ImageImageImage

Fun facts and unreal stats

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,292

Fun facts and unreal stats 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 pm

I figured we could use a miscellaneous thread where we can share wolves related news, stats, facts that are interesting but not constrained by topics.

I was curious about our defensive rebounding rating and for fun I checked our offensive rebounding stats. Thanks to a certain V8 we are number one in offensive rebounding in the entire league.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/offensive-rebounding/?sort=OREB&dir=1
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,225

Re: Fun facts and unreal stats 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

I heard Dlo has some really good defensive stats this year.

I remember that Vanderbilt got zero offers in Free Agency, those teams goofed hard. He probably could have been had pretty cheap and having a guy like him off the bench of a deep playoff team would be huge. Can't believe no one threw a bone at him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#3 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Calinks wrote:I heard Dlo has some really good defensive stats this year.

I remember that Vanderbilt got zero offers in Free Agency, those teams goofed hard. He probably could have been had pretty cheap and having a guy like him off the bench of a deep playoff team would be huge. Can't believe no one threw a bone at him.

We would have matched. Finch basically said he is an advanced numbers guys wet dream. To think we got him for KBD straight up.

It’s weird that we keep getting these guys who are so talented in one area and so flat elsewhere. Beasley on offense, V8 and JO on defense. If they could ever be above average on the other side of the ball they would be absolute studs. Heck, even average would make them a pretty penny.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#4 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:52 pm

I thnik we got so many of them because Rosas liked the bargain bin. I respect his tactic but he basically tried to buy low on a ton of players in hopes that some would be good. It worked pretty well in getting role guys though we had to go through a lot of duds.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#5 » by TaylorTag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Still early in the year, so stats are suspect, but Dane Moore mentioned that the Wolves are like +23 with our Big3 plus PatBev on the floor, but without PatBev the Big3 is like -0.4 or something...

If I am the Wolves I am trying to identify a younger player that fits PatBev's profile to start developing a replacement. The problem is that there are not too many combo guards that can space the floor on offense and clamp down the perimeter on defense.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#6 » by a8bil » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Still early in the year, so stats are suspect, but Dane Moore mentioned that the Wolves are like +23 with our Big3 plus PatBev on the floor, but without PatBev the Big3 is like -0.4 or something...

If I am the Wolves I am trying to identify a younger player that fits PatBev's profile to start developing a replacement. The problem is that there are not too many combo guards that can space the floor on offense and clamp down the perimeter on defense.
A 3 and D PG who really is proficient at both would do wonders for this team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,807

Post#7 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:20 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Still early in the year, so stats are suspect, but Dane Moore mentioned that the Wolves are like +23 with our Big3 plus PatBev on the floor, but without PatBev the Big3 is like -0.4 or something...

I'm keeping an eye on McKinley Wright down in Iowa for that reason. We know he has the tenacious bulldog mentality. And currently hitting over 60% of his 3s on 6+ attempts per game. If his shot sticks, we have another homegrown PG!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#8 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Klomp wrote:

I'm keeping an eye on McKinley Wright down in Iowa for that reason. We know he has the tenacious bulldog mentality. And currently hitting over 60% of his 3s on 6+ attempts per game. If his shot sticks, we have another homegrown PG!

Unfortunately he is still short as all get out. Still a major upgrade over JMAC would be nice.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#9 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 am

I say it all the time but I think the impact of quality veteran players is massive on teams. The wolves have been very negligent of getting vet players to play big roles on their teams. I just think you are asking for all kinds of issues when the vast majority of your squad is very young. Guys like Pat Bev are massive.

I think we could still use 2 more impact veterans who will get real minutes. Vet big, and another guy. They go a long way towards transforming your team.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:48 am

Fun fact. Against the 28th ranked defensive rebounding Wolves the Heat got 4 offensive rebounds for the game. Crazy stat, Vando had 7 offensive boards by himself.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#11 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 am

Tonight marked the 9th time the Wolves held an opponent under 100 points in a game. That number would be 10 but we pulled all our first and second string players against Houston and they got into triple digits in 3rd string garbage time. Not bad for a team that was 27th out of 30 last season in defense.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:49 pm

The defense is the ultimate stat of the season right now.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:52 pm

With last night's win, Chris Finch (.435) moved up to third in franchise history in coaching win percentage behind Flip Saunders (.521) and Tom Thibodeau (.475), passing Dwane Casey (.434).

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,700

Post#14 » by minimus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:21 pm

Klomp wrote:

I was very disappointed to see Tyus go, so I was very happy when I first saw McKinley Wright play for Wolves. I hope he will develop into tough, hard nosed backup PG for us.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,944

Post#15 » by Nick K » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:41 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I was very disappointed to see Tyus go, so I was very happy when I first saw McKinley Wright play for Wolves. I hope he will develop into tough, hard nosed backup PG for us.

If McKinley could score even a little he could be the answer at backup PG.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#16 » by Dewey » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm

winforlose wrote:Tonight marked the 9th time the Wolves held an opponent under 100 points in a game. That number would be 10 but we pulled all our first and second string players against Houston and they got into triple digits in 3rd string garbage time. Not bad for a team that was 27th out of 30 last season in defense.

Impressive shift … and I believe Wright fits the model. I’d find a way to bring him in
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
winforlose
General Manager

Post#17 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Dewey wrote:
winforlose wrote:Tonight marked the 9th time the Wolves held an opponent under 100 points in a game. That number would be 10 but we pulled all our first and second string players against Houston and they got into triple digits in 3rd string garbage time. Not bad for a team that was 27th out of 30 last season in defense.

Impressive shift … and I believe Wright fits the model. I’d find a way to bring him in

Move Leo to cover Prince’s minutes give backup PG minutes to Wright. I just worry his size will be an issue. Summer and G league are nothing like the NBA.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#18 » by NebWolvesFan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm

winforlose wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Move Leo to cover Prince’s minutes give backup PG minutes to Wright. I just worry his size will be an issue. Summer and G league are nothing like the NBA.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Wolves bring up Miller. He's a little bigger than Wright and he plays like a junkyard dog. He's averaging almost 8 boards a game at 6-0. He's also shooting 38 percent from 3.

And of course we all want him in the slam dunk contest. We have to far enough into the season where he could sign a minimum deal and the Wolves would still be under the tax.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#19 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 pm

We are last in the league in free-throw differential. Imagine how much better we would be if we could get to the line at an average rate and fouled less. The only good news about this is there is lots of room for improvement.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#20 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Calinks wrote:We are last in the league in free-throw differential. Imagine how much better we would be if we could get to the line at an average rate and fouled less. The only good news about this is there is lots of room for improvement.

Imagine if they called us even instead of allowing contact against us (every phase of the game,) but holding us to the letter of the law.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves