Total votes: 41

xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Re: Reggie Miller vs Scottie Pippen 

Post#21 » by xinxin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Colbinii wrote:
xinxin wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Bulls with Pippen as their best player couldn't make it past the second round

Pacers with Reggie as their best player went to the NBA finals

Jalen Rose was actually their best player in the 2000 regular season.

Yes, Reggie was their top scorer in the playoffs. But Jalen still averaged more assists and rebounds.

So not really definitive that Reggie “led” the Pacers to the NBA finals in 2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By this horrific logic, Pippen was the better than Jordan. After all, Pippen routinely had more assists and rebounds than Jordan.

Hell, move over Steph Curry. Draymond Green led the team in rebounds and assists.

Did you even think about this type of reasoning?

Jalen Rose was the top scorer for the pacers for the 2000 regular season. By a hair , but still higher.

What’s horrific about that logic? Higher score, more assists and rebounds = better player ? At least for the regular season.

Playoffs - Ok Miller scored more. 24 ppg, to Jalen’s 20 PPG. But Jalen had more assists and rebounds…. as I said, was Reggie still the definitive best player of the Pacers by 2000? Team leader as the elder statesman perhaps. But not necessarily the best player anymore.

magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#22 » by magicman1978 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:45 pm

It's 2021, we have stats beyond just pts, assts, rebs that can tell us who the more impactful player is.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#23 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:42 am

xinxin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
xinxin wrote:Jalen Rose was actually their best player in the 2000 regular season.

Yes, Reggie was their top scorer in the playoffs. But Jalen still averaged more assists and rebounds.

So not really definitive that Reggie “led” the Pacers to the NBA finals in 2000

By this horrific logic, Pippen was the better than Jordan. After all, Pippen routinely had more assists and rebounds than Jordan.

Hell, move over Steph Curry. Draymond Green led the team in rebounds and assists.

Jalen Rose was the top scorer for the pacers for the 2000 regular season. By a hair , but still higher.

What’s horrific about that logic? Higher score, more assists and rebounds = better player ? At least for the regular season.

Playoffs - Ok Miller scored more. 24 ppg, to Jalen’s 20 PPG. But Jalen had more assists and rebounds…. as I said, was Reggie still the definitive best player of the Pacers by 2000? Team leader as the elder statesman perhaps. But not necessarily the best player anymore.

Jalen Rose was not the top scorer, having higher PPG (much less by decimal points) doesn't mean you are the best scorer.

Again, not sure how people do not take into account efficiency when we are in 2021, Reggie Miller is a significantly better scorer than Jalen Rose, even in the regular season.

In the playoffs it's not even close.

Jalen Rose averaging slightly more assist than a player who is famous for playing off ball is not a great argument for him.

You need to strongly reevaluate how you rate and rank players. You're using the nuance of someone in elementary school (I'm being literal, not saying it just to be demeaning) by saying Rose is better because he has around the same number of points but slightly more RPG and APG. You're making it seem like he is just a better version of Reggie Miller, when they have two totally different styles, with two different levels of effectiveness.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#24 » by xinxin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:51 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
xinxin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Jalen Rose was not the top scorer, having higher PPG (much less by decimal points) doesn't mean you are the best scorer.

Again, not sure how people do not take into account efficiency when we are in 2021, Reggie Miller is a significantly better scorer than Jalen Rose, even in the regular season.

In the playoffs it's not even close.

Jalen Rose averaging slightly more assist than a player who is famous for playing off ball is not a great argument for him.

You need to strongly reevaluate how you rate and rank players. You're using the nuance of someone in elementary school (I'm being literal, not saying it just to be demeaning) by saying Rose is better because he has around the same number of points but slightly more RPG and APG. You're making it seem like he is just a better version of Reggie Miller, when they have two totally different styles, with two different levels of effectiveness.

my original post was just a comment to the statement that reggie is a better player than Pippen since Reggie was the best player in the pacers team that "he" brought to the NBA finals, as opposed to Pippen only leading the Bulls to the second round as the best player.

granted that Reggie was indeed the best player for the Pacers in 2000, by how much was he and based on what metric? if you're downplaying PPG, assists and rebounds average. since clearly Jalen was up there as well... I guess my point is, Reggie had a more complete team in 2000 as opposed to Pippen's 1994 Bulls. So Reggie being the 'leader' didnt require as much effort & therefore, it's a bad example for a comparison.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#25 » by ceiling raiser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:52 am

I think they're two sides of the same coin. The strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other, and vice versa.

If you combine them, is the hybrid player better than MJ/LeBron?
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#26 » by DNice68 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 am

Pippen is better than Reggie at everything except shooting. Yes Reggie went to the finals once, but still all he can do is score. That doesn’t make him the better player.

Return to Player Comparisons