ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2022 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread, 2nd Edition 

Post#281 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
In Tatum's case, it's more his penchant for holding the ball too long rather than the refusal to pass, which Ime pointed out in one of his interviews. Quicker decisions/reads from JT have made him more dangerous and our team offense more potent.

Well, yes. I said a week ago that Tatum needed to watch Kawhi Leonard tapes. Stop fiddling and diddling and do whatever you want to do immediately.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#282 » by Half-Full » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the new court design. There were some reports a couple of months ago, along with leaked images. One report had the new floor debuting in October in a game vs the Raptors. Clearly that did not happen. What gives?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.celticslife.com%2F2021%2F10%2Ffirst-look-at-celtics-new-home-court.html&psig=AOvVaw3WOzEOIF35HfbTfyx-lEmo&ust=1637611554940000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCLDJ5s2gqvQCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I'm not particularly crazy about the design. Maybe it was sent back to the drawing board?
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,748

Post#283 » by Larry_Russell » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Luke walton fired.

Might be a time to nab some kings players.
Hield
Bagley
Mitchell
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#284 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm

Not good news for the Grant haters:

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#285 » by Half-Full » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:Not good news for the Grant haters:

Read on Twitter

I did recently ask if any of the Grant haters had changed their minds based on his play this season. Clearly, it is not just the coaches that value what he brings to the court. His versatility, IQ, and communication are certainly valuable, and shooting the three at 43% is icing on the cake. All this he brings to the table while holding down the #9 position on the bench. What more could one ask for?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#286 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Jaylen is a great human being. Great player but an even better person.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#287 » by Jammer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:12 am

What type of trade would it take to move Juancho Hernangomez or Bruno Fernando??

Errr, I guess, I mean, do they need a drunken sailor on the other end of the phone?? :D
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#288 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:00 am

Attach picks
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#289 » by Floody100 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:36 am

Read on Twitter

Grant’s going to be an awesome coach when he eventually retires.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#290 » by djFan71 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 am

Half-Full wrote:

Read on Twitter

I did recently ask if any of the Grant haters had changed their minds based on his play this season. Clearly, it is not just the coaches that value what he brings to the court. His versatility, IQ, and communication are certainly valuable, and shooting the three at 43% is icing on the cake. All this he brings to the table while holding down the #9 position on the bench. What more could one ask for?

I hated fat, floor bound, out of position Grant last year. Love skinny Grant who coincidentally recovered his excellent defensive positioning. And is knocking down 3s. Also, hate him at 5. Love him as small ball 4.

Spoiler:
Cuz he can't play tall ball 4.... ba dum tis!

And, fat of course means "nba fat" not normal people fat.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,456

Post#291 » by Fierce1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 am

Grant can also keep up with PGs if there's a switch and he ends up guarding the opposing PG.

Looks like Grant and Romeo have solidified their spots in the rotation this season.

What the Celts need not is another big man.

I think for the Celts to beat teams like Philly and Milwaukee, Celts are going to need 3 big men who can defend and rebound.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#292 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Floody100 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Grant’s going to be an awesome coach when he eventually retires.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#293 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Jammer wrote:What type of trade would it take to move Juancho Hernangomez or Bruno Fernando??

Errr, I guess, I mean, do they need a drunken sailor on the other end of the phone?? :D

They both have basically zero trade value. We wouldn't get anything good in return.

You need to give up actual value in order to get good talent in return. Maybe if you take 1 of them and attach multiple draft picks, you might get something decent..
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#294 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:21 pm

People were traumatized by the Sully and Yabu experience so it took em long enough to appreciate what Grant can bring to the table (not dinner table).
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#295 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:30 pm

Small sample report...
Our normal starting lineup has outscored opponents by 19.5 pts per 100 possessions. Below average offensive rating with a defensive rating like you wouldn't believe.

Our starting lineup with Schroder and Grant instead of JB and TL has outscored opponents by 18.1 pts per 100 possessions. Good enough defensive rating with excellent offensive rating.

Both are in the 97th percentile in net rating. Around the same number of possessions so far (< 140).
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#296 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:19 pm

Over the last 9 games, Tatum averaging 29/9/4 on a 58% TS, and a net rating of +14. Smart also with a net rating of +14 over that time. That’s an insane number, considering it’s been without Jaylen for 8 of the 9 games.

This version of Tatum is an MVP caliber player, need him to keep up the effort off ball, and defensively.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,508

Post#297 » by snowman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Half-Full wrote:

Read on Twitter

I will tip my hat (if I wore one) and PROUDLY eat some crow for my opinions on G. Will. He has turned into a decent role player, and a regular rotation player, one that I didn't think he had in him. GRANT WILLIAMS......I am sorry.

With that being said, I think there were a few of us, including me, that forgot about the "sophmore slump". 2nd year players seem to hit a wall, just like G. Will and Langford did last year and now they are regular rotation players. Let's make sure we don't treat Nesmith and Pritchard the same way, and give up on them to early. Let's wait until 20 games into their 3rd season before judging them, at least that's my plan.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,588

Post#298 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:36 pm

snowman wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Read on Twitter

I will tip my hat (if I wore one) and PROUDLY eat some crow for my opinions on G. Will. He has turned into a decent role player, and a regular rotation player, one that I didn't think he had in him. GRANT WILLIAMS......I am sorry.

With that being said, I think there were a few of us, including me, that forgot about the "sophmore slump". 2nd year players seem to hit a wall, just like G. Will and Langford did last year and now they are regular rotation players. Let's make sure we don't treat Nesmith and Pritchard the same way, and give up on them to early. Let's wait until 20 games into their 3rd season before judging them, at least that's my plan.

you can't truly give up on them as long as they are Cs, but we also can't expect Ime to force them when they play terribly. we are trying to win. We want the people who are performing well to play, which doesn't mean we gave up on nee and pritch. If POBO brought Hunter back, deep down I would think he could still be good. :o

I'm not saying this as if it's about me, just in general, most folks are waiting. few people who never liked guys will speak up and some who like them will too, but pretty much all of us wish they turn out great.

s/n: I hear about most guys danny has drafted over the last few seasons after leaving the Cs, but I never hear about hunter, I need a "where are they now" episode!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#299 » by La Flame » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:12 pm

snowman wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah I've kinda grown on him now too. I regret all the "cant williams" posts I have and-1'd lmao, that corner 3 looks wet. He is a pretty smart player and looks like we have our PJ Tucker that's better on quicker guards and knows when to pass
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#300 » by SatchSanders » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:25 pm

snowman wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think Nesmith will grow this season and be a solid contributor next, replacing Richardson. He needs to get a bit more under control defensively and understand the schemes better. Then the game will slow down for him and he can let his shot come forth. He's going to remain behind Langford in the pecking order though. Langford's much better defensively and more versatile offensively.

Brad must be looking for an opportunity to include Pritchard in a package for a talent. Would be nice to showcase him a bit before the deadline; some team may convince itself that he's on the Seth Curry trajectory (he's not).

Return to Boston Celtics