ImageImage

Center Options

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Re: Center Options 

Post#421 » by Benjamin Linus » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:48 pm

I know some hate looking backwards (coulda, woulda, shoulda) but I wonder if the Lakers would have done Terry for Montrezl & KCP

Terry would have made way more sense for the Lakers instead of Russ and they could have even kept Kuzma for salary reasons. Montrezl has been killing it in Washington and would no doubt be killing it in our system
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#422 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:05 am

Benjamin Linus wrote:I know some hate looking backwards (coulda, woulda, shoulda) but I wonder if the Lakers would have done Terry for Montrezl & KCP

Terry would have made way more sense for the Lakers instead of Russ and they could have even kept Kuzma for salary reasons. Montrezl has been killing it in Washington and would no doubt be killing it in our system

Harrell does nothing to address our defensive rebounding and rim protection needs. We don't need a big taking touches off Melo and our wings. He fits us like a square peg in a round hole.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#423 » by CuseMayne » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:20 am

Agreed. We're perfectly good with our offensive weapons. We need a tall, long big who can rim protect, rebound, and catch a pass beneath the basket and dunk, lol. It'd be an absolute revalation for our defense as a whole. Everyone else has to compensate for our lack of rim protection, and we're gang rebounding all game long, which has to be draining.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#424 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 pm

CuseMayne wrote:Agreed. We're perfectly good with our offensive weapons. We need a tall, long big who can rim protect, rebound, and catch a pass beneath the basket and dunk, lol. It'd be an absolute revalation for our defense as a whole. Everyone else has to compensate for our lack of rim protection, and we're gang rebounding all game long, which has to be draining.

I think Kai will be that. He just needs to gain 40 pounds.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
bravor
Starter
And1: 731

Post#425 » by bravor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Among the young draftees, Indy does not seem to play Isaiah Jackson at all. Since they have still a logjam at pf/c with Bitadze as young prospect, maybe Pritchard & Indy would be willing to part with Jackson for minor assets (like Thor/Carey + filler, mb rights from Kulboka since Sabonis is there already or some 2nd pick)

He is a - low ceiling - project but he might be more nba ready than any other big here, especially on the defensive end.
That could provide another much needed profile in the rotation without wasting valuable assets (on the paper).
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,458

Post#426 » by GoBobs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:40 am

Richards is actually playing really well right now. Looks like he has made a huge jump from last year. He could end up being the guy.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#427 » by wilson115 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:51 am

GoBobs wrote:Richards is actually playing really well right now. Looks like he has made a huge jump from last year. He could end up being the guy.

Just a coincidence Nick's starting to look like a rotation player same year Cody's playing like a starter? Is that down to development or personnel changes?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#428 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:22 am

wilson115 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Richards is actually playing really well right now. Looks like he has made a huge jump from last year. He could end up being the guy.

Just a coincidence Nick's starting to look like a rotation player same year Cody's playing like a starter? Is that down to development or personnel changes?

Well documented that Richards was at the Spectrum center almost every day lifting weights and working on his game. He does that again this upcoming offseason he will be our opening night starter
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,458

Post#429 » by GoBobs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:58 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Well documented that Richards was at the Spectrum center almost every day lifting weights and working on his game. He does that again this upcoming offseason he will be our opening night starter

If you look at his stats per 36 min, he is averaging 14 pts, 8 reb, 2.8 blks and 7.1 fouls. So he needs to foul less is the main thing and just getting some time on the floor he will probably get a little more respect from the refs. Last couple of games he has played with really good energy.

Of course, very limited sample size so those numbers don't mean a whole lot except he deserves more time so we can see what we have.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#430 » by CuseMayne » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:28 am

GoBobs wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:Just a coincidence Nick's starting to look like a rotation player same year Cody's playing like a starter? Is that down to development or personnel changes?

If you look at his stats per 36 min, he is averaging 14 pts, 8 reb, 2.8 blks and 7.1 fouls. So he needs to foul less is the main thing and just getting some time on the floor he will probably get a little more respect from the refs. Last couple of games he has played with really good energy.

Of course, very limited sample size so those numbers don't mean a whole lot except he deserves more time so we can see what we have.

Agreed. He's gone from showing zero flashes to looking decent out there. It's really surprised me...and I think it was silly that he didn't play against the Hawks, and honestly should've played more than 9 minutes tonight against the Wizards. It wasn't because of foul trouble either because he didn't have any PFs...and looking at the box score Mason played 22 minutes, meaning Miles was our center for SEVENTEEN minutes...I mean he logged 41 minutes total and struggled badly...Richards should've played more. Last thing we need to do is burn Miles out.

PJ coming back will help, and obviously Richards has only looked "okay" for a handful of games. He is 7 feet tall with a 7 foot 4 inch wingspan though...if he can do the simple things he might be better than Mason sooner rather than later tbh.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#431 » by Roll Tide 09 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:51 am

Yeah, Miles at Center needs to stop. They’ll run him into the ground like they did Wallace at Power Forward.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#432 » by Benjamin Linus » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 am

Jaxson Hayes has fallen out of the rotation in New Orleans and Willy Hernangomez is now their backup C. Hayes kinda sucks but might have some upside as a 21 yo with size and athleticism. Sometimes centers take a few years for things to click (see Bamba, Wood, etc...) problem is that he's owed 5.3m this season and 6.8m next season

A trade will most likely involve a PJ for Hayes swap and IMO you could probably get a way better return for PJ than Hayes... but I guess you could do like PJ for Hayes and a future protected 1st or something. PJ would actually be a really nice piece for New Orleans
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#433 » by Diop » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 am

Yep, I have to tell myself what I’ve said to others. Trust the coach, he seems to know what he’s doing.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#434 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:37 pm

I wholeheartedly trust what JB is doing from a player development standpoint... we just need Plumlee out of the rotation and a better C in his place if we're trying to do anything more than reach the play-in games. I'm good enough with Nicky Dicky as a 10-15mpg backup but he shouldn't start.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#435 » by Roll Tide 09 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:39 pm

Ideally, our lineup will be like this in two years:

Ball
Rozier
Bridges
Thor
Jones

IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Post#436 » by JDR720 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 pm

Richards can play 15 or so minutes, but he isn't fixing our rebounding or defense problems. Plumlee averages more rebounds per 36 than he does.

Scoring - Richards, mainly because he can make FT's.
Rebounding - Roughly even.
Defense - Richards blocks more shots, but he also fouls too much.
Passing - Plumlee is significantly better.

Looks to me like a platoon situation. Plumlee plays when we need more offense (because he can pass). Richards plays when we need more defense. Basically a worse version of Cody/Biz.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#437 » by LofJ » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:55 pm

It seems like it's been about a decade since we had a starter quality big man. Richards looking like a viable backup option is a nice surprise though. It frees us up to combine Plumlee with another player to go out and finally add a starter quality big to the roster.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#438 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:45 pm

LofJ wrote:It seems like it's been about a decade since we had a starter quality big man. Richards looking like a viable backup option is a nice surprise though. It frees us up to combine Plumlee with another player to go out and finally add a starter quality big to the roster.

hey we had one year of Al Jefferson!
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#439 » by fatlever » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:09 pm

Roll Tide 09 wrote:Ideally, our lineup will be like this in two years:

Ball
Rozier
Bridges
Thor
Jones

thats gross. melo aint sticking around for that. ideally in 2 yrs weve added another all-star next to melo and miles. not raw bigs who will just be learning how to be rotation guys. in 2yrs i hope one of kai/thor are at least playable for 20 mins.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,259

Post#440 » by Sothron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 am

What about Holmes from Sac? He isn't elite at any one thing but he's a pretty good all around center that doesn't require touches and can board and rim protect.

Return to Charlotte Hornets