ImageImageImage

2021-22 Season Discussion and Speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Do you truly expect the Suns to win the finals this year?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 33

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Re: 2021-22 Season Discussion and Speculation 

Post#1041 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:There are a lot of tough games there. 3 against the Warriors, @Brooklyn, NY, CLEV, LAC, possibly Portland who beat us by 29 the first time, Washington, Charlotte and maybe Boston. None of those are particularly easy or something I would immediately chalk up as a win. We haven't played that well for a lot of quarters. We struggled in both Dallas games without Luka and I think every team I named is tougher than a Luka-less Dallas team.

I've totally wiped that from my memory. Had to look back at the results to verify that we did get destroyed in that 3rd game and then the sky fell on our heads when we lost to the Kings the following game to go down 1-3. Then our winning streak began.

I'm fairly certain we will a few times this season have a lot of people complaining about how bad we look and bad losses and who's fault it is, etc.

We will inevitably have a bad shooting night or two or three when they other team is hot..no one may really be at fault. It happens.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,623

Post#1042 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:There are a lot of tough games there. 3 against the Warriors, @Brooklyn, NY, CLEV, LAC, possibly Portland who beat us by 29 the first time, Washington, Charlotte and maybe Boston. None of those are particularly easy or something I would immediately chalk up as a win. We haven't played that well for a lot of quarters. We struggled in both Dallas games without Luka and I think every team I named is tougher than a Luka-less Dallas team.

I've totally wiped that from my memory. Had to look back at the results to verify that we did get destroyed in that 3rd game and then the sky fell on our heads when we lost to the Kings the following game to go down 1-3. Then our winning streak began.

I'm fairly certain we will a few times this season have a lot of people complaining about how bad we look and bad losses and who's fault it is, etc.

We will inevitably have a bad shooting night or two or three when they other team is hot..no one may really be at fault. It happens.

Yeah that's to be expected. I would be worried if we were close to 21-21 but not gonna freak out at 1-3. I think this upcoming trip is going to set off a few people if we have a bad stretch, should probably mentally prepare for that after this amazing run
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
MPT
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1043 » by MPT » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:For new poll....how many do you think we win out of the 15 games through Christmas?

Voted for 11+. Team's rolling during a part of the season surrounded by overdue fatigue & roster adjustments. And our voodoo doll-esque jog doesn't look to be drying up that much. I'd check the box for 12 W's. We'll get a gut punch from a team like the Hornets randomly and I'm sure, drop one to Curry (maybe with a Klay sighting in Dec?) But right now, it's team ball with 36 chambers of death.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1044 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:18 am

MPT wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:For new poll....how many do you think we win out of the 15 games through Christmas?

Voted for 11+. Team's rolling during a part of the season surrounded by overdue fatigue & roster adjustments. And our voodoo doll-esque jog doesn't look to be drying up that much. I'd check the box for 12 W's. We'll get a gut punch from a team like the Hornets randomly and I'm sure, drop one to Curry (maybe with a Klay sighting in Dec?) But right now, it's team ball with 36 chambers of death.

I could see us winning the first 4. I could see us losing 1 or 2 to GS, losing to the Clippers on the road, Washington and possibly Portland. But we likely win 2 of those 5 and lose one of our next 3 and another random one. So I think 10-5 sounds about right but I won't be surprised if we win 11 or 12 or even 8 or 9. I don't think we have played a really tough team at full strength or even near full strength yet. I think Portland was healthy but are they even that good?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,461

Post#1045 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:30 am

Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson) Tweeted:
That's now back-to-back games the ShamPayne second unit four-player grouping of Cam Payne, Landry Shamet, Cam Johnson and JaVale McGee have combined for 48 points.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty awesome for sure!
Would be great to find that elusive versatile small forward that could play as a defensive connector between Shamet and Johnson. Not sure it could be Hutchinson or maybe Wainwright perhaps? Wainwright is supposed to have some PJ Tucker potential. Would Thad Young ( if still a possibility) actually give our bench elite depth? How good could our bench be if we could reacquire Torrey Craig to bolster that 3/4 bench role?
MPT
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1046 » by MPT » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MPT wrote:

I could see us winning the first 4. I could see us losing 1 or 2 to GS, losing to the Clippers on the road, Washington and possibly Portland. But we likely win 2 of those 5 and lose one of our next 3 and another random one. So I think 10-5 sounds about right but I won't be surprised if we win 11 or 12 or even 8 or 9. I don't think we have played a really tough team at full strength or even near full strength yet. I think Portland was healthy but are they even that good?

That's the thing. It's like we're still expecting the green font. At the same time, how is that not disingenuous with the reality of it all. What team so far is at full strength? Whole lot of the world-beaters conjured up over the past few years are coming up less than short. It's feeling like the Sun's might be edging in on remixing the league again.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1047 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 am

MPT wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MPT wrote:

That's the thing. It's like we're still expecting the green font. At the same time, how is that not disingenuous with the reality of it all. What team so far is at full strength? Whole lot of the world-beaters conjured up over the past few years are coming up less than short. It's feeling like the Sun's might be edging in on remixing the league again.

Possibly, but I'd like to re-assess after this stretch. It's just hard when you've played one of the easiest schedules and the tough teams you played were missing a superstar and/or 3 best players. But we are taking care of business, even if we squeak by some bad teams.

I think part of it is how many great teams are there really right now? I think the Clips would be great with Kawhi and Denver would be very tough at full strength. Miami looks pretty loaded and are tough. Utah is tough. We know the Bucks are good but they've been banged up. The Nets are missing Kyrie but Harden looks like a shell of himself.

But you have teams like the Bulls and Wizards with some of the best records in the east. How good are those teams?

I think CP3 is a very top tier player..one of the best all time...and he is our leader of a team with a lot of talent...so I do like our chances against anyone. You could obviously say the same about the Warriors too and they have a ton of playoff experience, even if it's just Curry, Klay, Draymond and Iggy with it. Porter with some. Wiggins and Poole looking good though. It looks like we have a clear top 3 in the west. Who knows if the Lakers will ever get it together?

The Clips are in 4th and started like 1-4 as well, so since then they've been like 9-3 and they played us pretty even in the playoffs...their wins they blew us out...our wins were closer and obviously game 2 could have gone either way. Though of course Paul had COVID for a couple games.

I am really curious how Klay will look when he comes back. He is already playing 5 on 5. Not sure if he will be back by our first two games...probably not but likely back by Christmas unless they are rolling and want to be extra careful but he's apparently almost ready to return.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1048 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson) Tweeted:
That's now back-to-back games the ShamPayne second unit four-player grouping of Cam Payne, Landry Shamet, Cam Johnson and JaVale McGee have combined for 48 points.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty awesome for sure!
Would be great to find that elusive versatile small forward that could play as a defensive connector between Shamet and Johnson. Not sure it could be Hutchinson or maybe Wainwright perhaps? Wainwright is supposed to have some PJ Tucker potential. Would Thad Young ( if still a possibility) actually give our bench elite depth? How good could our bench be if we could reacquire Torrey Craig to bolster that 3/4 bench role?

+1

It's a really potent, fast paced and at times, straight up hilarious line up when McGee does his thing. Honestly, this line up would be perfect to have a Torrey Craig type in there. I hate that we're still talking about him (I'm guilty too) like bringing bringing up an ex-GF but someone like him would be really awesome in that lineup since he's athletic, long, rebounds well, can finish and can shoot the 3 occasionally.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,461

Post#1049 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:15 am

Locked On Suns Podcast (@LockedOnPHXSuns) Tweeted:
Suns bench +/- tonight is something to behold https://t.co/pdaEk4Aw2K
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1050 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Thad Young takes 0 threes so would need to figure out what he does on offense given McGee is so dominant in the paint.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1051 » by BobbieL » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Thad Young takes 0 threes so would need to figure out what he does on offense given McGee is so dominant in the paint.

I watched last night to see Thad Young play

Eddie J mentioned he would be a popular name for playoff teams to want to add to their roster

If he is bought out - Suns should be in the mix. They can offer the other half of the MLE
Stark
Junior
And1: 671

Post#1052 » by Stark » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Thad Young takes 0 threes so would need to figure out what he does on offense given McGee is so dominant in the paint.

Thad Young and current Spurs is not a very good match i think he would shine more around good shooters/scorers/finishers which Suns have. I appreciate McGee's dominance in the paint and hustle but his decision making is still horrible when try to do something other than finish around the rim and i still believe that he is horrible against small ball. So Thad would be a solution against small-ball line-ups we might face in playoffs. Imagine a scenario in the playoffs against a team like Mavs or Clips where we are short-handed against their small ball (Luke/PG as the main ball-handler) and have to rely on McGee/Frank on heavy minutes. It could lead to a disaster easily. Of course I'm not saying Thad Young is some sort of a huge piece which unlock the path for the trophy but still it would be cool to have a player like him on the roster.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1053 » by Bogyo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:18 pm

Stark wrote:

Thad Young and current Spurs is not a very good match i think he would shine more around good shooters/scorers/finishers which Suns have. I appreciate McGee's dominance in the paint and hustle but his decision making is still horrible when try to do something other than finish around the rim and i still believe that he is horrible against small ball. So Thad would be a solution against small-ball line-ups we might face in playoffs. Imagine a scenario in the playoffs against a team like Mavs or Clips where we are short-handed against their small ball (Luke/PG as the main ball-handler) and have to rely on McGee/Frank on heavy minutes. It could lead to a disaster easily. Of course I'm not saying Thad Young is some sort of a huge piece which unlock the path for the trophy but still it would be cool to have a player like him on the roster.

Yep, by the look of things we need a big athletic wing more, as McGee fit that role like a glove. Craig would be nice to have back, or somebodly like that.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#1054 » by matt131 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Stark wrote:

Yep, by the look of things we need a big athletic wing more, as McGee fit that role like a glove. Craig would be nice to have back, or somebodly like that.
He's a bit too expensive and probably unobtainable, but I'd want Harrison Barnes on this team. Run him as a backup PF or backup SF. Can create his own shot, gets to the line more than anyone on our team, and shoots a fair percentage from three. Not sure he'd be happy coming off the bench though.

Paul / Payne
Booker / Shamet
Bridges / Johnson
Crowder / Barnes
Ayton / McGee

Not sure any team could match our depth. Even if you had to cut McGee's and Shamet's playing time during the playoffs, Payne, Barnes, and Johnson as the bench rotation is so incredibly solid. I doubt the kings would take Dario, Smith, filler, and picks, but heck, they've done stupider things before.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#1055 » by darealjuice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm

I'd just expect us to play the buyout market for another late season addition like Craig. We don't have a lot to offer as far as draft picks, and Jalen Smith is probably our only non-rotation player that could have some value to other teams. Thad could be a buyout option down the road given his role and the Spurs young movement, but we'll see what happens there.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1056 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:38 pm

I was not really happy to give up a first in addition to Saric or whatever for Thad, but on the buyout market, that would be great. He may want more of a starter type role though given he will be a FA. And as much as some people would want it, he wouldn't start ahead of Crowder.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1057 » by BobbieL » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I was not really happy to give up a first in addition to Saric or whatever for Thad, but on the buyout market, that would be great. He may want more of a starter type role though given he will be a FA. And as much as some people would want it, he wouldn't start ahead of Crowder.

I probably was willing to add a second for Saric and Smith but not a first. As it is, the Suns should be a possibility in the buyout market. The Suns do have the rest of the MLE to offer and I think, they can still apply for the DPE for Saric by January which would be worth I think $4.2m or thereabouts. So that might be attractive for Young too - make a bit higher than the vet minimum

Warriors, Nets, Bucks, Lakers - all probably will be involved. But if the Suns keep playing at a 75% (or higher pace) - they will be a possibility

Names I have thought of
Thad Young
Goran Dragic
Gary Harris
Rubio at one point but with Sexton out and playing well..
Love still is a possibility

I am sure others will come out
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1058 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 pm

matt131 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
Stark wrote:

He's a bit too expensive and probably unobtainable, but I'd want Harrison Barnes on this team. Run him as a backup PF or backup SF. Can create his own shot, gets to the line more than anyone on our team, and shoots a fair percentage from three. Not sure he'd be happy coming off the bench though.

Paul / Payne
Booker / Shamet
Bridges / Johnson
Crowder / Barnes
Ayton / McGee

Not sure any team could match our depth. Even if you had to cut McGee's and Shamet's playing time during the playoffs, Payne, Barnes, and Johnson as the bench rotation is so incredibly solid. I doubt the kings would take Dario, Smith, filler, and picks, but heck, they've done stupider things before.

Barnes is playing some of his best basketball of his career and still owed $18m after the $20m he's on this season. If we're talking about expensive and unobtainable...Barnes is that guy more so than Craig or Thad
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#1059 » by matt131 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Paul / Payne
Booker / Shamet
Bridges / Johnson
Crowder / Barnes
Ayton / McGee

Barnes is playing some of his best basketball of his career and still owed $18m after the $20m he's on this season. If we're talking about expensive and unobtainable...Barnes is that guy more so than Craig or Thad
Right. My syntax was a bit wonky; I was referring to Barnes as the expensive and unobtainable player. It's a pipe dream, but like I mentioned, the Kings have done stupider things lol
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1060 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Thad Young as a buy out guy, hell yeah sign me up.

Thad Young in a trade giving up a 1st.. no thanks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns