They still owe the man his money though.

Why would they still owe him money if he doesnt play? That is the entire point of a contract. He signed the deal to play basketball for the Nuggets for the next 5 seasons after this season. They owe him the money when he plays those seasons. If he doesnt play those seasons, the Nuggets dont owe him squat.

Surely the contract has insurance?
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#133 » by LeMasta » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:10 pm

god damn fleeced the Nuggets
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#134 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Why would they still owe him money if he doesnt play? That is the entire point of a contract. He signed the deal to play basketball for the Nuggets for the next 5 seasons after this season. They owe him the money when he plays those seasons. If he doesnt play those seasons, the Nuggets dont owe him squat.
Guaranteed contract.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
NRSV
Senior
And1: 816

Post#135 » by NRSV » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:02 pm

He needs a disc replacement and a linear compound strength training regiment. It’s his only chance.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,486

Post#136 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 pm

I supported Denver extending him this past summer but I did so under the assumption that they had internal medical knowledge which essentially assured them that his previous back issues were in the past. I couldn't even fathom they'd throw that money at him otherwise
Loaded_Hollows
Starter
And1: 3,338

Post#137 » by Loaded_Hollows » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Is it possible to simply wait until we know something?

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,759

Post#138 » by ItsDanger » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm

You can literally insure anything if you're willing to pay the premium. On the insurer's side, risk can be managed in various ways. Don't assume facts here.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,195

Post#139 » by antonac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 pm

dautjazz wrote:I never understand why teams offer a max extension so prematurely. He was going to be a RFA, let him pout about not getting an early extension, better than shooting yourself in the foot. You secure star players, not some injury prone borderline star player.

to be honest, yeah, I feel bad for the guy and also think it's a problem with the NBAs terms that an injury can cripple a teams salary cap like this, I don't really want to be arguing a way that someone who's seriously injured shouldn't be financially taken care of within the NBA model which makes billions of dollars.

BUT there was no advantage to maxing him early, he was given that contract on the assumption he'd grow as a player, let him do his growing and earn his contract when the option is there.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#140 » by Effigy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 pm

Sad news for him, but he is set financially.

The Nuggets are absolute morons for giving him that contract though. In my opinion if a guy isn't a surefire superstar (Trey, Luka) you don't max them out early, you make them take more of a bargain deal or wait until the fourth year when they are restricted. (Like Atlanta did with Collins, and like Phoenix will do with Ayton) When you give these guys max contracts when it isn't clear they are max players, you are literally bidding against yourselves. The only reason to agree to a deal earlier than you have to is if it will save you money in the long run. You trade the guaranteed security now in exchange for something less than a max deal.

Return to The General Board