Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee) 

Post#1 » by realEAST » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:46 pm

So, wanted to start a thread on this guy.
Had pretty good showing in first two games, although against a lower level opponents. Currently posting 18p 5a 3r 1.5s in 24 minutes per game.
Tankathon moved him in the lotto following a good start to season.
for me, a biggest positive surprise along side Jabari Smith.

Didn't see much of him, but seems to have a pretty good handle and ability to change the pace, stop and go; seem to be comfortable shooting from a pull up even beyond the college 3pt range; seems to have good iq and vision, reads and reacts the movements on the court; tries to finish through the contact, although he is mostly shooting runners and floaters once inside the paint.

Those who followed him more, please chip your knowledge and wisdom in...
Who does he remind you of, what could be his ceiling, is his median outcome still worthy of consideration in lottery, etc., ypu know the drill :)

Here are highlights from his first game this season

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Re: Kenny Chandler (Tennessee) 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:28 pm

his biggest issue is the one that he'll never be able to fix...his size, otherwise his all around skill set on offense is impressive and he's a + athlete, just don't really know how a 6 foot PG fits as a lotto pick in today's NBA.

i thought Cooper should've been a top20 guy last yr but ended up dropping all the way to the 2nd round...size is king in the NBA right now for every position essentially.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#3 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:his biggest issue is the one that he'll never be able to fix...his size, otherwise his all around skill set on offense is impressive and he's a + athlete, just don't really know how a 6 foot PG fits as a lotto pick in today's NBA.

i thought Cooper should've been a top20 guy last yr but ended up dropping all the way to the 2nd round...size is king in the NBA right now for every position essentially.

Yeah I think chandler is a much better shooter than Cooper though. Cooper shot 22.8% from 3 as a freshman last year. That's really bad. I think for Cooper it was the combination of his lack of size + lack of shooting + lack of defense that caused him to drop.

Chandler shot 39% from 3 at U19 tournament this summer and 85.7% from 3 so far this season at Tennessee, obviously crazy small sample size but it's clear that Chandler can flat out shoot the ball, he was a really good shooter in high school too. Defensively he looks better than Cooper too. Really tough, tenacious. Saw a clip someone posted on twitter of him pressuring the heck out of the ball out on the perimeter from Tennessee's game the other night - looked like Davion / Chris Paul type defense.

The question is, what happens in a switch heavy scheme if teams just start switching him onto bigs and abusing him down low? And also with his size - as he starts facing better college teams and then in the NBA with bigger defenders, can he still shoot as good and see over the top of defenses to make those passes with his size?

Not putting him in lottery but I think with all of the good things he does, along with his speed (might be the fastest player in the draft, plus changes speeds very well) and he also seems to have an edge to him, like a chip on his shoulder which i like. At this point, anywhere outside the lottery is fair game to take him IMO. I've got him in the 15-22 range..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Just now seeing that the title of this thread is Kenny Chandler.

I think you accidentally are combining the names Kennedy Chandler with Kenny Chesney lol

Might want to fix it :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,202

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:06 am

clyde21 wrote:his biggest issue is the one that he'll never be able to fix...his size, otherwise his all around skill set on offense is impressive and he's a + athlete, just don't really know how a 6 foot PG fits as a lotto pick in today's NBA.

Thinking about the best point guards in the league, though, and what size are most of them? Like, Chandler is small, yes, but not outlier small - and he has some intriguing skills. I like him a lot. Right now the closest comp I have is college Mike Conley where there is just zero wasted movement or effort, everything is precise, he can score at every level well enough to be a threat and he is just smart on the court on both ends. I'm not saying he will be as good as Conley, but I have no issues with taking Chandler late lottery.

6-1 and under all-stars in the last 10 years: Mike Conley, Chris Paul, Kemba Walker, Trae Young, Kyle Lowry, Donovan Mitchell, Rajon Rondo, Isaiah Thomas

Not a ton, but not a tiny amount, either.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Re: Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee) 

Post#6 » by ItsDanger » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Nice block near beginning. Just glides on the court. Fun to watch.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:42 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Thinking about the best point guards in the league, though, and what size are most of them? Like, Chandler is small, yes, but not outlier small - and he has some intriguing skills. I like him a lot. Right now the closest comp I have is college Mike Conley where there is just zero wasted movement or effort, everything is precise, he can score at every level well enough to be a threat and he is just smart on the court on both ends. I'm not saying he will be as good as Conley, but I have no issues with taking Chandler late lottery.

6-1 and under all-stars in the last 10 years: Mike Conley, Chris Paul, Kemba Walker, Trae Young, Kyle Lowry, Donovan Mitchell, Rajon Rondo, Isaiah Thomas

eh, not saying he can't be a good player in the NBA, but he's gonna need some outlier physical tools or skill sets to really be able to consistently contribute, Trae has a ridiculous handle/shooting combo, obviously Cp3 is a freak passer and defender, also a guy like D-Mitch is probably closer to 6-2 and has a 6-10 w/s so he's not really all that undersized.

not saying I don't like Chandler or that he can't be successful, but if you're gonna take a 6ft PG in the lotto, I feel like he needs some outlier athleticism (Morant) or outlier skills (Trae) to pull the trigger, and even Trae for me was on the lower end of the lotto b/c of it.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#8 » by realEAST » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Chandler is obe of those guys you'd be hesitant to take in lottery, but nab him with #16, and he is suddenly a steal (something like C. Anthony, and I even like Chandler more as a prospect, think he is a better playmaker, although not as physical)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,202

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:39 pm

clyde21 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

eh, not saying he can't be a good player in the NBA, but he's gonna need some outlier physical tools or skill sets to really be able to consistently contribute, Trae has a ridiculous handle/shooting combo, obviously Cp3 is a freak passer and defender, also a guy like D-Mitch is probably closer to 6-2 and has a 6-10 w/s so he's not really all that undersized.

not saying I don't like Chandler or that he can't be successful, but if you're gonna take a 6ft PG in the lotto, I feel like he needs some outlier athleticism (Morant) or outlier skills (Trae) to pull the trigger, and even Trae for me was on the lower end of the lotto b/c of it.

Morant is 6-3. Mitchell has a big wingspan, but he's not any taller than Conley. I'd also argue that Chandler might have outlier game management skills - we will have to continue watching him, obviously, but so far things have looked good.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Thinking about the best point guards in the league, though, and what size are most of them? Like, Chandler is small, yes, but not outlier small - and he has some intriguing skills. I like him a lot. Right now the closest comp I have is college Mike Conley where there is just zero wasted movement or effort, everything is precise, he can score at every level well enough to be a threat and he is just smart on the court on both ends. I'm not saying he will be as good as Conley, but I have no issues with taking Chandler late lottery.

Morant is 6-3. Mitchell has a big wingspan, but he's not any taller than Conley. I'd also argue that Chandler might have outlier game management skills - we will have to continue watching him, obviously, but so far things have looked good.

that's tbd, certainly open to it, but he needs to have it if I am gonna consider him lotto, even in a relatively weak class (i know some ppl disagree with this).
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,020

Post#11 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Dec 4, 2021 8:42 pm

top 5 in my mock
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,095

Post#12 » by The Moose » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:27 am

does he have any Darius Garland in him? I feel like there is a bit of similarity
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,725

Post#13 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sun Dec 5, 2021 8:38 am

The Moose wrote:does he have any Darius Garland in him? I feel like there is a bit of similarity

He is not nearly as creative or advanced with his handle, but I think he is a better athlete with his speed and leaping. I think that same athleticism gives him the edge between the 2 defensively, but how much that comes to life in the NBA considering his height situation remains to be seen. Also both are good shooters, though I think Garland was less bashful in pulling up from really deep ranges.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,650

Post#14 » by stormi » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:56 pm

The Moose wrote:does he have any Darius Garland in him? I feel like there is a bit of similarity

Nah. DG is an elite playmaker and a bomber from 3.

KC gives me more Maxey vibes if anything. Hustle, speed, finishing around the rim.

DG is on another level from either.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#15 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:11 pm

I think I'm all in on Chandler. He may up in the convo for #1 for me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#16 » by TheBunk » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:31 pm

Smarter player than Sharife Cooper, and unlike Cooper, his playmaking looks more functional to team success rather than his own stats.

I don't wanna take guesses on where a small guard ends up in the draft but i'm pretty confident this is a lottery player.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#17 » by TheBunk » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Ok i'm gonna go top 10 now. He'll score in the NBA, no problem. I actually don't think he's showing his full gifts. Doesn't need to go 100 to do what he wants to do against this competition.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#18 » by EMG518 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 6:35 am

I think he is getting way too much hype. 2nd rounder maybe.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#19 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 3:24 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Chandler isn't 6'1", though. He's 6'0".

6'0" and under all-stars the list is much smaller - Kemba, CP3, Lowry, Isaiah Thomas
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#20 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:52 pm

short guy, below the rim player (iow, he's no ja or donovan) who who is a subpar shooter. very good college basketball player, but short guys who can't shoot don't get taken in the 1st round. #sharifcooper. 2nd rounder. and imo, cooper was probably a better overall player than chandler.

Return to NBA Draft