Joe Dumars
47%

Total votes: 19

SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Klay Thompson vs Prime Joe Dumars 

Post#1 » by SHAQ32 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:13 am

I think there are several parallels between them as players, including perceived two-way excellence and not measuring out great in specific metrics. Who was better defensively, and who scored better overall relative to the league/era they played?
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Re: Klay Thompson vs Prime Joe Dumars 

Post#2 » by KobesScarf » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:47 am

Dumars much better defensively and a much better ball handler/playmaker. Klay is a much better scorer.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:21 am

Not sure Dumars is that much better defensively. Against PGs, he was quicker and had a stronger lower base; against wings, Klay is longer and has a much bigger wingspan. Dumars you could shoot over.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#4 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:29 pm

KobesScarf wrote:Dumars much better defensively and a much better ball handler/playmaker. Klay is a much better scorer.

Klay is a better shooter but I feel like as overall scorers there isn't that much difference. I mean the proof is in the pudding I think. Klay while playing next to the perfect player(s) to compliment his skill set maxed out at 22.3ppg and 111 ts+. Joe otoh maxed out at 23.5 on 104 ts+. To me Joe's overall skills as a combo guard push him past Klay as an all around player. Defense is also in Joe's advantage imo.
henshao
Pro Prospect
And1: 442

Post#5 » by henshao » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:Dumars much better defensively and a much better ball handler/playmaker. Klay is a much better scorer.

Klay is a better shooter but I feel like as overall scorers there isn't that much difference. I mean the proof is in the pudding I think. Klay while playing next to the perfect player(s) to compliment his skill set maxed out at 22.3ppg and 111 ts+. Joe otoh maxed out at 23.5 on 104 ts+. To me Joe's overall skills as a combo guard push him past Klay as an all around player. Defense is also in Joe's advantage imo.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

what I like about Dumars is similar. He can genuinely run point or two-guard, has shooting range out to 3, and defends as well as anyone you can hope to find at his height. Although Klay sometimes gets absolutely nuclear hot I don't think it's enough to overtake Joe, who also has greater locker room positives based on what others say of him
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#6 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:48 pm

henshao wrote:
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

what I like about Dumars is similar. He can genuinely run point or two-guard, has shooting range out to 3, and defends as well as anyone you can hope to find at his height. Although Klay sometimes gets absolutely nuclear hot I don't think it's enough to overtake Joe, who also has greater locker room positives based on what others say of him

I think that's the original wording. In modern times it's been abbreviated to what I wrote above.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#7 » by prolific passer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:31 am

Picked Dumars. Just think he had a more complete game.

Return to Player Comparisons