ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#621 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:33 pm

I think it's a mistake to limit him to a 4 or 5. He can absolutely play there but he's quick and explosive enough to play the 3 and it may well be his most explosive position. LeBron, PG13, Kawhi, it's not like we don't have precedent.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#622 » by Badly Browned » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:26 pm

As a rookie and on the Warriors he's definitely a 4.

In the future if/when he develops 3pt shooting ability, he can play more along the perimeter as a 3.

If he develops some Point Forward ability then kinda doesn't matter if he's 3/4.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#623 » by EvanZ » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:58 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I think it's a mistake to limit him to a 4 or 5. He can absolutely play there but he's quick and explosive enough to play the 3 and it may well be his most explosive position. LeBron, PG13, Kawhi, it's not like we don't have precedent.

The 3 guys you mentioned all move up to 4 or even 5 in the playoffs.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#624 » by EvanZ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:01 am

People thought Harrison Barnes was a wing for years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#625 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 am

EvanZ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I think it's a mistake to limit him to a 4 or 5. He can absolutely play there but he's quick and explosive enough to play the 3 and it may well be his most explosive position. LeBron, PG13, Kawhi, it's not like we don't have precedent.

The 3 guys you mentioned all move up to 4 or even 5 in the playoffs.

Maybe you didn't read it or just have a comprehension issue but I said "limit him to a 4 or 5".
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#626 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:20 am

EvanZ wrote:People thought Harrison Barnes was a wing for years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

What people? In his 3rd season (14-15) he already played PF in the death lineup in the Finals and won a ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#627 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:59 pm

I'd like to see more minutes for Kuminga....We know what we have in Wiggins, JTA etc..
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#628 » by HiRez » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:13 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I'd like to see more minutes for Kuminga....We know what we have in Wiggins, JTA etc..

I think he can get them, Kerr has actually been playing him in some meaningful situations this year. But that disastrous run in Cleveland really set him back, he needs to show he can resist his tendency to shoot 3s (open or not) when he's clearly so much more effective going downhill and finishing at the rim.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#629 » by thunderdunk » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:12 am

Agree with HiRes. JK's something like 1/13 on 3's thus far. He needs to limit his offense to what he can do efficiently for now. That said, he has way better footwork than I thought he would have, and appears to guard pretty well at this stage. I'm feeling much better about the pick than I was a few months ago. Kerr should give him more minutes as long as he focuses on cutting and driving to the basket and passing on offense.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#630 » by floppymoose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 am

He was 25% on threes in the g league, and he is only shooting wide open ones for GS. He’s just on a cold streak.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,176

Post#631 » by Impuniti » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 am

I think it was the Bill Simmons podcast? but one of the Bay reporters was there. Way he phrased it, is Kuminga has forced himself to get minutes earlier than planned due to exceptional play in practice. He's the one that guards Steph at practice and has managed to block his 3, which surprised Curry. Even Kerr mentioned it in an interview that he gave him time because of how he did in practice before he jumped into the rotation.

It seems like he's having a crazy good impression on his teammates and coaching staff at practice. Still seems so green, but his defensive game already is incredibly promising. They will need to fix his shot in the next 2 years so he becomes a respectable shooter.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#632 » by wco81 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 am

Impuniti wrote:
It seems like he's having a crazy good impression on his teammates and coaching staff at practice. Still seems so green, but his defensive game already is incredibly promising. They will need to fix his shot in the next 2 years so he becomes a respectable shooter.

He's going to have to be a gym rat, like Poole.

He may want to hire his own shooting coach to work on the shot in the offseason.

His agent should be emphasizing to him that to get a big second contract, he's going to have to have some 3-point efficiency or else.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#633 » by floppymoose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 am

Kuminga already middle of pack on on/off splits: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2022.html#pbp::11
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,176

Post#634 » by Impuniti » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:53 pm

floppymoose wrote:Kuminga already middle of pack on on/off splits: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2022.html#pbp::11

Those JP numbers..

:oops:
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#635 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Impuniti wrote:I think it was the Bill Simmons podcast? but one of the Bay reporters was there. Way he phrased it, is Kuminga has forced himself to get minutes earlier than planned due to exceptional play in practice. He's the one that guards Steph at practice and has managed to block his 3, which surprised Curry. Even Kerr mentioned it in an interview that he gave him time because of how he did in practice before he jumped into the rotation.

Yeah it was the Bill Simmons podcast and the guest was Marcus Thompson II. Great episode.
#DubNation
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#636 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Impuniti wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Kuminga already middle of pack on on/off splits: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2022.html#pbp::11

Those JP numbers..

:oops:

On/off splits are an odd stat. Klay's on/off numbers are not particularly good either.
squarepimpin
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#637 » by squarepimpin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:17 pm

In my opinion, IF Kuminga does not become a 3, a big wing, - Brown, Kawhi, PG, Grant hillish' - then he will not be an all star just a sometime starter an average to good NBA player - Harkless, Patrick Patterson types - Maybe Marcus Morriss. People need to stop acting like 6'7 Centers are the normal. Draymond defensively is one of a kind. He (JK) is no five. And if he is a PF in the future then I can safely guarantee that he never solved his shooting issues, FT's, and handles did not continue to improve. So I am hoping that for all of you that say he will never be a 3, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. I hope...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#638 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 pm

squarepimpin wrote:In my opinion, IF Kuminga does not become a 3, a big wing, - Brown, Kawhi, PG, Grant hillish' - then he will not be an all star just a sometime starter an average to good NBA player - Harkless, Patrick Patterson types - Maybe Marcus Morriss. People need to stop acting like 6'7 Centers are the normal. Draymond defensively is one of a kind. He (JK) is no five. And if he is a PF in the future then I can safely guarantee that he never solved his shooting issues, FT's, and handles did not continue to improve. So I am hoping that for all of you that say he will never be a 3, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. I hope...

he's going to be a beast in the paint, don't see him being a perimeter player like those guys. I see him more as a Bam type player.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,395

Post#639 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 pm

He doesn’t have a lot of offensive skills. He has depended on his size and athleticism until now. He’ll get better.

Right now he just needs more reps so the game slows down for him. He’s really inexperienced playing. College would have been better for him to recognize in game situations than playing in that disorganized mess in the g league.

This year he should just stick to being a lockdown defender. Drive and pass out when double team comes is all I want to see offensively from him until he practices his shot in the offseason.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#640 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:50 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:He doesn’t have a lot of offensive skills. He has depended on his size and athleticism until now. He’ll get better.

Right now he just needs more reps so the game slows down for him. He’s really inexperienced playing. College would have been better for him to recognize in game situations than playing in that disorganized mess in the g league.

This year he should just stick to being a lockdown defender. Drive and pass out when double team comes is all I want to see offensively from him until he practices his shot in the offseason.

Yeah this is what MTII mentioned in Simmons' podcast.

The Kuminga on the Warriors looks much more composed than the Kuminga that was trying to do too much in the G-League. Their observation was he looks way more in control than the normal 19-year old rookie, and that he's in the perfect situation in GSW where they can simplify his role which will help him improve in the long run.
#DubNation

Return to Golden State Warriors